A Case of You (2013) Poster

(2013)

30 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
It's not stalking, it's research
tieman6414 December 2014
"Love isn't all sunsets and roses. Sometimes it's good old-fashioned surveillance." ― Jarod Kintz

Written by and starring Justin Long, "A Case of You" revolves around Sam, a young writer who uses the Facebook profile of a young woman (Evan Rachel Wood) to assist in romance.

"Case" adheres to a generic "boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl" formula. Elsewhere its portrayals of a "writer" are entirely fantastical, and Evan Rachel Wood gets saddled with a "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" role, a phrase coined by critic Nathan Rabin. Despite its flaws, though, "A Case of You" has some valid things to say about personal acceptance. The film contains mildly amusing cameos by Sam Rockwell, Vince Vaughn and Brendan Fraser.

7.5/10 – Worth one viewing.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Haters are gonna hate, but lovers are gonna love.
kickbuttpotato31 March 2014
"A Case of You" is worth singling out if some great flicks like "Ruby Sparks" made you dig for more. Though, this movie is sort of reliving the dumb formula from the comparison. Okay, an honest opinion is that viewers will be fractured by the plot's predictability, but I'm buying. That doesn't prevent me from saying that the film is one of the sweet romantic comedies bolstered with energy from its young cast ensemble of bright comedians. I dunno, but call me crazy.

Sam (Justin Long) is a well-known author that suffers a block to his next book. An inspiration is what he totally needs, suffice to say. Until she meets the cute blondie coffee gal named Birdie (Evan Rachel Wood), he develops a quirky obsession. As soon as Sam learns that she was fired for frequent tardiness at work, he decided to stalk her Facebook account and decisively scan her likes, interests, and routines. Sam is the ideal manly stalker. And one by one he tries to learn what she likes to do: Play the guitar, read Darwinian, and rock climbing. This is in no doubt a rudimentary principle of we follow in order to woo our special someone, and I admire the film for having the guts to deliver it regardless of being stereotyped.

The chemistry between Long and Wood feels cheesy but endearing. Though, their kismet might be unfairly familiar but at least it's sugar-coated with their funny moment and both make it work. We also get the most of Keir O'Donnell as Sam's buddy roommate Eliot especially from his late- bloomer taboo jokes therein. And the same goes to Peter Dinklage as a gay barista and Brendan Fraser as Birdie's ex Tony. Too bad Dinklage and Fraser is alarmingly hilarious they deserve more time frame than Busy Philips and Vince Vaughn (although he's too substantial) who are both fruitless here. Also adding Sam Rockwell to the mix as the guitar lesson instructor, it gets ticklish funny.

The credits for the screenplay goes to Justin, his brother Christian, and O'Donnell themselves. Kudos to them. They keep me howling in some of their one-liners and made me attracted to their persona. However, like I said their notion for the narrative may disappoint for its jaded impression. This explains why major distributors refused to finance the film for trust issues and let IFC do it anyway. Nevertheless, this made me look forward for Justin for his next screenplay pitch and see what he could bring new to the table other than acting well in this film. He's proved to be an actor and auteur.

The film doesn't just focus on the love story per se. As we delve into Sam's motivational ease, we're starting to care for whether what he's potent feelings towards Birdie is ideal to be in his own writing or not. The message is too simple to guess, but heck we all have our Sams within us. If Sam don't end up winning Birdie's heart, at least she ends up helping him close the chapter.

"A Case of You" is essentially sweet quirky rom-com that kept me howling with hilarity straight up. If you're a fan of Ruby Sparks, this touching gem is worth singling out.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Justin Long and Evan Rachel Wood play it safe.
Brent Hankins14 November 2013
In the age of social media, dating has become infinitely more complicated, and the ability to pore over your loved one's Facebook profile or Twitter feed to find those little idiosyncracies that make them unique is something we've probably all experienced. But what happens when you start taking it a bit too far?

