IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 33: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Good Story line and plot but hopeless actress

Author: prkashravi
11 August 2016

The plot and story line is very good. The photography and locations are good too. Another good point is that so far they have not tried to favor any political party. Most of the actors have done a very good job but the main actress is hopeless. No idea why they chose her. It gets irritating to watch in each episode that she can get away with anything and everyone in the agency is a dud. The best person is one who is on anti- depressants and goes by hunches. The agency can't function without her. Her acting is irritating to the point that you want to walk away from the serial. It could become more interesting, if other members of the team were also instrumental in doing good work.

Homeland Seasons 1-4

Author: Vincent Verschuur from Netherlands
4 May 2016

I've recently watched Homeland Seasons 1 to 4. And I have to say that I don't know what to think about it. But yet I'd like to go my review about this TV show. Be advised: there might be spoilers ahead!

Let me start of at the beginning. The first season was excellent in every way. The suspense was there in every episode and the story of Nicholas Brody was well written. I was left completely in the dark till the end of the season whether Brody was a pion of Abu Nazir or not. His motive why he turned out to be was clear and respectable. The twist why he didn't blew himself up in the bunker was also acceptable. Hearing his daughter's voice on the phone. The plan changed and Brody decided to exploit his hero status and join the American Congress. Then came the biggest mistake in my opinion. Brody stating he was in Abu Nazir's service the whole time came way too early in the second season. All due to an SD card which had Brody's statement why he planned to kill the vice president. How did that SD card even turn up in the bag of a Hezbollah commander half way across the world anyway? That was a big hiatus for me. Then the season just went on but in the wrong direction in my view. Even Abu Nazir was showed in a wrong way. He turned from the world's most dangerous terrorist to a common kidnapper. That just didn't feel right for me. Season 3 was slightly better, but still clearing up all the mess from season 2 was a very difficult job. But Saul's master plan put out in season 3 was really a slight bandage to the wound. The suspense and surprise came back. The closing of the Brody story line was well done, all the way to the end you didn't know if he was loyal to the Americans of the Iranians.

Then the main protagonist, Carrie. Boy was she annoying. Almost every episode there was something that exasperated me. There was at least five times when every one in the Agency told Carrie to back off but she still proceeded. I was actually cheering when she was shot down by Peter Quinn back in season 3. Season 4 is no different in that matter. She still proceeds to annoy me. And I don't know if that is good acting or something but she did a great job there. Season 4 is the season where Brody is not longer involved. And the focus is on another terrorist in Pakistan in the middle east. The plan from this terrorist is quite brilliant and you get his motive. But the ending from this season is completely lost on me. In the first three seasons Carrie is unstoppable, even the president couldn't stop her if he tried. But when the embassy is overrun and Peter decides to take the terrorist out, Carrie suddenly does everything to stop Peter. Why?! Nothing stopped her before and now she stands down. And thats not the worst, after she stopped Peter from taking sweet revenge, she decides out of the blue to kill the terrorist anyhow, but is stopped by the Pakistani's. Then the big twist comes that an member of the CIA is with the terrorist in the car. Alright, that was a good twist, but unfortunately followed by the most boring season finale so far. I expected action and suspense, but got an hour of mother therapy instead. Shame.

I don't know if the pressure was too high after season 1, but it feels as if the writers had to stretch the story out. And that is a pity, because S01 was really good. But S02 was a fiasco on my account. I want it to be a good show, but I can't get the feeling away that it isn't. Still, I give it an 7 overall, because of S01.

Bloated TV series, ruined by bad acting. Watch SNL skit instead

Author: Ulteriorme1
21 March 2016

Homeland is hit and miss TV, almost paralleling the traits of its protagonist, bi-polar in behavior. Any TV drama takes time to bed in, this one starts out well and goes down the drain mid season. In any good show one usually feels attached to the main characters, invested to some degree. For that characters need consistency to some extend or real motive to explain the discrepancies. Majority of characters on Homeland do not exhibit that. When you come to loathe and ridicule TV show characters, something has gone quite wrong.

