IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 21: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Excellent Pilot, but Series?

Author: danielcheah from Malaysia
30 October 2011

I'm a big fan of a good pilot, that usually lets you picture what a series might turn out to be. I am skeptical as to whether such "terrorist-psycho-thriller" will make it in a TV series (drama). In truth, it is much more difficult to make it in a 2-3 season drama than to spin it as a 2hours movie. There is a tendency for such stories to end up being overly ludicrous. A little bit of controversy excites the audience, but when it is overly done, it becomes difficult for the writer to contain - and end it on a high note. Just ask Lost.

However with that skepticism in tact, I believe the pilot shows a lot of promise of what a good series this can turn out to be. From the pilot: I believe the script is brilliant, the acting is as good as it gets, and the premise of what the series is/will be centered on is top class. This is merely derived from the first episode. I wouldn't want to overrate this series, but it has the potential to be the first best "terrorist-psycho-thriller" series, or a nothing worth talking about.

Fingers crossed, and I for one, truly hope this ends well. Breaking bad is my favorite series of all time, and I for one hope this can come close.

worst ever ending !!!!!!!!!!

Author: damudum from United States
18 December 2011

total waste of TV time. if you want viewers for next season give us some meat....i hate when producers think if they leave you hanging you will automatically turn in to next season. if your series is good you will want to watch the next. people wont remember you left them "hanging on the edge" too much life happens and too many TV show to tune in too. OK shes crazy OK they don't believe her. seen it before. let me guess they are going to find the black dude, she's going to wake up and eventually remember what she hoped to not forget, she's not going to get her job back but go on to do something "roge copish" but show them all she was right by season 3. but season 2 he is going to inch his way closer and closer to the president episode by episode with a "days of our lives feel" please............. on to the next one..............................................

Subtly raciest TV series

Author: asabbagh from United Arab Emirates
18 September 2012

I am shocked that Orbit Showtime Middle East premium TV provider has chosen this TV series, because of how it portrayed 1.3 Billion Muslims and 300 Million Arabs. The reasons for my comments are: - The first episode where the lady is selecting the "Hareem" for the prince:

1. Where is this coming from? the meaning of Hareem is the wives of the man which is limited to 4 wives. This was depicted as prostitute for 2 years contract.

2. Second, the lady asks her of she minds anal sex. Islam forbids anal sex. So it is strange to associate this "religious" Amir with all this nonsense - The officer Brody is a "suspect" and his privacy is violated constantly, because he is became Muslim?

This Series promote discrimination against Muslim and spread wide misconception about Muslims and Arabs. If that is the goal of this Series, I think they are achieving it and I will keep my mouth shut.

Senseless plot full of subtle racial profiles

Author: Joe Khoury from Texas
5 October 2012

You watch the show and learn nothing at all. In fact, it is a mediocre series disguised as good TV but filled with subtle racial profiles that feed into false generalizations. It is nowhere close to winner series like Mad Men. It's actually surprising that the whole premise of the show was given thumbs up in view of the vain message behind it. But again, who says the masses crave less superficial plots. In my opinion, Homeland is barely a notch above the senseless production that caused riots around the world a few weeks ago. One is just more subtle than the other, but the subliminal messages behind both of them are similar. They're meant to sow misunderstanding and establish certain stereotypes. One hopes the public is smarter than that.

Yawnnnnnnland

Author: Uttam HV from Mumbai
7 October 2012

WARNING: Viewers are getting tricked into watching the series for following reasons 1. The plot seems very interesting. 2. The fact that it swept the board at Emmy awards.

The series is filled with massive loop holes, unjustified story-line and ultra-slow pace. It also has the most anti-climactic and outrageous finale which will leave you fuming for putting up with a whole season of annoying smirk faced Sergeant Brody.

Most overrated series ever.

For people who still wanna watch it and get frustrated- I cannot think of anything but saying "I told you so"

Finally!

Author: us_Jordan7 from United States
4 October 2011

Finally a captivating series for my generation. 22 years old and LOVE current events/military. I actually found myself glued to this series just by seeing the trailer. I can't wait for next weeks episode. This is a psychological-thriller to the T. I feel that the series wouldn't be as captivating if it wasn't for Claire Danes' character and the question of her mental stability. The script and characters really provide a great cat and mouse game.

