"The Walking Dead: Judge, Jury, Executioner (#2.11)"

"The Walking Dead" Judge, Jury, Executioner (2012)

« Prev | 17 of 115 Episodes | Next »

You! You just made the naughty list.

Author: Alex Buchmann from United States
8 March 2012

This was quite the episode indeed. As Dale makes his rounds trying to convince people that killing the outsider is a in-humane mistake, Carl decides to go on a little road trip by himself. After explaining to Carol that heaven isn't real, the little "badass" roams through the woods feeling sorry for himself. Quick question though, (one that everyone thought I'm sure) where are his parents?! The fact that no one is watching their only child during a zombie apocalypse is astounding, i realize there is a lot going on, but keep the kid on a leash.

As he wanders he makes a discovery, but whats haunting is the fact that he decides to play with the walker stuck in the mud, instead of run for the hills. This kid is looking more like the spawn of Shane every min into this episode. Later on the group decides to "vote" for the outsiders fate, but results in a very upset Dale. I see where Dale is coming from, he wants everyone to keep their humanity in a world gone to hell, but in the long run smart money would be to kill the kid. In the beginning of the episode, the kid explains to Daryl that his group more or less raped young girls and left them there to die. He said he didn't have any part in it, but the look in Daryl's eyes says it all.

Once the decision is made, they transport the outsider to the barn for execution. Right before Rick pulls the trigger, Carl enters the scene, egging his father on to pull the trigger. Once again, where in the hell is Lori when this is all going down?! Worst mother of the year award goes to that lady. Feeling ashamed, Rick backs off. Now, the very ending is what saves this gem of a episode. Dale wandering off, collecting his thoughts approaches a slaughtered cow. Upon his horrible discovery he is attacked by a lone walker who tackles him down and stares him in the eye. What's most haunting is that the walker looked as though he knew Dale, like he wanted revenge. I know this cant be possible, but it looked very personal for the walker. Unfortunately, after the "puncture" of Dales torso, little Carl realizes its the same walker whom he toyed with earlier while stuck in the mud. Carl has officially made the naughty list.

Losing Dale will be devastating for the group IMO, and now that the only voice of reason has been slaughtered, it will be interesting to see what happens next. Keep it up. Only 2 episodes left.

Sorry Brother

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
6 March 2012

Daryl interrogates Randall about his group and he learns that they are formed by thirty dangerous men capable to rape two teenage daughters in front of their father.

Rick and Shane decide to kill Randall, who is considered a threat to the survivors, but Dale opposes to their decision and Rick summons the group that is supportive to the execution to vote. Dale tries to convince each survivor that they must not lose their humanity.

Carl is affected by the situation and has strange actions: first he sneaks to talk to Randall; then he disrespects Carol with an offensive comment about her beliefs; then he teases a walker that is trapped in the swamp; then he decides to participate in the meeting that will judge of Randall; and finally when Rick is ready to shoot Randall in the head, Carl arrives in the barn affecting Rick. Meanwhile Dale wonders on the field and is surprised by the walker that Carl had made fun of.

"Judge, Jury, Executioner" is a dramatic episode where the writer visibly used the idea of "12 Angry Men" with Dale. The survivors are supposed to be the "good guys" and the situation of Randall is conflictive with the principles that rule an organized society. However, this is a post-apocalyptic world where survival guides the men. Therefore, Dale's attitude is absurd for the new order. Andrea is absolutely incoherent with her attitude supporting Dale in the last moment.

My guess is that Randall and his group will bring lots of pain to the survivors. This seems to be the logic of the show in the moment that Rick spares Randall. Rick was not logical when he rescued Randall from the walkers and now he does not execute the guy as agreed, showing that he is not a good leader as I have thought but a dictator. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "The Walking Dead: Judge, Jury, Executioner"

Note: On 10 April 2016, I saw this show again.

Now The Fun Really Begins!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
9 June 2014

This is the eleventh episode of the second season of Walking Dead and it's incredible and one of the finest episodes yet this season. There is some shock value here. There is a scene that might surprise you, but then it won't surprise you if you know your horror well, but I'll let you watch the episode so you can truly see. The character development is great and this episode is filled with emotional depth.

