IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 27: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Great when I first started watching it, but looking back it makes little sense

Author: Peter Harris from Massachusetts, USA
17 July 2013

I watched the first season in 2 days and really liked it (not loved it, but it was good). I still have not gotten back to it and watched season 2, though. But though I enjoyed watching it, when I think about it, this show is pretty bad. The plot is all over the place, Carrie is a bitch, first Brody seems like he might be a terrorist, then maybe not, then yeah, he's probably a terrorist, then Carrie f#cks him (seriously, what the HELL?) then he seems like a cool guy and then he's not. It really seems like the writers have zero idea where they are going with this.

Still haven't gotten around to the second season since there are so many better shows to watch. I probably will watch it at some point, but I'm in no hurry.

Feels like a draft of what could have been a really good show.

Author: Yaiza from Denmark
7 April 2013

This is a good show, no doubt, but to me it is a disappointment. I was expecting a smarter product, a serious depiction of a complex subject. Because they had it all: an interesting story, good actors, a huge production. Instead they deliver this flat soap-opera, full of clichés, bidimensional characters, weak concepts, predictable lines... Really disappointing! What a shame!

I'll throw some examples to illustrate my point. Regarding the characters, for instance: The mother, Jess: such a simple-minded housewife, selfish and cold. Can this be a real woman? It makes me think of Mad Men's Betty Draper; they have attributes in common, but Betty is 3D, so complex and subtle, whereas Jess is just an annoying character, boring to the limit. Then you have Mike. Is this a man or a monkey?! Can he think at all? Amazing. To say nothing of Dana, the daughter. In a bad mood for two seasons. Unbearable. And she has absolute power over practically every grown-up! WTH. And "the Arabs". All of them weird by nature, it seems. Com'on! And Ayleen. Do they really expect us to believe this character?! Insulting. And Saul ie the good guy. So good he's terribly predictable. I know you need to have a good guy in the story, but this is almost Disney!

Anyway. Then there is the way these characters talk and move. Carrie is exhaustive, overacted. Jess is such a perfect American housewife it makes you laugh. The CIA guys are so devoted is beyond reality. Those lines, please! Some dialogues are so Western-hero they are almost naif...

Of course the settings are great, and the effects, that kind of things. But when it comes to the cinematographic stuff, the script, the editing, it just seems this was a draft for what could have been a really good show. I wish the team behind "The Wire" could have had a look at that draft!

Homeland Needs a Parachute - Oxygen is Thin Up Here

Author: Unbilled_Role from United States
28 December 2012

I watched Homeland with anticipation during the first season. This program grew predictable and less believable by the start of Season 2. Here are some of the strengths and weaknesses of this show:

Wonderful acting by all of the teens, particularly Morgan Saylor (his daughter)

It's a mixed bag with Danes in the lead. Her expressions are overly-animated, irritating, and flat. This in itself provides a distraction in nearly every episode. I've seen her do better in other roles.

There is not much chemistry between the 2 leads. (Carrie and Brody). Their emotional bond feels plastic and stereotypical. I find this to be one of the most disappointing aspects of Homeland.

Rupert Friend and Damian Lewis both do a very fine job. But Lewis' responses are sometimes so abrupt, that it diffuses the power of his persona.

Patinkin gives a lovely delivery, and his character is a nice counterpoint to Carrie. His periodic Hebrew prayers are featured with an obvious healing presence, but this throws the spiritual balance off.

It seems like this show is promoting pro-Israel viewpoints. As others have said, I also sense a political agenda in this program. With the exception of the Danny Galvez character, I can find no other positive role models for Middle Eastern men or women portrayed in this show.

* SPOILER alerts for Season 2 are below *

The writing in certain scenes bubbles over with nonsense. In one key scene, Carrie is entering a building to capture a deadly enemy. But one thing is off -- she just happens to forget to bring a weapon. And her proclivity for self-destruction in the face of imminent danger becomes foolish and tiresome after a while. In another climatic scene, Brody reveals his involvement in aiding the enemy. But he reveals his true past in all of about 10 minutes with Carrie... the sheer brevity of this scene was deflating and anti-climatic.

Season 3 of Homeland, anyone? I'm not feeling too motivated at this point.

Could somebody give me an aspirin, and a cup of mint tea? Skip the sugar.

Bring me more!

Author: Jim Powell from United States
29 December 2011

This is the first show in a long time that I've watched that's made me say "Oh my gosh" out loud in my living room. I was always told to watch "24" but I wasn't able...this show feels a lot like what I think "24" probably would have felt like. I recently read that it was one of the best new shows this year so I watched all 12 episodes on demand. Thankfully I was able to get this show completed in two days. I don't think I could ever wait to see what happens if I had to wait a week between episodes.

The entire cast is great. Clare Danes does an amazingly great job with a complex character. Damian Lewis also does a great job with another complex character. Their chemistry when on the screen together is apparent.

This is a well-written, smart, ever-changing who done it kind of show. Not only is it well acted, but I find it keeps the mind engaged. I look forward to more "oh my gosh" moments in the second season.

