IMDb > "I Hate My Teenage Daughter" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"I Hate My Teenage Daughter"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"I Hate My Teenage Daughter" More at IMDbPro »

Very funny! A light comedy that allows you to chill out for 30 minutes

Author: monica-humphery
4 January 2012

First of all I have to say one thing to the other "reviewers", LIGHTEN UP!!!! Its a sitcom folks not a Pulitzer prize nominated documentary. I think the purpose of the show is to make us laugh for a few minutes out of the day and that's exactly what it did for me. Granted, the show is still new and the characters are still being developed but I thought it was genuinely funny. I think the chemistry between all the characters was very good, the story lines are hip and current, and the jokes were, dare I say, funny! The only complaint I have is yeah the girls look a little older than fifteen. But other than that, I liked it and I'm going to keep watching it.

Are the previous reviews for real?

Author: sipofcherrycola from United States
21 March 2012

Granted, not the best new comedy ever and definitely not "My Name is Earl," but I still had to defend "I Hate My teenage Daughter." Plenty of shows still use laugh tracks and I definitively see potential and room for character and plot development. Most of all I had to comment on the reviewers who saw hating their teenage daughters as implausible. Do any of you even have children? Or even nieces? Or remember being daughters and how terrible they were to their mothers? I was most definitely one of them! Whether it was merited or not is another story entirely! Most girls, especially of this generation are awful! They think they know it all and are horrible to everyone, their mothers especially. Naturally their mothers hate them back(in a very loving way of course)! It's not until they reach adulthood that they can actually appreciate their mothers, if ever! This show has its place in down to earth, true to real life, silly comedies. The daughters may be a bit generic, but to adults most teenage girls are! I hope they develop the characters, but it makes me laugh and remember my teenage years and I'm sure hits, at times possibly uncomfortable yet hilariously, close to home for many mother's of teenage girls. To the fans, enjoy and give it a chance! To the writers, you are on to something here! Just veer away from the stereotypical and cheesy and embrace the real and hilarious! Especially the raw comedic talent you have in Jaime Pressley!

"I Hate My Teenage Daughter"

Author: Girish Gowda from BengaLuru, Karnataka
1 December 2011

I like Emmy winner, Jamie Pressly from her best character to date, Joy in the hilarious, quirky comedy - "My Name is Earl". So I decided to watch "I Hate My Teenage Daughter" tonight. I didn't actually watch any ads for this show before, as I generally stay away from most promos and ads for new shows, since I don't want to be spoiled.

The premise, as the title suggests, is about two divorced women who are best friends, and hating on their bratty teen daughters because they are growing up to be just like the bullies that the moms had to suffer through high school. The characters are basically superficial, kind of annoying and quite possibly the worst people ever, by what we have seen in the premiere. Two single moms with their own serious issues with self-confidence and parenthood deal with their awful kids in unbelievably tacky ways. They are joined to the hip and essentially raising their kids together. Being single parents, they have always went along with their daughters whims. Now that their daughters are turning into bit***s, they want to make life difficult, by butting into their kids lives as much as possible.

The dialogues involve crass words, which could come off as funny, if executed well. Or in this case, just not good enough to incite genuine laughter. The dads were predictable, unfunny and redundant. The daughters act their part well enough; that scene where they were behaving like parents and their parents as immature kids was funny. The characters who made me smile are, Annie (Jamie Pressly), her dialogues are generally good when she isn't trying so hard to make us laugh. Incorporating her character's Christian school background as the show progresses would probably get funnier. Also the lawyer/ex brother-in-law was good. Get him more screen time and make Nikki (Katie Finneran) less whiny, and this show could deliver.

Rarely do I expect a comedy to fire on all cylinders in the premiere episode. The first few episodes of nearly every comedy show are wobbly and fail to get any real laughs. The first episode of "IHMTD" is unremarkable, not quirky or different enough, just plain tacky and borderline offensive. I will give this show another 3 episodes to find its feet. If it doesn't get better, its headed for cancellation, which would be a shame because Jamie really deserves a good vehicle.

True Women Humor!

Author: kattrotter from United States
18 December 2011

First of all, It's refreshing to watch a sitcom that doesn't take place in Southern California or the East Coast , for example; Hot in Cleveland, Reba, even Last Man Standing.

I'm a single mom who lives in Texas, Abilene to be exact, and the writers have NAILED the major characters. Too bad the rest of you don't understand. We didn't all grow up like the "Dallas" series.

