IMDb > "Ringer" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Ringer"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Ringer" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A pretty good show.

Author: rayrodgpa from United States
20 September 2011

Don't judge the show on the Pilot alone. Even though the pilot is not very good and hard to watch, trust me, it really does get better. The script improves,the characters develop a little more, there are no more horribly cheesy green screens, there are less close-ups, there is more background information, and the acting improved, especially Sarah Michelle Gellar's acting.

Plus, there is a little twist in the plot that I did not understand after viewing the pilot. So what I am saying here is don't lose hope, because if you give up due to the pilot then I feel sorry for you, you are missing out on a pretty good show.

I'm a fan

Author: vinbjorn from Australia
29 October 2011

What I love about Gellar's new series is the way it slowly evolves each episode, revealing a new layer to the rich tapestry of it's characters. Just when you think you're figuring out the motivations (and trajectory) of a character you find out something new and you're given a new perspective.

One thing this series is not is predictable. The only time I could understand the CGI criticism was during the boat scene where the two sisters (both played by Gellar) were meant to be on an open air boat hurtling across the ocean but could be heard speaking softly over a baldly rendered ocean background. Apart from that the brief CGI scenes shared by the two were flawless. Could this scene be a stylistic approach? It looks as it should, it sounds as it should, but something is 'not right'. Reality has been altered and manipulated. Then again maybe it just comes down to budgeting and time constraints but personally I would like to believe in the former.

Gellar plays the two sisters with subtlety. After all she's playing twins who share mannerisms yet are completely different people. Gellar is acting one character who's acting as another... but she pulls it off. The banter about her 'not ageing well' is rubbish. Talk about unrealistic expectations. I would like to see who's sitting behind the keyboard.

8 Stars so far.

Beautiful and great concept. But sloppy.

Author: sid1996 from Stockholm, Sweden
2 October 2011

After watching the three first episodes, I'd thought I would write a short (p)review. The pilot is basically used to set up the premise, and while it lacks the beautiful polish of the following episodes, it really kick-start the series. And I can forgive the few shortcomings of the pilot.

The following two episodes were beautifully produced (if that's right word) and Sarah Michelle Gellar is perfect in her role. The series also have that hard-to-put-your-finger-on-and-even-harder-to-achieve feeling. I kind of got a "Cruel Intentions" vibe. But just as with Sarah Michelle Gellar, it's a more mature and confident feeling. It's really great.

There's, in my humble opinion, just one flaw with "Ringer". But it's a flaw that could potentially ruin everything. The problem is that while the concept is great, Sarah Michelle Gellar is perfect and the production has that great feeling, the writing seems very sloppy. There are so many inconsistencies and plot holes that I get frustrated. The problem is basically limited to the thriller part of the writing, almost as if that writing was forced in by accountants rather than delivered by the writers.

And if it continues down this path, I think it's going to backfire and ruin everything. This is, of course, only my speculations, but I think that the thriller writing must up to par with the rest. Whether it be a problem caused by money counters or that the "thriller writers" are too junior or have to little resources. Otherwise I think that this series will collapse, and that would really be a shame.

"Ringer" is solid

Author: Chris Chen (chrisksc) from Canada
21 September 2011

After the second episode, I've developed more confidence in this series. The pilot made me very skeptical, particularly the poorly rendered CGI screens and typical broken family situations. As we approach the end of the pilot, serious conflict begins to unravel as Bridget adopts Siobhan's identity.

The second episode simply got me wanting more. Bridget is gradually digging herself a deeper hole even though she's trying to be responsible and accountable for once in her life. If the second episode is an indication of the rest of the series, I foresee an intense, gripping, scandalous season ahead as Siobhan's scheme unravels.

I just hope the viewers will give it a chance.

Good enough to keep watching

Author: andres-rosenberg from Chile
15 September 2011

I'm not going to explain the plot cause it's written everywhere, but just my overall look on the Pilot: It's OK.

The Bad: The scene on the ocean looks so fake, it hurts. Another bad point is that there is too much put together without further explanation. And some very corny storytelling also hurts: the woman that dates her best friend's husband, and so on...

The Good: The ending on the Pilot is spot on and leaves you wanting more. As it turned out, Bridget was safer being Bridget than being Siobann, and the real Siobann pretended to be dead.

Overall the series got some potential, and it is really nice to see SMG again. She's a very good actress when it comes to convey an emotion, or lack of emotion if necessary.

Absolutely Fantastic! Don't think you know what it's all about.

Author: GoddessCeCe from USA
2 October 2011

It's been too long since the very beautiful and talented Sarah Michelle Gellar has graced our television screen. She is back now, better than ever, in this very complex, wonderfully dark new show.

For those of you who don't know, Sarah Michelle plays twins - Bridget & Siobhan. Bridget is the estranged twin who has a history of stripping and substance abuse, who is the witness to a brutal crime that has her fearing for her life. Her sister Siobhan is the privileged New Yorker who seemingly has the perfect life - a successful, wealthy, attractive husband; tons of money, great friends and a beautiful home.

Bridget and Siobhan clearly are strained; from the looks of it, something happened to Siobhan's son, and we don't yet know Bridget's part in it. However, they have mended ways enough for Bridget to get the offer to stay with Siobhan in New York. On a boating trip, while Bridget naps, Siobhan disappears overboard and is presumed dead. But only Bridget was there, so she is the only one who knows this. Grieving aside, she figures stepping into her sister's shoes, her sister's life, will help her hide from those out to kill her. She easily slides into Siobhan's life.

