MOVIEmeter
SEE RANK
Down 2,592 this week

Scenes from the Suburbs (2011)

 -  Short | Music  -  March 2011 (USA)
7.3
Your rating:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 -/10 X  
Ratings: 7.3/10 from 1,255 users  
Reviews: 4 user | 6 critic

Directed by Spike Jonze, Scenes from the Suburbs is a half-hour short film inspired by Arcade Fire's Grammy(r) award-winning album The Suburbs. Hailed as "absolutely f--king gorgeous" by ... See full summary »

Director:

0Check in
0Share...

User Lists

Related lists from IMDb users

a list of 323 titles
created 01 Jan 2012
 
a list of 23 titles
created 23 Jun 2012
 
a list of 42 titles
created 17 Feb 2013
 
a list of 27 titles
created 10 months ago
 
See
a list of 23 titles
created 5 months ago
 

Related Items


Connect with IMDb


Share this Rating

Title: Scenes from the Suburbs (2011)

Scenes from the Suburbs (2011) on IMDb 7.3/10

Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site? Use the HTML below.

Take The Quiz!

Test your knowledge of Scenes from the Suburbs.
1 nomination. See more awards »
Learn more

People who liked this also liked... 

Short | Comedy | Music
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 8.1/10 X  

Following the conclusion of the storyline in the "Fight For Your Right" music video, the Beasties break into a liquor store, drop acid with groupies, and get into a breakdance competition with time-traveling future versions of themselves.

Director: Adam Yauch
Stars: Elijah Wood, Danny McBride, Seth Rogen
Short | Drama | Music
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 7.3/10 X  

A short prologue of one heartbreaking history of love and the prologue of the travel told in The Darjeeling Limited (2007).

Director: Wes Anderson
Stars: Jason Schwartzman, Natalie Portman, Waris Ahluwalia
Short
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 7.1/10 X  

Kanye West in a fairytale.

Director: Spike Jonze
Stars: Kanye West, Kalen Brest, Cynthia Quiles
Demoni (2012)
Short | Music
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 6.5/10 X  
Director: Theodore Ushev
Polaroid Song (2012)
Short | Music
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 8.3/10 X  

In 1991, Lise is age 18. Gulf War ends, USSR collapses, Nirvana gives birth in a pool and three girls create the rock band Periodink. Their first concert will be, for Lise, the time to get through the age of adolescence.

Directors: Alphonse Giorgi, Yann Tivrier
Stars: Audrey Giacomini, Edouard Audouin, Nolwenn Auguste
Choros (2011)
Short | Music
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 7/10 X  

A chorus of women emerge from the movements of a single dancer in this mesmerizing short film.

Directors: Michael Langan, Terah Maher
Stars: Terah Maher
Runaway I (2010)
Short | Music
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 7.5/10 X  
Director: Kanye West
Stars: Selita Ebanks, Pavlina Cervickova, Jade Clayton
Lazy Sunday (2005)
Short | Comedy | Music
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 8.4/10 X  
Director: Akiva Schaffer
Stars: Chris Parnell, Andy Samberg
Short | Comedy
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 7.1/10 X  

Italy, September 1955. A Formula One driver crashes his car during a race, leaving him stuck in a small village but good surprises will come his way.

Director: Wes Anderson
Stars: Jason Schwartzman, Giada Colagrande, Renato Agostini
Prada: Candy (2013)
Short
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 6.6/10 X  

Candy is a modern chic french woman. She meets Julius and Gene, who are best friends, and cannot choose between them when both of them are fighting over her love.

Directors: Wes Anderson, Roman Coppola
Stars: Peter Gadiot, Rodolphe Pauly, Léa Seydoux
Smear City (2010)
Short | Music
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 -/10 X  

A surreal trip through the streets of Boston as the city plunges into night.

Director: Greg Hanson
Short | Music
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 -/10 X  

Three visions of the magic and mayhem of the City of Angels.

