IMDb > "The Lying Game" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Lying Game"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Lying Game" More at IMDbPro »

My first impressions of the Lying Game

Author: billtrav from United States
30 August 2011

Unlike some of the reviewers, I have not read any of the books, so I have started watching this series with no expectations. Since I was already a fan of Pretty Little Liars, I thought I would give this show a chance. I'm gland I did. I have seen the first three shows, and I'm hooked. I love the mystery and the characters. There are already characters I'm cheering for and characters I don't like. But even the ones I don't like have added a richness to the show that makes it even more credible. All of the actors seem to be talented and there is a chemistry that is a must for a show to succeed. I recommend the the Lying Game. It looks as if you have one of the best shows of the new season. Good luck.

Got me hooked!

Author: priguj04 from Mauritius
9 January 2012

Pretty girls.Hot guys.Drama.Mystery.Suspense.A long lost twin.

Could this get any better?! It's like a suspense-thriller version of gossip girl. Who wouldn't like that? To me, sure the first episode is kinda slow....

but i gave it another chance and watched it. Got me hooked right away! At the end of each episode am like, munching on my nails, wanting to know what happens next! The suspense kills me!!

The actress, Alexandra Chando, knows how to play both of her roles of Sutton and Emma really well. The story line is well planned out. The script is teen-understandable. All in all, I think it's a package! Gonna keep on following! :D

Great Show, Lots of Suspense

Author: timanter30
29 August 2011

It was a great show, so far of the 2 episodes I've seen. There's already secrets just flying around everywhere. It's truly got me hooked.

I'm sure Pretty Little Liars fans will love this one. It's another drama which will keep you up at night with the mysteries.

I've read the book too, and it's also spectacular. To all the people who've read the book and give the show a bad review cause it doesn't relate, don't just hate on the show cause there's no relation to the book. It's stupid to give it a one-star review cause it's "nothing like the book". Pretend you never read the book, get nothing to compare it to, and your opinion will change. Trust me.

This show is amazing with all the elements of a teen drama: -Pretty Girls -Hot Guys -Secrets/Gossip I think "The Lying Game" has truly hit its target audience. The parents may not enjoy it, but trust me, the teens will. With fun humor and great mystery, this show is definitely on my watch list.

Love this show... addicting!

Author: PrincessPeachx from United States
17 January 2013

I struggled for a long time on whether or not to give The Lying Game a chance. I had been a fan of Pretty Little Liars since the start and always heard it was the better show between the two.... but that is so wrong!

The Lying Game is great, fast paced, interesting, complex, mysterious, and much more.

In my opinion, it is FAR superior to PLL: better direction, writing, actors, situations, mysteries, and more. It doesn't take THREE YEARS to find out one mystery, and doesn't leave crater-sized plot holes.

Don't get me wrong, I love PLL, but let's be honest, it has more negative aspects to it than positives. TLG is really well-rounded and progresses at a quick pace, unlike PLL that drags on without giving many answers.

PLL is now halfway through season 3 and there are STILL unanswered questions from season one. That's ridiculous.

I know a lot of people think that TLG is the "lesser" of the two shows, and I thought that initially (before I even started watching it), but really... give it a chance. It's soooo good. I thought I would be bored and disappointed with it, but I love it and latched onto it super quick, whereas I sort of had to force myself to get interesting in PLL for a couple episodes.

I always don't drift off into boredom and find things to look at online, unlike what I do EVERY episode of PLL.

Anyway, this post wasn't meant to bash PLL at all. Just thought I'd give my two-cents because I feel like people push TLG aside without giving it a chance. Figured I would recommend it to anyone looking to watch a show similar to PLL but that won't leave you disappointed.

This show gets you hooked!

Author: kdl277 from United States
6 September 2011

This show is great. It has a great story line and it keeps you wondering what is going to happen next.

I really hope they do not cancel this show. I think it maybe just premiered at a weird time during the summer where people weren't on the lookout for new shows.

Seriously everyone should catch up on it though. The acting from the main character it great. She really does a great job playing both roles and keeping there personalities different.

I definitely think this show is the new pretty little liars!

Definitely check this out!

