IMDb > A Resurrection (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Resurrection

A Resurrection More at IMDbPro »

Decent Film...Deserves a Higher Rating! Interesting storyline.

Author: MissOceanB from Canada
1 July 2013

Definitely believe this film deserves higher reviews. If you're looking for heavy gore and very creepy ghost/supernatural stuff, then try something else. That said, Resurrection knows when to use the right sound effects and visual effects to give you a little scare and has its moments. Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP), Mischa Barton and Devon Sawa were great, even though a lot of people seem to question Mischa Barton's acting skills. She did well in this film! Without giving too much away, the concept of supernatural resurrection and the occult basis for this film make for an interesting and curious storyline that isn't quite like any I've seen or heard of before. And there are parts of the film that will leave you questioning what you thought was going to happen and curious as to why it played out the way it did.

Enjoyed it, give it a chance! Don't judge it simply by its ratings as one man's treasure is another man's junk.

My Review Of "A Resurrection"

Author: ASouthernHorrorFan from United States
2 April 2013

"A Resurrection" is a dark supernatural tale from director Matt Orlando that focuses on a small town during a tragedy. The film is about a young boy named Eli who is picked on in school and who's brother is tragically ran down by a high school rival. Days after the funeral the group of bullies are held in detention as unexplained events begin to unfold that predict dire consequences for the high school kids. The movie stars Mischa Barton, Brenden Meers, Devon Sawa, Michael Clarke Duncan, J. Michael Trautmann, Stuart Stone and Matthew Willig.

For me personally I am split on how I feel about "A Resurrection". The film was shot very well with a complete seriousness to the story's subject matter. It held a continuous dark foreboding and atmosphere of unease which kept the film in a complete suspenseful state of drama. The acting came off as believable and I felt these characters come alive in this twisted story of loss and resurrection. The movie hit on a pretty prevalent subject that plagues communities and schools across this nation with underage drinking, bullying and teen violence not to mention the social inequalities. All this made for a very dramatic and intensely entertaining plot line in the film. My issue lies with the fact that the horror was mediocre. It was as if the director made a staunch attempt to avoid any elements that a story like this practically demands to be displayed. There was no real scares or moments of intense chills in scenes that needed to be and the sequences that lead to death were completely shied away from which was very disappointing.

"A Resurrection" is a safe "PG-ish" film for fans of supernatural melodramas but if you're a straight up horror fan then your going to be very disappointed because the horror is non-existent in this film . The story is a good one and the suspenseful and dark atmosphere make the film a nice movie to watch with your grandmother or someone who doesn't like other more gory horror films but it is also a film that could have been better in so many ways. So I am conflicted on the movie because I liked what it turned out to be even though it wasn't what I hoped for. So for anyone setting out to view this film just keep in mind that it is a psychological thriller more than it is a horror film.

The Sibling and the Six Souls

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
24 March 2013

In Middletown high school, the outcast Eli (Jonathan Michael Trautmann) is bullied by the braggart Brandon (Nick Jandl) and his friends. They are hold in detention by the principal Addison (Michael Clarke Duncan) to be interviewed by the psychologist Jessie (Mischa Barton), who is engaged of Deputy Travis (Devon Sawa) that is the son of the local priest.

Jessie and Addison realize that the mentally disturbed Eli misses his big brother Devon (Patrick de Ledebur), who was murdered in a hit-and- runner. When Eli finally talks to Jessie, he tells that Devon was killed by Brandon. Further, Eli tells that he found the body of his brother and a witch has put an evil spirit in his body. Now he needs six souls to live again and he will seek revenge against Brandon and his friends. The skeptic and atheist Jessie does not believe in his words.

