IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Flawless TV

Author: GaiaOnlyKnows from United Kingdom
26 December 2011

This series is truly great television. On every single level it works and the judgemental aspect of my brain can only give up finding something to criticise. First of all the show deals with the subject of terrorism in a very mature way, there is no ideology behind the script and every perspective is treated fairly. The characters have a real depth rarely seen on screen which is backed up by a lot of very solid acting. Indeed, the conflicting elements to the central characters which makes the show so great would unlikely be pulled off without actors of the calibre of Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Mandy Patinkin and Morena Baccarin (also particular kudos to the daughter played by Morgan Saylor - one to watch out for in the future). Not only do you watch these characters go through some truly weird and strained circumstances, you really feel it too. The story also has a depth and complexity to it that has only been seen in shows such as The Wire, Lost, The Sopranos and Generation Kill. There are no plot holes that distract from the often quite tense narrative and despite what you think of the overall subject I would be surprised if this show didn't totally suck you in. This is a very real, well thought out and well executed show. Two big thumbs up to everyone involved. For everybody else - go watch it.

Brilliant work! Catchy and deep. Can't wait to see more.

Author: Marek P from United States
17 September 2011

The cast looks like it connects very well. Story as of episode 1 is very interesting, dark, and open to many different ways to keep it going. There is one main story throughout the episode, but with many side stories that seem to start of a little slowly. It gets you wondering and trying to connect the dots every minute of the show. It's like the TV series "Life", but without the funny part and in with good drama. To be more specific it reminds me a little bit of Bourne Trilogy but twisted a little bit. Much recommended to anyone between 18-30 years of age or anyone who likes to watch media about CIA work. Not a lot of action just yet, but it is cooking up to be a good one.

Decent show spoiled by too many errors

Author: Dev Dev from Malaysia
3 February 2012

Any show that sets itself out as a 'real world' scenario should at least make some attempt to get its story straight.

Throughout the whole season, there were so many 'mistakes' that made me just want to stop watching.

*spoilers* E.g. 1. FBI raids into a dark building and shoots without thinking. There were people doing morning prayers in that building. Why would it be pitch black again?

2. A good explanation was given by Brody about the requirements of the faith to cleanse their hands and feet. Yet when he was praying with the son of the terrorist, both of them were wearing shoes INSIDE the house while praying.

3. Why does his wife keep calling him Brody?

4. Vice president is coming just days after a bomb explosion, and security is tight, but ONLY on the day of the event? I guess the police must think that terrorists don't actually attempt to sneak in the night before. I have shitty police here, but even they manage to shine a spotlight at the rear seat of my car for any given check.

5. Guy confesses to you that he's been lying about EVERYTHING he told (under oath?). 1 minute later you find out his most recent story about his partner dying is totally not true. Your decision? Totally drop any doubt you may have about him since you now love him.

This is one of those few shows where I was actually rooting for Brody to blow himself and everyone in that room up just because the good guys are such bumbling idiots.

Marathoned over 2 days: my thoughts...

Author: DaelinX from Denmark
20 December 2011

Okay, firstly, I gotta say, I watched the entire series believing that there would only be one season and the story would be finished by the finale episode. This is because I saw that IMDb listed the show's running period as (2011) only and not the usual (2011-), meaning its ongoing - when did they change that? That was kinda stupid of me, I guess. Anyway, I see that the show's been renewed for a second season, which is great, because this show is very good. Just a heads up, though, that my false belief kinda affected my view of the show while I was watching it, especially the last episode where I was expecting everything to wrap up.

