IMDb > A Case of You (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Case of You

A Case of You More at IMDbPro »

Funny But Very Cliché at Times....

Author: Clayton Davis (Claytondavis@awardscircuit.com) from New Jersey
2 May 2013

Where the romantic comedy A Case of You, starring Justin Long and Evan Rachel Wood, succeeds is ultimately where it missteps. Directed Kat Coiro assembles a terrific cast including the underutilized Sam Rockwell and extremely memorable Peter Dinklage, however, the screenplay that is co-written by Long along with brother Christian and Keir O'Donnell doesn't have a true sense of identity. Tells the story of a young man who thinks he's met the girl of his dreams and attempts to court her by all interests and statuses from her Facebook page.

In an era where social media is prevalent and dating becomes the new norm via a tweet or a poke, the story rings true in many ways. However, the misguided title and evolution of events don't exactly scream fresh and unique. Coiro manages some very funny moments and gets some decent outcomes from some of the cast particularly Evan Rachel Wood and Peter Dinklage. In its short running time, the film doesn't exactly feel smooth and polished in the way a comedy needs to be.

With all the obvious flaws, A Case of You is still very entertaining and enjoyable. Sam Rockwell is memorable in his few moments on-screen along with Vince Vaughn and Brendan Fraser. Check it out when you can.

Read More @ The Awards Circuit (http://www.awardscircuit.com)

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
3 February 2014

"You could become the man of her dreams if you wanted to." Sam (Long) is a struggling writer who has a crush on Birdie (Wood), the barista at the coffee place he frequents. He has no idea how to approach her until his friend brings up the idea of looking at her Facebook profile. Sam studies what he sees and becomes everything she is looking for. When she begins to fall for him Sam rethinks his choices. I am really becoming a Justin Long fan. In every movie he is in he is very easy to like and very funny. After the amazing Best Man Down movie I was looking forward to seeing this. While this wasn't as good as that one this was still very enjoyable. What could have been a generic cookie cutter romantic comedy was changed just enough to make it interesting and fun to watch. The best part was that it wasn't 100% predictable, more like 90% but still... The movie is more or less about a non-creepy (not totally at least) stalker who gets the girl by not being himself. It had the possibility of being totally creepy and borderline scary but the performances and the writing made it sweet and funny. I did like this quite a bit and recommend it. Overall, the sweetest and least creepy stalker movie I have ever seen. I give this a B+.

Stalking, misogynist psychopaths really shouldn't have girlfriends.

Author: allt-genast from Sweden
12 August 2014

How is it even possible to write a protagonist as unlikeable as Sam? First he decides to manipulate his dream girl Birdie (who, by the way, is his dream girl based solely on her looks since he's never talked to her but only stared creepy and longingly at her over his daily coffee) by memorizing her facebook. Then, when he seems to succeed, he flips out and shames Birdie for HIS actions, doing everything but physically abuse her. Then, for reasons unknown to anyone except for the script writers, Birdie chooses Sam anyway. And the audience is supposed to root for them.

When, in the pretend-reality that follows an ending like this, Sam continues to verbally abuse and control Birdie based on his jealous imagination and complete lack of self esteem (because he will) I can only hope she ups and leaves him.

mildly amusing

Author: SnoopyStyle
22 May 2014

Sam (Justin Long) is a weary writer who novelizes movies. He turns already made movies into novels. He is smitten with the coffee shop girl Birdie Hazel (Evan Rachel Wood). So he uses her Facebook profile to bone up on all her favorites.

This is co-written by Justin Long. He's playing his try and true awkward uncomfortable character. There are a lot of great actors. Peter Dinklage, Sam Rockwell and Brendan Fraser are all going out of their way to play wild crazy characters. It would have been better if one of them played the bigger character of the best friend. Of course they were probably just doing Justin a favor. Evan Rachel Wood is lovely but she's not the rom-com type. There are mildly amusing performances. The central concept is a good idea to write a movie around. The ending is quite cheesy. The movie needs much better writing. It makes me appreciate how hard comedy is.

Haters are gonna hate, but lovers are gonna love.

Author: kickbuttpotato from Philippines
31 March 2014

"A Case of You" is worth singling out if some great flicks like "Ruby Sparks" made you dig for more. Though, this movie is sort of reliving the dumb formula from the comparison. Okay, an honest opinion is that viewers will be fractured by the plot's predictability, but I'm buying. That doesn't prevent me from saying that the film is one of the sweet romantic comedies bolstered with energy from its young cast ensemble of bright comedians. I dunno, but call me crazy.

