IMDb > The Crying Dead (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Crying Dead

The Crying Dead More at IMDbPro »

Great film for a "found footage" movie

Author: brent-tulley from United States
30 December 2011

I was able to attend a Los Angeles screening of this film and was pleasantly surprised.

I find these style films entertaining but at the same time, never expect too much from them. Usually they're comprised of bad acting with some cool effects. Still entertaining but poor acting and story lines.

This one however had the best of both worlds. The acting was actually very good, it was a cool concept, and the gags were very creepy. The down time was palpable because of the actors involved.

I'm one of the few who really enjoy these kind of films and I think this another great addition to the genre.

If you want huge budget, A-List actors and crazy camera shots, this film isn't for you. But, if you want an entertaining found footage movie, here you go.

Potential Unrealized

Author: jmbwithcats from United States
17 September 2013

There are some moments near the end that could have been really scary, but they don't pull them off well which is really too bad because they set them up well and fail to follow through. The movie isn't terrible, but hugely disappointing.

Example: When the guy and the girl get cut off at the top of the stairs, and she turns around with the camera, they could have made that scene really terrifying, but instead opt to have it almost all unseen, and it lacks punch, like the rest of the scares, there's no punch, so I felt let down by the build up.

I think if they could have had a bit more intelligent twists in the story, it could have been real good, instead it's a very poor, mediocre film.

The sound effects sounded ripped off from World of Warcraft too. Such as when you die in WOW, I swear they used that for this movie.

Ultimately it could have been great, but instead I can't recommend it. Pretty lazy effort.

Not worth the wait at all!!!!

Author: ham_diaz from United States
11 September 2013

I just had to review this movie. I was one of those foot footage, stuck in an old haunted hospital, fans who has been waiting forever to see this. I waited while grave encounters comes and goes. Then grave encounters 2, then several movies just like GE, even one directed by Oliver Stones son. In my opinion GE is and probably always will be #1 on the list.

Now back to back to this mess of a movie. The editing is bad, the acting for the most part is bad and the story is very rushed and doesn't allow you to connect with anyone. Most of these movies will either start out slow others start out with a bang but in most cases will move in some kind of direction and allow you to somewhat connect with an actor or actress. This one however is all over the place. OK, we are led to believe they are shooting a pilot or sample for a TV series, but it just doesn't seem realistic. It just comes across and a bunch of kids with too much time on their hands wondering around an abandoned building with camcorders. To top that off it may have a jump or 2 but overall its not very scary at all. The CG was amateurish and unnecessary and the main "ghosts" of the movie were really not scary.

All in all 2 thumbs down and for the amount of time they had to re-do it they could have done a lot better!

SAD SO SAD!

the dead won't be the only ones crying after this movie

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
4 September 2013

When the trailer came out about two years ago, A lot people were compared it to Grave Encounter.

I was not big fan of Graven Encounter but that movie is a masterpieces to compared to The Crying dead (2011)

The dead won't be the only ones crying after this movie, as you be crying for wasting time on this rubbish.

The open scenes was really weired and the only decent part of the movie, Before title come up, we see fast forward scene from later in the movie.

Then get a bunch of people auditioning for new Ghost hunting show.

65% of nothing happing in this movie, boring plot very unlikeable people, who could not act, or actors pretending to be as Bad actors as they could .

There was not one second of a eerie feeling in this movie even WHEN the ghost showed up, effect were really badly done.

Then if the ghost don't show up, these people end up getting blown or drag away, that was so many time in less then a few minutes is gets tedious and boring, dose not scarce anyone.

2 out of 10

Boring

Author: befoulmetalroosa from United States
9 April 2016

Run of the mill haunted asylum found footage film. Very little creativity or imagination to this one. A little twist in that the 'reality' program they were trying to create relied heavily on tricks and gimmicks for the 'hauntings', until the ghosts got angry. Makes a statement for the validity of 'reality ghost hunter' programs. Meh. Could have been handled better; perhaps with an eye toward comedy. The lead actor 'expert' was annoying and condescending. None of the females were worth anything, and the cameramen were throwaways. The end credits music was pretty good. I think I found a new band to check out. About the only thing I would recommend for the film.

A Nice Scare

Author: geraldyelverton from United States
25 January 2016

I recently had the pleasure of screening the found-footage horror film The Crying Dead. When the idea of yet another found-footage horror film comes across there is always a little doubt in whether or not the viewing will be worth the time allotted. Most in the genre are a waist of time and very paint by the numbers.

