IMDb > Step Up Revolution (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Dancing for a cause

Author: blogurious from Netherlands
26 July 2012

Strength of will and right attitude are the main ingredients for getting what you want. It is not always about being in the right place at the right time. But also making sure those two will meet you half way.

"Step Up Revolution" has for once broken the stigma created by movies where every teenage- dancing character has one and only thing in their minds: fame and fortune. This time they go a bit deeper in search of something more than self assurance or rebel behaviour, trying to bring justice to their people instead of thinking the world revolves around them. The music is not so catchy but the well choreographed flash-mob style performances are quite interesting. It's a good entertainment for dance lovers or anyone in the mood for a good time.

There's no reason you won't enjoy this one!

Author: jayteerth from India
3 August 2012

Step Up Revolution is a must watch if you are street dancing fan. Dancing gets just better and political here! Tight moves, fancy footwork, blasting beats, spectacular group numbers n backdrop of glitzy Miami... There's no reason you won't enjoy this one. Oh yeah, someone knows how to take full advantage of 3D, from the opening scene to the end credits. Kudos to "The Mob" n entire crew. Must mention, the magic man in the background is our own Shaamak Davar. Overall, I would call it a triumph of sheer spectacle! Yes, my review doesn't go with the critics because what critics don't understand is, they don't make these things to win awards, they make them so we can have fun watching!

Step into dynamic dancing and anemic story.

Author: John DeSando (jdesando@columbus.rr.com) from Columbus, Ohio
29 July 2012

When I stepped into the theater to see Step Up Revolution, I expected cutting-edge dance. I got it and maybe better than I expected with robust routines blending 3-D performance and modern art to tell a story that moves from public display to public mission.

"The Mob" is a flash mob secretly doing percussive urban choreography at different times in Miami to publish the dance on YouTube and win $100K for the most hits. The opening sequence using vintage low-riders in a traffic jam is spectacular, a muscular routine using very physical dance and very physical automobiles for an enjoyable fusion of art and pop culture.

Look, this is not Flashdance or Dirty Dancing, and Emily (Kathryn McCormick) is not Jennifer Beals, nor is Sean (Ryan Guzman) Patrick Swayze (or Channing Tatum from the first installment), but they are attractive performers given simple dialogue but dynamic modern film dancing that uses creative camera angles and minimal CGI to tell a pleasant formulaic story. In other words, I was entertained by the dancing and found the screenplay clichéd.

Emily's dad, Mr. Anderson (Peter Gallagher, the only true actor in the lot), plans to build a giant complex right in the hood of the dancers, a place romanticized for the purposes of the story but in reality a poor wharf community. The Mob, along with Emily, fights to preserve the area using flash mob to tell their story to the city to stop the construction. The set pieces are uniformly exciting and executed with such energy as to evoke the passions of youth and protest.

The story and the dialogue are pedestrian, but that dancing is so magnetic that I might go back and see the first three films in the series and maybe Footloose and maybe even West Side story and Strictly Ballroom.

If for nothing else, Step Up Revolution keeps alive the romantic dance movie genre with some steps even Fred Astaire wouldn't recognize. Now that's revolution.

Terrible movie!!!

Author: Jay Harrington from United States
29 December 2012

This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Just to start off I am not the kind of person to negatively review something unless it is truly terrible enough to deserve it. The story line of this movie is terrible and completely unrealistic. I understand it is a dance movie but to think that dancing this is going to make some monumental difference in society is ridiculous. Also to make it as though they are facing having to serve hard time in the Big House for dancing around just comes off as dumb. It drives me crazy to watch movies like this that try to pull off some sort of profound message but fail miserably. It is sad to think about all the young boys and girls out there who will grow up idealizing movies like this. These movies should stick to dancing and leave the messages to serious movie makers. If you feel the need to watch this movie I recommend saving yourself time and just fast forward to the dance scenes.

Incredible dancing, terrible movie

Author: kgmarra from United States
30 July 2012

Each new installment of the "Step Up" franchise is a step down from the last. "Step Up Revolution" stars Kathryn McCormick ("So You Think You Can Dance") and Ryan Guzman. The story is about a group of dancers called The Mob, which performs flash mobs all over the city of Miami. In order to win a YouTube contest with a grand prize, each of their performances are filmed and put online to get the most views that they possibly can receive.

Sean (Guzman) first meets Emily (McCormick) at a party and she eventually joins The Mob. However, they soon find out that some successful businessman is planning to tear down The Mob members' neighborhood. This businessman just happens to be Emily's father. Didn't see that one coming…

The rest of the movie involves The Mob using their talents to protest and win their neighborhood back, while Emily is conflicted between her father and her new crew.

My expectations were pretty low going in, but somehow this movie is even worse than I had expected. Yes, the dancing is incredible and the choreography is quite inventive, but it doesn't make up for the awful acting and overly familiar story. Kathryn McCormick and Ryan Guzman had no chemistry, nor do they have much of an acting background. The plot is extremely predictable and the script is as cheesy as it gets.

