IMDb > American Hustle (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
American Hustle

American Hustle More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 74: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Godfather meets The Sting

Author: bobbythefish from United States
22 December 2013

American Hustle is a stunning epic with a repeat cast from the Silver Linings Playbook, is perfectly paced film that lets the viewer in on just enough of the joke to feel smart enough to be engrossed, but not so much that anyone could say "I saw that coming." While both a dramatic tour de force and a comedic parody, this film has all the grip of Godfather I or II which ever you favor. This stellar cast delivers A Sorkin-like plot with the comedic aplomb of an Apatow spoof, and left me wanting more. The genius of the script is that one can be empathizing with anyone of the main characters even while they have competing and opposites agenda.

Hated it!

Author: Sarasilien from United States
23 December 2013

I cannot guess what people see in this film. The four main actors come off like kids playing dress-up. Only Louis C.K., DeNiro, and other members of the supporting cast come out of this looking like pros at work. This might have been acceptable had the film been a comedy, but at a pace of one laugh per 20-30 minutes, it's not. Instead, it's a long, slow, unpleasant grind that mostly goes nowhere. Yes, there moments of genuine intensity, and yes, the final 15 minutes or so go quite well, but for nearly two hours of running time the only thing keeping me in the theater was the fact that my wife didn't want to leave. This film is way, way overrated; wait for the DVD so you won't feel too cheated when you give up in disgust.

Great Cast .. but thats about it

Author: Surf G from Australia
16 December 2013

The biggest puzzle for me was the fact that's its nominated for a best Comedy or Musical for the Golden globes.No way its a musical purely based on the choice of background songs , so it is it a comedy? To me there were very few funny moments.May be Christian Bales' big fat belly and Bradley Cooper's pink curlers were among the things that put a smile on my face but there were not many jokes or enough hilarious scenes to prompt it a comedy nudge. Amy Adams is very provocative .Lots of cleavage, side boobs, legs and a lot of skin. The movie often felt long and boring at points. Overall David O. Russell just hired all the actors he has worked with in the past (All really talented actors)and just let them all do their bits. Its a good movie but its not a Great movie !

Great performances in a mediocre, poorly paced and written film

Author: Yumpin Yimany from United States
20 December 2013

Frankly, the movie itself does not live up to its hype. I never was fully engaged with any character even though it takes more than enough time and delivers a tedious and often painstaking pace. Honestly, it felt to me like the film dragged and that the ending would never arrive. Even though not fully engaged and not empathetic towards any character depicted, there is enough style that I somehow cared about how the story ended. Every scene seemed to me like an exercise in an acting class. It feels like a professor took a group of talented actors and gave them this over-the-top 1970's assignment. Everyone gets an "A" because they are that good but it barely felt like a coherent film to me. It's like their assignment included constant references to try and deliver a "Goodfellas" type tone without having a script to back it up. The events of the conclusion were so easy to spot that I'm sure most everyone will see it coming a mile away.

Overall, interesting but there is far less substance than I was expecting. I have to say this was a let down.

Not what you think it is

Author: jordanjbarta from The States
21 December 2013

The movie wasn't good. It was long, boring and the plot barely kept me awake. This is coming from a man that loves almost every movie he sees. Should have cut the movie to a little bit shorter with more of a 'bang' at the end. The 'bang' at the end was tiny.

This has nothing to do with the actors. The actors did a great job portraying their roles! It was fun to see the main actors be in different roles for a change. Bummer to hear that Christian Bale got a herniated disk in his back because he gained so much weight and had terrible posture. I was upset that it was a bust. The marketing that the company did for the movie was over the top. It looks pretty dang good from what I saw on TV. I don't know how this movie could be rated so high on here and rotten tomatoes. Still a little upset.

The most overrated film of all time?

Author: Doomblade
26 March 2014

In Spain, this film was released under the title 'La Gran Estafa Americana', which translates to 'The Great American Fraud', and that's exactly how I felt about it upon leaving the theatre.

10 Oscar nominations for a film that gets boring 1 hour in, is at least 30 minutes too long, and presents us with characters, dialogues and plot events that are trying way too hard to come across as complex and intriguing, but that instead end up feeling irritatingly empty, superficial, unrealistic, and plain boring.

And as if this weren't enough, we get over-the-top performances by pretty much the entire cast (which is admittedly great, at least on paper), and excessive hype surrounding Bale's physical transformation for the role, which is not only completely redundant in terms of plot, but is far less impressive than what he has us accustomed to (if you don't understand what I mean, watch 'The Machinist' and then see him in the film he shot literally 6 months later, 'Batman Begins').

What exactly was all the hype about? And the excellent critic reviews? And the award nominations? A real disappointment of a film, especially after O. Russell's solid 'The Fighter' and excellent 'Silver Linings Playbook'.

Waste of Time

Author: Jeremy Dickens from London
17 February 2014

Incredibly boring and horribly predictable.

I was looking forward to this film simply because of Christian Bale, I'm a great fan of his. But just about everything in the film made it feel cheap and tacky. From the hair to the costumes, lines, plot etc. You kind of watch the film in the hope that it will become interesting. But half way through everything becomes predictable. Real shame, think it was the wrong actors, wrong script...just wrong everything !....... ...... ..... ... ........ ......... ....... .... .......... ...... ..... ... ........ ......... ....... .... ........... ...... ..... ... ........ ......... ....... .... ........... ...... ..... ... ........ ......... ....... .... ........... ...... ..... ... ........ ......... ....... .... ....

Not that impressed either

Author: adach from San Francisco, CA
2 February 2014

I don't' write the reviews all that often, but I think that this time it's worth it, as in my opinion the quality of this movie is highly misrepresented in the existing reviews, both professional ones and also a lot of those created by the viewers (with the admirable exception of the he most recent reviews on IMDb!),

It's not necessarily that it's a terrible movie, but it's certainly not as good as it's being portrayed. The visuals are really quite good, but the movie itself failed to keep my attention. I found myself not caring much about what's going on and how it's going to end, and only barely resisted looking at my watch closer to the end of its, rather hefty considering the amount of punch it packs (or lack thereof), running time.

Perhaps my expectations were to high, but I really left the movie theater disappointed...

Not what I was expecting

Author: O Prillaman from United States
2 February 2014

I went into this movie solely because I really enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook and David O. Russell's direction. However, I was disappointed beyond belief. This movie was too long, boring, awkward, and overall, terrible. The only reason I gave it two stars instead of one was Jennifer Lawrence. She carried the movie, with the 30 minutes she's in the film. Her lines made me laugh, and made the movie bearable so that I didn't walk out. Her acting was good, and the director allowed her to be as funny as her real personality, Christian Bale was good as his character as well as Lawrence, but the direction and script were not on par. I would not go see this movie again, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

In love with itself and has conned the critics to follow suit

Author: Neil Pattinson from United Kingdom
26 January 2014

Such was the disparity between my wife and my views with that of the critics that I was compelled to join IMDb and write this review. It was overlong with too much dialogue and with performances that seemed self aware, apart from jennifer lawrence to be fair. The plot was thin and drawn out, pace was too slow and you really struggled to care about anyone in it. Don't waste your money or, even more importantly for those like us with kids who rarely get a cinema night, don't waste your time! I have no idea why the critics have gone overboard on this or how anyone can give it any higher than a rating of 5 or at a push 6. To balance off the bizarrely high ratings on here and to try to save others like me who checked the score on here first (7.8 at the time I looked) I have given it a score of 1. Avoid...