Written by Justin Long (who also stars), A Case of You follows struggling writer Sam, whose daily trips to a local coffee shop have left him infatuated with the free-spirited Birdie (Evan Rachel Wood). Unfortunately, Birdie loses her job before Sam works up the nerve to ask her out, but never fear - with a little bit of Facebook stalking, Sam can not only find out where she'll be next, he can also begin molding himself into her ideal match.

Yes, it sounds more than a little creepy, but Long is charming and charismatic enough to keep us interested, and Sam's willingness to put himself into incredibly awkward situations in order to impress Birdie result in some humorous exchanges. There are also a few laugh-out-loud moments that come courtesy of Keir O'Donnell as Sam's roommate and Peter Dinklage as a flamboyantly sassy barista.

While amusing at times, A Case of You doesn't stray far from the typical romantic comedy template: boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy learns important life lesson and tries to win girl back. The chemistry between Long and Wood is believable, and watching them together is far from boring, but the film never aspires to be more than a paint-by-numbers affair. It's a decent first effort for screenwriter Long, but certainly nothing that reinvents the genre.

-- Brent Hankins, www.nerdrep.com
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny But Very Cliché at Times....
Clayton Davis2 May 2013
Where the romantic comedy A Case of You, starring Justin Long and Evan Rachel Wood, succeeds is ultimately where it missteps. Directed Kat Coiro assembles a terrific cast including the underutilized Sam Rockwell and extremely memorable Peter Dinklage, however, the screenplay that is co-written by Long along with brother Christian and Keir O'Donnell doesn't have a true sense of identity. Tells the story of a young man who thinks he's met the girl of his dreams and attempts to court her by all interests and statuses from her Facebook page.

In an era where social media is prevalent and dating becomes the new norm via a tweet or a poke, the story rings true in many ways. However, the misguided title and evolution of events don't exactly scream fresh and unique. Coiro manages some very funny moments and gets some decent outcomes from some of the cast particularly Evan Rachel Wood and Peter Dinklage. In its short running time, the film doesn't exactly feel smooth and polished in the way a comedy needs to be.

With all the obvious flaws, A Case of You is still very entertaining and enjoyable. Sam Rockwell is memorable in his few moments on-screen along with Vince Vaughn and Brendan Fraser. Check it out when you can.

Read More @ The Awards Circuit (http://www.awardscircuit.com)
27 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
mildly amusing
SnoopyStyle22 May 2014
Sam (Justin Long) is a weary writer who novelizes movies. He turns already made movies into novels. He is smitten with the coffee shop girl Birdie Hazel (Evan Rachel Wood). So he uses her Facebook profile to bone up on all her favorites.

This is co-written by Justin Long. He's playing his try and true awkward uncomfortable character. There are a lot of great actors. Peter Dinklage, Sam Rockwell and Brendan Fraser are all going out of their way to play wild crazy characters. It would have been better if one of them played the bigger character of the best friend. Of course they were probably just doing Justin a favor. Evan Rachel Wood is lovely but she's not the rom-com type. There are mildly amusing performances. The central concept is a good idea to write a movie around. The ending is quite cheesy. The movie needs much better writing. It makes me appreciate how hard comedy is.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Lead Doesn't Like Himself , So How Can You Like this Film?
danew138 February 2014
This another in a long line of films that begins with the rather absurd situation of a good looking guy or gal who can't get a date.

In this case, when a young author, with self esteem issues, finally sees someone he likes, instead of just asking his soul mate out he devises a plan to assure her they have things in common via her Facebook profile.

The guy played by the usually likable Justin Long, (will he ever top Zack and Miri?)who is so preoccupied with living the lie he created, then writing a book about it, he never really seems to be connected to his girl Evan Rachel Wood. He's too worried about the deception to really connect wih her.

She, on the other hand, plays the role of woman falling for Justin...but you can't understand why. It's almost as if she's in the wrong movie. There's no chemistry between them.

