IMDb > The Place Beyond the Pines (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Place Beyond the Pines

The Place Beyond the Pines More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 38: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

a 2h+ boring nonsense - for Gosling fanboys only...

Author: TimLaz from France
7 June 2013

I have tried to watch this movie because of the high ratings and good reviews and was utterly disappointed by this very mediocre pointless 2h+ flick. Ryan Gosling is playing the exact same role as always in the exact same manner. He always seems out of his place with his fake emotionless moron-ish look. His acting is limited to be standing like a carp, awaiting to drop his 3 word lines before fading away and then reappearing again... I really don't get how and why he is that famous, he is probably the worst Hollywood actor of present times. Cooper is in contrast far more talented and credible in his role, although he also seems not in his place: I don't get why he was involved in such a bad movie.

This movie is extremely boring, slow paced and pointless. Directing has nothing special and Gosling is so annoying that unless you are one of his fans, he alone should convince you to stop viewing this and save some of your time to do something else.

Save yourself 2h20 of your life and avoid this overrated, pointless B series.

Yawwwn!

Author: wilsr from Australia
28 May 2013

My wife and I saw this in a Sydney Dendy, knowing almost nothing about the movie except that it apparently had good reviews.

About halfway into the thing I asked if she wanted to leave, or stick it out. The reply was that she wanted to see the end, despite the film.

At almost two and a half hours the boredom is almost terminal: I am happy to sit through a movie that engages me, is well made and acted and isn't merely a vehicle for expensive car crashes but even if cut by an hour this would only just keep me in my seat.

I cannot, a week later, remember anything about the movie, which has to say a lot about how I review it. Correction - I do remember the two or three aerial shots following cars and a bike along treelined roads and do recall wondering how they were done: drones or steadicam gantries? And why, just why, were they left in? To make cine geeks like me wonder how? Excellent acting all round, but spoiled by being too long, and - as usual nowadays - full of hand-held sequences for absolutely no valid reason except that it's the modern cliché. And not merely hand-held with some jiggling about for so-called dramatic effect - many were only just detectable as not being shot on a dolly. That made them even more irritating: sloppy.

Marked down in my memory as one not to buy on the DVD.

Three bad movies in one.

Author: Quietb-1 from United States
16 April 2013

Hey. Any well written movie doesn't start dialogue scenes with the word "hey". This one does it at least five times early. Add a loud and distracting music score combined with in their face cinematography and you are creating a hard to like movie.

If you don't like the Ryan Gosling story don't worry it doesn't last too long. It's just long enough to dislike the character. You'll notice when he is recognizable on the motorcycle he goes about ten miles per hour. The helmeted stunt man makes the fast rides.

The Bradley Cooper segment begins with a cop not waiting for backup as he charges, at the need of the writer, into the house to confront Ryan Gosling making an exposition phone call. Bring on Ray Liotta, he is so type cast, he comes on screen screaming dirty cop. Now we have a talky dirty cop movie.

The third segment takes place fifteen years later where son of Gosling gets together with, how did he turn out that way, son of Cooper. Nothing you haven't seen before including the drug drinking party.

You would think something would happen in the woods? Liotta gets a gun armed Cooper to follow him into the woods only to put the car in reverse and drive out. Son of Gosling forces Cooper into the woods and instead of asking for the car keys asks for his wallet as the writer had to show an old folded picture, a stretch.

Combine boring dialogue with unlikeable characters in too long of a movie and the audience doesn't sit through the credits. The movie makes the mistake to references "Goonies" and "Star Wars", you wish you could change the channel to either of these far better movies.

Don't waste your time or money. See any other Bradley Cooper movie, stay out of the pines.

Boring and all in all idiotic

Author: peyo-720-342230
23 June 2013

To be honest I only watched the first 22 minutes of this movie before I closed it, deleted the movie and went to sleep.

The intro of the movie is idiotic, there is almost no dialog, but hey they probably want you to figure out the things yourself, don't worry there is not much to figure out, some macho circus bum with a dirt bike (Gosling) knocks up some Mexican slut (Mendez) and tells her he will be away for a year probably touring with his circus freaks. He changes his mind and quits the tour to take care of his baby "like a mawn".

The movie is full of clichés, I'm talking about '80 "Americans vs. Evil Russians" clichés.

From the hot, blonde, rebellious biker who simply "Doesn't care" or "Lives for the moment" and wears Metallica t-shirt to the catholic Mexican girl who gets knocked up, not to mention the bank robing red necks ahh this movie will give you cancer.