In response to ScapegoatsOfTheEmpire, The Marine Corps does not salute when indoors and are to remove their covers upon entering anything indoors. They are only required to salute a CO if they are under arms. Which he was not. I just wanted to clarify that, to prevent anyone from thinking otherwise.

Exceptional Television Series

Author: RyanCShowers from United States
4 July 2014

Often lauded as one of the best debut seasons in television history, "Homeland" season 1 contains exceptionally written stand-alone episodes, while forming a juxtapose with its developed leading characters. The first episode of the series is one of my favorite pilots of any television show, an eventful installment that showcases significant moments executed to their full potential. With season 1, it's almost as if the writers, directors, and actors were not aware of genius in their creation, which they branded with pragmatic approach (conversations and character development instead of thunderous action). For example, "The Weekend" benefits from Carrie's murky, twisted feelings for Brody, told in a delicate, quiet manner. Though obviously the nature of the season is serialized, the episodes in season 1 feel complete, as if there are twelve different stories being told, a admirable quality for a beginning television season. Season 1 ends as strongly as it begins with "Marine One," from the throbbing tension of Brody's choice with the vest to the brilliance of the closing images of Carrie's treatments. The central question that Homeland season 1 entangles within its audience (Is Brody a Terrorist?) is aptly investigated, lucidly written and remains the center of the first season's greatness.

Season 1 Grade: A

First welcomed with positive praise, but quickly turned on by Internet backlash, I had my doubts before watching season 2 of "Homeland," as I was so fond of the first season. To my great pleasure, season 2 proved an enormous surprise. The plot was amplified from the first season and felt logical as it followed the first season's groundwork. Season 1 felt like the prologue to season 2's booming fireworks. The immaculate structure is thorough, compact, and concise. One event leads to another, and another, and another. The confidence gained from season 1 is evident in the successful ambitions of season 2. The premiere was respectable and answered most of the questions left unresolved from season 1, but the key moment that hooked me into season 2 was the astonishing Beirut is Back climactic sequence with Carrie being chased through her informant's apartment. Then began the series' finest and most rewarding run of episodes through "Q&A," which floored me with its astounding acting and writing. Though there was a negligible lag after "Q&A," the last half of the season concerning Abu Nazir was thoroughly engrossing and suspenseful. "The Choice" showed the scope of the series and put to rest two terrific seasons of television surrounding Nazir. I cannot compliment season 2 enough. It enthusiastically invested me in the sharply executed story.

Season 2 Grade: A+

Season 3 is vastly inferior to the preceding season and rigorously flawed. The show creators tarnish their pristine reputation by cluttering the first five episodes with sloppy ideas without realizing the season's reputation was going to suffer perpetually. Episodes 2 and 4 fall so far that you wonder if the show is even worth salvaging. The season had its moments where it coerced me into pensive reflections ("The Tower of David" comes to mind as it retraces its roots juxtaposing and comparing the situations of the two leads), but left the brevity of season 1 and powerhouse of season 2 to be desired. It feels like the writers had notions of complexities, but the creativity was not kept under control. As a result they spend episodes 7 through 12 trying to make the best out of the nonsensical and illogical cards they dealt themselves. Thankfully, the season got better with each episode once they regained the thrilling tone and a simplified the narrative. "One Last Thing" was the first time "Homeland" resembled the seasons 1 and 2 "Homeland," and each episode that followed stood strongly. The way I envision season 3 figuratively is someone being dropped to the bottom of a well, breaking every bone in their body, slowly regaining strength, and climbing to the top of the well. It took them all twelve episodes to climb to the top of the well and the moving finale, "The Star," reinstated "Homeland" to the praise of which it's capable. "The Star" is a bit rushed and vaguely flawed, they regain their punch and thankfully send Brody off on a positive note and turn the page for a new story to begin in season 4.

Season 3 Grade: B

The most striking elements of Homeland are the extraordinary leading actors, Claire Danes and Damian Lewis. Throughout the series, neither actor gave an inadequate performance, but each flourish and limp in distinctive areas. In season 1, Danes' brash work was less interesting to me (though "The Vest" is one overwhelming piece of acting) than Damian Lewis' captivating and emotionally authentic oeuvre in the first season. Lewis breaks the stereotype (for me) that males don't get the same gust of wind in emotional scenes as female actors. In season 2, Danes was fortunately relinquished from the chains of Carrie's instability and was able to play her with more truth and evoke more empathy from the audience. Toned back for the better, Danes rocked the second season and lead it with heroism. Lewis was once again reliable, but did not shine as brightly as Danes. In season 3, neither actor is helped by the material, in fact Lewis' work is middling due to his competent talent and the diminished, undeveloped view of Brody from the writer's room. Danes is always compelling, less so when Carrie's trapped in the psyche ward, but knocks the audience to their knees with a sensational performance in "The Star."