This could have been a fun film had the script, oddly wriitten by Long, had been more of a straight forward romance.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tony Heck3 February 2014
"You could become the man of her dreams if you wanted to." Sam (Long) is a struggling writer who has a crush on Birdie (Wood), the barista at the coffee place he frequents. He has no idea how to approach her until his friend brings up the idea of looking at her Facebook profile. Sam studies what he sees and becomes everything she is looking for. When she begins to fall for him Sam rethinks his choices. I am really becoming a Justin Long fan. In every movie he is in he is very easy to like and very funny. After the amazing Best Man Down movie I was looking forward to seeing this. While this wasn't as good as that one this was still very enjoyable. What could have been a generic cookie cutter romantic comedy was changed just enough to make it interesting and fun to watch. The best part was that it wasn't 100% predictable, more like 90% but still... The movie is more or less about a non-creepy (not totally at least) stalker who gets the girl by not being himself. It had the possibility of being totally creepy and borderline scary but the performances and the writing made it sweet and funny. I did like this quite a bit and recommend it. Overall, the sweetest and least creepy stalker movie I have ever seen. I give this a B+.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cute and Worth Your Time if You Have It
dansview13 December 2015
A reviewer said that our protagonist was basing his interest in the girl solely on looks. That is not true. He saw her every day interacting with customers at the coffee shop. He liked her spirit.

Reviewers also can't understand why she would like our guy, especially since he was a faker. But you can't account for attraction. She saw the real him all along and liked it. Perhaps she was flattered that he made such an effort to accommodate her interests.

Women have intuition that guides them in relationships. She liked him. Let's accept that and move on.

Just Long's comedic timing was perfect in this one. It's like he was channeling Woody Allen without actually copying him. I also thought the cameos were fine. You had a fast-talking publisher, a gay midget coffee guy, an oafish ex-boyfriend, and a wacky guitar teacher, all played by stars. They were good. No one went over the top, which would have been very easy to do.

I think the best thing in this one was the roommate and his girlfriend. I'm not familiar with either actor, but they were natural, funny, down-to-earth, and genuinely helpful.

I don't know the lead girl, Ms. Wood, but she sure is lovely. If her character was not a child of hippies, she would have a jock boyfriend.

There was so much potential for this flick to fall into "Indie" stereotypes with a soundtrack, self-conscious performances, existential philosophy, and some depressing commentary on life. But this one didn't do that. The quirky pixie girl actually turned out to be a solid person with a forgiving soul and plenty of patience.

Although I would love to know how she supports herself.

One thing to note is that all her interests are wildly Left Wing, but she does explain that being due to her parentage. But I guess you could say that the one "Indie" stereotype is that the characters almost always love Godless, artsy stuff, and like most rom-coms, they seem to always live in New York. Trust me folks, N.Y. is not romantic at all. It's dirty, dangerous, crowded, and smelly.

Good movie. Not particularly memorable, but worth a date night. Enjoy.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A case for background checks and further research on people's life partners
Steve Pulaski20 November 2013
As I've stated before, there's nothing worse in life than (a) a wasted talent and (b) a wasted opportunity on film and, unfortunately, A Case of You is a misstep in what could've resulted in a film with a strong commentary on our over-connected society. Its issue right off the bat is it takes an idea that isn't really romantic and makes it the subject of a romantic comedy. The idea of a man using a woman's social networking profile (a woman he just met, mind you) to make an attempt to model himself after a man who likes the same music as she does, the same books, and the same activities so he can come to have a chance with her.

This movie shows qualities of a man I'm sure few women appreciate: disingenuous behavior, dishonesty, possible invasion of privacy, etc. Not exactly the traits you'd want to find in your significant other. Let me offer a question to the girls that enjoyed this film, what if you current or future significant other did the same thing that the lead male character in A Case of You to you? Would you still find his qualities ones to relish and his character worthy enough to date? The man in question is Sam (Justin Long), an ambitious writer confined to the uninspired job of penning the novelizations to hit movies (confession: I collected those like antique comics as a child). The female he falls for is Birdie (Evan Rachel Wood), a barista he meets one day who is subsequently fired the following day. Sam then asks the flirtatious, presumably homosexual dwarf who works there (Peter Dinklage in the kind of role he should avoid if he wants to try and break any stereotypes) about her to which he provides her last name, leaving Sam's option to go from socializing to social-networking.

