IMDb > The Glass Man (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Glass Man More at IMDbPro »

A great story and outstanding performances by Nyman and Cosmo

Author: ronmanager from London, UK
29 August 2011

As this film has only had one screening so far at The Empire Leicester Square as part of Frightfest 2011, I consider myself one of the lucky few who has seen it.

Andy Nyman plays Martin, a proud but failing hamster of a man, who's gone from well paid middle class Exec to suddenly but secretly unemployed, debt ridden failure. His trophy wife (Neve Campbell), friends and ex colleagues are unaware of the hole that he is. Nyman acts this so convincingly that you found yourself literally cringing as he struggles to maintain his dignity while all around him are stripping him of it.

The film could have been slightly predictable from this opening scenario but it was not. I can't add much further without risk of edging into spoiler territory but can add that there are moments of comedy within the tension that are a welcome relief.

The ending is great and we found ourselves talking about it afterwards in terms of minor events that happened early in the film that became relevant as the film concluded. It is filmed with a very real-life feel to it which makes all the more disturbing.

Best film I've seen at the cinema in ages.

The whole Cosmo show

Author: kosmasp
23 January 2012

James Cosmo is phenomenal in this. He really makes this movie worthwhile. And while Nyman is the leading man on paper (and don't get me wrong he's good too), Cosmos performance makes this movie great. I won't get into the story, but I can tell you that it is complex. Then again, this might make you want to watch it another time, to get everything that is implied and understand the whole thing.

The great thing about the characters is that even though you may think it doesn't make sense, in the end it does. On the other hand, you could also say that it is lazy how it all got stitched together. But that would be unfair to the movie. A nice little thriller that tries and succeeds.

Clever

Author: AnonymousCanada from Canada
27 May 2014

I really loved this movie. It totally wasn't what I was expecting. Halfway through I was genuinely shocked and surprised at the twist. Usually I see the setup coming, but in this case I really didn't, which was refreshing. In fact, after that I had to rethink the whole beginning of the movie. How much of it was real, and what parts were imagined through his illness? Stunning performances on the part of Andy Nyman and James Cosmo. Some great camera work with interesting angles and beautiful shots, even in the most chilling parts. A sympathetic and interesting portrayal of a very realistic and frightening descent into mental illness.