IMDb > "The Walking Dead" Cherokee Rose (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Walking Dead: Cherokee Rose (#2.4)"

"The Walking Dead" Cherokee Rose (2011)

« Prev | 10 of 115 Episodes | Next »

Stop me if you've heard this one: zombie falls down a well and...

Author: rwk2
8 November 2011

On the plus side they did finally get around to weapons training. Good move, that. I'm not sure why it wasn't mandatory, or what everyone else was up to, but Shane took Andrea and Carol out to practice. Let's say that's worth about 5 good storytelling points. Of course, worth about a billion bad points are (in no particular order): using "live" bait... to noose a walker... in a poisoned well... after literally JUST showing everyone huddled around a topographic map of the area and commenting about offshoots of the freshwater creek. Removing a contagion from a water supply doesn't magically cure that water; it's still had a dead body in it, regardless of the fact of it being a zombie. It's a coffin martini. I wouldn't drink that water after boiling it for a week straight.

Showing off your special effects skills for no good reason is just laughable (looking your way Michael Bay). If it doesn't fit in with a logical plot all you've done is make a joke to, and really about, the audience. It was stupid to risk Glenn in an effort to save the well. Go to the creek for water, or to the stocked truck Shane found like two days ago, or start digging another well, but don't risk someone's life! This isn't the desert, it's Georgia. There is water to be had. I'd want these idiots to leave too if I was Herschel.

And that's just the low point of the episode. Ransacking a pharmacy by passing perfectly good houses en route made no sense either, nor did leaving the horses (again, live bait) tethered outside without a guard, nor did having two people search instead of one guarding the other's back. I watch my buddy's back in a questionable 7-11. I like to think we'd be a little smarter than the average bear during the Apocalypse.

This one started cheesy, got dumb, and stayed stupid. Man, do I hope they step it up a few notches (before it's too late).

The Most Uninteresting Episode So Far

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
8 November 2011

The survivors arrive at Hershel's farm to camp and the owner asks then to walk disarmed on his land. The survivors find a walker trapped in a well and they unsuccessfully try to remove it without contaminating the water with its blood. Glenn rides with Maggie to a pharmacy in a nearby town and Lori asks him to bring a special supply for her. After getting the medical supplies, Glenn and Maggie have sex. Carl is better and will survive. Shane is disturbed and preparing to train the survivors. Daryl seeks our Sophia alone and brings a Cherokee rose to give hope to Carol. When Lori gets her supply, she uses it and discovers that he fear has come true.

The deceptive "Cherokee Rose" is the most uninteresting episode of "The Walking Dead" so far. The zombie that has fallen down in the well is quite disappointing. The dialog between Rick and Hershel about Faith and God is terrible. The idea of keeping the weapons stored in unbelievable. The sex scene between Maggie and Glenn has no chemistry and is lame. The sequences between Carl and Rick, and Daryl telling the story of the Cherokee rose yo Carol are the best moments of this weak show. A question that I can not avoid is: - If there is a calm pharmacy close to the farm, why did Shane and Otis risk their lives going to a place crowded of walkers? Further, if the survivors avoid shooting since the walkers are attracted by the sound, how can Shane prepare a stand to train the group in the farm?

Last but not the least, watching "The Walking Dead" in Fox do Brasil is the worst that a fan can do. The responsible for this cable TV show no respect to the audiences, abusing of commercial breaks in the most inconvenient moments, breaking the tension of the episode. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Cherokee Rose"

Note: On 09 April 2016, I saw this show again.

Compared to the brilliant episode the week before, this episode is sort of a letdown.

Author: kkoller0693 from United States
9 November 2011

Okay so we understand that Shane is turning to the dark side by purposefully shooting a man down for the zombies to eat him instead. That was a great twist in last weeks episode. After that good of an episode, the next episode has a lot to show. Unfortunately "Cherokee Rose" is uninteresting even if a zombie is pulled apart.

The episode starts off with slowly coming out of his semi-comma and he asks how Sophia is doing (NOTE: why is it taking it this long to find the girl - honestly by day 3 I would've just said "F it" and continue.) After lying to keep Carl's strength up, they try to organize a plan to try to find Sophia. Then the whole crew comes to the farm and they find a zombie trapped in the well that completely contaminates the water after being split in to while trying to pull it out. Oh yea then Glenn has sex with the girl he's been eying the past couple of episodes.