Hopefully, the writers will have time to develop our characters in future episodes. So they aren't a Clair Hukstable "Supermom", that's part of their charm. It's apparent they are maturing and their struggles are relative and honest to those of us who have been there.

It's great.

Author: lizzyriane from Ohio
2 February 2013

I think this is a great modern day sitcom. It's not as great as Roseanne or Friends with there modern day themes, but I think it'll get better. I am 19 so I just kinda got out of the 'teenage daughter' phase. But, 1. I never really had it that bad, and 2. it'll still come up here and there, and I think this is hilarious. I told my mom about it and she is eager to watch it with me. Those girls are so witty but mean and they're just getting into their teen years being 14. People who think 14 is a crazy young age, think about today's youth. 14 is usually Freshman year. The girls are getting more and more sucked into media now. They really do look and act like that more often then say, whatever generation you come from. Also, being a new sitcom they're kind of just running though the basic sitcom episodes ever series has. Teenage dating, little bit on sex, character set up, family, situation set up, etc. It's building. Second season has set up to be phenomenal if done right and if people give it a chance to really bloom.

HA HA HA HA ha haa haarrrrrrr

Author: Michael Collins from Perth, Australia
2 February 2012

OK, I know that I really like Jaime Pressly because she is simply HOT, HOT, HOT, but she can really be bloody funny and this show is a really good comedy. I haven't seen Katie Finneran in much comedy, but between the 2 of them, you are going to need a thick towel on your chair because you are going to wet your self laughing. Who would have thought that you could take the horror and struggles of going through a young girls teenage years and make it an appealing comedy for the family. I give this show (I HATE MY TEENAGE DAUGHTER) 8 out of 10, but only so there is some room in case they make a few episodes even better.

Happy Viewing from Mike.

PS: if you don't find this show funny, see your Doctor immediately, because you have either lost your hearing, eyesight or your mind :-)

Not a good show

Author: jtheman13 from United States
6 December 2011

I watched this pilot and was appalled. Both the mothers come across as complete idiots. Not just about their daughters, about everything. Listen to the way they describe things like they don't know their lines or like they're both just completely distracted by something, with everything they say.

I also agree with a previous reviewer that the idea of two moms being afraid of their daughters is a little ridiculous. Its not the idea itself, just the degree. The two moms, even when furious at their daughters, seem to have no control over two kids who, you know, live in their house, eat their food, and in general depend on the two women to at least some extent. I mean, I was waiting the whole episode for them to do something. The way they actually dealt with the problem was quite unsatisfying.

I don't think the show will last as is.

Not so good

Author: Evenflow84 from Finland
9 December 2011

It's a shame to see Jamie Pressly go down in flames. I love her work, I really do, but now she took a bite that is too rotten to swallow. This show just doesn't deliver. Dialogue is too forced, not even funny and I don't see any kind of chemistry between the characters or the cast. Actresses portraying the daughters better hope something good comes up and this show gets canceled, otherwise you don't have to be a fortune teller to see two careers ruined.

Okay, there might be a good joke or two per episode but the writers better get their heads out from their asses and start writing something that is truly witty and funny. Now it's just simply not funny by any standards. By judging how this series looks now I wouldn't get my hopes up about seeing a second season.

Terrible show

Author: Maniac-9 from St. Louis, MO
5 February 2012

Show is terribly made from top to bottom. Seriously what shows still use a laugh track? Either you get laughs from a live audience or don't bother with it.

Jaime Pressly was written and cast perfectly as Joy on My Name is Earl but has a terrible character to play here. How can you have someone who played Joy Turner in one of the funniest sitcom characters to play such a dull and played out boring character like this is beyond me.

The daughters were interchangeable and uninteresting characters that you really don't care why they're such pains in the butt.

The show basically just wimps out for the sake of sentimentality. Bad execution by the writing on this show.

Rimmingggggggg...No

Author: cfitzhue from United States
30 November 2011

I am a Jaime Pressly fan, although I confess, my chief interest has more to do with her aesthetic than her acting prowess.

She hasn't had much luck in her film career. At least nothing as successful as her run as "Joy" on the sitcom "My Name is Earl".

Still I had hoped she would find a vehicle that would bring her the success she enjoyed on "Earl". Unfortunately, this show does not deliver.

The characters are uninteresting, and fail to generate interest while making their way through unremarkable writing.

My guess is the show won't have more than six episodes to turn things around.