Both Long and Wood give adequate performances because their charisma as actors rarely allows them to do otherwise. Since both actors have started, each have taken a wide-variety of roles, Wood especially, whose riveting performance in Catherine Hardwicke's Thirteen as a delinquent teen I'll never forget. However, it is Long's character who is unlikable in the picture, one of the only movies next to his film Taking Chances a few years back that I recall not being fond of his character. Long's character, for starters, is one of the writer-types that likes to write three to five sentence before deleting them in disgust. Furthermore, he's also the kind of person in a romantic comedy that has the gall to get angry at the girl for liking the person he pretends to be rather than the person he really is.

This is where my optimism and likability for Long's character went out the window. Here's a guy who fakes his entire personality for this woman and convinces her everything she likes and dislikes mirrors his personal likes and dislikes before getting mad at her for not having anything else to talk about besides her specific tastes. To put that in some perspective, that'd be like if I was a filmmaker and mentioned a movie not my own that I really loved and enjoyed to my girlfriend. Say we talked about it for a long while. Trying to follow the abrupt change in emotions portrayed in A Case of You, it'd be like after fifteen minutes of discussing the film I got mad at my girlfriend for not mentioning my movie.

Cameos are littered in the movie, including Sam's pest of a boss played by Vince Vaughn, Brendan Fraser in questionably necessary role, and Sam Rockwell as a guitar teacher who is called by Sam once he learns Birdie finds nothing sexier than a man who can play guitar. It's depressing to note that Rockwell's performance here is shockingly unfunny and so over-the-top and out of place in the film that it's a blessing he's only in one scene. Never again do I want to say such a thing about Rockwell.

The film wants to make a case for the unhealthy qualities that arouse when there is a bias or larger focus on one person in a relationship, but by the third act, when the problem is recognized, it's hard to have any sympathy for the lead character since he brought it all upon himself. The only sympathy one can have is for Wood's character, who is just sucked into this mess by an insincere man wearing sincere clothing. Director Kat Coiro seems to understand human relationships, given her tract record of short films and feature-length films concerning love, personal struggles, and dating, but Coiro seems to make A Case of You into a case for background checks and further research on people's life partners.

Starring: Justin Long, Evan Rachel Wood, Vince Vaughn, Sam Rockwell, Brendan Fraser, and Peter Dinklage. Directed by: Kat Coiro.
15 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A case of the bland and conventional.
shawneofthedead12 February 2014
Remember when indie rom-coms - films made on a shoestring budget - were quirky, odd and refreshingly different from their Hollywood brethren? Those days, it seems, are long past. Truthfully, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything beyond the conventional in A Case Of You, a slight, sweet romance that's passably entertaining but never fully engages on an emotional level.

In this day and age of social media stalking, struggling writer Sam (Justin Long) decides to study up on just about anything and everything his sun-kissed barista Birdie (Evan Rachel Wood) has liked on Facebook. He's unwilling to really show the world who he is, you see, so he busies himself with guitar lessons, cooking classes and books he's never heard of. But, when things start to get serious, Sam freaks out, realising that Birdie has no idea who he really is as a person.

Scripted by Long, his brother Christian and Keir O'Donnell, A Case Of You is earnest and well-intentioned - for the most part, it even manages to steer clear of making Sam's studying of Birdie's Facebook page as creepy as it could be. It even adds a couple of nice moments when Sam lets his guard down and tells Birdie more about himself, which does lend some genuine credibility to their relationship.

But it's all too predictable. As Sam blunders his way through classes, picking up approximately no new demonstrable skills and writing a brooding novel about his exploits (much creepier than Facebook- stalking), the film coasts along with hardly any narrative tension. It's tough also because Birdie, despite Wood's best efforts, comes across as your standard Manic Pixie Dream Girl: that stereotypically kooky sweetheart of a love interest who will melt and win even the hardest of hearts.

It's a shame because this is Long's best work yet as an actor. He keeps Sam grounded, real and annoying at just the right moments. When Sam's painstakingly constructed illusion of happiness shatters before him, Long folds a lot of heartbreak into the tears shining in his eyes. He shares a fun chemistry with Wood, who might not be able to break free of the script but does at least get to show off her pipes in one of the film's better scenes.

