IMDb > Kahaani (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kahaani

Kahaani More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 17: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

A Beatufully Crafted Film

Author: souravsr1004 from india
19 March 2012

A very good cast. Vidya Balan(Vidya Bagchi) i thought was a very talented actor but now has turned phenomenal,she gives some stares in this film which says a lot about her development in the years starting from Hum Paanch,the TV serial. Parambrata and Kharaj excel in every frame. Parambrata(Inspector Satyaki/Rana) is very good with duologue's but is even better in quiet sequences. Kharaj is very to the face. Nawazuddin(Khan) plays the no-nonsense IB Deputy to the best of his ability,direct and aggressive. Now the character who blew me away is Bob Biswas,played by Saswata. I now cannot think of reasons as to why he has not done such roles,Just Brilliant. There are two characters Milan Damji and Arnab Bagchi,who create all the mystery and in the end the mystery is very well solved. Well done Abir and Indranil.The background Music is worth listening. Now,the city Kolkata in its full festive mood is shown against the backdrop of this thriller,I think the director should be given accolades for this simply because no one has done this before in Bollywood,and he has excelled in his motive. The duologue's are pretty good. The camera work is brilliant,specially with all the beauty of Kolkata shown on screen. Even actors playing small roles have done very well. The music is good and looks better on screen with the movie. All said i have given 10 because of not including any songs in this thriller as it would have ruined it. Finally,with all the actors signed it would have turned into a mess had they not been given enough space and this is where i felt the Director wins.Well done Sujoy Ghosh.Take a Bow. Hope this Kahaani a Success.

A complete collage

Author: sourav ghosh (sourav1986) from India
19 March 2012

This is my first review. this film has initiated me for the first time to give a review in IMDb. The picture is a "complete Collage" between the aspects of mystery.. culture... life flow and heritage of Kolkata. Somebody may say the film is brilliant that's true, absolutely true the story is so much engrossing that we will never put away our eye from the screen.The suspense provided within the film is unparalleled ,till the last minute of the film nobody will have a clue about the twist that will appear at the conclusion of the story.And Vidya Balan has done it again, two top notch film back to back has completely defined what a brilliant actor she is ,have to say a magnificent acting. And the role played by Saswata Chatterjee is also very very unusual and difficult to act so as to define himself in a role of serial killer.At the last i must say, being a Kolkata resident myself, it shows it all about Kolkata and its inner aspects which being bad rough and sometime irritating. it have its own place within our heart.The camera-work is just awesome it has uplifted the unique aspects of the city which make it different from any other one in this world.the last scene of the Maa Durga's face submerging in Ganga (Dashami of Durga Puja) has a profound effect with the ending of the story. And from my personal view. being away from my city of joy(Kolkata) has made me a bit nostalgic about it.Full credit goes to director Sujoy Ghosh.

From me its 10/10 for this film. not a penny wasted. its a must see film for anyone who love suspense thriller & serial killing mystery. keep up the good work Bollywood!! this film has created a benchmark that needs to be touched.

Thanks all of you for reading this review.

Vidya all the way!!

Author: sasikanth20 from Hyderabad, India
18 March 2012

Kahaani is a thought-provoking suspense thriller. It's not perfect by any means, but the sheer presence of Vidya Balan, and some beautiful performances by the rest of the cast makes you forget all its flaws. Vidya is, am running out of adjectives here, stunning, and Parambrata Chatterjee is brilliant. After delivering a couple of duds, director Sujoy Ghosh comes up with a winner with the help of his co-writers Ritesh Shah, Sutapa Sikdar and Advaita Kala. As mentioned in the film, a pregnant woman searching for her lost husband against all odds makes you feel for her, and you can't help but take part in her quest. Sujoy was able to maintain the tempo perfectly, creating beautiful moments, not once giving away the suspense to make you a part of that quest. Exciting screenplay, excellent cinematography in the bustling by-lanes of Kolkata, and a decent background score keep you, maybe not at the edge of you seat, but close enough.