Great Show.. Fair,Impartial "as a Muslim"

Author: alattawi90 from Bahrain
6 January 2013

I don't know where to start,as a Muslim i'm fully aware that western media can't resist to show us as a terrorist, but once i watched Homeland, i realized that days are finally over.. I must say, the people who worked on homeland prepare for it very very well, it's obvious that they look up about what really Islam is ,islam's doctrine, i must thank them from my heart "at least for now " The show in unbelievably awesome, great cast, i bet if that was a movie, at least 6 actors\actresses will get nomination for academy award, and damn yeah claire danes will win for sure.. i must take the opportunity to praise Mandy Patinkin for his great performance, he really touch you as saul berenston.. the other people i want to praise are Damian Lewis,Morgan Saylor, David harewood and rupert friend, these people made great impression on the screen that is not easy to get over.. I love This Show and i can't wait till Season 3 get start, Because it get it all in one show,as life lessons: love, sacrifice, betrayal, it shows how it is hard to start over your dirty past, how the community you live in response with that ... etc As a show: homeland is thriller, suspense, romance and drama .. what the person seeks more in a TV show ? waiting for season 3 on fire...

worst ever ending !!!!!!!!!!

Author: damudum from United States
18 December 2011

total waste of TV time. if you want viewers for next season give us some meat....i hate when producers think if they leave you hanging you will automatically turn in to next season. if your series is good you will want to watch the next. people wont remember you left them "hanging on the edge" too much life happens and too many TV show to tune in too. OK shes crazy OK they don't believe her. seen it before. let me guess they are going to find the black dude, she's going to wake up and eventually remember what she hoped to not forget, she's not going to get her job back but go on to do something "roge copish" but show them all she was right by season 3. but season 2 he is going to inch his way closer and closer to the president episode by episode with a "days of our lives feel" please............. on to the next one..............................................

an overrated rip off of 24 with sex and swearing

Author: asongoficeandfire20 from United Kingdom
11 May 2012

Homeland is a show about a CIA agent who suspects that a returning prisoner of war is secretly a terrorist. They are both played well by Claire Danes and Damien Lewis who both carry the viewers through the series. Unfortunately I think that this series may have worked better as a film because it is very dull. A huge part of this series is devoted to how Brody(Damien Lewis) integrates into everyday life with his family and with his newly found public attention and how Carrie (Claire Danes) tries to convince her superiors that Brody is a threat whilst also suffering from possible mental illnesses. Now Homeland is ridiculous like 24 was, it focuses on possible agency conspiracies like 24 does, it is also focused on a particular unit like 24 was, and deals with threats for both terrorists and the agencies like 24 did. But all that aside the basic premise of Homeland is whether Brody is a terrorist or whether Carrie is just mad. This drew me in at first but it never really carried the series very well and whilst Danes is good in her role her character is very unlikeable and reminds me of all the crazies who claimed that the world would die from the millennium bug. The odd thing as well is that I actually route for the person who is supposedly the villain of the tale, but the episodes largely consists of his interactions then flashbacks, whilst his family struggles with his very existence. The whole thing is a complete mess from the start and largely relies on what will happen at the end and leave us with episodes where nothing happens where the story drags itself out. I won't be sticking with it because its just drivel and not in an entertaining way.

Homeland Drinking Game

Author: adlap
30 July 2016

Every time Carrie cries... Take a shot or chug a beer! You will be hammered before three episodes into the first season!! This show is littered with plot holes! Absolutely littered. The poop they pull on this show would never happen in real life! Brody being able to reenlist after being a POW for eight years would never happen. Carrie being bipolar and in the CIA ,would never happen... Hello drug tests! Attention to detail in this show is absolutely atrocious! Brody was bumped up to Gunnery Seargent after he reenlisted and in season two shows up as a Seargent in his dress blues! Never!! CIA agents with weekly routines! Never! Did I mention that Carrie cries in every episode! If they changed the actress in the middle of an episode in season three I wouldn't bat an eye! Why does she cry in every episode man!!! Drink up!! If you can make it through the first season without puking from all the shots you take or beers you chug from either watching Carrie cry or how bad this show is you probably need to go to meetings!!!

She cries and chin-quivers 20+ times in every episode!

Author: bestevr-38510
30 July 2016

The main character is HORRIBLE!!!! She cries 20+ times every episode! All I see is "chin quivers"!! The whole thing is ridiculous and would never happen. Ugh! I wouldn't mind her being replaced in the middle of an episode at any time. He wouldn't still have been a marine, she wouldn't be allowed to continue to be in the CIA and she sucks. Cry less!!!!!!!!! There are a few characters that make it OK, and overall the show is OK...but I can't make it past crybaby Carrie. Not at all. I liked her in her show on MTV and now I hope to never see her in another show EVER! She can never be redeemed after this performance. Ever. Quinn is cool, the main CIA dude is cool, her role will never be believable or plausible or possible or ever happen. The plot twits are totally foreseeable and not realistic and this show is for "blind America".

Conclusion: Every agency is stupid except CIA

Author: asadabbasbaloch
5 July 2016

This show looks promising in the season one but then goes down the hill. Characters and scenes are very predictable. The lead character has good acting skills but again predictable. He is bound to disobey his superiors and everybody knows that he will be forgiven each and every time.

But the other than predictability, I have watched 3 seasons and I was thinking on every move that why on earth every one else is dumb and stupid and only CIA has all the tricks up their sleeves. The way Brody character is beaten every time and still he cooperates with CIA is absolutely unreal.

Also this show doesn't have any balance. Leave Irani or Iraqi or Lebanon intelligence this show teaches us that MOSAD and ISI are also dumb.

If you want to watch a show with balanced realistic scenarios I recommend Dexter.