What's more telling is the fact that the most memorable bits of A Case Of You largely don't involve the two main characters. Instead, it's the cameos by a host of actors - no doubt pulled up from Long's own Facebook page - that provide the most laughs. Peter Dinklage, for one, is having the time of his life as Gerard, Birdie's oddball coffee-shop boss. The same goes for Sam Rockwell in the role of Sam's drug-addled guitar teacher.

Over 15 years ago, You've Got Mail re-invented the romantic comedy in the wake of technological advancements such as e-mail and modem dial- ups. It's quaint now, of course, but it sparkles with a wit and romance that's largely missing from A Case Of You. The latter film may be timely, folding Facebook and its myriad pros and cons into a modern love story. But it's far from timeless - a fact most unfortunately underscored by its failure to secure the rights to the classic Joni Mitchell song after which it's named.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Easy and fun
zif ofoz9 February 2014
First - watch this flick for Peter Dinklage as Gerard - he is a perfect bitchy hoot! His character adds so much sparkle to this run of the mill story!

It's easy to follow - boy tries to mold himself into something he is not only to get the attention of the girl he so wants to date! The story incorporates modern social media and brings to the surface that everything someone writes about themselves is not necessarily interpreted correctly by the reader. And in doing that Sam makes a fool of himself!

You can't go wrong with this movie - lots of chuckles and a few laughs - with a feel good ending!
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An amusing and subtle Love Story....
tgarciadiez23 February 2014
Sam (Long), a modern-day writer, is introduced to the viewer as a shy and timid guy who finds himself in the dilemma of not finding his "Inspiration" in life. This immediately gives the viewer a sort of compassion for the desperate man who is in a sort of life-crisis... We are later introduced to a beautiful and down to earth girl, Birdie (Wood), the barista at the coffee bar where Sam frequently goes to. He finds himself beginning to like this girl but not knowing how to engage a conversation or a mere chance of getting to know her apart from the small chit chat that takes place while waiting for his coffee to be served. After a days work he goes back to his house and talks to Eliot (O'Donnell), his roommate, who tells him to look her up on Facebook so that he could get to find out something about this unknown barista and become her ideal man. Sam finally gets the opportunity to date Birdie but finds that he is becoming someone who he really isn't and becomes panic-struck with what is happening...... Personally I feel that many can connect with that lost and helpless feeling that Sam undergoes throughout the film until finally making it out and finding that, that makes one happy. The movie is not out of this world and could be considered another monotonous love story by many but, if you have some free time on your hands, give it a watch! You wont disappointed.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stalking, misogynist psychopaths really shouldn't have girlfriends.
allt-genast12 August 2014
How is it even possible to write a protagonist as unlikeable as Sam? First he decides to manipulate his dream girl Birdie (who, by the way, is his dream girl based solely on her looks since he's never talked to her but only stared creepy and longingly at her over his daily coffee) by memorizing her facebook. Then, when he seems to succeed, he flips out and shames Birdie for HIS actions, doing everything but physically abuse her. Then, for reasons unknown to anyone except for the script writers, Birdie chooses Sam anyway. And the audience is supposed to root for them.

When, in the pretend-reality that follows an ending like this, Sam continues to verbally abuse and control Birdie based on his jealous imagination and complete lack of self esteem (because he will) I can only hope she ups and leaves him.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
wonderful feel good comedy
Sweetigal8528 May 2017
This movie is full of laughs and has plenty of heart. It is very relatable and enjoyable. I loved it from the very first scene. Definitely a must see.

I am a huge Justin Long fan so he was my immediate draw to this movie. He plays an adorable, hopeless romantic who takes a chance pursuing the girl he admires from afar. I personally found her character to be a little strange but you love her more since he adores her so much. I have seen some reviews claim that he was creepy and stalkerish but I did not get this vibe at all and that is definitely not what the creator was going for.

As an aspiring writer, I was immediately hooked and I LOVE how he learns about himself through the character he is writing. Very poetic and brilliant. Shows how we are all kind of writers in our own way, living chapter by chapter and trying to create the perfect ending.

