IMDb > "The Inbetweeners" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Inbetweeners" More at IMDbPro »

Major fail of a remake.

Author: nb3550 from Longford, Ireland
8 September 2012

There is only two words all together in the world to describe the Inbetweeners USA.And those words are lazy and stupid.As a huge fan of the original version I am very annoyed at this.When I first saw the trailer for this show I was thinking this has to be the biggest piece of crap of the year.I was wrong.It is the biggest piece of crap in at least 5 years.

In an interview the cast of the remake quoted they took the jokes from the original and americanized them or something like that.But when I watched the pilot all the jokes,lines,situations etc were the exact same as the original.Some people might ask If the jokes are the same than what's there to complain about?Well using the exact same jokes and lines just shows laziness, IN-creativity and more off a reason why a US remake was just pointless.

The acting is really bad.I mean Paris Hilton bad.And the characters are monstrous compared to the original characters. Jay's voice is really annoying and he's tremendously overweight.Simon and Will look like the Jonas Brothers.And Neil(who was my favorite character in the original) looks like a stoner.In the original Neil was funny stupid.In the US version he's stupid stupid. I'm not hating on American's or anything like that but it's about time they start making up new idea's for comedy's instead of remaking British ones and ruining them.To sum it up."If it's not broken then don't fix it".

Disgraceful

Author: ethan_3000 from United Kingdom
24 September 2012

I really don't understand the reason of making this at all. I find it quite insulting that anyone would even try and match the original programme. No disrespect to American broadcasting but the ultimate question is why? The cast is overall weird and the programme is poorly acted and constructed, ad least try and re brand it but do things different instead of trying to copy the original series directly. Oveall this is not worth watching and another season probably wont be made.

Its just overall insulting and even the preview on here and especially you-tube people were already annoyed with this programme.

Oh My GOD!!!

Author: enzopert from United Kingdom
26 October 2012

I do not even know where to begin...let's just say i watched the first episode and in order to erase it from memory (tried but it was so bad that nothing good could do it) i watched all 3 seasons and the movie of the original... What on earth they were thinking before they made this! I mean OK fine let's make a US version but surely to copy the UK one at times line by line then make a total (in words of Simon) Sh*t, is beyond me.

I am hearing there might be a US movie version on the horizon but for the love of god, hope this does not happen!!!

Just to summarize, do not waste your time watching this, the first episode was so bad that i very much doubt this can possibly get better with more!

Underreboot..

Author: AnnBabeth from France
11 September 2012

The description says that this series is based on the UK version of "The Inbetweeners". In each episode I actually look for the differences...it's the same story, same everything but in the US. I don't even think they made an effort to translate British teenagers problem into American teenagers problems (cf the car...) It has its moment and yes I laughed to one or two lines but only probably because I did not remember it from the UK version... I think its a shame, how the names are the same, how everything is the same... I pretty sure, its the same lines and so far the UK actors were better... UK version rules - US version sucks...

Its SO bad! by far the worst TV show iv ever seen

Author: dan310886 from UK
18 September 2012

Watched the trailer and just knew it was awful! got half way through first episode and HAD to switch over was shocking someone can make something so bad and think that's comedy i can't imagine the type of person that would sit and laugh to that, the acting is shocking and its the UK one nearly word for word except they have taken all the best most funny bits and changed it to this camp American humor. Jay is fat and looks retarded, Neil with long hair ha no way and wills no were near geeky looking enough MTV really need to stop trying to copy outer programs history shows that it just doesn't work at all.

I like the original and most of my favorite shows are made in America but every single British show they remake they go all wrong with it and this is just another one to add to the forever growing flop list.

.......

Painful to Watch

Author: ssimon55 from United States
4 April 2014

As a fan of the original UK show, I wasn't expecting much, but I never expected it to be this horrible. The acting is just terrible. It's like none of these kids took an acting lesson in their life & just spit out the lines - that were almost word for word rehashed from the original. I couldn't even finish watching the first episode it was so bad.