The target audience of this movie are dumb teenage girls who's vajayjay s tickle every time they see Gosling. If your intellectual level is above the one of a mongoloid then this movie is not for you. How the f*** did this get 7.8 rating on IMDb???

Could have been amazing instead a complete bust

Author: killer1h from United States
6 May 2013

When I saw the previews to this movie it looked very interesting, I figured it was going to be a movie that starts out kind of slow and builds up to a really great story, my god was I wrong. This is the exact opposite, the movie starts out laying the ground work for a motorcycle rider/bank robber, and then when the story just gets good, it stops. From that point on they just kind of toss in little side stories here and there from this persons view from that persons view, from everywhere. About mid-way through this ghastly long winded movie you understand where it will all come together, and here's the kicker IT DOES! It comes together just like you think it will and then nothing happens. It's seriously one of the most disappointing movies I've seen this year and if it weren't for Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes this movie would have easily been a 1/10.

Meanders and Doesn't Make a Strong Point

Author: bananacarrot from U.S.A.
30 April 2013

This movie had decent acting, but the pacing and connection between the two story lines was weak at best. The first 30 minutes or so were pretty good, and then things shift dramatically and I started losing investment/interest in the characters. The plot just kind of trickles along with no real direction; it felt like the writers got kind of lost in their own story. I think it was meant to be a movie about how our actions affect others, and maybe about the role/legacy of the father, but it didn't reach any kind of significance for me. I got really bored towards the end and considered walking out (which is saying something b/c it is rare for me not to finish a movie). The movies had the ingredients to potentially be a solid movie, but it just did not make it happen.

Stellar Storytelling,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
6 August 2016

The Place Beyond the Pines is a terrific movie with a very well developed plot and a stunning cast. It was a risky way of telling a story, as we follow several different characters in various periods of time, there is no lead actor as different people take the spotlight. It was very unique as a result, we see how one occurrence can change and alter many lives, it is quite an eye opener.

However, I did find Luke underdeveloped. The screen time Ryan Gosling has is terrific, but because of how secretive and quiet he is we learn very little, I felt underwhelmed by the end. Bradley Cooper is fantastic, essentially the films lead actor in terms of the length he is on screen, he gives a layered performance of a police officer struggling to forget about the past and deal with the present. It was an underrated performance that deserved an Oscar nomination. Deatailed, clever writing, honest, sincere performances and an tense story, The Place Beyond the Pines is certainly worth the watch for anyone looking for a good drama or crime film.

The lives of a motorcycle stunt driver, a dedicated police officer and their sons intersect over the period of several years.

Best Performance: Bradley Cooper

A Place of Dramatic Conflict

Author: Uncle Marvin
24 July 2016

A Place Beyond the Pines is a crime drama with an unconventional timeline. It deals with the generational impact of crime. When a dirtbag dirtbike rider turned bankrobber has a run in with an ambitious hotshot cop, worlds collide. The story follows the situational fallout as their sons make friends at school and get into trouble together. It all goes down in Schenectady, New York, Mohawk for "The Place Beyond the Pines." It's an intriguing title and an intriguing concept.

This picture boasts an all-star cast of Ryan Gosling (The Notebook, Drive) as the rebellious carny, real-life wife Eva Mendez (Training Day, Hitch) as the Hudson Valley heartbreaker, and Bradley Cooper (The Hangover, Silver Linings Playbook) as the political crime fighter, with Australian character actor Ben Mendelsohn (The Dark Knight Rises, Animal Kingdom) as the grease monkey accomplice.

The cinematography was breathtaking, especially the scenes of the capital region. This picture was experimental in several ways. From the opening scene at a traveling show, we see the protagonist wheel around an enclosed dome, trick riding, and the momentum continues. As in Gosling's critically acclaimed Drive, there are prolonged car chase scenes with minimal cuts in the film. The visual effect blends events together and keeps the adrenalin pumping. Movement was a theme in the story. Events propel the story forward as they beget circumstances, much like the physical force going forward on screen. For every action there is a chain reaction, with consequences.

The choppiness of the plot was unique and accentuated by the blending of scenes. Several years span within the story, in keeping with the generational theme. This picture was well- written, with developed characters. When I saw the main character in a Ride the Lightning T- shirt in the opening scene, I was in, and along for the ride. Like the classic album by Metallica, the storytelling in The Place Beyond the Pines does not disappoint.