The only reason I am not giving it a perfect score is because I didn't care for some of the secondary characters, I could have done without them. But the two of them were amazing together and the ending is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face.

I also very much enjoyed the random comedy of Vince Vaughn throughout the movie. And the surprise appearance of Ralphie from A Christmas Story!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good effort for a machine
xhidden9928 December 2016
This is a pretty good movie if there was an app to write movies using a vast template of clichés, stereotypes and characters and scenes you've seen a few thousand times before. It's not awful and its very well put together. Almost flawless. Technically it's like the robot version of a movie. And without irony, snarky, self criticism either. And to be fair it has some pretty funny small moments. And in a way it's refreshing to see a technically soulless perfect execution of an idea in an era of awful indie anarchist hipster junk still doing bad sound, shaky cam, weak lighting and an incoherent story.

But if you're looking for either something very good or new or interesting or even high drama, sitcom level high drama then no. You'll be disappointed. The machine isn't that sophisticated or adventurous for that. And that's a good thing because it will be entirely predictable, like comfort food.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pleasant romantic story of two people trying to find their paths.
TxMike27 December 2015
I was able to view this on Netflix streaming.

Justin Long wrote the script and stars as Sam. Set in Brooklyn, he is a writer, he contracts to write the book after a movie has come out. Basically he tells what happened in the movie. He has little creative control.

He takes a notice one day of pretty and interesting, but chronically late for work, Evan Rachel Wood as the coffee barista Birdie. We find that she also hangs out in a park and draws pencil on paper caricatures for money. She is very good at it.

The story gets a very modern twist when his apartment mate suggests that he just look her up on Facebook and send her a message. He goes a big step further, Sam decides he will Facebook stalk her to find out what she is really looking for in a man and become that man. That eventually leads to such things as guitar lessons, Judo lessons, and reading certain authors. But Sam isn't being himself, he starts to get depressed by that.

There are a couple of characters I feel are unnecessarily written obscenely, played by Dinklage and Rockwell, but one character I found very appropriate is Vince Vaughn as publisher Alan. His character strikes a good balance between patronizing and funny, always keeping Sam wondering what he really meant.

This is a nice story and towards the end it has some nice twists that make it enjoyable. Much of the theme is finding out who you really are and being that person, not trying to be someone else.

SPOILERS: As Sam's and Birdie's relationship develops he starts to write his own novel and basing it on what he is doing and how it is coming along. He sends early chapters to Alan who gets very excited by it. Things get tense when Birdie tells Sam she is falling in love with him, but Sam is guilty because she doesn't really know him. As it all turns out she knew very early what he was doing, with the Facebook stalking, and instead of getting angry thought it was endearing. She actually threw in things on her FB profile just to see if Sam would take the bait. She was having fun with it. In the end Sam decides to be who he really is and his chances with Birdie seem good.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cliché Romantic Comedy, but reminds of how a relationship can work.
lasting111 October 2015
I liked this movie and first thought Justin Long and Rachel Wood were very mismatched. Changing my opinion early on, we realize that many people do not have a lot of confidence in finding love and dating in general. The couple meet in a local coffee shop were he finds her funny and engaging. He use resources on her Facebook page to have the courage to pursue her and invests all his energy in becoming all the things she likes on her Facebook interests. He's a movie writer and she loses her job in the coffee shop where they first met due to tardiness & he tracks her at a open acting forum and becomes diligent in learning many talents. Dancing, Rock climbing, camping, & guitar playing just to name a few. To know him is probably for some other movie, but he was a joy to see how dedicated he was to involve himself in all the hobbies and ambitions she has. I found it entertaining, somewhat predictable, but she also was aware of his charm no matter what his premise was. It was refreshing to see a couple develop a relationship no matter how flawed it was, and surely it was a novelty from the sexual posture all romantic comedies take on first.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mildly amusing in parts but hack writer protagonist utilizing Facebook interests to woo the girl fails the likability test
Turfseer9 July 2015
Writer/producer Justin Long's 2013 rom- com, "A Case of You," was most notably viewed at the Tribeca Film Festival and had a very limited commercial run. Some critics were very harsh in their critique of Long's comedy about Sam, a dissatisfied film novelist who falls in love with a barista he meets at a Brooklyn coffee shop. I'm not sure if I would go as far as Rodrigo Perez did in "The Playlist" when he condemns "A Case of You" as the first Facebook "Stalker Comedy," but ultimately the film's premise is a thin one.

