IMDb > FDR: American Badass! (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

FDR: American Badass! More at IMDbPro »

Genius movie...

Author: babyfro from United States
4 August 2012

I saw a screening of this in Portland and it is seriously one of the funniest films ever made. It reminded me of Airplane or Naked Gun. Partly because Barry Bostwick turns in a Leslie Nielson-esque performance, and more importantly, you believe him in the role of FDR. Don't get me wrong the dialogue is out of control and everything is played over the top, including the effects and werewolf costumes, but the cast seems to revel in it and act it out as if the words were Shakespeare. The surrounding cast around Bostwick really rose to level that he was playing his character, especially Ray Wise, Bruce McGill, and Ross Patterson. The filmmakers manage to pull off the low budget aspect and use it to bolster the film, so much so, that it seems like it was specifically written for that type of vibe. The film itself is extremely crass and involves blatant racism, but no one is safe from it. I for one LOVED this film and think it has the potential to be an instant cult classic, but I'm sure some people will be offended.

Completely ridiculous but great fun

Author: turkmick from Ireland
28 September 2012

From the outset this film looks cheap and you might consider not bothering to watch it based on that but if you stick with it the great cast suck you into it's unbelievably ridiculous world. Barry Bostwick's performance Carry's the film. There's a lot of modern street talk that he manages to pull off, even though some of it is borderline to silly but at the same time he turns in some great speeches that would be worthy of a far more serious film.

There's not much point in explaining the film, it's far to daft to attempt an explanation but it works, that's mostly down to the cast, the production, direction is excellent too, given the low budget nature of the film they made the most of what they had.

From Poolboy to President...

Author: Fuad_Ramses_IV from Tromaville
10 October 2012

My brother told me of a movie once about a Vietnam vet turned poolboy who has to take on a rival Mexican gang of pool-cleaners, and I thought, "genius". Quite frankly, it was. From the same team that brought you "Poolboy: Drowning Out the Fury", comes an equally outrageous concept of a story. Franklin Delano Roosevelt gets polio from a werewolf attack and becomes determined to stop the Nazi werewolves and end the second world war for good.

FDR, played by a hysterical Barry Bostwick, gets polio from a werewolf. First off, the introduction of werewolves automatically tells you this movie will be very profound and dramatic. From a biographically standpoint, the events in the movie are very true to source. The story is a highly accurate telling of his rise to power, presidency, and war politics, but the real impressive aspect of this film is its attention to detail. The characters can seamlessly spout off lines of cocky socky comic genius and exploit themselves endlessly until the movie really just *ends* abruptly, with a climax so unforgettable, you wont be able to remember what happens in it.

The humor is crass, politically incorrect, and inversely subversive, so fans of bad movies should definitely hear it hitting the right notes. The narrative flows awkwardly steady, and the payoff is unimaginable, but what helps this movie entirely is the production design. John Waters once said his favorite movie idea "is to do a movie where everything's fake; the trees, the grass, even the sun", and that always described how I felt my life would be like if I were in a TV show from the heyday of America. It just seems funny to me, so in comes a movie that looks like it was shot entirely in a studio, and everything from the story to the characters to the dialogue and effects, just seems so consumingly fake, that it's incredible. Nothing in this movie can be taken seriously, and they just flat-out don't care. They had a funny idea and ran with it, exploiting FD Roosevelt for all his worth, and how he's a true American hero, regardless of anything he's ever done in "real life".

Now this may not be the "best" movie in the world, but by all means, it *is*, and to have a movie where FDR freestyles, men whore out their wives, black people play slaves, Nazi werewolves gossip anti- climactically, Japan continually gets made fun of, and Kevin Sorbo manifests as a cannabinoidally-induced Abraham Lincoln adviser... then you really can't go wrong with a movie that took an under-appreciated ex-president and turns him into a new-found American B.A.

The man. They myth. The Delano'saurus. Franklin Delano Roosevelt. And his jiggly polio legs that look like, and *are*, a complete joke. After all, isn't that what America is?

FDR - THE American Badass, werewolf huntin' war machine!

Author: nickorris67 from United States
16 July 2012

Alright so I saw this movie and it was absolutely ridiculous! As in crayz hilarious! FDR was sooooo nuts in this movie it was hilarious, just imagine Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, but Scary Movie style. FDR the Werewolf Hunter! Not to mention that had these great cut scenes with Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito as Werewolves! FDR is kickin werewolf ass in a supped up Wheelchair with silver bullet machinegun wheels and rocket launchers! What really made me think of Scary Movie was the very Slapstick and sexualized jokes that were in the whole film. It also didn't mind using jokes about black people in the 1930s and 40s or some marijuana in the white house. FDR even has a stoned dream of flying with Abe Lincoln! It's hilarious! What's also funny is that they make FDR use a lot of hip hop lingo and speak over the radio as if he was a DJ, "You're listenin to the Delan-O!" What made the film work was that it knew it was ghetto and tried to be, and that ghettoness was what made it soooo funny! I really enjoyed it and I think if people like the Scary Movie style films that should totally check this out, it was a great spoof knock-off!

