IMDb > A Case of You (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Case of You

A Case of You More at IMDbPro »

Funny But Very Cliché at Times....

Author: Clayton Davis ( from New Jersey
2 May 2013

Where the romantic comedy A Case of You, starring Justin Long and Evan Rachel Wood, succeeds is ultimately where it missteps. Directed Kat Coiro assembles a terrific cast including the underutilized Sam Rockwell and extremely memorable Peter Dinklage, however, the screenplay that is co-written by Long along with brother Christian and Keir O'Donnell doesn't have a true sense of identity. Tells the story of a young man who thinks he's met the girl of his dreams and attempts to court her by all interests and statuses from her Facebook page.

In an era where social media is prevalent and dating becomes the new norm via a tweet or a poke, the story rings true in many ways. However, the misguided title and evolution of events don't exactly scream fresh and unique. Coiro manages some very funny moments and gets some decent outcomes from some of the cast particularly Evan Rachel Wood and Peter Dinklage. In its short running time, the film doesn't exactly feel smooth and polished in the way a comedy needs to be.

With all the obvious flaws, A Case of You is still very entertaining and enjoyable. Sam Rockwell is memorable in his few moments on-screen along with Vince Vaughn and Brendan Fraser. Check it out when you can.

Read More @ The Awards Circuit (

It's not stalking, it's research

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
14 December 2014

"Love isn't all sunsets and roses. Sometimes it's good old-fashioned surveillance." ― Jarod Kintz

Written by and starring Justin Long, "A Case of You" revolves around Sam, a young writer who uses the Facebook profile of a young woman (Evan Rachel Wood) to assist in romance.

"Case" adheres to a generic "boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl" formula. Elsewhere its portrayals of a "writer" are entirely fantastical, and Evan Rachel Wood gets saddled with a "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" role, a phrase coined by critic Nathan Rabin. Despite its flaws, though, "A Case of You" has some valid things to say about personal acceptance. The film contains mildly amusing cameos by Sam Rockwell, Vince Vaughn and Brendan Fraser.

7.5/10 – Worth one viewing.

Author: Tony Heck ( from United States
3 February 2014

"You could become the man of her dreams if you wanted to." Sam (Long) is a struggling writer who has a crush on Birdie (Wood), the barista at the coffee place he frequents. He has no idea how to approach her until his friend brings up the idea of looking at her Facebook profile. Sam studies what he sees and becomes everything she is looking for. When she begins to fall for him Sam rethinks his choices. I am really becoming a Justin Long fan. In every movie he is in he is very easy to like and very funny. After the amazing Best Man Down movie I was looking forward to seeing this. While this wasn't as good as that one this was still very enjoyable. What could have been a generic cookie cutter romantic comedy was changed just enough to make it interesting and fun to watch. The best part was that it wasn't 100% predictable, more like 90% but still... The movie is more or less about a non-creepy (not totally at least) stalker who gets the girl by not being himself. It had the possibility of being totally creepy and borderline scary but the performances and the writing made it sweet and funny. I did like this quite a bit and recommend it. Overall, the sweetest and least creepy stalker movie I have ever seen. I give this a B+.

Haters are gonna hate, but lovers are gonna love.

Author: kickbuttpotato from Philippines
31 March 2014

"A Case of You" is worth singling out if some great flicks like "Ruby Sparks" made you dig for more. Though, this movie is sort of reliving the dumb formula from the comparison. Okay, an honest opinion is that viewers will be fractured by the plot's predictability, but I'm buying. That doesn't prevent me from saying that the film is one of the sweet romantic comedies bolstered with energy from its young cast ensemble of bright comedians. I dunno, but call me crazy.

Sam (Justin Long) is a well-known author that suffers a block to his next book. An inspiration is what he totally needs, suffice to say. Until she meets the cute blondie coffee gal named Birdie (Evan Rachel Wood), he develops a quirky obsession. As soon as Sam learns that she was fired for frequent tardiness at work, he decided to stalk her Facebook account and decisively scan her likes, interests, and routines. Sam is the ideal manly stalker. And one by one he tries to learn what she likes to do: Play the guitar, read Darwinian, and rock climbing. This is in no doubt a rudimentary principle of we follow in order to woo our special someone, and I admire the film for having the guts to deliver it regardless of being stereotyped.

