IMDb > "Touch" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Touch"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Touch" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

"Touch" Will Touch You

Author: brent_a_graham from United States
28 January 2012

If you love "Fringe" fantasy, you'll love "Touch".

If you love heart warming drama, you'll love "Touch".

And even if you just love seeing Jack Bauer being afraid of heights, you'll love "Touch".

Granted, this review is based on just what I saw in the first episode, but if that is any indication of the future episodes, we are in for a real treat!

Brilliant writing, solid acting (except for the social worker), and a compelling glimpse into what the human condition could be. It all adds up to a ground-breaking show that will capture our attention just as the last show Kiefer was in did.

TOUCH is the kind of show that could go on for years to come.

Author: karenahenderson-279-429458 from Canada
30 January 2012

TOUCH is one of the best TV shows I have seen in a long while. So many completely different stories taking us around the world and weaving it all together in a heart wrenching and wonderful way.

Drama and action mixed with tear jerking emotion. Don't miss a minute of it. I was riveted right to the very end. I cannot wait for the next episode to see what can happen next. The writing is ingenious and put together with absolute perfection. The acting, of course, was exactly what we have come to expect from such as Keifer Sutherland. I would highly recommend TOUCH to everyone who enjoys good television. Give me more please!

A Solid Journey

Author: AMichaelL from California, United States
28 January 2012

I hate emotional manipulation, and I often see Jack Bauer when I look at Kiefer, no matter his role, so I was skeptical heading into the pilot. I was pleasantly surprised to find a pretty smart show that was hinting at a lot of possibility, without much pretense. Wait, is this really on FOX?! The vibe of this show is all positive, and you can nitpick the logistics and science that they use all you want, most of it is very sound anyways, but you cannot deny the appeal of the show.

The pilot had solid writing, good acting, a unique premise, and was just believable enough to make most people keep watching.

It has a chance to be a very unique platform to break down barriers other shows constantly build up (stereotypes, plot conventions, clichés, etc.)...but time will tell.

Note: I found the second episode even better than the first, and much more realistic in terms of the connections.

Manufactured Coincidences via dartboard story boarding

Author: philquiram from United States
15 April 2012

This is how I see a writing session of this show. Put a bunch of writers in a room, with a series of dartboards. Lets say there are 5 dartboards :

The 1st just has random numbers all over it. (12, 555 5555, 12345, 454 etc)

The 2nd has a series of objects that might be On a person. (tattoo, wallet, phone, clothes, jewelry, watch, etc)

The 3rd a series of objects that are just objects (A door, a bus,a bill board, a house number, a phone number, a book etc)

The 4th peoples relations to each other (mother, brother, husband, wife, friend etc)

The 5th is a list of countries. (Japan, Iraq, Liberia, USA etc)

Sprinkle in some 9/11 stuff.

They give the writers a bunch of darts, they throw them, and the episode writes itself. EXAMPLE 12, watch, door number , husband, Iraq.

The kid (jake) writes down the number 12 a thousand times in his notebook. Keifer looks at his watch and sees that it is 12:12. He realizes they are late for an appointment at the hospital. Upon arriving at the hospital Jake runs away and finds a door in the hospital with a 12 on it. The man inside, a john doe, is in a coma. For some reason they are unable to identify the man, maybe his face was blown off. Maybe he was in Iraq. The episode ends with Keifer reuniting him with his Wife, who thought he was dead. Maybe he wakes up at 12 o'clock.

Doesn't that seem like a plausible episode of the show ? And it took me less than 5 minutes to write.

Epic

Author: Swapnil Jain from India
29 January 2012

This pilot has to definitely be the second best pilot ever followed after the Sherlock Pilot.Insane, I mean once the episode had passed certain events I was just in a total awe the way those certain events all got connected to one final event.A must must must watch especially to all Jack Bauer fans and really looking forward to the rest of the season and hoping that it will be as mind-blowing as the pilot. Superb acting, awesome pilot story. Looking like a thrilling ride undoubtedly. The concept is just amazing, its full of surprises. Surely a sitcom that I will be following and will insist others also to have a look at the pilot and be ready to be amazed.

Proving to be really bad...

Author: Fornavn Etternavn from Norway
29 April 2012

First, the good:

- The premise is OK.

- They have people from other countries that actually speak their own native language.

- Looks like good production values.

- Nice intro music.

Then the bad:

- The show is in reality about a kid with super powers, but they try to give it a reasonable explanation, and make it scientific by including numbers. Just using random numbers every episode doesn't explain anything. One thing is saying that the kid sees patterns in nature that others don't. OK. But this makes him able to predict human actions, choices and the future? Not so much.

- The plot is weak. I mean really weak. Each episode has a very bad story with cheap coincidences, but they make you buy them because some number is present every time. And it's fate.

- After a while you learn that the kid is hurting because of some unbalanced equation in the universe (the Matrix Revolutions?). But the things that hurt him are mundane. Here are two examples from one of the last episodes: (1) A lesbian couple is tying to have a baby, but one of them doesn't really want to because of her carrier. (2) A man wants to do something that matters, but he just made it so that an old building can be demolished for profit. These are the great pains in the universe? How about wars, poverty, child abuse, torture or slavery? Those things don't hurt him, but a father and a daughter that don't talk much do? I don't buy that!

- Even though the show tries to be international it's still awfully American. Removing the 9/11 and Iraq themes would have made it more acceptable. Google "Blowback".