At First.....

Author: jimel98 from United States
10 January 2013

At first I thought this would be funny. The premise gave the clear impression that it would be a great spoof. Then I started to watch it. I laughed a bit admittedly as much because seeing FDR drop "F" bombs caught me off guard, but didn't find myself in hysterics over it. I was tired, I went to bed. This morning I went back just a bit before I left off. I looked at this movie in a whole new way. I turned my brain off and found myself really getting a kick out of this. I didn't look at it as a cheap low budget movie that was trying too hard, but instead saw it for what I believe it is, a brilliantly acted and written movie that isn't trying too hard, but trying just enough to LOOK like a cheap low budget "B" movie. Now and then I forget that if a movie is made to LOOK like a cheap BAD movie, it's accomplishing the goal so well, you believe that's exactly what you're watching and you don't see the tongue planted firmly in the cheek. I missed that last night but saw it plain as day this morning. This movie is FUNNY if you just pay attention without really thinking it through too much. Yeah, I just confused myself, but I stand by all that.

Barry Bostwick does a bang up job as does his supporting cast, all of whom are some of the best character actors out there. Anyone who watches this and finds themselves disappointed should do as I did, watch it again with a different outlook and odds are, you'll appreciate this insane masterpiece as many of us have. Now I think I may have to go back and watch this from the beginning again!

Ridiculous movie. But you knew that going in

Author: Tom Carmody from United States
27 February 2013

Nobody expected this movie to be high art. But it was enjoyable. There was the historical sacrilege and the jokes in bad taste and historical figures saying dirty words. But there was also real cleverness and, most importantly, a real love that shone through the film. Nobody involved was phoning it in. It seems like everyone involved in making this movie was having fun, and you couldn't help but have fun along with them. I had a friend over, we cued it up, and laughed quite a bit. And in a year, I will have forgotten about it.

If you are offended by jokes involving racist / sexist stereotypes, you might want to give this one a miss.

A god awful brilliant film

Author: bikerlifestyle from United Kingdom
27 September 2012

the film is bad but that's what makes it so brilliant, its funny, everything about it is wrong, but so right. B movies at its finest OK this is not a very informative review, but i am not just a regular guy who liked this film so much it deserved praise. are some of you going to hate it? - YES, but then this genre probably doesn't appeal to you anyway, so why are you reading the review. and for the rest of us, grab a beer, a few mates and prepare to be taken on a journey A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... ohh wrong film :) wow they want me to write ten lines before i can submit this. so i am adding extra words i think will described this film. Beer, food, werewolf silver bullets, funny as in wet your pants funny, ohh and to point out the out of some equipment used is even funny, especially when Franklin Delano Roosevelt get his first wheelchair and its old and wooden, and the little kid comes in with his modern aluminium wheelchair with blankets on (see what i did there, i added Franklin Delano Roosevelt's middle name so it would make more words so i could get to 10 lines :)

Roosevelts is hunting werewolves in FDR Amercian Badass

Author: rgblakey from United States
29 September 2012

The spoof genre is one that most of the time goes horribly wrong. There are some that have worked really well over the years like Airplane, Naked Gun, Scary Movie, and Top Secret, but sadly very few really do much more than just annoy viewers. The latest FDR American Badass is not so much a spoof of other films, but just a silly over the top tale of history and violence. Is it possible that this silly premise could actually deliver a fun film or will it be another of the plain stupid ones that will be forgotten?

FDR American Badass follows Franklin D. Roosevelt as a werewolf hunter tracking down the like of Adolf Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito in his customized wheelchair of death. Let's start by admitting that there is nothing about this idea that is just ridiculous. This isn't the first of the presidents to tackle supernatural creatures, but it is the first to realize how silly it is and dive in head first. This is a really silly, over-the-top dumb film that will entertain if you let it. Barry Bostwick plays up his version of FDR while channeling Roosevelt, with a dash of Burgess Meredith's Penguin from the Batman series. His version is over the top and far from politically correct that really makes this film work. Set in a world that makes little to no sense with characters that seem to fit right in makes this film work. The effects and action are silly and low budget, but if they had done much more than that it just wouldn't work. They clearly knew what this film was and never tried to take itself seriously. Filled with over the top characters, silly make-up effects, a ridiculous storyline and a gaggle of nasty jokes, FDR delivers exactly what it sets out to do and brings the laughs with it.

Make no mistake, this isn't a good movie by any means, it's one that if you can get in on the joke you will have a fun time. This film sports a surprising cast of recognizable actors besides Bostwick including Lin Shaye, Bruce McGill, Ray Wise, Kevin Sorbo, William Mapother, Paul Wilson, Ahmed Best, Deon Richmond. How can any movie not work with Sorbo as Lincoln, Kenny from the Cosby Show, as well as Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito as werewolves?

