IMDb > "The Playboy Club" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Playboy Club" More at IMDbPro »

Better than expected !

Author: mitchwatt2 from Australia
21 September 2011

When I started watching The Playboy Club I wasn't very hopeful... I was expecting a dodgy half baked drama with girls running around topless... I found the pilot plot Interesting, maybe a tad cliché, but it is a pilot after all! You can't expect miracles.

Admittedly the dialogue was a little rough and amateurish but it feels like it's heading in some interesting directions and will get better over time. Strangely the secondary story line between Alice and her husband seems far more interesting to me.

As for the comparisons to Mad Men I don't think they are in any way fair. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Personally, I think it's much more interesting than half of the television shows some channels are pumping out.

Definitely worth watching for the first few episodes to see where it goes.

Fun show

Author: daxdsnine from Canada
27 September 2011

I watched the premiere out of curiosity, and I was surprised to find a show that is both interesting and done in a very tasteful manner. I was worried about the depiction of female characters (for obvious reasons), but they are not depicted as simple sexual objects. On the contrary, these characters are shown as intelligent, independent, and resourceful.

Only two episodes aired to this day, but the potential for character development is there. The show manages to have some social and political themes, plus there is a bit of mystery, music, and humour.

The various actresses and actors (all people I didn't know) do a good job. I especially like Amber Heard, as Maureen (the main female character), Leah Renee Cudmore, and guest star Sean Maher.

Conclusion: it is a pretty decent show (and it changes from all the procedurals who stick to their unmovable, predictable, recipe).

Fabulous and Smart! One of the best new shows of the Season!

Author: GoddessCeCe from USA
23 September 2011

I am not at all sure what the other posters are watching, but to say this show is boring is completely off the mark. Then again, I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

An incredibly beautiful and quite talented cast tells the story of the Playboy Club, Hef's legendary Bunny-laden gentleman's club, circa 1963. In a time when the average woman was expected to be very domestic and agreeable, the Playboy Club profiles smart, sassy, intelligent women. The gorgeous & talented Amber Heard plays Maureen, a new Bunny who is the club's latest cigarette girl. She finds herself being aggressively cornered by a slimy client who tries to have his way with her. This event leads to what is sure to be the season's story, and I'm not going to spoil it by revealing the details, but let's say that it's a heavy burden for the sweet and, until now, rather innocent Bunny to carry.

Eddie Cibrian plays Nick Dalton, a former mobster-turned-up-and-coming attorney who stumbles upon Maureen's dilemma and becomes embroiled in assisting her. His ties to his old "family" pose quite a problem for a man trying to leave that life behind.

Then there's Laura Benanti who is intriguing as Carole Lynne, an aging Bunny with a superiority complex and also Dalton's current love interest.

In a period of mundane television where so many shows are alike, The Playboy Club shines like a diamond on a jewel-encrusted pair of bunny ears. The rest of the cast is great as well and each one has a story to tell. The character development is going to be a treat to watch. Several sub-plots with secondary characters have already been started, and I'm very much looking to see where it goes.

The Playboy Club is the cure for the common, boring, cookie-cutter, dumb-sitcom or annoying-reality show. If you enjoy smart writing, great acting and period dramas (like Mad Men, but way sexier), then you should definitely check this show out.

I give it a 9... out of 10.

Loved it!

Author: kat12986 from United States
21 September 2011

I honestly loved it. I love Amber Heard, the main girl. She's one of my favorite up and coming actresses. I thought Eddie Cibrian was amazing too. David Krumhotlz portrayed the uptight jerk of a manager pretty well. There was a murder (accidental)before the first commercial break! There's a lot of drama. I think it's definitely more geared to women surprisingly. I don't think my husband would like it. It's mostly the life of the bunnies, which would appeal more to women. I don't know. I don't think you should watch it or not watch it based on someone else's review. If you want to watch, watch it and find out for yourself if it's your kind of show.