The chemistry between Long and Wood feels cheesy but endearing. Though, their kismet might be unfairly familiar but at least it's sugar-coated with their funny moment and both make it work. We also get the most of Keir O'Donnell as Sam's buddy roommate Eliot especially from his late- bloomer taboo jokes therein. And the same goes to Peter Dinklage as a gay barista and Brendan Fraser as Birdie's ex Tony. Too bad Dinklage and Fraser is alarmingly hilarious they deserve more time frame than Busy Philips and Vince Vaughn (although he's too substantial) who are both fruitless here. Also adding Sam Rockwell to the mix as the guitar lesson instructor, it gets ticklish funny.

The credits for the screenplay goes to Justin, his brother Christian, and O'Donnell themselves. Kudos to them. They keep me howling in some of their one-liners and made me attracted to their persona. However, like I said their notion for the narrative may disappoint for its jaded impression. This explains why major distributors refused to finance the film for trust issues and let IFC do it anyway. Nevertheless, this made me look forward for Justin for his next screenplay pitch and see what he could bring new to the table other than acting well in this film. He's proved to be an actor and auteur.

The film doesn't just focus on the love story per se. As we delve into Sam's motivational ease, we're starting to care for whether what he's potent feelings towards Birdie is ideal to be in his own writing or not. The message is too simple to guess, but heck we all have our Sams within us. If Sam don't end up winning Birdie's heart, at least she ends up helping him close the chapter.

"A Case of You" is essentially sweet quirky rom-com that kept me howling with hilarity straight up. If you're a fan of Ruby Sparks, this touching gem is worth singling out.

Justin Long and Evan Rachel Wood play it safe.

Author: Brent Hankins from
14 November 2013

In the age of social media, dating has become infinitely more complicated, and the ability to pore over your loved one's Facebook profile or Twitter feed to find those little idiosyncracies that make them unique is something we've probably all experienced. But what happens when you start taking it a bit too far?

Written by Justin Long (who also stars), A Case of You follows struggling writer Sam, whose daily trips to a local coffee shop have left him infatuated with the free-spirited Birdie (Evan Rachel Wood). Unfortunately, Birdie loses her job before Sam works up the nerve to ask her out, but never fear - with a little bit of Facebook stalking, Sam can not only find out where she'll be next, he can also begin molding himself into her ideal match.

Yes, it sounds more than a little creepy, but Long is charming and charismatic enough to keep us interested, and Sam's willingness to put himself into incredibly awkward situations in order to impress Birdie result in some humorous exchanges. There are also a few laugh-out-loud moments that come courtesy of Keir O'Donnell as Sam's roommate and Peter Dinklage as a flamboyantly sassy barista.

While amusing at times, A Case of You doesn't stray far from the typical romantic comedy template: boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy learns important life lesson and tries to win girl back. The chemistry between Long and Wood is believable, and watching them together is far from boring, but the film never aspires to be more than a paint-by-numbers affair. It's a decent first effort for screenwriter Long, but certainly nothing that reinvents the genre.

-- Brent Hankins,

mildly amusing

Author: SnoopyStyle
22 May 2014

Sam (Justin Long) is a weary writer who novelizes movies. He turns already made movies into novels. He is smitten with the coffee shop girl Birdie Hazel (Evan Rachel Wood). So he uses her Facebook profile to bone up on all her favorites.

This is co-written by Justin Long. He's playing his try and true awkward uncomfortable character. There are a lot of great actors. Peter Dinklage, Sam Rockwell and Brendan Fraser are all going out of their way to play wild crazy characters. It would have been better if one of them played the bigger character of the best friend. Of course they were probably just doing Justin a favor. Evan Rachel Wood is lovely but she's not the rom-com type. There are mildly amusing performances. The central concept is a good idea to write a movie around. The ending is quite cheesy. The movie needs much better writing. It makes me appreciate how hard comedy is.

The Lead Doesn't Like Himself , So How Can You Like this Film?

Author: danew13 from United States
8 February 2014

This another in a long line of films that begins with the rather absurd situation of a good looking guy or gal who can't get a date.

In this case, when a young author, with self esteem issues, finally sees someone he likes, instead of just asking his soul mate out he devises a plan to assure her they have things in common via her Facebook profile.

The guy played by the usually likable Justin Long, (will he ever top Zack and Miri?)who is so preoccupied with living the lie he created, then writing a book about it, he never really seems to be connected to his girl Evan Rachel Wood. He's too worried about the deception to really connect wih her.

She, on the other hand, plays the role of woman falling for Justin...but you can't understand why. It's almost as if she's in the wrong movie. There's no chemistry between them.

This could have been a fun film had the script, oddly wriitten by Long, had been more of a straight forward romance.

