IMDb > Skew (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Not Found Footage... But Very Good

Author: simmonsdaryl39 from United States
16 June 2012

This is a low budget horror film. Plain and simple. But man, is it good. I never even heard of this film until I read some reviews about it on the net. Some good, some bad. So I was a bit hesitant to watch it but was pleasantly surprised. The thing that grabbed me was how smart it was. It didn't dumb things down for the audience and that's what I liked about it. It really made you think. It has an ending that leaves you hanging so I did some research and am sure I figured it out. The other thing that is pretty cool is the twist on this found footage thing. Skew is definitely not a found footage film. I went in thinking it was but when you hit a certain point in the film (which I can't really say as it may spoil it), you realize it isn't. First impulse was to say this film blew it because it doesn't follow the rules of found footage (like music) but when you realize it's not, then it totally makes sense. The film is slow and the scares are sparse, but that's not what this is about. It's about getting freaked out and being nervous - which is exactly what I felt. It's not fast-paced like some of the new horror films (which quite frankly aren't scary). It goes back to the route of what's scary and I like that. Don't be thrown off by the haters out there. The film is good and well worth your time if you want to turn your brain on. If not, go see something more mindless.

If no one gets the ending, perhaps the narrative isn't that tight

Author: VandalCAIN from United States
26 May 2013

I, like many others, visited the forum boards to make some sense out of the ending. I got a lot of "you just have to think about it" and "it isn't found footage".

OK.

The only way this movie makes sense is for this to all be a hallucination. There is no camera. There is a camera. Which is it? If there is no camera, why are characters asking for the camera and reaching out their hand as if the camera is changing hands? In some scenes, the camera does change hands.. from the back seat to the front. If there is no camera, how is this happening? Or is this change in POV to throw off the audience? If so, that is highly lame. Especially when the explanation for all of the confusion is "just think about it." Not a found footage? Okay. Well I'm having a hard time understanding how this film explains the numerous camera effects and sounds that all direct the viewer to understand it is a camera. Wiping off the lens, water on the lens, lens cap on the lens, digital tape stress, rewind effects and noises. And yet, Simon doesn't have a camera in the mirror.

Okay.

Most people don't enjoy movies that are confusing and touted as intelligent. If it is intelligent in design, there needs to be a director's cut to clear up a myriad of details.

Dull and unbelievable

Author: samples-sharon
19 July 2014

I really tried to like this film but it was so flawed it drove me nuts. If you were staying in a hotel and the manager was shot in the night would you really just go back to bed and sleep soundly with hardly a word about it? If you just found out from the police that a store you had just been to was now burnt to the ground and the clerk you were chatting with is dead would your reaction be 'I bought some gum and a drink'? Wouldn't you freak just a little bit? If you were asleep in a hotel room and your mate starts yelling there is someone in the room wouldn't you freak just a little bit? If your mate said to you that when he is filming people when their faces are skewed they die, would you really say well maybe mine isn't because you care about me? Really? This film is dull, unrealistic, badly directed and acted. Even the actors looked bored. I know its a film not real life but at least react with a bit of shock when people are dying all around you.

One camera, three characters, and 80 minutes of boredom.

Author: bump-15 from Afghanistan
4 October 2011

There really isn't a whole lot to say about Skew. The entire film is a budget PoV single camera piece in the same style as the Blair Witch Project. While the Blair Witch Project did has some generally creepy scenes, Skew really does not. What it does have are a lot of dead scene that drag on and on.

The plot is centered around a camera which seems to be able to mark people who are about to die. Only the film's protagonist and cameraman, Simon, can see the blotches which obscure the faces of those about to be killed. Once it becomes apparent to Simon and his friends that something is terribly wrong with the camera, a considerable portion of the rest of the film are just scenes where Simon's friends try to get him to stop filming and Simon makes really lame excuses to keep filming.

The film isn't even 90 minutes long, but I wasn't even half way through it by the time I started to feel like it was just dragging on way too much. To cap it all off, there's a lame plot twist at the end which most people will see coming from the start of the movie. Yes, it's that predictable.

The only thing that I find interesting about the film is that fact that it's quite short yet drags on and on, making it seem like a much longer movie. I don't know if this originally started off as a short film project, but I feel like that's the only way it ever could succeeded. Cut out a solid 50 minutes and make it a short film. It might be more watchable then.