Like I said, this show is good, very good. Its basically what AMC's Rubicon should have been like. Its very much in the same vein, with the themes of paranoia, conspiracy theories and dealing with the whole intelligence business. Only in Homeland, stuff actually happens, the plot moves along and it keeps you interested. Rubicon had a good premise but literally nothing happened on that show and that's why it got cancelled. Homeland has a bit "tinfoil hat" premise too, but the story and characters are so complex, you accept that in favor of just being entertained. Both Damien Lewis's and Claire Danes's respective characters are in danger of becoming cliché, but because they are so complex and so well acted, you find yourself drawn to these people. The all-important guessing of whether Brody is turned or not is not just a question of if, but also why or why not. And Carrie Mathison is not just some government suit with a patriotic zeal to root out the terrorist conspiracy - her obsession comes from somewhere darker, as well. Mandy Patinkin is pretty close to being a show-stealer too, with his laser-wit and deeply caring Saul.

The middle episodes are probably the highlight of the season. That's when most seems to be at stake for the main characters and before the big reveal on the whole 'turned' question. After that, the story kinda looses some of its momentum (still exciting, though) and the finale episode could be called anti-climactic by some, but I was still thrilled by the very last scene, which (when re-viewed with the facts straight) set up the second season nicely.

I'm really looking forward to what will happen in season two, for as I say, I thought this one was all there was right until the cut-to-black of the final scene, where I then checked the show's Wikipedia page. Now the ending definitely makes more sense. As for the story, the cat is pretty much out of the bag on the big question of turned/not turned and the future of our heroine is looking not so bright, so where the story will go next, I shall wait to see.

Easy 9/10 based on the acting of the main cast and the thrilling story.

Much better than 24

Author: iGlad from United Kingdom
18 October 2011

people have tried to compare it to 24 but its much better than that even i loved the show, why? because it's much more believable and convincing. The scripting is great the dating is great the sub plots are great and the main plot is something we cannot put our finger on it, is he or isn't he? I love the way it's going and i have my views on which i'll keep to myself. I think Claire Danesas being slightly unhinged and manic is brilliant as that actually helps her to get the job done in a strange kind of way.

Excellent show, which the main networks couldn't or wouldn't be able to produce..........

Really nothing to recommend

Author: skyflyer7 from United Kingdom
12 November 2012

I've watched only the first five episodes so far, and i'm starting to think that's enough. I hoped this series would be pretty good. Although, so far i've felt totally disappointed with it. I didn't have high expectations of it but i had hoped it would at least be moderately entertaining. The show is entirely made up of unlikeable characters. Literally all the main characters are annoying. The CIA agent is a completely unbelievable character that makes it virtually impossible to suspend your disbelief and get into the (weak) story. Her part is poorly acted and scripted and is probably the biggest turn-off of the series for me. Sergeant Brody is so dull, boring and often (again) unlikeable i am left not caring if he's turned or not, which seems to be the supposed mystery of the whole thing. There's very little story so far. It seems like every now and again, one of the main characters will start speaking Arabic (as if that in itself implicates them as a possible terrorist) which seems to be trying to serve as a "twist" to draw the series out. What seems to have been forgotten is you can't "twist" a story that isn't there yet! That said, anyone who thought Lost was good will probably think this is too, being seemingly of the same formula. I notice others compare Homeland unfavourably to 24. Personally, i'm not a fan of 24. but i can see why fans of that wouldn't like this. There's zero action in Homeland. I can only imagine the most paranoid and xenophobic of viewers really getting into this (which is probably why it won awards). I only gave this 3 rather than zero because i haven't seen it all. As my flatmates are watching it, i'll prob sit in and catch some more and update this review if need be.

If CIA operates anything like HOMELAND we're doomed!

