IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 28: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Bloated TV series, ruined by bad acting. Watch SNL skit instead

Author: Ulteriorme1
21 March 2016

Homeland is hit and miss TV, almost paralleling the traits of its protagonist, bi-polar in behavior. Any TV drama takes time to bed in, this one starts out well and goes down the drain mid season. In any good show one usually feels attached to the main characters, invested to some degree. For that characters need consistency to some extend or real motive to explain the discrepancies. Majority of characters on Homeland do not exhibit that. When you come to loathe and ridicule TV show characters, something has gone quite wrong.

Homeland starts out well. Dialogues like "F*&k the Pakistanis" give a credibility to the lead actor. NO matter what politicians say certain countries, their intelligence operations are not held in high regard by CIA/ FBI. That's a small scene but it tells you the lead woman, she has her bearings right. Then suddenly everything goes awry. It becomes a bad family drama, CIA operatives sleeping with terrorist suspects and what not.

Homeland Season 1 has maybe 2 or 3 characters worth following. Saul, another of CIA analyst and maybe even Mike. They have arcs which remain consistent. Everyone else, and especially lead characters Carrie and Brody vacillate a lot. Bipolar disorder is conveniently added to explain some of this but it becomes tiring soon after. If you like your main character to play CIA agent and cry, throw tantrums, disobey all the orders then you have a winner on hand. If you like a terrorist who for 6 episodes shows his contempt for the system and wants to do whatever he thinks is right and then chickens out at last minute, yes you have a show. If you need a perpetual 16 year old girl playing the bratty hormonal teenager, yes watch Homeland. These 3 characters ruin the show by taking huge chunk of time.

Homeland is a bloated TV series, season 1 + 2 could have been trimmed and made into 1. So much extra stuff that could been cut and good show been created. I would suggest one watch the SNL skit once they are half way through this TV series (Season 1). It will give an idea of what is to come next. Or skip this and move to better TV series out there.

Reviews may have missed the boat, (maybe the whole ocean!)

Author: mikekozel from Ecuador
7 March 2016

Series cinema is created to entertain and keep it's audience over a period of time. It may be to educate, but mostly it wants to keep the viewer coming back. Zombies, spy's, nerds talking about nothing while eating takeout, period stuff both glamorous and bloody, and on and on. Oh, yeah, don't forget the SUPERHERO!

In the old days, Lucy, Beaver, Father, taxi guys, Seinfeld, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Little house, and many more. We didn't criticize the REALITY OR THE VALIDITY OF THESE SERIES, but it seems a lot of reviewers are not happy with HOMELAND. Not real enough.

To even imagine putting together such a work is amazing. To shoot it, after casting, location, scripting, and getting any cohesive, ongoing plot driven series that can be presented to the viewer is incredible. Sure, this one reaches, but where does it take us? As a work of entertainment, this series was huge. Whoever was involved should be so proud of the work. Amazing. Far more complex and detailed than what is obviously swallowed by the public. Game of Thrones, yeah, wow. Homeland can't be judged by it's similarity to reality. Do you really know any more about covert action than you know about how to feed a dragon? Want real political fantasy, watch the debates and read the news.If you haven't seen Homeland, just sit back and enjoy. It's amazing work.

unfortunately a very mediocre show

Author: George Karahalioc from Athens, Greece
25 January 2016

I could only watch till the middle of the second season because it was so bad it got annoying.First of all the cast is okay nothing incredible and nothing bad.The music is unnoticeable nothing good either.What drives you to watch this show is its story.Unfortunately the story should have been told in 1 season maybe 2 at best.Well the creators decided to stretch it and as a result we sit down and watch filler episodes about characters i at least don't care about like the romance between the daughter and the other boy.If Brody blew himself at then end of season 1 then this series would definitely be a solid 8 instead we get nothing(one of the worst season finales ever).They only reason i gave this series 5 and not less is its potential.They had a very good story to tell but unfortunately they miserably failed so don't watch this show.

Bipolar show

Author: info-885-835135 from Ljubljana
4 January 2016

Bipolar TV show. Why?

Because some actors are great, and some awful. ACTORS; Claire Danes, just perfect. Could be better for this character. Damien Lewis. Great actor. He really has shown some skills acting as Brody. Morenna Baccarin... Oh my. Why her? All she knows is to smile, like she is posting for some adult magazine. She is cute, I wouldn't deny that. But her acting is terrible. Morgan Saylor... In first season, she was pretty OK. Adorable kid, nice acting. But season 2 and 3... She wants to be a direct copy of Sasha Grey in Entourage. Same way of speaking. But this way of speaking makes Sasha cute, and Morgan fake. Mandy Patinkin.. Great actor. I realize many people hates him, because he isn't such positive character. But he really plays that role like master. Others are average.