Standard Rom-Com Tropes - VERY WHITE

Author: Steady Betty
13 October 2015

Caught this because I'm a fan of Justin Long and Evan Rachel Wood. The director also has a strong reputation.

The movie isn't bad, as my title states, it's a pretty standard, and by that I mean tired, rom-com. Nothing new here. The script has a few funny lines, visually it's uninspired.

I would not consider this a true indie because it features a cast of all-stars. Here is the problem with that - They are all white. Everyone! The film takes place in one of the most diverse cities on earth and yet everyone in the movie is white. Ordinarily I don't notice the white washing in movies, but this one really stood out. I think it stood out precisely because of how many famous people play secondary roles. They are roles that have no specific ethnicity or gender, and yet this casting director and director chose only white folks. Anyone could have played those parts, and likely better. Seriously Vince Vaughn; what are you even doing in this movie? I'm not particularly a Kevin Hart fan, but he could have played the role and at least you'd have had one person of color in a major supporting role. Instead the only diversity comes from throw away roles. Not actual parts at all, just folks on camera. I really can't understand how none of the producers mentioned this in pre-production. If you have these known talents in your film, that means you have the budget to give anyone a day rate. You could have actually showcased the true diversity of this city and America. Instead it's just a tired trope, derivative movie, featuring a cast of well know white actors. Simple casting parity with the same script and story would have made the whole thing more interesting.

Cliché Romantic Comedy, but reminds of how a relationship can work.

Author: lasting1 from usa
11 October 2015

I liked this movie and first thought Justin Long and Rachel Wood were very mismatched. Changing my opinion early on, we realize that many people do not have a lot of confidence in finding love and dating in general. The couple meet in a local coffee shop were he finds her funny and engaging. He use resources on her Facebook page to have the courage to pursue her and invests all his energy in becoming all the things she likes on her Facebook interests. He's a movie writer and she loses her job in the coffee shop where they first met due to tardiness & he tracks her at a open acting forum and becomes diligent in learning many talents. Dancing, Rock climbing, camping, & guitar playing just to name a few. To know him is probably for some other movie, but he was a joy to see how dedicated he was to involve himself in all the hobbies and ambitions she has. I found it entertaining, somewhat predictable, but she also was aware of his charm no matter what his premise was. It was refreshing to see a couple develop a relationship no matter how flawed it was, and surely it was a novelty from the sexual posture all romantic comedies take on first.

Mildly amusing in parts but hack writer protagonist utilizing Facebook interests to woo the girl fails the likability test

Author: Turfseer from United States
9 July 2015

Writer/producer Justin Long's 2013 rom- com, "A Case of You," was most notably viewed at the Tribeca Film Festival and had a very limited commercial run. Some critics were very harsh in their critique of Long's comedy about Sam, a dissatisfied film novelist who falls in love with a barista he meets at a Brooklyn coffee shop. I'm not sure if I would go as far as Rodrigo Perez did in "The Playlist" when he condemns "A Case of You" as the first Facebook "Stalker Comedy," but ultimately the film's premise is a thin one.

The barista in question is one "Birdie," played by Evan Rachel Wood. After Birdie is fired from her job, Sam decides to seek her out but first decides to become familiar with all her Facebook hobbies. In that way, he reasons, she'll be drawn to him. A few of the bits are actually amusing, especially Justin's guitar lessons with a 90s music aficionado loser played by Sam Rockwell and Sam's agent and a literary consultant's critique of his new "art" novel based on his relationship with Birdie (their professional advice is that his protagonist is a narcissist which leads Sam to an epiphany that his phony way of courting Birdie is no longer working).

The problem with most of this is that Sam is too much of a loser for us to have much sympathy for him. In real life, it's the ego-infused "bad boys" that should interest us, as they cross the ethical line with impunity and often (unfortunately), get away with it. In contrast, Long and his co-writers ask us to laugh at "sad sacks" like Sam due to their ineptitude and laughing at such characters with their attendant pratfalls, do little to tickle the funny bone.

The narrative also occasionally goes too far, crossing into the realm of crude humor. Example: Roommate Eliot, who masturbates to pictures of Martha Stewart and a contemporary Carrie Fischer!

To cap things off, we learn that Birdie has realized early on what Sam has been doing but still falls for him anyway (an unlikely turn of events unless you like sentimental endings). The theme of "A Case of You," is "To thine own self be true," with Sam finally realizing that being somebody else ultimately does not lead to success in the courtship game. What he should have done was watched Bill Murray's masterful performance in "Groundhog Day," a basic primer on the correct and incorrect way of "getting the girl."