Author: C. Scott from east coast, US
14 January 2013

Sounds interesting until you watch it, and if you're like me you tend to pick it's bones like turkey on Thanksgiving. Carrie has an affair with Brody to get closer to gathering information, but she actually falls for him, then has a nervous breakdown & acts all jittery & crazy. Yet she's still allowed to be in charge & hold her rank in the CIA while crying at every drop of a hat? Puleeeese! And the Brody character is not only titled an American hero, but he's a Congressman scouted to be the Vice President's running mate. That in itself would be a lot on his plate, but where does he find time to plot terrorist activities, stay abreast of military & presidential affairs, while hiding from press who usually dog any political appointee, and sneak off from his wife & kids while running off to meet Carrie for weekends in little cabins in the woods? Puleeeese! Mandy Pantikin co-stars as Saul,whose been with the CIA 35 years. He trained Carrie & placed her in the field, and though not her boss anymore, he's still protective of her & she looks to him as a mentor. However, she rarely takes his advice these days & constantly runs off on tangents which, in real life, would either get her killed or most likely stripped of rank & fired. I really like Pantikin but sad to see him take on a role of such a complacent character. Give him some spit & fire! Puleeeeese!! I'm bored with it now & probably will drop it altogether. Hopefully before the next time (otherwise pretty) Claire Danes' cry face freezes that way...

An annoyingly stupid depiction...

Author: Cook E. Munster from United States
24 December 2012

Annoying characters, meaningless drama and absolutely no attention to detail.

This show would have you believe that the major CIA operations are based on the whims and fancies of an out of control, emotionally unstable over grown child. What a joke! The whole series is characterized by painful stupidity and unbelievable laxness on the part of both terrorists and CIA operatives.

There is one scene where a terrorist lies down ON TOP of the backseat of a car with a blanket over himself and the driver never notices. Even when she is stopped at a police check point by a cop with a torch (security for the vice president) no one notices anything!!! Really?

In addition to all the stupidity, the show is also borderline offensive to Arabs.

I wish I had not bought the whole damn season on amazon.

THE WIRE still reigns supreme as (by far) the best drama ever.... ...is there no one else?

Thought Provoking Television

Author: JoeC345 from United States
8 August 2013

If you want to watch some inane shoot em up show about terrorism where America can do no wrong and always kills the enemy, there are plenty of those available. However if you want a more in depth look at the causalities of terrorist attacks and the people that devote their lives to preventing them, then Homeland is a show for you.

One thing that has bothered me for years in shows like 24 is the stereotypical views that they promote about the non-traditional Americans such as Muslims. Every single Islamic member that is shown in shows like 24 ends up having some ties to terrorism and is inherently evil. It doesn't stop there though, any deviation of what is thought to be the ideal American lifestyle leads to trouble in such single minded simplistic shows, but I digress.

This is a review about Homeland which is a surprisingly good entertainment. It starts with Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes in an astonishing performance) learning that an American POW has been turned and is now working for a terrorist organization. Later when an American POW, Gunnery Sergeant Nicolas Brody (Damian Lewis), is rescued she starts to think that he may have been the one she was warned about.

WIthout any proof or any real probable cause, she opens an investigation and begins tracking his movements to see if anything raises suspicions. Another bothersome thing about many other shows is the way the lead characters of those shows someone has the audacity and ability to flout both federal and state laws without any repercussions. Homeland does not let any of it's characters get off so easy. If any character is in the wrong in any way they are appropriately chastised for it. In addition to Claire Danes and Damian Lewis awards worthy performances, Mandy Patinkin's performance as upper level CIA officer and Carrie Mathison's mentor is phenomenal.

Not wanting to give away to much of this amazing plot I will end this review here. However I will say that even though the first few episodes of season one are a little slow, it is to be expected since automatically leading into the action is a good way to turn an astute brilliantly crafted show into another asinine action filled debacle.

Excellent drama

Author: vink0286 from Netherlands
19 September 2011

Excellent drama with very good acting all around. The story has the potential to keep us guessing what is really going on for some time I think. The story about an American marine that gets saved after being held captive for years by terrorists is engaging and well thought out. The only weak link in this is the storyline of the husband and wife that just seems to be a little bit forced. Its also good to see Mandy Patinkin again who I think is a wonderful actor. Damian Lewis is as always giving his all with moments of brilliance. Only Claire Danes looks likes she does not completely believe what she is saying but I am sure that she will grow into her role. I hope the writers can keep up the standard of the first episode. 8/10 from me and hoping it will get more in the future. 1 and 3/4 thumbs up!!

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]