IMDb > Another Me (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Another Me More at IMDbPro »

Surprised At The Bad Reviews

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
3 January 2015

OK, it's not the greatest movie in the world, but its far from the worst and it's not the dull, lame movie some reviewers would have you think. I found it to be an above average flick with a surprise ending.

Plot In A Paragraph: Fey (Sophie Turner) finds her perfect life is turned upside down when he Dad is diagnosed as fatally ill, worse is to follow when she starts being stalked by a mysterious doppelganger who has her eyes set on assuming her identity.

This was the first time I've seen Turner in anything aside from Game Of Thrones and she does a good job as she pretty much carries this movie on her own, despite the cast including Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Rhys Ifans. Meyers isn't given as much to do as one would hope, and Ifans does what Ifans does, Geraldine Chaplin does well in her small role as an elderly neighbour.

British/Spanish Thriller in which a teenager is being stalked by a mysterious doppelganger who has her eyes set on assuming her identity

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
17 February 2015

This is an intrigue/suspense film with very good cast , being well starred by Sophie Turner along with Rhys Ifans as daddy , Claire Forlani as mom , Jonathan Rhys Meyers as teacher , Gregg Sulkin as boyfriend , all have supporting roles in director Isabel Coixet's thriller . It deals with a normal adolescent girl called Fay (Sophie Turner as the teenager who haunted herself and the movie took so long to be made that when Sophie was cast the first season of Game of thrones (2011) hadn't aired) finds her perfect life upended when she's pursued by a weird double . Neighbors (Geraldine Chaplin) spot this other girl in the stairwell — even though Fay only takes the elevator . While Fay is at school emerges her alter-ego and turns her life into a nightmare until the teen meets with her into a tunnel and moves toward a fateful encounter . Teachers (Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Leonor Watling) and fellow students (Ivana Baquero , Gregg Sulkin , Charlotte Vega) say they interacted with her on the day Fay stays home sick . Could the look-alike be Fay's mean-girl rival who is her understudy in the school play? Or someone more sinister? It's enough to make someone go a little crazy — prompting a moment where Fay chops off her long locks just so people can tell the two of them apart .

A gripping psychological/supernatural thriller co-produced between Spain and England ; dealing with a teenage girl whose once seemingly perfect life is upended when her father becomes ill and a mysterious double begins inserting itself in her life and she then starts to fear she's being followed by someone who shares her face . Appeals primarily to those fascinated by Hitchcock intrigue along with ¨Twilight Zone¨ series where mystery matters most . Nice acting by Sophie Turner , this was Turner's first movie after having performed in the television series ¨Game of Thrones¨ . Turner gives perhaps his best screen performance in this interesting chiller-thriller about a teen who finds that her life is being taken over by her ¨double¨ . This her first film, Another Me, based on the book of the same name by Catherine Macphail and also written by Coixet , the film was produced by Fip, Rainy Day Films and Tornasol Films . It premiered in competition at last November's Rome International Film Festival and will be released by Fox in the Us, Spain, Germany and other select international territories . It features the actress in multiple roles, as a teenage girl named Fay who feels like she's being stalked by someone who looks just like her, and who is slowly taking over her life . The talented supporting cast consists of Jonathan Rhys Meyers ('The Tudors'), Claire Forlani (Meet Joe Black) , Rhys Ifans ('The Amazing Spider-Man') and Gregg Sulkin (Avalon High) , Ivana Baquero (Pan's labyrinth) and Leonor Watling (The Oxford murders) . Geraldine Chaplin (Zhivago) steals the supporting honours from a gallery of enjoyable minor roles as a gossip neighbour old woman . And Isabel Coixet revealed in an interview that Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was extremely difficult to work with , she argued that he had no discipline and that he run out Coixet's patience, making work really hard for everyone on set . Colorful though dark cinematography filmed by Jean Claude Larrieau , Coixet's usual . Being shot on location in Cardiff, South Glamorgan, Wales, UK and studios from Parc Audiovisual de Catalunya Studios, Terrassa, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain . Thrilling as well as suspenseful musical score by Michael Price , including a wonderful song titled ¨You haunt me¨by Richard Hawley .