In this episode, "Judge, Jury, Executioner," Rick and Shane decides to kill their captive, Randall at sundown despite Dale's protests. Meanwhile, Carl begins to act very strange and even encounters a walker, which will set off a chain of events.

Overall, this is an excellent episode that is made better by the shocking and overwhelming finale. We get great character development especially with Rick and his son. If the title is something to go by, something big is bound to happen. I rate this episode 10/10.

The Moral Minority in a Grave New World...

Author: poe426 from USA
5 March 2012

It was bound to happen in this Grave New World (at least momentarily): the silencing of the Moral Minority. Will this make for an Immoral Majority- or Survivors, determined to survive no matter what the cost? It'll be interesting to see what develops- and one could hardly ask for a better or more dramatic ending to an episode. I honestly didn't see this one coming. The revelation on TALKING DEAD that the cow was to have originally been another member of the group was interesting, as well. (Mull it over: who ELSE would they have sacrificed?) All things considered, the second season is turning out to be pretty good, especially as it nears its end.

Great show

Author: bjjnedan from United States
6 August 2012

I love this series. This was actually a very good episode, all are, even if they do tend to drag on at times. The only gripe I have at all, and it's a very minor one, is that all the characters seems to make dramatic transformations from caring to not caring, from good to evil back to good in almost no time at all. It seems as if every episode is several months apart from each other, but it really can't be that way.

Anyways, this episode is very good, but one gripe I have about this episode is that Carl is a little retard. Seriously, am I the only one that wanted that little turd to become lunch meat after his little incident with the Walker trapped in mud? Come on, Carl threw rocks, pointed his gun at, then proceeded to do nothing more than eye rape the zombie. At that point, I really wanted the Walker would get free and have himself a Carl Twinkie.

The Sage is Down

Author: deltaop from Rawalpindi, Pakistan
18 October 2013

Much of this episode made little sense to me. The group has a threatening prisoner and is split on whether to keep him alive or execute him. Much of the group preferred the latter course of action except Dale, the old guy, who was one of my favorite characters on the show.

Schisms appear, as Dale tries his best to convince the group to drop what they were going to do and see the immorality of their actions. He seems like the only voice of sanity there.

I hated Carl's part in this episode. I understand that what he sees around him is having an effect on him psychologically but the writers just blew it out of proportion. He is seen wandering about, mouthing off and attempting stupid, audacious acts.

The final nail in this episodes mediocrity was how Dale went down at the end. I mean, what the hell? There is so much wrong about this sequence. For instance, a dejected Dale goes beyond the fence and into an open field. He discovers a disemboweled, but still alive cow carcass. He fears the worst, turns around around and lo and behold, a walker is standing there, ready to jump him. I mean, are the writers trying to say that the walkers can lay down complex traps? Because as Dale walks up to the partially eaten body of the cow, there is no one in his field of view (remember it is a level field). And the last time I checked, walkers don't actually have any sneaking characteristics.

All in all, a forgettable episode in a so far lackluster season.

No Parental Guidance Here...

Author: James Mclean from Australia
5 July 2012

I really like The Walking Dead, I do. I've even accepted the fact that this season is all about a farmhouse. And a missing girl...who was eventually found in, or rather released out of, the barn of aforementioned farmhouse. I even accepted that it took seven episodes to get to her, even though I felt it was a plot point being dragged out like a Clydesdale plowing a field, it will take a while but it'll get done eventually.