The main problem with the show other than it was a poor excuse for a copy of the original & the bad acting, was the characters were very unlikeable. Will had no personality, Simon always had a weird expression on his face like he was trying to take a crap, Jay looked a fat, retarded kid, Neil looked & acted like a stoner & Carli couldn't act if her life depended on it. It's no wonder this was cancelled after one season. Do yourself a favor and watch the original on Hulu - you won't be disappointed.

Complete and utter load of s**t

Author: emmamariemerry from Ireland
12 August 2014

If I could give this 0 out of 10 I would! It's an absolute disgrace how they even Aired this and got views! I'm a massive fan of the British version and watched every episode of it a million times over! When I heard about the US remake I knew it was going to be a flop just like the rest of the remakes they tried e.g shameless, the office etc!

Every single joke down to the door on the car being removed has been copied and same with all of their sayings! They are nothing like the English characters, their portrayed completely wrong, there as as thick as f*ck and will the geeky one to me is portrayed as the best looking! They've tried to Americanize it and have failed very badly! Anybody who gives this show a thumbs up is American (which is no surprise).

If I could give anyone any advice I would say don't waste your time watching this b*ll*cks! You will get more entertainment by watching paint dry! Don't give them views, I hope this review helped ! I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me on this one, you will never ever be able to recreate comedy gold like the original!!!!

Pretty good... for a US remake

Author: poliskanin from England
28 June 2014

The Inbetweeners (UK) is a great show, and is fine entertainment containing hilarious comedic moments. The show is one of the greatest things on the TV, and it's British, so yeah. Apparently, Americans have some crazy idea that British TV other than "Doctor Who" isn't good enough for them. This has lead them to make multiple terrible remakes of British TV shows. Whenever I hear of an American remake, I run straight to the church and pray. However, the American remake of the inbetweeners is not as terrible as many other American remakes. The US Inbetweeners may be far from the quality of it's British source material, but is not terrible. I applaud the creators of this show for not f*cking up entirely like many other American remakes go, but still do not believe that this is a good TV series.

For me it's a 'fail'

Author: nvitchev from London, UK
26 October 2012

I have seen all of the episodes so far and can't think of anything decent about this show.

In my opinion the show doesn't know what it wants to be, on the one hand it is a word for word recreation of an already popular show (which is lazy), on the other hand, the newly created scenes are far fetched and poorly executed. Neither works fpr several reasons. Firstly, the actors are very poor - the UK one worked because the characters were created around the actors strengths. Also in the UK the characters are based on most 17 year old boys which is easier for the actors to relate to, in this version the characters are absurd caricatures.

Secondly, the story lines are far fetched and highly contrived, whereas in the original, though exaggerated, are realistic.

As far as positives, Simon comes out OK, unlike the creepy pe@d0phi1e Jay, dull and stoned Neil, and nervous, robotic, will. Also the women are better looking, although again the cast of the original represent popular sixth-formers more closely.

Overall interesting to see but a terrible show. Avoid!

Give it a few episodes

Author: tiger-nation from United Kingdom
25 September 2012

I'm a massive fan of our (UK) Inbetweeners so I went into the remake fearing the worst. After the first episode, those fears seemed valid. The casting isn't great, Will's too good looking, Neil is appalling and Jay is fat. The first episode is pretty much a direct copy and the actors are very uncomfortable in the roles.

For whatever reason, I decided to stick with it and I'm glad I did. It helps that episodes 2 & 3 are copies of my two favourite episodes from the original Inbetweeners but the acting is more natural and there's just enough new material to put a proper US spin on the show and to start to develop it's own identity.

The next couple of episodes are brand new. Episode 4 is the best of the run so far. It feels like a US TV Show but retains the characteristics of what made it such a hit in the first place. The Inbetweeners isn't Dawson's Creek or the like. It doesn't flit between near disaster and happy ever after. It's about those things that happen in every day life to normal people. Those fleeting moments of joy, sorrow and sheer embarrassment.

I think this show has got promise. i hope the trigger happy network execs give it a chance to grow.