Homeland starts out well. Dialogues like "F*&k the Pakistanis" give a credibility to the lead actor. NO matter what politicians say certain countries, their intelligence operations are not held in high regard by CIA/ FBI. That's a small scene but it tells you the lead woman, she has her bearings right. Then suddenly everything goes awry. It becomes a bad family drama, CIA operatives sleeping with terrorist suspects and what not.

Homeland Season 1 has maybe 2 or 3 characters worth following. Saul, another of CIA analyst and maybe even Mike. They have arcs which remain consistent. Everyone else, and especially lead characters Carrie and Brody vacillate a lot. Bipolar disorder is conveniently added to explain some of this but it becomes tiring soon after. If you like your main character to play CIA agent and cry, throw tantrums, disobey all the orders then you have a winner on hand. If you like a terrorist who for 6 episodes shows his contempt for the system and wants to do whatever he thinks is right and then chickens out at last minute, yes you have a show. If you need a perpetual 16 year old girl playing the bratty hormonal teenager, yes watch Homeland. These 3 characters ruin the show by taking huge chunk of time.

Homeland is a bloated TV series, season 1 + 2 could have been trimmed and made into 1. So much extra stuff that could been cut and good show been created. I would suggest one watch the SNL skit once they are half way through this TV series (Season 1). It will give an idea of what is to come next. Or skip this and move to better TV series out there.

The show is amazing!!! till season 4...

Author: alaaaldinnawi from Beirut, Lebanon
14 November 2015

Guys, don't be hurry, read me to the end, I read somewhere that it's the favorite series to president Obama,so, I bought the series, I watched the only first episode then Iam hooked !!! Great acting, huge producing , and perfect directing... all are genuine, even the beginning song , and Iam sure you will love it, its like "Person of Interest" series in action acting , "CSI" in analyzing,"Breaking bad" in mystery and human conflict in dealing with their Conscious disorders, its a smart show, dedicated for smart viewers..

I recommend you to watch, do not listen to bad critics, Iam sure they hate politics,and tactics...its great show for great minds..

Claire Danes character needs to be improved

Author: randularulze from auckland
3 July 2014

Claire Danes character is just stupid cry baby who, she doesn't have any characteristic of a CIA operative. she needs to look more realistic. CIA doesn't go and beg for information they manipulate them or threat them they don't offer to suck they're dicks for god sake. make it more like the mentalist or like the blacklist because you got a awesome plot going on with a screwed up bitch for the main character. please try and make Claire Danes character more interesting. because showtime never fails don't make this your biggest blunder.Claire Danes character is just stupid cry baby who, she doesn't have any characteristic of a CIA operative. she needs to look more realistic. CIA doesn't go and beg for information they manipulate them or threat them they don't offer to suck they're dicks for god sake. make it more like the mentalist or like the blacklist because you got a awesome plot going on with a screwed up bitch for the main character. please try and make Claire Danes character more interesting. because showtime never fails don't make this your biggest blunder.

Great up until season 2

Author: shineon91
11 June 2014

Homeland is an example of a series which shows that everything can go wrong when too much confidence leads to terrible scenario decisions..Through the first two seasons the show gained a lot of respect from the public as a result of a strong scenario, a story that was thoroughly unwrapped and exceptional acting(which was depicted on the receiving awards).But somehow season 3 came out to be the worst possible addition to this show..Suddenly the scenario was weakened, the story was repeatable and it was clear that the absence of Brody in the first half was fading the charm of the series. The reappearance of Brody was like a 'life kiss' for this season, but surprisingly the writers had other plans in the end..Brody was killed and so the hopes of the viewers for this show..Season 4 is going to be a disaster,even if it comes out with a nice new story. Homeland is Brody, without him it's just another show, and frankly a mediocre one..