The motion picture was professional though slowly directed by Isabel Coixet . Here director Coixet mixes dull stretches with some palm-sweeping suspense/thriller . Following this year's "Enemy" and "The Double" comes "Elegy" filmmaker Isabel Coixet's "Another Me." Coixet is an acclaimed Spanish filmmaker who has previously found international success with Elegy and The Secret Life of Words and she's the camera operator of her movies . Her filmography includes other feature films such as 'Cosas Que Nunca Dije' (Things I Never Told You) (1995), Elegy (2008), 'Mapa De Sonidos De Tokio' (Map of the Sounds of Tokyo) (2009), and the two latest 'Ayer No Termina Nunca' (Yesterday Never Ends) (2014) and 'Learning to Drive' (2013) besides documentary films, shorts and commercials . And recent premiere in Berlin Festival of 'Nobody Wants the Night' (2015) starred by Juliette Binoche .

Boring and Predictable

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10 September 2015

The relationship of the teenager Fay Delussey (Sophie Turner) with her family is deeply affected when her beloved father Don (Rhys Ifans) has multiple sclerosis and her mother Ann (Claire Forlani) starts a love affair. Her teacher John (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) invites Fay to perform the important role of Lady Macbeth in a school play and her schoolmate Monica Meldrum (Charlotte Vega) is jealous of her with the choice. Soon strange events happen to Fay and she believes that Monica is the responsible for the acts. But her father discloses a family secret about his ghost daughter.

"Another Me" is a slow-paced, boring and predictable ghost story. This is not the usual genre of the great director Isabel Coixet from "My Life Without Me", "The Secret Life of Words" and "Elegy". Despite the great cast, director and cinematography, the flawed plot does not help the performances. Why Fay's doppelganger decides to haunt her after so many years? How her father could know that Fay should not look at her face? Why Fay insisted to meet her doppelganger after her father's advice? The conclusion is totally predictable. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Meu Outro Eu" ("My other Me")

Pity

Author: fredschepers from uk
9 January 2016

A good story that went horribly wrong. The concept is interesting with good actors. Unfortunately the production is a let down. The scenes are too long to stay focused. Its clearly a drama and as a drama it does very well. I do not get the thrill bit in it. And was there for mislead when it comes to genres.

For me ghost stories come in on a scale from 1 to 10: 1 for romantic and 10 for scary. As far as I am concerned it was a 2 based on some "ghostly" scenes.

I still rate the film overall a 4, only because the actors are amazing.

If you like a ghostly story with a somehow sad end, its probably a must see. If your looking for a Ghost story with a capital G starting on the scale as a number 6, Try to find another one :)

Another Me

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
13 July 2015

Another Me is quite a competent film with an interesting screenplay, good atmosphere and solid performances. What I liked the most from this film is the ambiguity displayed by the screenplay during the first half, when we are not sure whether something supernatural is happening, or if it's just the main character's nerves and concern for her father's situation, besides of being stressed due to the rehearsals of a play. The film brings us clues which make any alternative possible: from the supernatural point of view, there are mysterious shadows with nothing projecting them; and from the mundane point of view, there is a rival student with long red hair, like the main character, something which reinforces the theory of a joke. The screenplay keeps being interesting during the second half, but it includes some unnecessary moments, such as the main character's romance with a gallant and the domestic tension provoked by her father's declining condition. However, the film recovers from those small missteps during the ending, adding suspense, growing suspicions and surprising revelations which enrich the mystery of the ghost double. Another Me adopts some tricks and concepts from the horror genre, but I would define it as a psychological thriller with a well achieved atmosphere, competent performances (highlighting Rhys Ifans', offering a weird serious work, very different to the lunatics he usually plays) and some subtle surprises which separate this film from other juvenile thrillers, revealing a more mature and artistic sensibility, which is exactly what we can expect considering director and screenwriter Isabel Coixet's previous work. In conclusion, I wouldn't consider it a great movie, but I liked Another Me pretty much, and I can recommend it. There are better films about "doppelgangers" (such as Enemy); and better tales about teenage neurosis out of control (such as Ginger Snaps). But none of them offers Shakespearean interludes which employ Macbeth as a mirror of the juvenile drama; that's where we can notice Coixet's ambition to transcend genres and tell universal stories based on the human experience.

Waste of talent

Author: relax1977 from South Africa
23 November 2014

This movie seemed like it would be great. Concept seemed interesting and I love pretty much every actor in this movie so how bad could it be? Well, turns out it can be pretty terrible.

Firstly it moves so slow. Every scene seems to drag on forever. The movie feels 3 times longer than the actual run time. It's dreary. It's uninteresting. It's hard to care about the fate of any character.