My new favorite president

Author: kevinwalisch
18 July 2012

Easily one of the best comedies I've seen in a while. If Airplane and Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter had a crack baby it would be this movie. Unlike some of the more recent spoof type movies that have come out (Epic Movie, Vampires Suck) this one is actually clever and has some balls. What makes it even better is it's historical theme. Franklin Roosevelt, the president who led us out of the great depression, gets wasted, sleeps with his assistants and kills Nazi Werewolves all in an impressively tricked out wheelchair. A werewolf Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito all make hilarious appearances as well. Barry Bostwick is brilliant in his role as FDR and reminded me of the great Leslie Nielsen. Yes this movie is over the top and ridiculous but it will have you laughing the whole time and that's all that really matters. I definitely recommend checking it out if you get the chance. By the way, just a friendly tip, the consumption of alcohol and/or marijuana may enhance your viewing pleasure.

Are you in a Great Depression? Franklin D. Roosevelt says, just new deal it with this movie. It's funny enough to watch.

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
21 June 2014

Indeed, FDR: American Badass is serving up a new deal of stupidity, here. Directed by Garrett Brawith, the movie is an over the top spoof that is trying to capitalize on the new trend of mixing historical characters with the horror genre that was made famous by author Seth Grahame-Smith. Seth Grahame-Smith is most famous for 2010's Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter that was turn into a movie in 2012. Seeing that, Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter was being made into a movie, Screen Media Films & Common Thread went the Asylum Productions route in making a mockbuster. The film was apparent intention of piggy-backing on the publicity of that film with a similar concept. Instead, of having Abraham Lincoln fighting Vampires during the Civil War. This film has Franklin D. Roosevelt (Barry Bostwick) fighting werewolves during the events of World War 2. While, the movie, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter had a way bigger budget, I felt that FDR: American Badass was a better movie with a lower budget. The reason why, is that the movie didn't really take itself serious, like Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. Trying to make the movie seem like it really happen, just insult the intelligent of the viewers. Both movies are not historical accuracy, but having Abraham Lincoln save the slaves, due to vampires is an insult. That's more an insult, than having Axis of Powers being all werewolves. While, the movie has a lot of racism stereotypes of Germans, Italians and Japanese. It wasn't too extremely in bad stereotype taste, in my opinion. I did find humor in the idea of putting werewolves' blood in wine & beer. Then, everybody dissing sake. Another funny moment is the idea of Italy wanting to invade Ethiopia, which they did, in real life. I did find the accents by the foreign werewolves a bit annoying. The action scenes were so limited in budget. That, the fake looking CGI, awful make up, fake blood, and silly sets just add to the ridiculousness value to the film. At least, the movie didn't go into really dark humor with mentions of Holocaust, the bombing of Hiroshima, or other tragic events. Another reason why people probably could see this movie is due to all the cripple jokes. If you can't stand cripples jokes. Just walk it off. The movie doesn't make FDR in shame of his disability. He embrace it, and makes it work in his favor. They make FDR, a stand-up guy! Barry Bostwick really does a good job as Franklin D. Roosevelt. While, he's looks more like Burgess Meredith's Penguin from the 1960's Batman series. He's a more convincing actor to portray FDR, than Bill Murray as FDR in 2012's Hyde Park on Hudson. Most of his set up jokes were pretty funny. Others were lame, like his legs. The supporting cast was pretty bad for the most part. I was really disappointment, because some of them are really good season actors. The crude language was mostly misses, as it felt out of place for the most part. The way, the actors deliver the lines felt like they were just reading off their lines. I guess, they just there to pick up their paycheck, and didn't put much into it. The only other character that was funny was Southern gentleman, Cleavon Buford (Ross Patterson). His character really remind me of Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday character in 1993's Tombstone mixed with Will Ferrell's Hot Tub Lovers skits from Saturday Night Live. I love the scene where he recalls the time, he fought against a werewolf. Another one is the scene, he jump out of an airplane. While, the sexualized jokes from him and his wife, were way too dumb. Just the way, he delivers it, is funny enough as he has no clue, what he's saying. One thing that was oddly place was the nudity. There is boobs fan-service for the male audience. Not much, for the women viewers to look forward to, as the women characters are just sex object here. Even Eleanor Roosevelt (Lin Shayne) was bitchy, and unlikeable. Honestly, they could had add more to her character than being whinny. I did find the potty humor, just unfunny and tasteless. I thought, at less, they could had cut those scenes. Another are the hip hop lingo radio fireside chat and dumb marijuana trip with Abraham Lincoln (Kevin Sorbo). I just couldn't get into. I did like the clever trust the American Eagle of Justice joke. Another thing that bugs me is the pacing. The movie really had a lot of padding scenes. They could really cut the whole helping Great Depression as its plays no factor in the film. Its takes forever to get to the World War 2 plot and they never resolve it with the ending. It was awful, how rush, the ending was. Overall: The movie is indeed, stupid and knows it. I wouldn't say, it's the best comedy ever, but if you just need a movie to be playing in the background, while you do something else. Check this out if you're on your last leg.