IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 24: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Bring me more!

Author: Jim Powell from United States
29 December 2011

This is the first show in a long time that I've watched that's made me say "Oh my gosh" out loud in my living room. I was always told to watch "24" but I wasn't able...this show feels a lot like what I think "24" probably would have felt like. I recently read that it was one of the best new shows this year so I watched all 12 episodes on demand. Thankfully I was able to get this show completed in two days. I don't think I could ever wait to see what happens if I had to wait a week between episodes.

The entire cast is great. Clare Danes does an amazingly great job with a complex character. Damian Lewis also does a great job with another complex character. Their chemistry when on the screen together is apparent.

This is a well-written, smart, ever-changing who done it kind of show. Not only is it well acted, but I find it keeps the mind engaged. I look forward to more "oh my gosh" moments in the second season.

Great Show.. Fair,Impartial "as a Muslim"

Author: alattawi90 from Bahrain
6 January 2013

I don't know where to start,as a Muslim i'm fully aware that western media can't resist to show us as a terrorist, but once i watched Homeland, i realized that days are finally over.. I must say, the people who worked on homeland prepare for it very very well, it's obvious that they look up about what really Islam is ,islam's doctrine, i must thank them from my heart "at least for now " The show in unbelievably awesome, great cast, i bet if that was a movie, at least 6 actors\actresses will get nomination for academy award, and damn yeah claire danes will win for sure.. i must take the opportunity to praise Mandy Patinkin for his great performance, he really touch you as saul berenston.. the other people i want to praise are Damian Lewis,Morgan Saylor, David harewood and rupert friend, these people made great impression on the screen that is not easy to get over.. I love This Show and i can't wait till Season 3 get start, Because it get it all in one show,as life lessons: love, sacrifice, betrayal, it shows how it is hard to start over your dirty past, how the community you live in response with that ... etc As a show: homeland is thriller, suspense, romance and drama .. what the person seeks more in a TV show ? waiting for season 3 on fire...

How did this show win an Emmy and a Golden Globe???????

Author: jeremyyoung-jay from US
25 September 2012

Honestly this show is the first thing that's compelled me to write a review. I'd like to consider myself a well educated film goer. And after I finished breaking bad, weeds, game of thrones I needed something new to get into. Being that Homeland had just won an Emmy I was like "oh yea i remember seeing previews for that show last year, apparently it's pretty good". And apparently people are just as dumb and poorly educated as I thought.

The first two or three episodes honestly had me intrigued, then the further I delved into the monotonous garbage can that is homeland the more I hated life. Being that this series has been praised by basically everyone, each episode leaves you with the hope that something monumental will happen eventually. But the plot lines are just sooooo slowly formed you never get any sense of suspense or anxiety or anything that makes you tell your friends "If you haven't seen this, rethink your life". The dialogue sucks, and Claire Danes honestly just affirms the point that women should never ever be involved with operational security. She comes off as pathetic and absolutely insane. Probably during the 8th episode I thought to myself "ohhhhh I get it now the entire writing crew is smoking crack and watching re-runs of 24". THe most confusing part of the whole movie was why in the world does Claire Danes Begin to lust after an alleged terrorist? She's like some queen B CIA agent but no wait she also a female and clearly completely irrational and crazy in the grand scheme of things. She's obviously hott and semi-promiscuous and would have little to no problem at all finding a post deployment military man in D.C., It's just non-sensical garbage.

All in all I really can't recommend that anyone watch this series. I felt that it was very poorly executed and has an underlying statement of "just shut up and watch." Honestly it really could have been good too. As another Reviewer said...... it should've have been a movie or at least just a 4 part miniseries. Or maybe half hour episodes instead of a hour each. I gave it 3 out 10 because like I said it was semi- watchable in the first few episodes. But its just soooo anti-climactic towards the end. It gets drawn out in the sense that some of the episodes simply leaves you with the yearning for some kind of gun fight or action in any form. But no, the only plot development we get in having to ponder how the hell did this woman become a CIA agent. Unbearable....................also i really wanted to to see Brody blow himself up and like the 30 other people but they couldn't even deliver that.