The barista in question is one "Birdie," played by Evan Rachel Wood. After Birdie is fired from her job, Sam decides to seek her out but first decides to become familiar with all her Facebook hobbies. In that way, he reasons, she'll be drawn to him. A few of the bits are actually amusing, especially Justin's guitar lessons with a 90s music aficionado loser played by Sam Rockwell and Sam's agent and a literary consultant's critique of his new "art" novel based on his relationship with Birdie (their professional advice is that his protagonist is a narcissist which leads Sam to an epiphany that his phony way of courting Birdie is no longer working).

The problem with most of this is that Sam is too much of a loser for us to have much sympathy for him. In real life, it's the ego-infused "bad boys" that should interest us, as they cross the ethical line with impunity and often (unfortunately), get away with it. In contrast, Long and his co-writers ask us to laugh at "sad sacks" like Sam due to their ineptitude and laughing at such characters with their attendant pratfalls, do little to tickle the funny bone.

The narrative also occasionally goes too far, crossing into the realm of crude humor. Example: Roommate Eliot, who masturbates to pictures of Martha Stewart and a contemporary Carrie Fischer!

To cap things off, we learn that Birdie has realized early on what Sam has been doing but still falls for him anyway (an unlikely turn of events unless you like sentimental endings). The theme of "A Case of You," is "To thine own self be true," with Sam finally realizing that being somebody else ultimately does not lead to success in the courtship game. What he should have done was watched Bill Murray's masterful performance in "Groundhog Day," a basic primer on the correct and incorrect way of "getting the girl."
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Easy to watch romantic comedy
danettmeyer23 June 2015
Average romance flick. Which your brain will forget about after an hour of finishing the movie. But does the job if your sitting with the girlfriend and your in need of some light entertainment. You can sit there play games on your phone, have plenty of toilet breaks, read the Sunday paper back to back and you still won't miss a single piece of storyline.

No laugh out loud moments that I can remember. Justin long does his usual stuff. The love interest doesn't really stand out either. But pretty good pacing so it ticks along. So tune in, turn off your mind and put your arm around your girl.
Pleasant little surprise
deavesy2412 January 2015
Chose to watch this one night when I couldn't decide what to watch and needed something quite easy. Well.. I was pleasantly surprised. This film which pitches itself as a romantic comedy actually had a bit of hidden depth in the shape of its protagonist and his issues around relationships, no doubt related to his relationship with his mum. It sounds quite serious but is quite funny really. The starry cameos, including Peter Dinklage as a camp Barista, and Sam Rockwell as a hippie guitar teacher all add to a general quirky humour. Its not amazing by any standard but if you fancy a romance which is entertaining, amusing but makes you think a little I'd recommend you give it a whirl!
Standard Rom-Com Tropes - VERY WHITE
Steady Betty13 October 2015
Caught this because I'm a fan of Justin Long and Evan Rachel Wood. The director also has a strong reputation.

The movie isn't bad, as my title states, it's a pretty standard, and by that I mean tired, rom-com. Nothing new here. The script has a few funny lines, visually it's uninspired.