You know what they say about the grass being greener? Well, be careful what you wish for. It turns out that Siobhan's life was anything but carefree. Bridget realizes that her sister's marriage was in shambles; her stepdaughter hated her; she was sleeping with her best friend's husband; and, worse of all, someone is trying to kill Siobhan as well.

This show is very dark, which I love, and very well written. The surrounding cast, although small, is equally wonderful. I can say that this show is much deeper, much more complex than it may be given credit for. Just when you think you know what's going to happen, you realize that you don't. It's very suspenseful, creepy and downright scary at times (how about a dead body in a trunk, cell phone ringing, in a room full of wealthy party goers?). New York, as it often does, plays a character all its own. Set in the unfinished lofts and plush Park Avenue Pent Houses, don't let the high pedigree fool you. The cinematography is rich and gorgeous; lots of dark shadows to give you an appropriate sense of foreboding. It's like watching a really fun scary movie, without the gore but including all of the suspense.

Lastly, I saw someone compare this to ABC Family's "The Lying Game", which I also watch and think is absolutely fantastic. I assure you, it's nothing like that. "The Lying Game" is somewhat lighter in tone and the twin sisters are working together while maintaining contact. Here, they most assuredly are not.

To summarize, this is a wonderful show that should be given a chance to grow. Hopefully, the CW will realize its worth and give it a full season.

Great show with lots of potential

Author: sesheppard from United States
28 September 2011

Ringer will turn out to be a wonderful show. Like with the vampire diaries, it will take a few episodes to get the ball rolling and personally I cannot wait. Last weeks episode(3) was excellent. I wonder if Shiv will see things differently now that she knows that she is pregnant. To the people that think Ringer is like the lying game. It so totally is not. Ringer is more adult with so much more substance to the plot. The actors are amazing especially the dude from Lost that rocks the guy liner. Sarah Michelle Gellar was born for this role and she is as beautiful as ever! I cannot wait for the flashback episodes when she witness the murder and SMG playing a stripper. I cannot wait to see what is in store for us as the viewer, bring it on!!

The pilot is "meh" but if you stick with it, by episode 3 and 4 you'll be so glad you did.

Author: engagedtoprecious from United States
1 November 2011

After seeing the pilot episode, I wasn't quite sure what to think. It wasn't awful, but it didn't outright grab me and make me think "I have to watch next week", either. But I decided to give it time to develop, and around episode three I was very grateful I had not given up on it, because currently episode seven just aired and it's one of the best shows I've watched in a long time. Boy, does it improve. The only other show I've been this interested in this season is "American Horror Story."

The plot really starts to come together by episode three, the performances improve every week as the actors settle more into their characters, and the writing and twists just keep getting better and better. This is definitely one show that improves as it goes on. Currently there are so many interesting plot threads and potential outcomes that it's like one big juicy mystery/thriller/soap opera that, by the end of episode four, keeps you riveted and wanting more when the credits roll. It helps that the writers also use the time-honored but catchy tradition of ending every episode with a cliffhanger, ala "Alias" and "True Blood." The cliffhangers for the past few episodes have been nothing short of fantastic and if the show keeps going at this pace, it's going to be one of the most addicting dramas I've seen in a long time. The writers manage to blend the mixture of drama and crime thriller perfectly so it never feels like you're watching too much of either. And as for the double-crosses and the twists, I haven't seen this much insanity since "Dynasty" or "Melrose Place." Every week so far has had at least one "WTF!" moment.

So, in short, if you watched the pilot and it turned you off, please give it another chance because I promise it gets better as it goes along and by episode four you will be HOOKED. And for those who haven't given it a chance yet, you don't know what you're missing out on. Make it through the first two episodes and pretty soon you'll be very glad you did. The plot is currently truly intriguing and there are so many ways it could go each week and it always leaves you guessing. The show is playing all of its cards right and really got it together quickly to become one of the best new shows this season. I, for one, can't wait for Tuesdays.

It just keeps on getting better...

Author: Saima Khalid from UK
19 October 2011

Initially, I was reluctant as to whether or not I wanted to watch this show but I am so glad that I finally got round to it. The pilot was a good start - the story came together well and the characters were very well played by the cast. It was a great pilot, expect one very poor green room scene (but that's a minor glitch).

As I started to watch more episodes, I began to fall in love with the show even more. Everything about it is just awesome. The music, the characters, the plot - everything. Sarah Michelle Gellar is an amazing actress and so are the rest of the brilliant cast.

If you're into thriller type stuff (with some drama and romance) then this is definitely for you. It's a great show with some real jaw dropping moments. Its' not too intense but enough to keep you wondering what the hell is going on.

Give it a chance. You'll love it.

Love it!

Author: Angelica Caputo from United States
1 February 2012

This has got to be the best show I have EVER seen. I'm addicted, it's crazy. I have got to say it has more suspense and drama than my other two favorite shows (True Blood and The Tudors), for me at least. I love how each episode something new and exciting is happening. It keeps you on your toes. I hated when they took that 1 month break from t.v, and hate having to wait a week to see a new episode. I got my sister and two best friends watching it now also. Everyone really has to see the first two episodes and they will be hooked. I love the CW11 now, and look forward to watching more shows from them (hopefully they are just as crazy good). I wasn't part of the 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' generation, but I'm really glad Sarah Michele Geller came back to t.v so I can really appreciate her as a actress.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]