Director: Ron Fernandez
Stars: Elizabeth J. Blanchard, Mr. Brainwash, David Hillary
Edit

Cast

Cast overview, first billed only:
...
Kyle
Paul Pluymen ...
Winter
...
Zoe
Ashlin Williamson ...
Paulo
Zeke Jarmon ...
Zeke
...
Crossvine Cop 1, Soldier 2
Sarah Neufeld ...
Crossvine Cop 2
Sienna Blaw ...
Sienna
Richard Reed Parry ...
Kyle's boss
Daidy Hurst ...
Baby
Zoe Honeybloom ...
Baby
...
Vicky
...
Border Cop, Soldier 3 (as William Buchanan)
...
Terrance
Régine Chassagne ...
Suburban mom / Mrs. Mochapaldi
Edit

Storyline

Directed by Spike Jonze, Scenes from the Suburbs is a half-hour short film inspired by Arcade Fire's Grammy(r) award-winning album The Suburbs. Hailed as "absolutely f--king gorgeous" by INDIEWIRE at its U.S. premiere at 2011's SXSW festival, this collaborative effort between Spike and the band is a part of Arcade Fire's The Suburbs Deluxe release. Written by Anonymous

Plot Summary | Add Synopsis

Genres:

Short | Music

Edit

Details

Official Sites:

Country:

Language:

Release Date:

March 2011 (USA)  »

Company Credits

Show detailed on  »

Technical Specs

Runtime:

Color:

Aspect Ratio:

2.35 : 1
See  »
Edit

Did You Know?

Goofs

When Winter quotes about the 'kiss rule' given by 'Will Smith' in Hitch (2005) he says that the man must approach 60% towards the woman, then she kisses him back in the other 40% of the way. But Will says in the 2005 film that a guy must go 90% of the way with the girl covering the remaining 10%. See more »

Quotes

Crossvine Cop, Soldier: What are you kids up to?
Kyle: Nothing. Just a little up dog.
Crossvine Cop, Soldier: What's up dog?
Kyle: Nothing much. You?
[laughs]
Crossvine Cop, Soldier: You're under arrest. Take it easy.
See more »

Connections

References Hitch (2005) See more »

Frequently Asked Questions

This FAQ is empty. Add the first question.

User Reviews

 
a tug on the heart and questions for the head
13 April 2012 | by (Kansas City, Missouri) – See all my reviews

Before I watched this, I watched the complementary music video to "The Suburbs" (the first track on the album of the same name). I recommend watching both.

As someone who is questioning society's ideas of what it means to grow up, this story is a touching one. At first glance, to the uninitiated, it could come off like just another teen drama love triangle. That would be a tragic misinterpretation of this fine, authentic piece of art, and it would fall short of Arcade Fire's sensibilities and desire to deal with what's really going on with "America" beneath all the "issues." (At least, that's my interpretation of most of their work so far.) For, as opposed to some Disney story that pits friends against each other for a girlfriend/boyfriend, this isn't about that kind of relationship. In fact, it has nothing to do with the female character--it's about a friendship between two guys. A friendship torn apart by change (not good change) and fear as one of them pulls away from the group as accepts the deeper disease behind what the authorities in his life are telling him, and portraying.

The unique symbolism of how our "communities" have become is a minimally-important background for a youthfully-, authentically-acted short drama between childhood best friends.

I don't want to give the plot away, so I'll just end this by saying I now understand the album lyrics "With my old friends I can remember when / You cut your hair, I never saw you again." The questions it leaves us with are deeply important in this nation of detached souls.

Should we look a certain way to grow up? Should we surrender to the world's system to grow up? *Should* we grow up?


6 of 6 people found this review helpful.  Was this review helpful to you?

Message Boards

Recent Posts
DVD cmpowell83
Winter Attack elbrocko
watch it online only 27-28th June s-jamorska
It's on iTunes cmpowell83
Discuss Scenes from the Suburbs (2011) on the IMDb message boards »

Contribute to This Page

Create a character page for:
?