IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 24: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

An average show with some glaring errors

Author: viv-1435 from Ramadi, Iraq
25 October 2014

I thought this show was average at best and didn't quite live up to all the hype that it attracted when it was first released. There are way too many loose ends in the plot and for me most of the actors didn't do their best job. Few things that make this show stupid:

1. Carrie Mathison: Her personality, stunts, shenanigans. I mean, do CIA agents really behave like cranky teenagers? How does someone so emotionally unstable even land such a job? And...CIA or Military, an order is an order! But Carrie will have none of it. Her colleagues themselves had to shoot her to make things clear. LOL

With her petite frame she dodges bullets on rooftops in Beirut, gets slammed face first onto a tank by one of the world's deadliest terrorists, is 20 meters from an exploding briefcase but ends up fine. Is she secretly also a Navy SEAL?

Also, whats up with her facial expressions? Confused, Angry, Tense...all mixed up! Textbook psycho woman, but still somehow an active CIA agent.

There are loads of other things that make absolutely no sense.

2. Peter Quinn threatening his boss David Estees. Makes CIA look like a drug cartel where anyone can hold a gun to anyone. He threatened the Director of the bloody CIA in his own house. And got away with it LMAO!

3. Majid Javadi, the 2nd highest dude in the Iranian intelligence murders his wife and daughter in law in cold blood in a residential area in the USA? Are you kidding me? There were a million discreet ways to do that, but an experienced intelligence officer couldn't think of any? Please.

4. At the end of Season 3, Fara is an innocent but talented girl who has just joined the CIA. Come season 4 and she's in Islamabad. On the streets. With no protection from the agency or the embassy. So she became a field agent in like 3 months? What did her already p*ssed off dad have to say about that?

5. A total of 5 dudes pretty much run the entire show at the CIA. And they always give in to Carrie's incessant rants.

6. The fake accents in Pakistan. Oh my God! I died laughing at that one. I guess nobody bothered to do any research about how Urdu is not Hindi.Many of the Pakistani characters were actually Indian. But what was on screen was not even Hindi. It sounded ridiculously funny!

The only true saving grace for Homeland is Mandy Patinkin. His performance was exceptional and deserves applause. Otherwise this show is mediocre and the writing, horrible.

well balanced thriller which keeps you on your toes by intelligently designed plots and results

Author: Adeel Ahmed from Pakistan
27 January 2013

few days ago i was at my friend's place when i first heard of this show 'homeland' and my very first question was 'whats the plot?'. while he was letting me in on the plot i was like here we go! another biased American show glorifying the military and the CIA. but when i started watching it, to my utmost surprise, it wasn't biased. for once somebody in the holly wood has tried to shed some light on that side of the story which is deliberately swept under the carpet. one of the few reasons why 'homeland' just recently won the golden globe and has a wide viewership is because it doesn't take sides but let you choose and decide for yourself who has been wronged and who is doing wrong! one may find minor flaws in the story at times but all in all it's nice to watch.

Mandy Patinking & Claire Danes Chemistry!!!! Wow!!!

Author: closesquarters from Wisconsin
17 December 2012

How can I say anything negative about Homeland. One of, and arguably the best drama action series ever filmed.

Mandy Patinkin... you are amazing! If you don't win best supporting actor in the next Emmy Awards... something is wrong with the system. And your bizarre chemistry with Claire Danes is not something to be ignored. You two on camera together absolutely command the attention of viewers... (It's weirdly powerful stuff). Congrats to you two and keep up the good work. I just love when things come together perfectly... and Homeland is just the ticket in this case.

Looking forward to awards for the fruits of your labor... and to season 3 of Homeland.

Take care!

Interesting in places...just

Author: B24 from Arizona
28 February 2013

The sole redeeming quality of the series thus far is that it avoids straying too far from Washington, D.C. Otherwise -- to steal a conceit borrowed from Happy Days -- it clearly jumped the shark a long time ago. To borrow still another aspect of televised dramas, I would say its nearest comparable series is one not usually associated with spy stories and the like. As I was watching it develop, so slowly that it was possible to skip some of the episodes and go three or four more without losing the thread, I was reminded less of the Bourne Supremacy or Manchurian Candidate and more of the soap opera Days of Our Lives. The main characters fail to remain 'in character' as it were but mutate in and out of each others' lives depending on a story line that meanders from one crisis to another.

There are some solid acting skills at work here from time to time, minus antic facial expressions of Claire Danes, so annoying one feels compelled to throw a shoe at the screen were it not for the fact she changes them so rapidly it would likely be misplaced.

Brilliant show

Author: 851222 from Lithuania
29 April 2012

Greetings from Lithuania.

Going to be short here.

This show is definitely the best one i saw in 2012 yet.

The acting is outstanding especially from the two leads.

This is brilliantly written, smart and realistic show.

It's very interesting, what they will show in a season two cause the series climax is completely spell-binding.