Sam (Justin Long) is a well-known author that suffers a block to his next book. An inspiration is what he totally needs, suffice to say. Until she meets the cute blondie coffee gal named Birdie (Evan Rachel Wood), he develops a quirky obsession. As soon as Sam learns that she was fired for frequent tardiness at work, he decided to stalk her Facebook account and decisively scan her likes, interests, and routines. Sam is the ideal manly stalker. And one by one he tries to learn what she likes to do: Play the guitar, read Darwinian, and rock climbing. This is in no doubt a rudimentary principle of we follow in order to woo our special someone, and I admire the film for having the guts to deliver it regardless of being stereotyped.

The chemistry between Long and Wood feels cheesy but endearing. Though, their kismet might be unfairly familiar but at least it's sugar-coated with their funny moment and both make it work. We also get the most of Keir O'Donnell as Sam's buddy roommate Eliot especially from his late- bloomer taboo jokes therein. And the same goes to Peter Dinklage as a gay barista and Brendan Fraser as Birdie's ex Tony. Too bad Dinklage and Fraser is alarmingly hilarious they deserve more time frame than Busy Philips and Vince Vaughn (although he's too substantial) who are both fruitless here. Also adding Sam Rockwell to the mix as the guitar lesson instructor, it gets ticklish funny.

The credits for the screenplay goes to Justin, his brother Christian, and O'Donnell themselves. Kudos to them. They keep me howling in some of their one-liners and made me attracted to their persona. However, like I said their notion for the narrative may disappoint for its jaded impression. This explains why major distributors refused to finance the film for trust issues and let IFC do it anyway. Nevertheless, this made me look forward for Justin for his next screenplay pitch and see what he could bring new to the table other than acting well in this film. He's proved to be an actor and auteur.

The film doesn't just focus on the love story per se. As we delve into Sam's motivational ease, we're starting to care for whether what he's potent feelings towards Birdie is ideal to be in his own writing or not. The message is too simple to guess, but heck we all have our Sams within us. If Sam don't end up winning Birdie's heart, at least she ends up helping him close the chapter.

"A Case of You" is essentially sweet quirky rom-com that kept me howling with hilarity straight up. If you're a fan of Ruby Sparks, this touching gem is worth singling out.

The Lead Doesn't Like Himself , So How Can You Like this Film?

Author: danew13 from United States
8 February 2014

This another in a long line of films that begins with the rather absurd situation of a good looking guy or gal who can't get a date.

In this case, when a young author, with self esteem issues, finally sees someone he likes, instead of just asking his soul mate out he devises a plan to assure her they have things in common via her Facebook profile.

The guy played by the usually likable Justin Long, (will he ever top Zack and Miri?)who is so preoccupied with living the lie he created, then writing a book about it, he never really seems to be connected to his girl Evan Rachel Wood. He's too worried about the deception to really connect wih her.

She, on the other hand, plays the role of woman falling for Justin...but you can't understand why. It's almost as if she's in the wrong movie. There's no chemistry between them.

This could have been a fun film had the script, oddly wriitten by Long, had been more of a straight forward romance.

Justin Long and Evan Rachel Wood play it safe.

Author: Brent Hankins from www.nerdrep.com
14 November 2013

In the age of social media, dating has become infinitely more complicated, and the ability to pore over your loved one's Facebook profile or Twitter feed to find those little idiosyncracies that make them unique is something we've probably all experienced. But what happens when you start taking it a bit too far?

Written by Justin Long (who also stars), A Case of You follows struggling writer Sam, whose daily trips to a local coffee shop have left him infatuated with the free-spirited Birdie (Evan Rachel Wood). Unfortunately, Birdie loses her job before Sam works up the nerve to ask her out, but never fear - with a little bit of Facebook stalking, Sam can not only find out where she'll be next, he can also begin molding himself into her ideal match.

Yes, it sounds more than a little creepy, but Long is charming and charismatic enough to keep us interested, and Sam's willingness to put himself into incredibly awkward situations in order to impress Birdie result in some humorous exchanges. There are also a few laugh-out-loud moments that come courtesy of Keir O'Donnell as Sam's roommate and Peter Dinklage as a flamboyantly sassy barista.