Refreshing Show

Author: ianfitzgerald from Reno, Nevada
28 September 2011

A refreshing show who's plot is not in a courtroom, law enforcement's building, hospital, or on a reality stage (like we don't have enough of those already). Great story lines, a cast that is not over-rated, and refreshing new faces.

Emphasizing the historical aspect of the show - being the first playboy club in the nation in Chicago - the story lines tackle homosexual ideologies, racial inequalities, criminal underlying in businesses and government, and the social divide that existed in the 60's, and in many cases still exist today!

I have seen many of the new pilots this year, and non compare to the Playboy Club.

Pleasantly surprised by this show, maybe it' actually more for a female audience?

Author: jmb286-177-784931 from US
4 October 2011

This show definitely started off to a rocky start, but the more we see of all of the supporting cast, and all the other girl's stories, the better it gets. All of the women thus far are charming, and the new inclusion of Cassidy Freeman is fantastic (she was one of he best actors on Smallville). I'm also very intrigued to find out where the "in the closet support group" is going. I'm finding that pretty fascinating, and it's being handled very well. Both The Playboy Club, and Pan-Am seem to be geared more towards women, and there empowerment, but i'd argue that the playboy club is a little more "fun" to enjoy. I truly hope the show stays adrift, and encourage you to watch!

I actually liked the show! I will miss it!

Author: tonyamhughes from Texas
23 October 2011

I actually liked the show and wished they did not cancel it! I wish another network would pick it up. It does not matter to me if it really happened or not it had a good story line. It is ashame that people do not see that despite the exploitation that is what it was like back then to some degree! whatever I will miss it! People liked Mad Men but they do not like the playboy bunny club. The characters were just getting interesting. I could not wait to find out more about the relationship of the lead bunny. I could not wait to see the relationships unfold and characters develop more. I really hope another network picks up the show and it will continue!!

Great Show

Author: Magdalena Jovanova from Macedonia
21 September 2011

I think that the show was excellent! It was tensed and interesting till the end, and looks very promising. The cast is great, and not just Edie Cibrian. Maybe there are too many plots and mysteries, so I can not wait to watch another episode of it. I Like the 1960's theme and the outfit of the bunnies is so fit to the timing. I can tell that the main character bunny Morrean has a lot to offer for the show, and that these two will get in love or something. Anyway, can't wait! I think that the show was excellent! It was tensed and interesting till the end, and looks very promising. The cast is great, and not just Edie Cibrian. Maybe there are too many plots and mysteries, so I can not wait to watch another episode of it. I Like the 1960's theme and the outfit of the bunnies is so fit to the timing. I can tell that the main character bunny Morrean has a lot to offer for the show, and that these two will get in love or something. Anyway, can't wait!

I LOVED The Playboy Club

Author: lila reynolds from Canada
12 October 2011

I'm really upset that this show was cancelled. What do we have to do to get it back on the air? - I don't care where, just get it back on the air. What did I love about The Playboy Club? - The plot was great, - there was great music, - I loved the intrigue - I loved the nostalgia - I thought the depiction of Chicago in the early '60's was really good - I believed that the show had a great storyline - I believed that the show had enormous potential - I believed the show had great acting

Is there another network or cable provider that could pick this show up and continue to run with it? I think NBC made a huge mistake by dropping this show.

Should have been given a better chance

Author: Maniac-9 from St. Louis, MO
30 March 2012

The show had a few faults but not enough to warrant a cancellation after only 7 episodes, NBC never really gave it a chance to last. If the show had debuted on AMC, FX, HBO or any cable network it would have been allowed a better chance to build an audience. But nowadays networks assume that if you don't instantly have a 10% share of its time slot right off the bat that it's a failure and there's no point in even going on with the show. Which is a ridiculous way of trying to build and cultivate new shows for a channel.

The show had very beautiful ladies in the roles as the playmates, most notably Amber Heard who's drop dead gorgeous. With her appearance in The Rum Diary with Johnny Depp she should have a bright future ahead of her.