Overall,show is nice, interesting, but sometimes, with a huge lack of story. And in that moments, they offered us some boring personal drama.

Great and Not Great

Author: ghosthurd from United Kingdom
11 January 2016

OK so this is a really really good series I even think its a better story line than Breaking Bad the story and plot are very good and move at a good pace, Good action, good actors everything really good.

BUT, the more I watched the more the main CIA character Carrie started to annoy me and I would say her role is the only weak point in the whole show. Mainly because she keeps going off and doing her own thing, disobeying direct orders and running around doing anything she wants, it gets to the point when you say 'Jesus she's off again, and it gets so bad it ruins what otherwise would be a very believable storyline. Then their is her personal life!!! Who cares, boring boring boring baby's and illness boo hiss keep that in romantic soppy rubbish for the girls. This could have been a good action packed fast paced believable thriller- If only it wasn't for that bloody woman. All in all very good, but sometimes makes me want to shoot the TV.

Best TV show and some of the best acting I've ever seen

Author: johanftemmerman from Flanders
14 December 2015

Top quality TV is a rare thing, but this particular TV show definitely deserves that praise. Its content is realistic, its subject matter all too current, the plot tense yet utterly believable, the acting simply superb. Claire Danes' Carrie Mathison character is a wonderfully human portrait of a professional in a sordid but alas essential business, as prone as any other to human foibles and fallacies. Her performance however does not detract from those of others, notably the Saul Berenson character, brilliantly portrayed as well. In a word, the series is superb, and its writers, cast and producers merit congratulations. People at Showtime: more of this, please - and yes, I know I'm asking much.

Please don't make a season 4. IT ENDS PERFECTLY THIS WAY.

Author: amoooooor from Egypt
25 January 2014

I just finished watching season 3 of Homeland an American series based on an Israeli series called Prisoners of war. The story is new and it takes you to intelligence agencies fight, this time inside the USA. The series was full of problems when it came to address the Muslim characters. I hope I would get to see the day when American movie makers would even google the way Muslims talk and pray. The way the Muslim character prayer in the series is more of a Hindu than a Muslim.

The story line is really solid and you remain interested at every part of the series. All actors taking part in the production are mediocre, except for Claire Danes. She excelled into showing this motivated yet disturbed character she played. You swing between hating her into being in love with her character through out the story line.

I have no intention into adding any spoilers in here, but I just wished Showtime had decided to bringing Homeland into a close after season 3. The way this season ended could have made the series the best among American TV productions to come in terms with the audience. TV in America is totally dependent on money and ratings they don't mind to ruin their art sometimes for the sake of more dough. I liked Homeland (especially the third season) so much I definitely would sanely choose not to watch the next season.

Author: moon_star_skies from United States
20 November 2015

Personally, I have never been, totally, absorbed with a TV. series, as I have with "Homeland." Partially because of the content of the wonderfully revelent and brilliantly written plots. The other half is the performance by Damian Lewis....a superb and brilliant actor! Damian's portrayal is heart wrenching and sympathetic while, at times, deplorable and shocking. He tries to do the right thing, but he struggles to please everyone and he becomes easily manipulated. Carrie's harsh treatment toward Brody, initially , was unsettling, and I couldn't understand how Brody could forgive, but his character needed her help, and, of course, he had "turned" against America. The final episode brought tears. I wonder if I can revisit "Homeland" when there is no Brody.?

Great story told by the wrong people...

Author: footballfanno268869 from Sydney, Australia
3 March 2014

This show had all the makings of an instant classic but somewhere between season 1 and season 2 the writers must have started smoking crack and the story totally makes no sense after that.

If the storyline was taken in another direction it would have been a great show. It's hard to watch at times with too many boring side stories, and it takes too long to build up to a major event that then doesn't happen and the story then heads in another direction.

I kept watching hoping that the storyline improve because the acting is there, the characters are likable, and the premise is outstanding, but the writing and storyline fail this show.

There is also no attention to detail and has some unrealistic scenarios but it's biggest failing is the storyline that leaves you scratching your head.

The show needs more emphasis on catching the terrorist and the work of the CIA and less emphasis on boring side stories.

Author: tamarchelidze
23 April 2015

I started watching Homeland after Game of Thrones (which blew my mind), and I loved it. And I LOVED most its 4th season. One could argue about it, but I though it was the best season they've done. I can't argue about misrepresentation of factual circumstances (whether or not locations or bias are real), I can say, it is a fiction, a story, and it is damn captivating, nerve wrecking, full of twists and surprises. It makes you think all the time what's going to happen next, and you think you can predict, but actually it twists in a way that makes your jaw drop. That's what I love about Homeland. And particularly about its season 4. I am looking forward to the next season!