The most confusing found footage film out there

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
19 April 2015

I usually like found footage movies but this one is a complete piece of nonsense, thanks to a very badly written narrative which leaves the viewer mired in a confused mess. The storyline involves a trio of friends going on a road trip and bringing along the inevitable video camera. After the slow first half, where we're introduced to these not very interesting people, the horror finally kicks in - what there is of it, anyway.

And this is where the film falls apart. There are dodgy ghostly visions of people and some of the characters go mad, but no real explanation is made. It's like there are a few events, spaced out, and a lot of ominous doom-mongering, but in the end little has really happened. I hated the incessant problems with the video camera which are vain attempts to make the whole thing scarier. It doesn't help that you actively dislike most of the main characters as well. I'm sorry, but the writer/director's refusal to provide clear explanations made me hate this one.

15 Minutes of Plot out of 83 Minutes

Author: Cary Macleod from Toronto
23 August 2014

I began watching this and was quickly bored with footage of nothing and dialogue without content.

I then began fast forwarding looking for when something happens, I would often stop realize it was just people talking about nothing or footage of a picnic table. I kept moving on and I watched the parts that moved the story along. It took me at the most 15 minutes to get through the movie. Perhaps those are the parts that the horror websites were praising.

If you like watching people talk then you might like this. If you like horror movies where things happen and the heroes take action and there is some degree of suspense the AVOID WATCHING THIS.

I saw some references in other reviews about how this was not a found footage film. But there is not description for movies shot using one or more cameras to give the feeling that the events happen in real time. Or real time that has been edited together. Found footage has become a genre title to identify how it was shot. Not just video tape that was found and everyone in it dies.

I'd like to see a found footage style movie where the hero defeats the evil force in an exciting climax. Like Alien but with Signourey Weaver carrying a video camera and the ship equipped with cameras in all the locations.

It was...odd

Author: befoulmetalroosa from United States
26 March 2016

It reminded me of The Ring-the US remake. When the students had their pictures taken after they'd watched the video, their faces were distorted like the faces in the videos Simon had taken. There, the similarities end. While The Ring blended psychological and visceral horror relatively well, this movie did not. In fact, Simon didn't even notice the distortions to his videos until the third set of 'victims' died. And he was the only one to see it. No one else could see his delusions, including the dead coming back after him. It wasn't until I watched him bludgeon his best friend's head in with his own camera that I realized that the delusions were based on guilt. When, at the end of the movie, he rewinds to the point where he was getting ready to leave for the trip, I thought I realized the truth. That he'd killed his ex girlfriend the same way he killed his best friend, just so that he could score with his best friend's girl, Eva. At least, that's what I got out of it. The only time you see his face is when he shoots it in the mirror in his bedroom of his shared apartment. Perhaps that's where the 'guilt distortion' originated. Kinda hard to tell, since the movie was pretty much all over the place, with no real sense of direction. Undoubtedly someone else would get something different from the movie. Who knows?

Half way to a good film

Author: larawoolley from Wales, UK
25 July 2012

I would like to give this film a lot more, but for me, not enough happened to justify a higher rating. The ideas were good; creepy, chilling etc but they were few and far between, and the film built up to nothing. I don't want to sound too harsh but I felt that some of it was pretty lazy - there are loose ends, like who the hell was the kid in the hotel room? Who was the girl in the gas station? Where the hell did Eva go? I had to research the ending because it was so vague. I don't like to be spoon fed film plots but this one was far too ambiguous to understand. I just about grasped the plot; and after researching comments by the director I just felt that the writers really tried too hard to make the film what it was. In fact, researching comments made by the director made me think less of the film. I wouldn't watch it again; it's half way to a great film, but that's it. There should have been more scares and a less ambiguous story/ending. If there were more frequent creepy and scary moments, and they were built on and developed, I think that this film could be a lot better. Also, I don't like animals being killed in films so those needless scenes knocked another star off my rating.

What utter nonsense, oh and there's no horror btw!!

Author: chuckm76 from United Kingdom
5 November 2012

What a waste of time Some moron (probably someone related to the making of the film), rates this film highly on IMDb and states that it's better than "Paranormal Activity". That's an absolute joke! There is no point or reason to this film. The only "Skew" is the over-inflated rating that people on this site have given it.

It steals an idea from the X-Files and a video game from 15 years ago and still can't make a worth while movie, utter garbage. The horror (if I can call it that) is awful, it's not scary well not unless you're scared by film makers getting away with really bad CGI. It's certainly not jumpy which I would have thought would be the main aim of a film of it's type.