After two Episodes Homeland shows promise: Can show use Lewis effectively?

Author: clotblaster from United States
17 October 2011

Damian Lewis is a strong candidate for best male actor in English speaking countries today. If you've not seen him in Life, you are missing not just consistently excellent performances by him, but also a great show that was stupidly cancelled after only two seasons. In Homeland he is playing a totally different character and though it looks easy to some, his character calls for emotionally repressed, possibly anguished man and it's very hard to bury emotions, whether as an act or as real.

I've only seen the first two episodes, but that's all that have come out so far. I think and hope this show will evolve in a dramatically compelling direction and that it doesn't waste the incredible talent of Mr. Lewis. I recommend this show, broadcast on Showtime without commercials and all episodes available as they come out on In Demand, at least from my cable company. I have given 8 because they're are some plausibility problems, but like much in fiction, cinema or book, the viewer/reader must suspend his sense of disbelief and take the reality of the show as it presents itself. I see problems with too much unreality as the show progresses, but the writers and producers seem to set on verisimilitude, not far-out, over-the-top versions of the so-called real world.

definitely the best drama this year

Author: smfilm from United States
17 October 2011

Inventive drama...

Claire Danes breaking new territory as a convincingly psychologically broken field agent... She is simply great.

Damian Lewis comes through again. He always does, but the last couple of times he got some tough breaks... most notably the new style cop program Life, which was very good but doomed by not selling quite enough commercial time on network TV.

A new twist on the post 9/11 WOT drama genre.... internet haters come out, but their criticisms are weak and overreaching.... Homeland is riveting from the start.... can't wait to see where it goes.... highly recommended.

If only network TV could keep up with SHO, HBO, and all the other cable guys who are kicking creative tail every time.

Worst show I have ever seen.

Author: Ballzdeeper from United States
23 August 2013

Complete garbage...

Completely unrealistic. (do all of our soldiers turn into terrorists over collateral damage? Don't think so.) would the CIA hire a psycho and not know it? Definitely not. Their background checks are quite thorough.

Terrible plot holes. "i know Brody did it... I counted his ammo" but the writers are too dumb to remember that we have already seen him use more than the ammo they show missing.

If that wasn't enough, Claire Danes wriggling chin, big fat lips contorting into disgusting faces and her maniacal screaming episode after episode make this show completely unwatchable.

The industry is clearly a joke, because the only award this show should win is a cancellation.

Jaw dropping

Author: Piyush Gupta
7 November 2011

I am watching a few new shows this season. I wanted to say this after just one episode but I was waiting to see if Showtime's "Homeland" is just one episode wonder. But after five back to back rocking episodes this is undeniable fact that HOMELAND is the show to watch out for this season. Homeland is developed by Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa, based on the Israeli series Hatufim(Prisoners of War) created by Gideon Raff. The series stars Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison, a CIA operations officer who has come to believe that an American Marine, who was held captive by Al-Qaeda as a prisoner of war, was turned by the enemy and now poses a significant risk to national security.

When this season was starting, Person of Interest was the show I had most hopes from. Why ? Well, firstly it is created by Jonathan Nolan and it featured one of my favorite TV actors Michael Emerson (Lost fame). Also it prompted CBS to move CSI in over 10 years to a new time slot. That is definitely something. This show is also awesome but homeland is on an altogether another level.

As far as Homeland goes, I had hopes but not too much because it had producers from "24". Don't get me wrong, I loved watching 24. Despite that I have to admit the show was quite over the top and had one man saving America over and over again every year. Homeland had a few similarities in terms of one hero (Claire Daines) trying to prove that other guy is wrong etc. etc. but this time they have done that much more subtly. Also she has her own set of problems to deal with and is not the "whitest" person around. The office politics even in a CIA office is done wonderfully. Now if they just let their writers to continue to flex their muscles this show will shine for a long time.