"A Resurrection", a.k.a. "The Sibling", is a low budget horror movie with a tense story but all the potential is wasted in a terrible conclusion. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "O Despertar do Mal" ("The Awakening of the Evil")

Retro Psycho Thriller Flick

Author: joeknapp from United States
25 March 2013

I enjoyed watching A Resurrection. Unlike the dumbed-down horror flicks offered today, this movie recalls the era when thrillers like this actually had a great story behind them. I saw the end coming from a mile away. But, when the end finally came, it wasn't at all what I expected. That was a welcome surprise. At first I thought that too many people had been killed. After all, only six souls had to be taken, according to the Bruja's spell. But, after thinking back on it, I realized that some of the departed were not victims of the dead brother. They were killed by others instead. When is the last time a horror movie made you think? It's been a while. If you're fairly young, you may not have ever experienced an intelligent horror flick. Go rent Psycho. The camera work and editing are top quality and often quite creative. The acting is varied, but excellent in the most important characters. Eli is an example of casting perfection. I took my girlfriend to see this movie and she jumped and screamed at all the required scare points. That's a whole lot better than looking over at your girlfriend to find she's fallen asleep! It's also refreshing to walk out of the theater talking over the story. Too often these days I walk out, sometimes before the movie ends, wondering why I wasted so much money and thinking about asking for a refund. Go see A Resurrection. It's easily worth twice the price of admission.

Decent film.

Author: sal10851 from United States
20 July 2013

A Resurrection is a story about Eli who is a high school outcast trying to deal with the death of his older brother Devon who was recently killed in a hit and run incident.

For such low ratings on IMDb this film was pretty good. There is a slow build up but once the story gets going it keeps a good pace. It deals into the occult which is not seen too often these days. The direction that the story takes is quite interesting. There was a few scenes that were unnecessary and had nothing to do with the story. Not much gore and violence which is refreshing for a change. I was pleased with the cinematography which I thought was outstanding. The acting was flawed except for a few actors including Devon Sawa, Mischa Barton and Michael Clarke Duncan(RIP). The character of Eli never makes a big impression on me as grieving brother would. With all that was going on in his life it begged a lot more emotion from the character.

Overall this film was well put together and it definitely worth a peek.

Dull supernatural horror tale.

Author: Prolox from Canada
28 June 2014

In this slow paced plodding supernatural horror thriller, a group of high school football players & their girlfriends, a janitor, a principle, & a school psychologist get locked in their school & picked off one by one by a supernatural entity that may very well be the brother (or something else) of an outcast student who is also locked inside the school with them, who had been murdered a week prior. Their only hope is to unravel the mystery on how to stop the evil entity from claiming the six souls it needs or suffer a terrible fate.

A RESURRECTION looked & sounded like a very scary & interesting horror thriller from the box art I seen. The story seemed to be a fairly interesting one & I enjoy the acting of the late MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN, DEVON SAWA (Both of whom serve as consultants on the film) & MISCHA BARTON (Who also serves as an associate producer) so it seemed like the film couldn't lose. But how wrong I was, A RESURRECTION is to slow moving to generate any real interest, the suspense & tension is poorly handled, there are zero scares, dull characters, so & so acting & worst of all, the film is burdened with an incredibly cheap look that makes it seem like a student film. There's zero gore on hand & all the kills occur off screen, with the bodies then being later found by the main characters & while the back story on the death of the popular older brother of the high school outcast & his resurrection, had plenty of potential to make for a good horror story, this too also disappoints, as the film-makers don't really do anything with it, or at least didn't know how to properly execute the story, making the film a true missed opportunity to be something really interesting. Heck despite the familiar faces that grace the film, A RESURRECTION never even got even a small mention on any of the popular horror movie websites, it just got dumped onto DVD with almost no fan fare, which goes to show that even the film-makers & distributors no doubt knew they had a dud on their hands.