Basically if you love a good scary movie or if you love any of the actors in this movie, do yourself a favour and go watch something else. This movie didn't deserve the talent it wasted, don't let it waste your time as well.

The Looking Glass Self.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
6 December 2015

The director, Isabel Coixet, has lent the images a peculiar texture. Half the film seems to involve panes of glass, the shiny walls of elevators, or mirrors of one sort or another. If possible they're fogged up or their transparency is lessened by patches of raindrops. Like the heroine, Sophie Turner, you're sometimes not sure of what you're seeing. But, thank God, no directorial razzle dazzle. The camera moves only when it should and there are few whiz-bangs on the sound track.

Turner is a teen-ager in a British school. Her taciturn father is bound to a wheelchair. Her mother, she discovers, is having an affair with one of the school's teachers.

The central theme is that Turner feels a Doppelgänger is following her about, sometimes taking her place at home or elsewhere. You have to love the idea of the double, someone who looks enough like you to confuse others. It goes back to Edgar Allan Poe and comes down to us through various channels. Any theme that is so popular can't be all bad.

I once had a call from someone with exactly my name who lived near me in Philadelphia, complaining that he was getting midnight phone calls from my friends and asking me to tell them to stop it. I felt compelled to ask the guy out for dinner and he was my age, resembled me in his somatotype, and, indeed, was "Robert John Maxwell, Ph.D.," just as the midnight callers had asked, only he was a chemist not an anthropologist. I couldn't take my eyes off the guy at the restaurant. If he lifted a forkful of food, I followed it. Eerie, I'll tell you.

Well -- I see I went slightly off the track there, but if I had a Doppelgänger like Poe's "William Wilson," he'd have reined me in pronto.

The treatment of the story seems kind of sluggish at times. And I don't think it's all that well written. Sometimes it seemed as if the writers didn't know exactly where they wanted the story to go. Yes, Sophie Turner could be imagining things. As a counselor tells her, she has a crippled father, and "sometimes a trauma induces another trauma," whatever that means. But then again, others see this double too at times. So Turner can't be imagining her experiences. Then her mother tells her that she'd had an identical twin who died and was buried. Where the hell did that come, and why? We find out at the end, but the end makes no sense. It's as if the writers had thrown up their hands and simply given up.

That's too bad because, as I say, it's a juicy and fruitful theme. Alfred Hitchcock did a marvelous job with it on one of this television programs, "The Case of Mister Pelham." There was no more logic to it than in this film but the ending was satisfying because it was a reasonable culmination of everything that had happened before. Sadly, that sense of completion is missing here.

It was sincerely that bad

Author: GomezAddams666 from the great movie beyond
10 September 2015

I get the concept of Doppelgangers, like 1997's Pafekuto Buru (Perfect Blue), and it's sort of inspired American Adaptation Black Swan.

I get the concept of missing siblings as in like The Tale Of Two Sisters, Uninvited, The Unborn.

And this movie tried (and failed amazingly) to use these concepts to sell a horror-like thriller, but the result was a very predictable, horrible, boring movie.

It's not like these concepts were badly executed is that the movie is painfully draggy, like every scene seems to last 2 hrs longer than it actually does. A bit of a more character developing, a more emotionally deep relationship of Faye and her boyfriend, a deeper rivalry with her competitor... even a flying dog for god's sakes... ANYTHING to turn this slow-slow paced movie into something not boring as in "what the hell was I thinking watching this?" boring.

A great cast, great performances (with the little they were given), great photography, and a mediocre underdeveloped ghost story that wouldn't frighten or even surprise a kitten.

Avoid at all cost.

Good

Author: haidee-hoyos
10 November 2014

Overall, this film was OK but not as good as the film image shows it to be. To be honest the film's ending was amazing however it was an extremely long build up to the conclusion which by the way, was shocking. Great actress but she has so much more potential and this film didn't show it; she has been mainly known for Game of Thrones. I would only recommend this film to people who wouldn't mind waiting for a twist towards the end of the film and to be patient with this film. Great story though but it was to long and needed a bit more action.

It didn't show much of Faye's back-story and this is basically the vital part to the film as you and even I didn't understand until the end where it described everything that had happened.

Honestly, it could have been a lot better and had a bit more of a rhythm and story to it.