When will people please stop lazily comparing any old POV movie with "Paranormal Activity" when the movie isn't even fit to lace "paranormal Activities" boots!

I cannot recommend strongly enough that you do not waste your time on this film, you wont get it back!

I hate this film.

Author: Paul Andrews (poolandrews@hotmail.com) from UK
22 June 2012

Skew starts on fine day as Richard Harrison (Richard Olak) & his girlfriend Eva Hansen (Amber Lewis) arrive at their friend Simon Lacey's (Rob Scattergood) place to pick him & his girlfriend Laura (Teneal Cutting) up to go on a long road trip, unfortunately Laura has changed her mind & doesn't want to go so it's just Richard, Eva & Simon. Having just brought a new camera Simon has decided to film the entire trip for prosperity, the three friends set-off & all goes well at first but Simon becomes obsessed with filming everything which starts to annoy both Richard & Eva. While filming checking in to a motel Simon notices that the face of the clerk is skewed & twisted, later that night the clerk is found dead, the strange occurrence continues to happen as whenever a person or animal's face is blurred or distorted while Simon is filming it ends up dead sooner rather than later including local tourist attractions, bus loads of people & even cop's. Simon is understandably shocked but is the camera responsible somehow & can he convince anyone to believe him...

Edited, written, produced & directed by Sevé Schelenz I have just finished watching Skew after it took me three nights to watch it in little pieces as I couldn't stand seeing more than ten or fifteen minutes at a time, looking at the other reviews floating around the internet I am amazed that Skew is getting such a positive reaction as I thought it was one of the worst films I have seen in ages in every aspect. Let me try to explain why, when I watch a film I just want to be entertained & have some fun with it & if it educates me or makes me think a bit then that's fine but if a film bores me half to death & annoys the hell out of me such as Skew then I have no problem is saying so. For a start Skew lasts for just over 80 minutes & is as boring a film as I have seen in ages, almost literally nothing of any note happens, there's the odd random moment in which people's faces are distorted on camera & they end up dead somehow but is that really enough to warrant all the praise that is being heaped on Skew? Well, if the script did anything interesting or meaningful or coherent with the idea then yes, maybe but it doesn't & Skew ends up as some huge confusing & frustrating mess of a film that I absolutely loathed. Nothing in Skew makes any sense, surely any big budgeted Hollywood film would get ripped to pieces for being this random & incomprehensible? There are baffling moments throughout Skew that make no sense or seem to have any sort of logic that all build up to the most pointless, meaningless & unfathomable ending you could imagine. If anyone can make any sort of sense out of the ending that has any sort of logic within the context of the film then I salute them because it's just a confused mess as far as I am concerned. I won't go into it but the ending isn't so much of a twist as a random collection of scenes that seem to equally contradict the rest of the film & have seemingly no point in regard to the rest of the film. Look, I have no idea why anyone would like Skew & if these people who are giving it good reviews are genuine then fine but for me who just wants to be entertained by a film then Skew is my worst nightmare, it's a boring mess of a film that makes no logical or narrative sense & doesn't even have any sort of story or character's or dialogue to maintain my interest, I absolutely hated Skew & it represents just about everything I loath in a film.

Besides being conceptually awful I hated the way Skew was filmed in a point of view style as filmed by an amateur camcorder operator, it just looks ugly & has zero style or visual appeal to me. There are long stretches of pure black, as much shakiness as you can handle, plenty of shots which last for too long (a shot of a telephone that last for about a minute before anything happens), shots filmed from weird angles where you can't see what's going on properly & just a really bad camcorder look like it was filmed by a five year old. This shaky hand-held camcorder style of filmmaking is one that I hate, this comes down to personal preference but I hate the cheap camcorder look. I like films to look like films, to be colourful & visually appealing rather than drab & amateurish. A lot of the reviews state that there are lots of scary moments in Skew, well if there are I didn't notice them since most of the creepy moments seem to be quick flashes of what may or may not be ghosts or people with their faces distorted like someone has taken a rubber to a pencil sketch & tried to rub it out leaving a great smeary mess.

It's difficult to comment on the production values since Skew is meant to look this bad & amateurish but it's obviously a very low budget film & it show's. The acting is alright, we never see Simon the camera guy's face but I have to say all three main character's really got on my nerves & at the end I was glad to see the back of them.

Skew is a film that I absolutely hated, it made zero sense to me & was just an incomprehensible mess that did nothing for me conceptually or visually as the whole camcorder footage style is one that I loath. I hated Skew, it's as simple & straight forward as that really.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]