I would not consider this a true indie because it features a cast of all-stars. Here is the problem with that - They are all white. Everyone! The film takes place in one of the most diverse cities on earth and yet everyone in the movie is white. Ordinarily I don't notice the white washing in movies, but this one really stood out. I think it stood out precisely because of how many famous people play secondary roles. They are roles that have no specific ethnicity or gender, and yet this casting director and director chose only white folks. Anyone could have played those parts, and likely better. Seriously Vince Vaughn; what are you even doing in this movie? I'm not particularly a Kevin Hart fan, but he could have played the role and at least you'd have had one person of color in a major supporting role. Instead the only diversity comes from throw away roles. Not actual parts at all, just folks on camera. I really can't understand how none of the producers mentioned this in pre-production. If you have these known talents in your film, that means you have the budget to give anyone a day rate. You could have actually showcased the true diversity of this city and America. Instead it's just a tired trope, derivative movie, featuring a cast of well know white actors. Simple casting parity with the same script and story would have made the whole thing more interesting.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pleasant inoffensive charming
phd_travel1 June 2014
This is a highly possible scenario, a man makes himself attractive to the object of his affection by making himself out to be interested in all her facebook likes. This Justin Long written movie is quite charming indie movie that isn't that great but is worth one watch.

It's funny in some parts, touching in some parts and a bit strained in some parts.

Even though Evan Rachel Wood is kind of out of someone who looks like Justin Long's league, she gives a convincing performance as being in love with him.

The ending avoids clichés and is quite charming.

Worth one watch
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A feel-good modern love story
Leczfalvi Andrei17 November 2013
This movie is exactly what I expected to be and it left me with a good overall sensation. Nice way to cool off and spend your afternoon, maybe to break a series of action blockbusters.

The comedy part achieved its goal, brought by a combination of light and intelligent humor and good acting.

The romantic part is also well driven, without pushing any boundaries.

The story that leads to and the climax itself it's kind of lightweight, more tension would have been appreciated to top the good start.

Worth to check it out also for the great cast, Evan Rachel Wood is a win for this role, Peter Dinklage, Vince Vaughn and Sam Rockwell's performances deserve to be mentioned here, too.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really Boring! 2/10
leonblackwood10 August 2014
Review: Man, this film was extremely boring! It's a simple case of boy meets girl, boy likes girl, boy goes on Facebook to find out about girl, boy realises that he is doing everything to please the girl to woo her, boy comes clean about not being himself and then they fall into each other's arms. I was expecting a romantic comedy with some jokes, but it's totally not funny and it just seems to drag after a while. Justin along was really dull in this movie and he didn't even attempt any witty lines. He just moans through the whole film, which is surprising as he actually made it himself. The impressive cast list got wasted because there not really in the movie that much, so you end up watching Sam, the main character, making a big deal out of a simple loving relationship. Waste Of Time!

Round-Up: Brendan Fraser, Sam Rockwell and Vince Vaughn must have done this movie as a favour to Justin Long because I can't really see them reading the script and thinking to themselves "I Must Be In This Movie" because it's really not that good. It's obvious that Justin Long isn't that great at playing the lead because he was annoying in Die Hard 4.0 and pretty annoying in this movie. I was hoping for a light hearted comedy with loads of funny jokes, but I was totally disappointed.

I recommend this movie to people who are into there Rom-Com's about a man who looks on Facebook to woo a girl and ends up doing everything for her whilst not being true to himself. 2/10
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
i can't believe people like this movie
Melissa Greer5 January 2016
I knew this film was going to be cheesy when I chose to watch it on Netflix. I was up for a cheesy one so I gave it a chance. it's amazing that I was able to watch this thing to the end, because it was so horrible. the only entertaining part about it was the male barista. he did a great job in this movie. however, the writing was full of holes and incredibly unbelievable. first off, if birdie is so amazing, where are any of her friends? the improve chick that she lied to is the only thing close to a friend that the girl has the entire movie. sam has a handful of people that he talks to on his end, including a roommate, but we never even learn why they are living together in the first place or how they know each other. sam has nothing interesting about his character, but somehow this amazing girl falls for him. there's nothing to fall for! everything is a lie! and worst part of it all, she admits in the end that she knows it's all a lie and still dug him!! seriously, sam's roommie and his girlfriend are the friends that come to see the recital at the end, (they barely know each other) and they only purpose of that is so that the viewers get closure on their pathetic subplot. I love busy phillips and this role was sad for her. nothing spicy at all like i'm used to from her. and why did vince Vaughn's drabby character start saying I love you all of a sudden in the middle of the movie to sam? weird. the most unbelievable thing about this movie is that they ended up together at the end.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this