Homeland: What now?

Author: Bleke01 from Norway
1 July 2014

Seeing the third season for the first time, the episodes left me with little, and I was both confused and disappointed. The portrayal of Sgt. Brody from the always brilliant Damian Lewis was gone, and we were left with the Brady bunch. Not a typo!

Xander, I believe said it best. The son is like a boy scout, and the mother has a milf-thing going for her, and Dana is just non-descript, being a part of the perfect family. And the ever annoying Maverick Mike gets somehow involved in this. How ever as the season progress we see less and less of time, and we got more and more of the taste of the CIA.

The continues questions of who is a traitor, who is on whose sides, and how USA is going to stop terrorist gets toned down. I guess the show started to become more like how the intelligence business is in some state of a normalcy. We get to see more of the inner workings of the CIA, and we see how they work, and how they try to get result.

This is a totally new sight for the show. Everything started and ended with Brody before, now the entire world seems like a part of the puzzle, and the picture is much bigger. Up and till a certain moment the season was just great. Great suspense, drama and tension like ever before. The plan Saul initiated from the get go, seems like the move that Alex Gansa made. Homeland is going to change, quite radically, and I don't remember a main character being killed off so unsurprisingly and yet so dramatic and so crucial to the story.

I feel being trapped like Javadi, not unable to get away from the strong grip from Saul/Gansa that just can't say anything else that the season just turned out to be great.

Great performances, but slow start and disputable scenes

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia
19 June 2014

/refers to seasons 1-3/

I had heard lots of praise about this series but then when it was shown on our national TV, I had no opportunity to watch, thus I had to find time later. Having watched its 3 seasons, all episodes in a row, I can consider it good and giving plenty of food for thought, but still, not among the best I have seen so far.

Well, the cast is great and main characters elaborated, particularly Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison (outperforming all the others), Damian Lewis as Nicholas Brody, Mandy Patinkin as Saul Berenson, Morgan Saylor as Dana Brody, Tracy Letts as Senator Andrew Lockhart. Among real villains, however, there is no outstanding performance, and their presence on screen is rather limited. As regards second thoughts, I wonder if our protection and relative peace in the world come from constant non-obedience, officials with disorders, use of felonious traitors? Now, we have come to the script which is based on an Israeli series Hatufim (English title: Prisoners of War); apparently too much, as e.g. use of punitive squads/persons has been more "natural" and initiated by the government than in the U.S, the same applies to the role of Jews and Arabs within the country and high-level persons with personal and dubious agendas. In other words, tensions and drama are often created on the account of reality and credibility. As for excitement and twists/turns, Season 2 is the best.

Therefore, Homeland is a good series, but I have to admit I like House of Cards and The Blacklist, for example, more.

A great show that would be perfect if Carrie was portrayed better

Author: brendan-821-654855
16 June 2014

I really enjoy this show, it's well written, well acted... well almost.

Claire Danes' portrayal of Carrie Mathison is the one thing that really lets the show down.

The overly emotive portrayal starts to become really grating after a while, and then when her character lapses into genuine moments of psychotic breakdown, the impact is lost because it's not really that much different to how the character is portrayed when she's in a state of normalcy.

It also lifts you out of the show, because you find yourself regularly questioning how someone so obviously unstable could ever maintain a career in either the military or the intelligence field.

Just compare her character to that of Saul Berenson (played deftly by Mandy Patinkin) - he is supposed to be her mentor, the older and wiser mirror image of her, yet, clearly he has a temperament that is totally the opposite to Carrie's - and that's precisely the issue, because it is his temperament that makes him so expert and suited to the field of intelligence.

Carrie comes across more like a crazed conspiracy theorist than a boring data analyst whose methodical temperament makes her so good at intelligence gathering and interpretation.

It's a shame, because all of the other central characters, and even the lesser parts, are acted to perfection, and in a way that leaves you believing the plot that is unfolding in front of you.