While amusing at times, A Case of You doesn't stray far from the typical romantic comedy template: boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy learns important life lesson and tries to win girl back. The chemistry between Long and Wood is believable, and watching them together is far from boring, but the film never aspires to be more than a paint-by-numbers affair. It's a decent first effort for screenwriter Long, but certainly nothing that reinvents the genre.

-- Brent Hankins, www.nerdrep.com

It's not stalking, it's research

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
14 December 2014

"Love isn't all sunsets and roses. Sometimes it's good old-fashioned surveillance." ― Jarod Kintz

Written by and starring Justin Long, "A Case of You" revolves around Sam, a young writer who uses the Facebook profile of a young woman (Evan Rachel Wood) to assist in romance.

"Case" adheres to a generic "boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl" formula. Elsewhere its portrayals of a "writer" are entirely fantastical, and Evan Rachel Wood gets saddled with a "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" role, a phrase coined by critic Nathan Rabin. Despite its flaws, though, "A Case of You" has some valid things to say about personal acceptance. The film contains mildly amusing cameos by Sam Rockwell, Vince Vaughn and Brendan Fraser.

7.5/10 – Worth one viewing.

Pleasant inoffensive charming

Author: phd_travel from United States
1 June 2014

This is a highly possible scenario, a man makes himself attractive to the object of his affection by making himself out to be interested in all her facebook likes. This Justin Long written movie is quite charming indie movie that isn't that great but is worth one watch.

It's funny in some parts, touching in some parts and a bit strained in some parts.

Even though Evan Rachel Wood is kind of out of someone who looks like Justin Long's league, she gives a convincing performance as being in love with him.

The ending avoids clichés and is quite charming.

Worth one watch

A case of what I would do with Peter Dinklage and Sam Rockwell

Author: Peter Black
29 March 2014

Reading the review of this film, you believe it is going to be the typical 'guy likes girl, so guy tries to trick girl into liking him, which causes all kinds of drama' movie.

You wouldn't be wrong, but that is not quite what 'A Case of you' is about. This movie, written by Christopher and Justin Long; Kier O'Donnell, is hard to place critically.

It's not the type of movie you would pin on three men to put together. It's neither a 'romance' in the traditional sense; though it is funny, it would be hard to call it a comedy, as the obvious intent isn't purely to make you laugh.

The story is paced out well, and Justin Long plays the underdog character believably in every movie (he takes on that position); he is a great comedic actor: verbally and physically. But! The description of this movie is misleading.

Sam (Justin Long) has a crush on Birdie (Evan Rachel Wood) a barista at his coffee shop. He wants to change his life, he is longing for a real relationship and his job: a hack writer who turns popular movies into books, is eating his soul.

He is shy, trapped, and doesn't know how to open himself up and take the risk of being judged and judged as 'not good enough'.

When Birdie gets fired, he realizes that he missed his chance and after finding her full name, begins to study her online, liking what she likes, in hopes of showing her how great a match they could be.

The story is about what happens after that point, the effort people put into making others like them instead of just being themselves. Maybe that is, simply, the point and message of this movie.

I've spent a while thinking about this movie and remembered the Joni Mitchell song 'A case of you' and thought that might be the answer. It could be, as that song is about love, but I am not sure.

My cynical side wants to make 'assumptions' but the truth is, Justin and Christopher and Kiev produced this movie (with others) and it is obvious it was important to them.

The acting was great, the flow of the movie never became too drawn out. It was directed in a purist way, which should always be the goal: the directing shouldn't steal from the acting and dialogue.

It was a little Cliché at times, but dang boys and girls, you really can't make a romance comedy, boy meets girl type of movie without being Cliché. Love is Cliché, that's really the only we know how to describe it without getting all philosophic and busting out quotes from the Symposium, talking' 'bout double-humans with weird bodies getting split up by the gods. Shout out to Aristophones.

The end was a little anti-climatic, but quite realistic to me. When you have a movie with a good script, acting, directing, you really can't complain.

My only problem was, in 'A case of you' they had Peter Dinklage and Sam Rockwell in the mix, two alpha level actors who could almost make a movie with three or four scenes. My favorite parts of this flick were their appearances, but if I had the script, they would have been heavily featured as counter thoughts to the current feelings of Sam and Birdie.

With that said, I enjoyed this movie and if I had watched it with a girl, I probably would have liked it more, because it would have stirred up some loving emotions.