The strength of the show also lies in the superlative acting by the cast. Casting of both Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison and Damien Lewis as Nick Brody is perfect. The character of "Saul", played brilliantly by Mandy Patinkin, plays the figurative father to the hero. Morena Baccarin also plays her part with ease. Other supporting actors are also good. If you are looking to see a gripping thriller with incredible characters, you are at the right place. Enjoy !!

Mesmerizing

Author: larsyxa from Sweden
5 November 2011

To make it short. 30+ something hyper intelligent CIA officer with bipolar disorder (constantly under medication) blaming herself for 9/11, tries to redeem herself by uncovering a returned US marine captive conversion to Muslim terrorist?.

You pretty much get this clear during the first 2 episodes. Nicholas has been "away" for 8:ish years in some middle east country and is heroically rescued.

Clare Danes is a movie star but i think Carrie Mathison is her best character ever. To quote Craig Ferguson (during a sit down with Clare) "Its a very odd show...". Its hard to the describe it. Its straight forward a simple agency vs bad guys series, but its not.

Clare Danes has always been on my girls-I-wanna-meet-list, she just moved up to girls-I-wanna-marry-without-meeting-list (very short list 3 ;). Her performance is just dead on perfect.

P.S "I sense something, something i haven't felt since...." watching House for the first time.

Excellent Pilot, but Series?

Author: danielcheah from Malaysia
30 October 2011

I'm a big fan of a good pilot, that usually lets you picture what a series might turn out to be. I am skeptical as to whether such "terrorist-psycho-thriller" will make it in a TV series (drama). In truth, it is much more difficult to make it in a 2-3 season drama than to spin it as a 2hours movie. There is a tendency for such stories to end up being overly ludicrous. A little bit of controversy excites the audience, but when it is overly done, it becomes difficult for the writer to contain - and end it on a high note. Just ask Lost.

However with that skepticism in tact, I believe the pilot shows a lot of promise of what a good series this can turn out to be. From the pilot: I believe the script is brilliant, the acting is as good as it gets, and the premise of what the series is/will be centered on is top class. This is merely derived from the first episode. I wouldn't want to overrate this series, but it has the potential to be the first best "terrorist-psycho-thriller" series, or a nothing worth talking about.

Fingers crossed, and I for one, truly hope this ends well. Breaking bad is my favorite series of all time, and I for one hope this can come close.

Ridiculous!!! Producers should apologies to Lebanese people!

Author: chadys from Beirut
17 October 2012

I watched the first season of Homeland and I absolutely loved it. Couldn't wait to start the second season, but unfortunately, it started in Beirut! The scenes that the producers are projecting about Beirut is absolutely ridiculous!! It's far from the truth and makes me sick to even see our beloved capital portrayed in this disgusting manner ! It was misrepresentation at its most outrageous!!!

"The cars were those ancient and ropy Mercedes from central casting, but the reality is that there are probably more Porsche Cayennes per capita in Beirut than there are in Stuttgart.

Beirut airport looked like it was teleported to El Salvador, while the CIA's Carrie Mathison, played by Claire Danes, felt compelled to wear a hijab.

Yes, all the clichés were rolled out to ensure that Lebanon was portrayed as a hostile, western-hating and conservative Arab country. Why? Because that was the vibe the show's producers wanted."

The producers of the show should issue an official apology to Lebanon and its people for tarnishing the image of our capital! !

Hamra street is one of the main bloodlines of Beirut, full of restaurants, pubs and nightclubs, probably more than times square or union square. Terrorists don't run around shooting people and meeting hezbollah in the middle of Hamra street, portrayed as one small alley with very old peugeot cars parkes sideways. it's a shame producers don't spend a little more time researching a place before tarnishing the image of a country, just like that...