The actors gave good performances. Gosling was charismatic, Mendez smoldering, Cooper was suave and layered, and the kids were great.

It was a cool concept, flawless execution. The only thing I didn't like about it was the same old "learning to be a better father" subplot that for some reason has to be in every other major release these days (?!). Enough already with the daddy issues. I was surprised this one didn't do better at the box office, perhaps because it was more of a straight drama, as opposed to a genre picture. The drama is more about the characters' personal lives than a heist movie. Eva Mendez cuts a statuesque figure. The bankrobber's lust for her pushes him over the edge.

Incredibly ambitious film

Author: NateWatchesCoolMovies from Canada
18 July 2016

Derek Cianfrance's The Place Beyond The Pines is so ambitious in reaching for its themes, it almost seems godlike in its depictions of paternal archetypes. Even gods fall though, and this is a film that grandly shows us the flaws in two very different fathers, how those qualities and the actions they generate can cause damaging rifts for their offspring and those around them years later. Cianfrance seems intent on tackling difficult subject matters with each new film he makes, spiraling systematically into the heart of human behaviour, and mine for the answers to questions which mean so much to him. Mental illness and love were areas he explored prior to this, and now he takes on fatherhood, fateful missteps included. The film is separated into two distinct and very different episodes. We begin somewhere in the 1980's with Luke Crash (Ryan Gosling) an adrenaline junkie motocross daredevil who is all about little talk, lots of impulse and low rationality. He's drawn along by a petty criminal (Ben Mendelsohn, superb) on a series of increasingly risky bank robberies, with notions of providing for his wife (Eva Mendes) and infant child. He takes it too far though, and tragedy strikes with the arrival of Avery (Bradley Cooper), a gung ho young police officer who suddenly finds himself in the hot seat after being branded a hero cop. The film then makes a jarring leap in both time and tone to present day. Avery is now a political candidate with powerful friends and some nasty secrets that gave him his position. He has a son (Emory Cohen) who's on a rocky road of difficult behaviour, estranged and distant from him. Fate steps in and places Luke's own son (Dane DeHaan) in the mix for a very volatile and prophetic outcome that brings the big picture into full circle. My favourite part of the film is the first segment, particularly the interaction between Mendelsohn and Gosling, and their dynamic. It's so organic and unforced, everything happening with the cadence and pace that I recognize in my own life. That's realism. It's moody, ponderous and has an atmosphere thicker than most films dream of. It's somewhat strangled by the abrupt change halfway through, but it's simply one door in the narrative leading into a new room, and is necessary once I thought about it more. What the film has to day about fathers and sons isn't your garden variety family drama message. There's a near Shakespearian darkness to it, the cloak of inevitability laid down by a few lightning quick moments in one's life that arch out through the years and affect ones children in ways that were never contemplated in that one split second it took to act. Rough stuff, but endlessly fascinating. Ray Liotta does his patented corrupt dick head cop thing nicely, Rose Byrne quietly plays Cooper's wife, and look out for Bruce Greenwood and Harris Yulin as well. After the titanic undertaking he has striven for here, I can't wait to see what Cianfrance has in store for us next. Powerful stuff.

Like father, like son

Author: Ethan_Martin from United States
3 June 2016

I don't think I've ever seen a movie like this before. I mean I've seen movies about criminals, corrupt cops, sons taking after their dads, but never all of those in the same movie. That's what gripped me with this movie, it starts off as one thing, then changes direction, and then circles back on itself. And when it circles back, it's almost like the movie starts over. It starts with Luke (Ryan Gosling) robbing banks to support his lover and newborn son, he gets shot and killed by Bradley Cooper who also has a newborn son, and then both of the sons interact with each other in high school. Luke's kid almost mirrors him exactly, he smokes a lot, he's rebellious, and he doesn't know what to do with his life. Cooper's kid on the other hand, takes advantage of his dad's position as assistant D.A. It then gets uncovered by Luke's son that Cooper killed his dad, and the past comes back to haunt Cooper. It almost has this "Nature vs Nurture" element to it. Did their kids become who they are because of how they were raised, or was it their dad's genes in them that made them who they are. While Luke and his son are eerily similar, Cooper and his son aren't. In fact in most ways they're polar opposites of each other. But towards the end, you see how Cooper's son could take after him and get his life on track, and you can also see how Luke's son will probably grow up just like his dad. Again, it's this very unique circle that I've yet to see in film, and I think it's well executed. If you want a movie that's different, but also relatively easy to follow, check this out.