Kahaani was not so well promoted, and doesn't have good openings to boast off. It's got no dancing numbers nor any sleazy skin shows. But it's got Vidya, and Vidya brings all the entertainment we need. After The Wednesday, this is one of the best Bollywood thrillers I've come across. Don't miss it!!

For more review, please visit sasikanth.me :)

Kahaani is about the innate strength of a woman which Vidya perfectly resurrects on screen

Author: anudeepraju from India
18 March 2012

It is said that a woman and her mind is more powerful than anything else in this world.........Vidya with her excellent performance stands for it.She represents those traits of a woman that make her so powerful......and Sujoy captures that essentially in a very bold manner.He has harnessed his directorial skills to an extent that he brings down all the viewers to reality.He has perfectly blended that sense of realism with an extremely thrilling story.Again as far as the performances are concerned .......Vidya stands apart........Parambrata Chatterjee is also done an excellent job.The cinematography is astounding.The Kolkata city in it's festive mood for the traditional Durga Pooja is captured brilliantly on screen.Even the climax scene ,where that drop of tear falls from her eye,is so well shot.He has perfectly mixed the trauma of a woman with a city in it's celebrations in the background perfectly well.The sound designing and blending is also good.On a whole ...........the movie is really a good thriller in all respects and hats off to Vidya Balan as Vidya Bagchi....!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent Movie

Author: sengupta-bratin
18 March 2012

people this movie is an example of perfect movie . it shows Kolkata in a beautiful way , its narrow lane , the tea stalls , the shops, fast food center , the metro railway, etc etc . the cinematography is so good that it thought me about Kolkata. i being a local boy haven't got a chance to see the city in such a manner. The movie is basically a thriller . the movie was supported by some brilliant acting by Vidya Balan. she was backed up by many artists from Kolkata's local film industry but among them the most prominent was Saswata Chatterjee (as Bob Biswas, the serial killer). the movie was so well directed that it exceeds many Oscar winning Hollywood movies in its brilliance. the movies only used song was Rabindranathh Tagore's "Akla Cholo Ree" sung by none other than Amitav Bacchan. The movies nude music ( Nude music = no extra music except the natural music ) was also a interesting feature of the movie .

For those who haven't watched it Go and watch it ... and for those who have already watched it ... go watch it again . Enjoy the movie :)

A well-written and worthy desi espionage thriller!

Author: Vikas SS from Mumbai, India
16 March 2012

Vidya Balan seems to be riding the crest these days. After pulling off three movies, Ishqiya, No One Killed Jessica and 'The Dirty Picture' almost as the sole lead, and winning a national award for her last entrée, she has hit the sweet spot yet again with this week's release 'Kahaani', a suspense thriller set in Kolkata.

Just as the trailers suggest, the story is about a heavily pregnant Bidya err Vidya Bagchi (Vidya Balan) who arrives in Kolkata looking for her husband who had arrived there on work and gone missing. Given the predicament, there is enough scope for drama. But, more interestingly, there is an undercurrent of an espionage thriller.

The pre-title sequence opens with a chemical attack in Kolkata Metro. Cut to two years later, Vidya arrives in town for her quest and approaches the city police. Rana, newbie cop (Parambrata Chatterjee) has a soft corner for her and accompanies her in her hunt. Vidya seems to hit a dead-end in her search as nobody seems to know her husband Arnab Bagchi. But as they dig deeper, they uncover darker secrets.

Okay! The discussion about the film's story has to stop here. It's a suspense flick after all. So, knowing anything more can spoil your experience. In fact, one can describe 'Kahaani' as an interesting multi- layered package that is unwrapped slowly, one layer at a time. Although it can seem slightly lengthy at some point, carefully planned twists will keep you glued to the screen. Also, notice the attention to detail in every scene.

Many have been raving about Vidya Balan's performance. Full marks to her! But, what holds 'Kahaani' together is writer-director Sujoy Ghosh's watertight screenplay. The film is much unlike the regular bollywood thrillers that rely on stylish European locations, slick stunts, fast cars and scantily-clad women. Truly commendable!