Pleasant surprise

Author: terrsgc from United States
29 August 2011

I've checked the spoiler warning just to be safe, but there there's nothing really all that revealing in this review.

At this time, only two episodes have aired. So, my opinion may change further down the road. You can prefix most of my opinions with "so far ...". And, I'm going to leave off the star rating for now.

When they advertised that this was by the same author as Pretty Little Liars, I wasn't going to bother watching it. But, when I saw they were airing both episodes in a row last week, I thought, "Ah, what the heck?". And, so far, I'm glad I did. The mystery is intriguing, and the writing well thought-out. Unlike Pretty Little Liars, the show has only one main character who's POV we follow. I find this far better when the story is a mystery with a lot of plot-twists. There may be some parental concern over certain plot elements, such as a pair of otherwise-nice parents that are fully suspect in the mystery, another parent who's an alcoholic, and yet another parent (possilbly also an alcoholic) who is a horrible bully. There is also one major protagonist who's a bit of a 'mean girl', and the show paints a rather dismal picture of the foster care system in Nevada. I find all of these far less of an issue for kids than certain elements of Pretty Little Liars, such as Aria's love interest.

As I write this, there have been four other reviews, two positive, and two negative. I noted that the basis of both negative reviews is entirely how poorly the show follows the books. If this is important to you, then you will probably be disappointed in the show. Otherwise, I think you'll find this one is worth giving a shot.

Excellent show Abc Family,Well Done!

Author: ronaldmccallum43 from United States
23 September 2012

This is one of the best shows that i have ever seen!There is so much mystery to it and it leaves you with an cliff hanger after each episode.Unlike Pretty Little Liars,This show gets down to the bottom of things and it doesn't keep you guessing.I hope this show goes on for many seasons because it has so much potential.Thank you Abc Family for renewing this show and this show is so underrated.Alexandra Chando does a very excellent job of playing Sutton and Emma and the cast is wonderful also.It great show and i would recommend this to anyone who loves mystery,romance,lies and betrayal.Keep up the good job Abc Family because this show is here to stay and a keeper!

This show is amazing!!

Author: iloveUGA123 from United States
11 January 2012

If you like Pretty Little Iars then you'll love this, because it's another teen drama. I started watching this show because I was bored one night, and just wanted to try it out, but now I'm hooked!! The only problem I do have with this show is that the whole concept of this daughter that you have raised for around 18 years vanishes, and her twin takes her place, while she goes and looks for their mother. Now, you would think that the parents would recognize that that is not their daughter, because twins might look a lot a like, but if you know them well enough, then you can always tell the difference between the two. Well, the parents don't and it's season 2 now, and they still don't!! I'm still giving this show 10 stars because it is fictional, and is real, but still, sometimes I think to myself, what if my parents didn't recognize me after raising me for almost 18 years???? I would still recommend watching it because it's really good, and it is fictional, so they can make it however they want!

Not really doing it for me.

Author: skider from United States
19 August 2011

The last episode I watched.. I was just shocked at how many things were so dramatic, but in real life, nobody would care. I guess I just don't buy it at all. This girl like vanishes.. your wondering where she is.. lol then boom. "Oh nothing happened, I just had a cellphone the whole time and decided not to even call". Seriously? Who in this situation wouldn't even make a phone call. She has her twin sister posing as her when nobody knows she has a twin.. And she doesn't think it might be a good idea to respond to her?

You lost me after that.

The 4 out of 10 is because the actresses are all very hot, and they can act well.

interesting premise but degenerates into convoluted mess

Author: SnoopyStyle
18 September 2013

Emma Becker (Alexandra Chando) is a harassed poor foster kid who didn't know she has an identical twin sister Sutton Mercer who was adopted by a wealthy family. While Sutton goes in search for their birth mother, Emma is pressed into replacing her in her rich privilege life.

The interesting premise didn't always make sense. A lot of the storyline seems to twist itself into a pretzel to keep Emma in her new life. And then when Sutton returns, the constant switching back and forth makes it harder to keep the characters straight. And the mystery just got more and more complicated until it became unwatchable. By the second season, the storyline degenerates. Then it got canceled.