Excellent Excellent Series.. a must watch

Author: subhajit-dg from United States
10 April 2017

Right up there with Breaking Bad. Season over season they do it.finish up keeping you wanting for more.. it's hard to choose which season was the best, it engulfs you right from S1E1 ...the complicated characters keep each episode honest. big drama alright, but the intelligence always prevails. Never i felt the producer is squeezing money out of viewers in any of the seasons. And thanks for all the education. Carrie in now almost my favorite TV character.. Look forward to season 7..

Breathtaking, edge-of-the-seat, addictive.

Author: Abhishek 5 from India
4 July 2014

If you haven't watched Homeland yet, its hard for you to IMAGINE what the show can offer with a P.O.W., a CIA officer & the theme of national security. When I first read an intro for the show, I didn't know how long the show will be able to keep my interest for it, alive. But now, addiction has replaced interest!

You will LOVE the show if you like: high octane thrillers, 'gosh, what will happen next?' dramas, potent story-telling & slow, yet intense suspense and similar themes. It's an addicting cocktail of these & much more.

If you judge shows by awards...it has won 5 Golden Globes & numerous Emmys in just two seasons!

Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis) is absolutely brilliant as the POW and so is Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes) as a CIA case officer. The main theme remains Carrie's suspicion about Brody - whether he 'turned' when in captivity and consequently does he pose a threat to national security. But, don't be fooled by the simplistic description...as different layers of the storyline are revealed & characters take shape, the story diversifies & yet intensifies without losing the original plot or track. As I said above, it's difficult to guess how such a straight-forward looking theme can be supplied with such potency (by the Emmy-winning brilliant writing) that it continues to appeal & intrigue almost endlessly. Aptly-timed & brilliantly directed revelations, intriguing background stories & beautifully written personal lives of characters - all assist the central theme & end up making a breathtaking package. The ensemble of supporting actors (especially Mandy Patinkin as Saul Berenson) are really good too.

This is one show you should watch irrespective of which genre of television you prefer/like. Why? Simply because its quite different & unconventional in its treatment of subjects, storyline & characters.

If you've watched all seasons already, you've done the right thing. If you left the series mid-way, start again - you don't know what the next episode holds. And if you still haven't started watching the show, START TODAY!

9/10 !

a show that doesn't know what it wants to be

Author: hoergeraet
19 May 2014

This review does not contain any spoilers, but I ticked the box anyway just to be safe. So it's fine for you to read on, there are no spoilers in this review.

I honestly wanted to like this show, and I did kind of like the first season although even then I didn't quite agree with all the accolades and praise heaped on the show.

And then it completely veered off track - all the while it kept pretending that it was "quality television", which it really isn't. The characters are never fleshed out enough for me to care about any of them; the ridiculous forced "realism" got on my nerves early on and it went downhill from there; the plot twists are ludicrously contrived and are used only to move the characters around.

All in all, this is a show that doesn't know what it wants to be. Sometimes, the show pretends to be all about relationships, but it never deeply explores any of that. Then it suddenly wants to be a spy thriller, but suffers from laughably bad characterization, writing and (for the most part) acting.

I'm giving it 5 stars because it's not Burn Notice, but anything above 5/10 is pure fanboyism.

Oh yes, and Brody dies. I lied about the spoilers before. But I didn't lie since I ticked the box. "Spoiler alerts" are for the feeble-minded who care more about "big plot revelations" than about the substance of the story and the way it is told.

Still a great show

Author: edwardlovette from Florida, United States
22 February 2017

Just finished watching season 5 which I thought started slow but I was not disappointed. The Berlin setting is so timely and it really ads to the shows story line because of the focus of terrorism in Europe. Some of the reviews seem to nitpick the show for being factually inaccurate when it comes to foreign languages or foreign cars and locales but keep in mind that a series is produced on a very quick schedule and mistakes are going to happen.

Overall I am still very pleased with the quality of the show's writing and its pace. That's a hard thing to maintain after 5 or 6 years. I can see this show going much longer because like law and Order it will be hard to run out of real news inspired material.