As it is a TV serial, most every episode ends with an obligatory twist or turn or revelation about one of the characters. Unlike other shows , these revelations are not contrived or unrealistic.

This is a must see for all people who enjoys good shows.

Simply excellent!

Author: frolicfrog from France
27 December 2011

Hi,

This show is truly excellent! I can't wait to see the next episode, which is rare to me... ;-)

Many possibilities open and so many questions we have in mind while all seem possible. Much much better than 24 or some other shows around the same subject.

In France, TV shows are always about cops, never about terrorism. Why ? In England, they are some good shows but very often very slow, too slow. Homeland is simply perfect (until now).

Thanks a lot to all!

Cheers.

Homeland's Season 2 Overall

Author: manos-26 from Thessaloniki, Greece
21 July 2013

Homeland is a masterpiece. It started with a really strong 1st season that made you stay tuned no matter what. However many fans of the show found that the second season fell short of their expectations and that a few episodes during the end of the season lacked plausibility. Well I have to totally disagree with them and say that Homeland's 2nd season is a masterpiece as well.

I have to admit that as approaching to the finale, some episodes seemed a little extreme and hyperbolic. But after watching the 2nd season finale I have to say that I take everything back! So many things were explained and in the most unexpected way. Every weird moment suddenly transformed into a well-written requirement that lead to this triumphant closure.

Hating episodes is easy but it's the big picture that we must see. It is true that every episode must be able to stand alone but let's don't forget that Homeland is a serial drama. And serial dramas have transition episodes. After all what Homeland's writers pulled is impressive. Make transition episodes action packed!

It's '24' for old people...

Author: Themis Katsimichas (Themis Katz) from Athens, Greece
9 December 2012

... and I don't mean a more "mature" audience. I actually mean old people.

I've only seen season 1 and these are my thoughts on it:

It has half the cast of '24'. It has half the writers&exec. producers from '24'. It even has the musician of '24'. The twists and turns of the plot, on who is who, even the morals of the characters, are from '24'.

I don't know, if the 'Homeland' story development seems more plausible from '24' because it takes more than a day to see it through, but that doesn't necessarily make it better.

I've also read about how "good American TV drama" it is, and I would like to remind the fellow viewers, that it's a remake. It's "good Israeli TV drama", although, admittedly, I haven't seen the original one. But, it looks like an American remake of an Israeli remake of '24'...

The fact that it has less adrenaline-driven scenes and more f-words and sex scenes, doesn't necessarily make it better. And because of that alone, I summarize it as "24 for old people". If it was for a more "mature" audience, it would be half '24'/half 'Rubicon'.

In any case, all this, is my frustration for wanting something new and great and original and gritty and heart-stopping and I was led to believe that 'Homeland' was all that.

Best I've seen in years

Author: bullzeyeno1 from United States
12 January 2012

This is my first review on IMDb (unless I posted long ago and forgot). I wanted to express how much I enjoyed Homeland's first season. Though it shares the same creators as "24", I was not aware of that fact until after I watched the finale and while there are certainly some similarities, I think they have created a series in "Homeland" that for the most part breaks the mold of the TV thriller.

What particularly stands out to me is the idea of using two primary perspectives: one of the cat (Carrie) and one of the supposed mouse (Brody). The result of such a decision is that both characters are humanized. The audience is given an opportunity to share in their qualities and flaws alike. I'm not sure I've seen this before on screen in a show where you are given a window into both sides of a game in which there is presumably one good side and one bad side. In literature, I've only seen this setup in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

The acting is also excellent. Claire Danes (whom I admittedly haven't seen since Romeo + Juliet) is thrilling as the manic, obsessive CIA analyst who embarks on a personal mission to find the truth. Damien Lewis (whom I have heard of but never personally seen) is borderline chilling as he readjusts to life in the US after 8 years of near-total isolation in a dark room in Iraq. I also cannot move on without commending Mandy Patinkin for his work as Saul Berenson. Comparatively, we know little about his character beyond his failing marriage, but it is easy to embrace him as the calming force in Carrie's life.

As it is a TV serial, most every episode ends with an obligatory twist/turn or revelation about one of the characters. Unlike other shows (often including 24), these revelations are not contrived or unrealistic. This is a series that is measured and calculated, so for those expecting another 24, the number of dead bodies is few.

I can say that the one grievance I have (and it may very well be true of most shows/movies) is that Carrie often seems the only person in the entire CIA capable of putting pieces together. All in all, it is an outstanding procedural drama that often keeps you at the edge of your seat.

Excellent season 1 finale

Author: lagrabavana from United States
20 December 2011

Generally people write review after watching pilot episode but i am writing after season 1 finale because i think just by watching one episode a show cant be judged properly.

This is an amazing TV series and all episodes are very well written and acted. All the actors are very convincing. Every episode has something new to offer. It is full of thrill and surprises.

The last episode of season 1 may be one of the most well crafted episode. The moments are so tensed that they are sometime unbearable to watch.

Hats off to everybody who was involved in creating such a TV series.