The only enjoyable scenes are those that involve dancing. The rest is tough to sit through. There are a few cameos in an attempt to somehow connect the fourth "Step Up" to the previous two, which was a nice surprise.

If you loved "Step Up 2: The Streets" and "Step Up 3D", I'm sure you'll love this one too. It's incomparable to the first "Step Up", which is less of a 'dance movie' and more of a movie that includes dance within it.

I give "Step Up Revolution" a 4 out of 10. If it weren't for the amazing dancing, I'd give it a 1.

More flat than anything else, unfortunately.

Author: Frank Richter from Australia
17 August 2012

After having attended a couple of the early Step Up movies I gave this one a shot to see if it might have evolved. The reality of it is: It hasn't evolved! Characters - especially the main ones - are bland and unbelievable - literally. The storyline couldn't be any more ordinary. Music wise the producers tried to incorporate Dub Step as the main music style, which didn't match the theme, nor the story.

The dance action whatsoever did accommodate the music, but missed the overall messaging purpose of "The Mob" by miles.

Cheesy, non erotic. That sounds all pretty negative. So I am guessing the movie addresses a very young audience. Shame.

Step up took a step back

Author: rgblakey from United States
26 July 2012

When the original Step Up film debuted it was a surprise hit and gave the world Channing Tatum, but no one ever thought it would become a franchise. After two successful sequels, it comes as no shock that they decided to churn out another one with Step Up Revolution. Much like the second film in the series, they once again changed up the cast, but also the direction of the dancing itself. Could this latest entry be as entertaining as the previous films or will it be the one that finally closes the curtain? Step Up Revolution follows a girl aspiring to be a professional dancer who falls in love with the leader of a flash mob dance crew. When a wealthy business man threatens to build a hotel in the neighborhood of the crew, they must work together to use their dance as protest art to try and stop him. If this story sounds familiar it should it was pretty much the same story from Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo with just some minor changes. The previous films in this series managed to stay pretty entertaining even without Tatum thanks to the great dance sequences and the likable talented Adam Sevani who played Moose. Sadly, he has taken a very distant back seat to this latest edition to the franchise. The cast leading this movie seem to really struggle trying to make this work. There is no chemistry between anyone and their performances were subpar at best. In reality though the dance is what people come to see in these films and usually can make up for that, but here even most of that is a bit off. Even with a rehash of a story that's been done hundreds of times, the thought of the flash mob dancing is a good one, but just not executed all that well. With the exception of the opening sequence and the final sequence the rest of the performances not only come off not all that entertaining, but even more so unbelievable. The majority of this film lives in the land of make believe and has no way of making the viewer believe that they could pull off what they did.

This is easily the weakest edition to this franchise with little to no redeeming quality. It's not the worst film ever made or anything and some fans of the franchise are sure to enjoy it, but just doesn't work. The end sequence, while also not being all that believable to pull off in the time they supposedly did it, still manages to entertain thanks mostly to some not so surprising fan favorites.

So You Think You Can Dance: The Movie

Author: Troy_Campbell from Sydney, Australia
7 August 2012

When Step Up was released in 2006 with a pre-fame Channing Tatum, there was little need for a plot or character development but they included it anyway – and the movie, along with the hip-hop/ballet moves, was actually really good. Six years and three sequels later, that effort has slowly diminished; at this point in the franchise it's 100% about the dancing and nothing else. Subsequently Miami Heat is essentially the cinematic version of 'So You Think You Can Dance', albeit without the talentless gits that hog the early episodes for comedic value. The high-concept toe-tapping sequences come thick and fast and mercifully keep the acting and dialogue to a minimum, however the sheer implausibility of the set pieces – called "protest art" or some crap – grinds over time. Fans of the series can kick back and enjoy, all others should give it a miss.

Bad

Author: Evaldas Liaugodas
18 November 2012

This is the worst Step Up movie I've ever seen.

We've got a guy and a girl from different worlds who fall in love. Check. We've got a competition to win. Check. And then we've got everything else.. The crew has like 50 people in it and they all hope that winning $100k will change their life. That's $2k a person. Wow! And by the way, they drive cars that are worth like $100k each. And those tools they use to create so called "ART" cost thousands of $$$ too. So nice to be poor in America! The main conflict among a boyfriend, a girlfriend and a boyfriend's best pal comes out of nowhere. The pal gets upset without a reason and messes everything up, then a girlfriend gets angry with her boyfriend with no reason too. And how everything turns out is even more amusing.

Cheap movie, bad script. I give 3 out of 10 just because there were a few nice girls and an Ocean :)

dance for a cause and rock it.....

Author: Shyam Krishnan B. from Kochi, India
3 August 2012

I have always been a step up fan from the first one..with my personal favorite being the second one.I went to watch this after reading all the negative reviews,but after watching it ...i have to say it was awesome....just the whole dance and music will keep u on your seats frustrated enough to get up and dance....who cares about the storyline for an ultimate dance musical movie like step up...its all for fun for the adrenaline rush ....still this time they introduced concept dancing of a cause and it does make sense...it has a point in it and that was good...all the way it is surely a movie for all the step up fans who loves dance and music and a hell lot of fun mixed with it.....

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]