I guess the very end was good enough to be a twist. Lori finds out she's pregnant that brings up two very important questions. The obvious one is whose baby is it? Is it Shane's or Rick's? The other question is would you bring a baby into a world where zombies has taken over? I would say no on that subject but that's my opinion.

Overall, by reading this review nothing really happened in this episode. It was pretty bland but not really boring. I still have high hopes for this season but they have somewhat decreased since episode one of the second season. 7/10

Another Satisfying Episode!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
1 June 2014

This is the fourth episode in the second season of Walking Dead and it happens to be a good experience. It's light on the action, but heavy on the drama. The only action involving a walker is the best part of this episode and is actually pretty funny and rather disgusting. I also must credit the make-up work on this particular walker, because it look very revolting.

In this episode, "Cherokee Rose," Carl is now recovering from his wound, so the emphasis goes back to finding Sophia. At the Herschel residence, their water well has been contaminated by a walker, so the gang tries to figure out how to get rid of it.

Overall, this is an excellent episode and I'm surprised that people found this disappointing. There's not much action, but the drama scenes are nothing to be scoffed at. There's even a little romance involved, so that's good to watch. As usual, an excellent cliffhanger this time revolving around Lori. I rate this episode 9/10.

Possibly The Weakest Episode Saved By Excellent Performances

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
23 October 2014

Plot In A Paragraph: With Carl recovering, led by Daryl the gang continue to look for Sophia. Glen bonds with Maggie while Hershal tells Rick the group needs to move on once Sophia is found.

A weak episode, possibly the weakest one so far. It's saved by excellent acting all round (except Sarah Wayne Callies of course). Especially Norman Reedus, his acting is superb as Daryl Dixon who is searching for Sophia and is desperate not to lose another member of the group. He shares a great scene with Melissa McBride continues to impress as Carol. Andrew Lincoln is as always great as Rick and he shares some great scenes with Scott Wilson as Hershel. It was also good to see Steven Yeun get some good screen time again too.

With the introduction of Hershel and his family, some of the main cast (T-Dog and Dale are the biggest victims) are taking a back seat. I hope that's not an indication that some of them are becoming expendable. Cos as we know "The Walking Dead" has a tendency to go all "Game Of Thrones" on us and kill off main characters.

This episode fails to 'rose'

Author: turtleggs from Turkey
11 July 2012

With Shane is injured and Rick is tired of giving blood to Carl, it is up to Daryl to go look for Sophia. He searches a vacant house, but fails to find her. He later find a Cherokee Rose, and gives it to Sophia's mother Carol.

The group finds a walker trapped in one of the freshwater wells around the farm. They try to lift the walker without killing it, because it may contaminate the water, but this plan has funny consequences.

Lori tells Glenn to get something for her from the pharmacy in town, and Maggie goes with him. They encounter a funny situation.

Carl is recovering, and it is revealed what Lori asked from Glenn to get for her.

Storyline is progressed VERY slow, in fact it is not progressing. I said previously that group maybe postpone their Fort Benning plans, but it seems obvious that season 2 will be around farm. 1 single walker in entire episode.

I'm sorry but this episode fails. My vote is 6/10

Failed to bloom

Author: richjepson24
6 December 2011

A fitting title for this week's episode of The Walking Dead but sadly the "Cherokee Rose" wilted more than it blossomed. After what was the best episode since the pilot last week the show slowed down it's pace but that's not to say it didn't have some good moments – especially for Glenn. The episode started off well with the burial of Otis putting a lot of pressure on Shane as he tried his best to re-invent the truth of what happened at the school. This then took a swan dive, almost literally for Glenn, into the pretty pointless zombie fishing experiment.

We heard from Maggie, no less than 10 minutes before, that there are 5 wells on the farm. OK, so when Dale and the much more active T-Dog discover the zombie tribute to Sadako trapped down well number 2 they decide that they've gotta bring it out alive to prevent water contamination.