To my surprise The Crying Dead was the exception. Though much of the plot is predictable the execution is grand. With good writing and directing the story easily flows from one event to the other. As a viewer I was never bored nor restless.

The acting is above average and the actors themselves succeed in portraying believable characters.

The scares are plentiful which makes for a great horror film.

I recommend anyone into good horror movies to give this one a try.

My Two Cents

Author: HorrorInside from United States
28 July 2015

So I started watching this for the first time this morning. I have to just say right off the bat, anyone who is familiar with the former Linda Vista hospital in Los Angeles then you would immediately recognize the shots outside of the hospital, it's a very iconic building. The same year this movie came out is when AMCAL Multi-Housing Inc. bought the building and renovated it into apartments. That is one of a few reasons why that scene was filmed out back of the hospital, since in this movie the hospital goes by a different name. I kinda giggled when Chris' character said it was "in a remote region of the northern California wilderness".

Yeah The Crying Dead was OK, but I wish someone would really kill (no pun intended) it with a ghost investigation movie.

Kinda scary but not scary enough

Author: venusboys3 from United States
26 December 2013

These found footage, first person spookhouse movies generally work on me if they're done halfway well. I loved The Blair Witch Project and Grave Encounters really had me going (despite some overtly goofy CGI effects). The Crying Dead also had me most of the way there but then lost me when the spooks came out. IMO there's two big problems that deflate the scares. One is the ghosts. They just aren't that scary. Three little girls, in Halloween facepaint, double-exposed as they traipse about in the dark hallways. Kinda spooky but not very. Despite some early implications that these aren't normal kids they don't behave very strangely or look very menacing (nothing like the ghouls in the poster image). I really think they needed an additional layer of bizarre to them... a hint at something... other. The second problem, for me, was the editing... or pacing of the movie. The movie starts off with a scene that sets up the threat, but it's on the verge of laughable because it's just so overt so early on. There are also scenes from later in the movie that are repeated early on during the slow stuff... I think to assure impatient viewers that there is some action coming. This wouldn't bother me as much in a regular film but it doesn't fit the found footage conceit here... particularly since those scenes are duplicates of later footage. In a way the film plays its hand in these early scenes and the rest is just going through the motions. Sadly, the nature of the haunting just isn't very imaginative... nothing beyond ghostly little girls with 'powerz'. Once they show up it's just rinse and repeat... they don't get any weirder or scarier than when we first saw them, early on. They really needed something more.

Despite those two points I still kinda enjoyed the movie. It did have me on edge at times, just by the nature of how it was filmed... the suspense is good even if the payoff is lame. The actors did a great job with what little they were given... all my gripes are with the writing/editing.

One other thing I'll mention... the music in the closing credits is the same sort of generic heavy metal that a hundred other horror movies toss in. I think it would have left the audience with a bit more of a after-scare if something more creepy and subtle had been used... something that carried on the mood of the film rather than blaringly contradicting it.

Better than I expected

Author: kellycorrin
31 October 2013

I watched this with a bunch of friends expecting to laugh at a cheesy movie, but it was actually pretty good!It started off questionable but once it got rolling it was more believable.We got into the story and characters. The acting was good and the improved dialog kept it from being corny. The most charming actors were the old man, Becka Adams who played the producer, and the super obsessed lead male character. It feels like you are there with these people messing around in an old abandoned hospital. I liked that we see them faking paranormal activity before anything really starts. That was a fun touch. Honestly, enjoyed it as much as any bigger budget films of the same genre. Definitely fun to watch with friends on Halloween.

Not to bad

Author: sessny jelk from United States
12 September 2013

Ordered this on itunes and have to admit I wasn't expecting much.

I'm a sucker for horror movies and saw the poster which is pretty eerie.

Opening scene is black and white. Kinda of confusing but very intense.

It does start off a little slow but at least the downtime is filled with good acting.

Surprising enough I actually really liked a few of the characters.

The old man or caretaker is awesome. He's by far my favorite.

A couple of the others are really great too.

By the time things do start happening it does pick up.

The ghosts look pretty good and the fx are really cool.

There won't be another Blair Witch or PA. But this is just another one to add to the worthwhile movies shot like this.

Glad I watched it.