Vastly under-appreciated and misunderstood

Author: iced_heart7 from Bulgaria
6 February 2016

"Another Me" centers on the teenager Fay (Sophie Turner), whose life gradually spirals out of control, as she becomes convinced that a menacing doppelganger is following her and threatening to ruin her world and take her place. We are introduced to Fay at a crucial event in her life - her dad being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis - and it is exactly this event that seems to unlock the strange and eerie episodes which will haunt Sophie's character onward. In this regard, "Another Me", is first and foremost a psychological thriller with underlying dramatic nuances and not a supernatural horror movie in the most strict sense of the word, although it definitely contains some quite chilling scenes, especially the sequences that take place in a creepy underpass, which were excellently shot and realized, capitalizing fully on the perfect visual balance of light and darkness. Coixet's "partner in crime" - cinematographer Jean-Claude Larrieu did a tremendous job as usual, so that these scenes prove very impressive and memorable.

In my mind, the closest comparison to "Another Me" is the US-version of "Dark Water"(2005) - although the movies' stories are different, they occupy the same genre-niche of psychological horror, the emotions that both of these films invoke and the impressions they imprint on the viewer's mind are of the same art, and both of them were very similarly (and quite undeservedly if i might add) bashed by almost all critics and horror-fans alike. The most recent successful example in this genre would be "The Babadook" and I'm sure many people will vigorously object to even putting both of these films in the same sentence on the basis of "The Babadook" being already established as an unimaginably clever and deeply philosophical work of art among horror movies, whereas "Another Me" is supposedly not nearly that complex or "artsy". Well, I beg to differ. Coixet's film is every bit as thought-provoking and absorbing, if not more, as the Australian horror-hit, but contrary to what that film did, it does not revel in forced and over-the-top acting to get its' point across. "Another Me" is quite content in painting a seemingly calmer, but ultimately more disturbing darkness - that of the inner world of everyday people set on a collision course with inevitable tragedy, people who have lost their inner peace, but are seeking to claim it back - each in their own way. The central character Fay is a fairly normal teenager, who suffers the echoes and after-effects of her parents' collapsing marriage, brought on by her dad's looming sickness and the subsequent confusion and fear, as she realizes that a mysterious unexplained supernatural presence is following her around and often impersonating her, as if bent on claiming her life. She seeks escape in the arts - photography, taking part in a school staging of Macbeth, basically a very bright kid. Fay's dad (Rhys Ifans) is plagued by the consuming weight of guilt for a desperate decision he took in the past, in addition to the decimating effects of his excruciating condition on his physical and mental strength and his family life. There is a tangible rift between him and his wife Ann (Claire Forlani) in the days following the harrowing diagnose and the only solace he finds is in conversing with his daughter, always interested in her daily routine, in her troubles and worries. Indeed, Fay seems to be closer to her dad, especially after she finds out her mom's secret. Ann, unable to cope with the pressure and burden of having to take care of her sick husband and watch him slowly fall apart, seeks relief outside the family nest. And while her actions are of course most disagreeable, this movie doesn't aim to trample on its' characters and bluntly criticize them, it merely shows their flaws and allows you to at least partially understand them, if not condone them. This is most obvious in the scene where Fay finally confronts her mom (after she has known for quite a while) about her extramarital affair. Virtually in every other film I have seen, this type of scene is accompanied by insulting behavior, a lot of screaming and bickering is involved, subsequent sobbing, etc. In "Another Me" this scene is done in a more restrained way - Fay is clearly angry at her mom's actions, but doesn't sound disrespectful when she confronts her, in fact the dialogue between the two of them is handled in such a sense, that it seems like two adult people discussing their problems, rather than just a mother and her teenage daughter dwelling in accusations and insults.

There are of course downsides to the film and although I didn't feel they were harming the overall impression, I will nevertheless discuss. Some people mentioned the romantic relationship between Fay and her classmate Drew, in terms of it not being fully developed and in some ways distracting from/conflicting with the overall story and the tone of the film. There is some truth to that - it's there just to provide a contrast to the oppressive events depicted in the first 60 minutes and to offer its' central character her own sense of escape from reality. It could have been handled much better though, by revealing more of the reasons why Drew and Fay connect so easily, what are the special things they find and appreciate in each other. Restricted in a 86-minute format, the film doesn't have too much time to focus on that though or to show more of Drew's character. It seems decided on immersing the viewer in its' dreary atmosphere and delivering a sense of dread and unease. And deliver it does. Scene by scene the shadows move closer on its' central character and on us as viewers, right until the twist-ending, which while not being particularly original or hard to foresee, is a truly competent conclusion and it works both in the straight supernatural sense, as well as in the more metaphorical sense of interpretation.