Obviously this was going to spell trouble and chaos ensued when the rusted pump collapsed, but after getting Glenn out they figured they'd use the horse to drag out the deep Z diver instead. So why not use the horse in the first place? or even more logically – use another well? And who would want to drink water that a zombie had been bathing in? Seeing the guts spill out back into the well was pretty gruesome and T-Dog putting what was left out of it's misery was fun to watch, but ultimately it felt like this scene was only there to give us our weekly fix of the undead.

Maggie's reaction to this was interesting and there have been a few disapproving glances between her and Hershel when the others have killed walkers. This looks like it could cause some conflict later on.

The best part of the episode for me was without a doubt seeing Glenn get a reward for all of his well wading and supply missions. Or maybe this was a bit of karma for saving Rick's ass way back in the second episode. Fans of the comics would have known this was coming and so probably weren't surprise when the pair decide to get it on right there in the store. What would have been nice would have been if the pair had an unexpected guest – remember two's company, three's necrophilia.

As most of the stronger male characters were recovering from one thing or another the only real action would have come from Daryl in his search for the missing girl. Although he didn't find much other than a 'Cherokee Rose' and a used can of tuna it was insightful to see another side to his character when he spoke with Susanne. He seems to have really developed since we first met him and as he's not in the comics it will be good to see what the writers decide to do with him and his brother, should he reappear.

The tempo of this episode was in many ways a let down compared to the magnitude of "Save the last one", but there were some key moments to keep the story flowing and the development of Lori's pregnancy is going to add more depth to the storyline in the coming weeks.

6/10 Scene of the episode – GLENN GETTING SOME

Too much drama for me!

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
17 July 2012

Cherokee Rose is a reflective episode where everyone shares their feelings. The search for Sophia is on going for the last few episodes. The sub-plot of finding Sophia is taking to long and is dragging the storyline down. Sophia's mother and the woodman guy share some feelings about life. Shane reflects on Otis's death, and leaves some details out, during Otis's funeral. One see Shane has lost his soul. Cherokee Rose is nothing more than a sharing circle of each character's feeling. The episode is a character developmental plot device to understand each character better. However, there is little tension or plot development in this episode. I am tried of watching the characters walking around in the woods, and sharing their feeling. I give Cherokee Rose a four out of ten. Too much drama for me!

Dumb Behavior II : Zombitris, irresistible Glenn, predictable Lori subplot, thoughtful connections, optimistic spirit, intriguing rules, smart dialogs

Author: igoatabase from France
8 November 2011

And the walker of the week is… Gorezilla ! Their plan to get it out of the well was silly and with Save the Last One, where Daryl and Andrea went for a walk at night, I worry that we will have to endure more stupid situations. I mean the cord is the oldest one trick pony, it always break. So the precious minutes lost to follow Glenn's predictable descent in hell could have been used for something more important. It leads us to his hilarious and sexy escape with Maggie. The awkward way he got laid was well staged and it was obvious Steven Yeun and Lauren Cohan were having fun. Surviving with their characters would make a post apocalyptic world less painful to live in. Moreover their arc was connected to Lori's search for a pregnancy test so even if I saw it coming the writing knows where it's going. In addition her sensual moment with Rick in front of the mirror was similar to the one Glenn and Maggie shared. It proves that there's still hope despite the pessimistic dialogs between Lori and her husband last episode. The slow pace also proved that The Walking Dead excels in all departments, from frightening situations like the horde to heartwarming reunions. They're all together now and only Sophia is missing. But it seems Daryl is on her trail even if it wasn't explicitly stated, a subtlety I'm quite fond of. The hopeful story he told the mother was also quite moving and the rose as beautiful as the landscape Rick and the old man contemplated at the creek. As for their man to man discussion in front of the house it opened a whole new set of possibilities. Shouldn't Rick ask the others what they want to do ? What are the rules to stay ? Covering topics like religion and education issues was also quite enlightening. Last but not least a bold Shane reminded me of Of Mice and Men because the character has reached a certain complexity and makes me uncomfortable. Of course he had to lie but if he hadn't shoot the fat guy well he would just be a pile of bloody meat on the road.

Now I only have one question left… How many condoms did Glenn use ? Considering the super bright smile he had on his face I bet on seven, one for each heaven they reached. Naughty survivors !

Note : This review was first posted on Kritikenstein, my weblog.