Yet, what I can't stomach, is the character arc poor little Carl is going through, because let's face it, he's fast becoming a major douche. But then again, in this episode, so were most of them. Rick was having a moral dilemma (again),going from passive to aggressive and back again. "Hey, what do you guys think?" seems to be his mantra in this episode. Lori "forgave" him for not murdering (under the justification of "the common good" of the group) someone, which is very creepy in a Lady Macbeth kind of way. And poor little Carl, after being shot for wanting to look at a pretty deer only days earlier, is now up and about and wandering hither and thither, getting into all kinds of strife. This kid is seriously only a puppy and kitten's torture away from becoming serial killer material. I have to agree with an earlier reviewer's question, where are his parents indeed? Lori's answer to parental discipline seems to be limited to "get inside the house" and "go upstairs". If I were Carl, I'd probably run off and grab a gun too, hell, everyone else is, why not him? Andrea is officially never allowed to be on a kids help line, or become a camp counselor. Her sage wisdom to a depressed teen: "hey, if you want to off yourself, have at it".Way to go, Dr Philistine. Shane is a complete nut, but hey, at least he's consistent. Poor old Daryl is now the group's torturer (good work if you can get it), but I still love his redneck ass. T-Dog, what have you done for me lately? Nada. At least Glenn is getting some action, even if it does turn him into a blubbering git. Poor Carol has lost little Sophia, and is now officially on her way to becoming crazier than a bag of cats, even if she says she's not.

And then there's Dale, who has gone from moral mouthpiece of the group to a repetitive parrot that no-one wants to listen to, including me. Sad to see you go, Dale, but apparently that "walker" (why doesn't anyone call them zombies? I forget), like the group, had finally had a gut-full of your preaching, which is, most likely, why he promptly disemboweled you. Or maybe he was just upset at being humiliated by a ten year old psychopath and needed someone to take his anger out on, who can say? At least he had a nice slab of beef for his final meal.

The character I do feel sorry for is poor Randall. Impaled, stitched up, tied up, gagged, blindfolded, thrown in the trunk of a car and left for dead. Then he's saved, only to be tied up again, tortured and then very nearly executed; this is not Randall's week to say the least. The worst of it is, Randall was locked in the boot of that Hyundai for more than 36 miles...with headphones on, and the poor fella didn't even get to pick the music. You should have run when you had the chance Randall, you should have run.

The Walkers are the Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Author: turtleggs from Turkey
11 July 2012

Randall tells how dangerous his group is to Daryl. After that, everybody thinks Randall should be executed, except Dale. Dale thinks they are losing their humanity, and Rick gives him time to convince group otherwise, if he can: till sundown.

Meanwhile Beth is recovering from her catatonic and miserable state. Hershel talks with Glenn, and gives him his watch that is a family heirloom: it is a sign that he approves he and Maggie.

Dale talks to many member of group that day to convince them, but nobody seem to think execution is wrong.

Carl mocks Carol for believing on heaven that Sophia is living there. He finds an item from Daryl's motorcycle, and encounters a stuck walker.

At the sundown, the group is ready to execute Randall, Dale thinks the group is "broken". At midnight, he walks toward to wood line, just before he had a terrific encounter.

This episode is the mark that, storyline is going very well. I actually jumped and shocked at the end. Character improvement is very good as well. It is sorry sight to watch Dale tries to awake the group from their killing intentions.

And come to think of it, I think walkers are the judge, jury and executioner.

My vote is 8/10.

Sorry Brother

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
25 October 2014

After the last action packed episode, this weeks is a much slower pace

Plot In A Paragraph: After Randall reveals that he was with is heavily armed and violent, Rick decides that they have little choice but to kill him. Dale disagrees feeling that this is a question about keeping their humanity. Shane is fed up with Rick and Hershel and is thinking of staging a takeover. Carl begins to rebel against his parents authority but there are consequences and there is a terrible price to pay.

Jeffrey DeMunn is the star of this episode as Dale desperately tries to stop the group from losing it's humanity, by pleading with each member of the group individually not to vote to kill Randall. Carl is in need of a good slap, and his actions cost a camp member their life.

Last episode I said which two characters I would happily see die, it was neither of them, but one of the characters I liked instead. So add Carl to the list of Lori and Andrea.

T-Dog has been relegated to the background so much I thought I'd missed an episode where he'd died till he turned up at the end of this episode. Even then he doesn't even speak. Someone wrote this guy some dialogue.

There is a nice scene where Herschel has a man to man talk with Glen.

A major shift in the series?