- Kiefer Sutherland overacts. I liked him in 24, he's terrible in this show. He's constantly panting. Even though he's standing still. And in every episode he says "Jake!" at least 100 times. It gets annoying after only a few episodes.

- The show has too many plot lines simultaneously. Like it has short attention span and constantly needs something new. But then it loses the overall plot to drive the series from episode to episode, except the "pain of the universe"-theme, mentioned above.

And finally the verdict:

Touch tries too hard and fails. It's not about super powers, though it includes them. It's not about mathematics or science, though it wants to. It's not a good drama, because most people only appear for one episode, and the ones that don't have zero character development. And it's not a thriller, because the most thrilling thing each episode is spotting a number somewhere so it all makes sense. So in the end what is it really all about? I say it's about fate. And that makes it a really bad show!

Good idea for a movie, not for a TV series

Author: Fernando Conti
24 March 2012

Unlike most people here I watch several episodes before I make up my mind about a TV series or movie.

But with Touch it's very clear: the concept so brilliantly presented in the first episode already falls apart in the second episode.

The magic and the big surprise from episode 1 are gone in episode 2. We already know that the kid has some special power to link people and locations together to help someone by the end of the episode.

And where this concept was presented delicately in episode 1, it has been done over the top in episode 2. Martin Bohm only seems to be shouting at his son: 'What do you mean with this? What do you mean with that?'

You already know that you have to just sit and wait for the end result at the end, you already know that most of the characters you start with in the beginning will be connected, yada yada yada. There will be no surprise, so it's utterly boring.

Another (lesser) mistake in episode 2 is the role of Clea Hopkins (Gugu Mbatha-Raw). Yes, she is still really pretty, but she doesn't add anything to the story and could have been easily replaced by anyone else. So no character building there.

Furthermore, in the first episode Clea Hopkins understood the kid special situation in the end, so why take ten steps back and be the annoying woman from child protective services?

And then the kid. I believed him in the first episode, but in the second he just looks and acts too much like a normal kid. It doesn't help that he talks to the audience in a voice over at the beginning of the episode. So he can talk?! And he knows it's strange that he never said a word?! So basically there is no reason for him not to speak? Urgh.

The concept for Touch's episode 1 is great, brilliant even, but is only suitable for a movie. If Tim Kring keeps repeating this same formula for every next episode he will be in for a treat.

The right thing to do here is to simply create new concepts within the magical universe of episode 1. Surprise me.

Good Premise Contrived Writing

Author: Jacob Gutenburg from United States
3 April 2012

I liked the idea of the show. A silent but genius kid who sees what most people cannot. While watching the show however, I could not help myself from finding gaping holes in the story.

First off, on what grounds did the state have the right to take his son? He was providing for him, gave him a nice home and sent him to private care designed for his needs. I would think the blame for him constantly escaping would fall on the school or maybe the locked state facility he got out of, Jesus, if that's not a case for a lawsuit I don't know what is. (btw is this kid batman? He seems to vanish into thin air an awful lot).

The plan for the Iraqi kid to save his family is to steal an oven? Are you serious? Great Scott, I need to chain up my water heater because some teenage delinquents somewhere might need one. Then the kid ends up as a suicide bomber that happened to be triggered by "the phone", all this just feels so forced. And about the phone, in 3 days(he said he lost his phone 3 days ago) it went from JFK, to Ireland, to Tokyo, and then ends up in the hands of terrorists in Baghdad. How was there anytime to make any videos let alone for anyone to logically conceive of how the phone made this miraculous journey in the first place? All in all, I liked the idea but the story is holier then swiss cheese and feels incredibly artificial. Side note from episode 2, the stewardess told the Indian that she hadn't been to "that" stadium since she was a little girl. Today's Yankee Stadium was only completed a few years ago, the stupidity has no limits. The only way to enjoy this is to check your brain at the door because while watching Touch it will only get in the way.

Great premise but scattered.

Author: jenscarbie from United States
5 February 2012

I love Keifer. He's one of my favorite actors ever. That kid is phenomenal too. This show could be great but it's as if it's written by a person with a short span of attention on a caffeine buzz. Too jumpy. I wondered why. Then I saw who wrote it and I knew the reason I felt such frustration and affection for the fast forward button. The same guy who reeled me in with such a great cast and story--Heroes--only to dash my hopes and kill my dreams with his lack of plotting ability,was back. Yes, I'm talking about Mr Kring, with his quasi-pseudo M. Knight Shamalamawatchamcallits(I don't care how it's spelled)twists and turns. Those are fine. But, then he loses his focus and chases random plot bunnies into dead end episode arcs that I could care less about at the expense of his good characters. I'll wait before I get hooked on this. Won't get fooled again. Plot bunnies look cute but they are evil!

Surprised

Author: Fabio Baldan from Chile
29 January 2012

I wasn't expecting much from this show but I have to say that the pilot episode was a big, pleasant surprise. The concept of predicting the future isn't new but I found it pleasant to be applied in a different way than "save the world", the acting was quite good (though it takes some time to get used at the fact that the man you see on screen is not Jack Bauer) and at least this first episode had great production values showing location all over the world and making them feel quite real (and spoken in their original language). As far as the "connected stories" go I think they where well done and managed the same emotional impact in 45 movies as movies that take 2 hours to have the same effect.

I think it's too soon to call this show a success. The first episode was fantastic but I'm not sure if they will be able to maintain the same quality and engagement during the whole season. I would like this to turn into a big story rather than the "weekly connected story adventure". Still, you should at least watch this episode, even if the show doesn't manage to maintain it's quality this first episode is good enough to be recommended on its own

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]