Among other goodies is Parambrata Chatterjee's has acted well along with some powerful performances by Nawazuddin Siddiqui as Khan, Saswata Chatterjee as Bob Biswas with Indraneil Sengupta in a brief role. Vishal-Shekhar's music has nothing striking, but flows with the film. Camera-work and editing is also neat.

Filmmakers exploring cities other than Mumbai is relatively a recent phenomenon. While Delhi-based flicks gave the audience respite from tiresome Mumbai-based stuff, Kolkata is an interesting choice. The director effectively portrays the city's warmth, comfortable in its own time-warp while also providing the perfect setting for a thriller. Set around the time of Durga Puja, the film showcases the city's culture too.

My advice: don't Google or ask-a-friend to know what the suspense is. Go to your nearest screen and catch the movie. Trust me, it's totally worth it!

a movie not to miss

Author: ssarayan from India
14 March 2012

This thriller starts with, something which makes one remember of a typical terrorism based act, but to my surprise has to shell out a different entertainment. with superb performance of Miss Vidya Balan as a pregnant women loitering alone in busy streets of Calcutta, and with a phenomenally surprising ending, this movie definitely proves to be a great watch. It shows that women can too be diabolical, and can act for the cause of justice, though i feel that the love actress shows for her husband was a bit weakly described, but nevertheless the fast moving script keeps one glued to the seats till the end. With fantastic direction, amazing photography and soothing music all i could say is "Kahani" is a movie not to miss.

Review of Kahaani

Author: Www-ssupratim14 from India
14 March 2012

I went into the theater with very low expectation largely because previous films of Sujoy Ghosh was not very successful.But I went to watch it anyway and what I have just seen is .................... speechless.After a long time since 3 idiots was released,no other Hindi movie made such an impact on me which Kahaani has done.It's a combination of flawless acting with great direction on a solid,logical,realistic,original than ever storyline.Movies like this proves that when you have a good original script you don't need huge star cast,huge budget or filthy promotion to catch audience.

It's a story about a girl came from London to India in search of her missing husband and followed by unpredictable worse circumstances.Ending has got such a shocking punch that all the audience started shouting and clapping around me.........

I highly recommend all of you to watch this movie,which you can enjoy with your friends,lover as well as family.......go ahead and just watch this great Bollywood flick.

Compelling, Eerie, Intense, Evocative, Potent, Brilliance, Top-notch acting, Direction, Script, and the Kolkata being charming as ever!!...

Author: arkarox from India
12 March 2012

I went to see this movie with just a mindset that it is going to be interesting! Little did i know that it would just blow my mind! The characters, every one of them evolve so blissfully!

Vidya's portrayal of a pregnant woman, to The sub-inspector, the arrogant and self-centered Central Agent, the Deadly smiling assassin was awesome, the kids.. Everyone did more than just justice to their roles! This movie has SO many layers... Its just a must watch!

The camera work was brilliant, stunning,classy! The editing was very impressive.. Not a single dull moment! I was at the edge of my seat throughout!

Probably the best movie this year! And hopefully, it will get the audience it deserves! Hats off to Ghose, Vidya, and of-course Kolkata!

An Enthraling Entertainer

Author: Manish Sharma from India
11 March 2012

A terrorist attack. A pregnant lady looking for her missing husband. An IB officer hiding some secret. An investigation. A series of Murders. All above describe Kahaani as a entertaining movie. Brilliantly shot along the length and breadth of Kolkata. Shows up the city of joy. Go for the show, I bet you wont regret spending on the movie. The film continues to keep you guessing till the climax. You wont even like to go to bathroom, so that you don't miss a scene.

We give a two thumbs up to the Director and the Cinematographer to shoot the film in such crowded Kolkata during the popular Durga Puja festival. The beauty of the night of Kolkata also shown in such a nice way, that you will love the city despite the tension it had.