Author: tbmforclasstsar from United States
8 March 2012

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

With the conclusion of season two episode eleven of "The Walking Dead" the dynamic of the survivors has changed vastly. As the pale undead walker attempts to gnaw off Dale's face and rips open his stomach like an over-enthusiastic kid tearing through wrapping paper on Christmas, so too does this zombie rip into a new layer of this show. With the entire group by his side, the last hope for a normal life in a new society gets plugged in the head; the humane end to the only person left seeking a worthwhile humanity.

The loss of Dale is the second major loss to the group since season two began last October. Outside of the barn walkers who were already goners and Otis who never had the chance to join our group, Sophia and Dale are laid to rest with the fat reality of the world these survivors live in. And we are left with the worst of them all.

I was a bit worried about Dale as soon as this episode kept returning to him asking for someone to back him in not killing the boy prisoner in the barn. Concluded with his final monologue at the hearing in the farm house, Dale's doom was written out in a way to ensure a lasting memory on this group. And at the very least, Andrea won't be kicking herself for not siding with Dale the last time she had the chance to. The only one who teams up with Dale, Andrea is excited to give the news to Dale that Rick couldn't go through with the execution. But Dale has spoken his monologue, made his peace with the group, and is about to meet his maker, leaving us with his final statement at the farmhouse: "This group is broken." Only fitting that the guy who Dale directed his comment to and the guy that believed this in the first place was the one that put the old man down.

While losing Dale and having some drama in this show that doesn't come from a love triangle or a girl trying to commit suicide was a welcome relief, it is unfortunate that the writers chose the fall of Dale to be the result of a stupid, dumb, ignorant kid who suddenly has become a new person to hate in the group. At the beginning of the second season, we all held our breath as Carl took a gunshot to his torso, fell to the ground, and was raced into Hershel's farm. All the way through episode ten of season two, we watched the long road of recovery for Carl, the losing of his only friend Sophia, and the slow change that looked like Carl was becoming an adult all too early. At least it seemed this way.

But apparently what the writers were developing is not that Carl was becoming a man, but rather a psychotic little demon child; Damien Thorn in a sheriff's hat. His sudden obsession with death that comes in "Judge, Jury, Executioner" is sudden and obviously problematic for the future. Between sneaking into the barn to talk to the boy, walking off on his own and trying to shoot down Dale's eventual killer, and wandering into the barn to cheer on his dad at the execution, Carl has suddenly become this strange, psychotic, foolish kid that has effected so much in the group in a short time. It's just strange to me to write this show where the Carl character becomes such a pivotal and reckless wild card.

Like I've said through several episodes lately, it doesn't make sense that all of the members of this group have survived as long as they have. The stupid decisions they make and the lack of consequences that come from these decisions is ridiculous. Finally, "Judge, Jury, Executioner" makes the group pay for the dumb actions they make. But instead of being a stupid choice by one of the adults on this farm, it is the idiotic move by an immature and semi-sadistic pre-teen. We can only assume that Daryl will notice his gun is missing, the news will come out that Carl walked off on his own and tried to kill a zombie, the same zombie escaped the magical mud moat of farm safety, and that zombie got to the farm to munch on a cow and tear Dale open.

The other storyline that is lost in the Dale finale is that Rick had actually made the decision to kill their prisoner. Though news came later that meant this boy knew where the farm was located, I am still confused how Rick could want to save this boy one minute and kill him ever so suddenly the next. Like Dale said, a boy's life is in their hands and they can't leave that up to a five minute discussion. Sure, the boy was stupid enough to admit some members of the group he was in had raped some girls they had found along the way, but is there any reason to believe that this boy has such loyalty to a group like that he would run away if untied, hurry back to his other group, and bring them into the farm with guns ablaze? Survival of the fittest would tell us this group is not going to be any stronger by killing a boy who could become a productive member of the group, especially when we have just lost another gunman in Dale. Review continues at custodianfilmcritic.com/the-walking-dead-2-11-judge-jury-executioner/

Read more Walking Dead reviews and more at CustodianFilmCritic.com