All in all, A RESURRECTION is a disappointing horror thriller that adds or does anything even remotely interesting to help you remember anything about it, by the time the film is popped out of you're DVD player. Had this film been placed in the hands of the right film-makers, this no doubt would have made for a very scary, clever & interesting supernatural horror tale, as it is, A RESURRECTION, while successfully resurrecting it's main villain in the story, sadly can't resurrect any decent scares, gore, atmosphere, interesting characters, suspense, tension, much less any atmosphere. The ending leaves a set up for a sequel, which hopefully if one is made, they at least try to make even a half decent outing, than what they brought us here. Horror fans can take a look if they like, but I highly doubt they'll be won over by this mediocre horror flick.

** stars

Worst movie ever !

Author: j7lr from Dominican Republic
24 March 2014

I love SciFi and horror films, but this is not a film, this is garbage.

The acting is horrible, the storyline doesn't make any sense. There's not a script. There are just inexplicable events uninteresting. I can't understand how the actors accepted to film this so called "movie".

High school teenagers would have made a better film.

Avoid this "film", don't waste your time as I did. There are too many good movies.

Next time, I'm going to pay attention to this page. The public gives it a 4 out of 10.

Well, I can't give it more than 1, and that's because 0 is not an option.

My vote: 1 out of 10

This is actually a movie ? not some student school project??

Author: batterygross
1 September 2013

I do not want to believe that this is a real movie... I'll be honest as I can be.... people die or get hurt out side the screen, so you never see any gore or any violence you just see people and a few seconds later they are hurt.

The "Main" character of the movie is one of the worst actors I had ever seen in my life, to be honest the acting in the movie is some of the worst

The acting is very very bad The writing is dumb, nothing makes sense, at all, not the actions people take, the anything that happens

it's just something you need to skip and never watch. it's stupid, it's poorly written and it's all around bad

Good idea very poorly executed

Author: Jon Patrick from United Kingdom
9 June 2015

I don't think I've ever felt so inclined to leave a bad review of a horror movie. I'm very passionate about the genre and in most cases, if a movie is "panned" by critics I usually find that I myself enjoy it, such is the ridiculous bias against the genre by mainstream outlets, so I pay zero attention to the reviews left by others. In this case the movie was panned by critics and by myself to boot, I'm sad to say.

The plot in itself was good and definitely something that under different circumstances could have made for a terrific movie. It was nothing original but it was a simple idea that could have been very effective. However, the acting and to a lesser extent the script completely undermined the premise and made for a very poor movie.

My main gripe is the performance of "Eli" which was nothing less than appalling. Featuring him in the opening scene set the tone for the rest of the movie and made me question the movie very early on. The rest of the cast's performances ranged from poor-acceptable, but I strongly believe that with another portrayal of Eli the film could have too been deemed acceptable. However, such was the portrayal of the main character the movie could not be any better than poor. Without coming across as unnecessarily cruel it was possibly the worst performance that I think I've ever seen and single-handedly sabotaged the film. The responsibility has to fall on the director/producer, whoever that may be, who in addition to leaving in a few less than convincing lines/scenes did not re-cast such an important character.

The camera work was easy on the eye and the budget was capable of backing a good movie, and you would think that with a good idea for a movie there is only a slim chance that it could go wrong. It proved to be the case though as it did go wrong and made for a disappointing 90 minutes.

I wouldn't recommend this to a horror fan unless you are struggling for new movies in the genre to watch. It's not eye-rollingly, mind- numbingly bad by any means but it was definitely disappointing.

Not Scary, Not Entertaining. Not Worth Watching

Author: helen-skura from United States
1 November 2014

Mischa Barton couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag. Viewing her performance in this travesty was actually painful.

Michael Clarke Duncan brought himself down to her level. He should be ashamed of himself.

The supporting cast was an odd mix of irrelevant and absurd.

The plot (what there was of it) made very little sense. I suppose if this story had been handled by a competent director with actually talented actors at his disposal, then the end result might not have been so embarrassing to watch.

As it is, I very much want all those associated with this production to be banned from the industry. (Well, I really want them dropped into an active volcano, but I suppose that's too much to ask...)