IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 28: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Simply excellent!

Author: frolicfrog from France
27 December 2011

This show is truly excellent! I can't wait to see the next episode, which is rare to me... ;-)

Many possibilities open and so many questions we have in mind while all seem possible. Much much better than 24 or some other shows around the same subject.

In France, TV shows are always about cops, never about terrorism. Why ? In England, they are some good shows but very often very slow, too slow. Homeland is simply perfect (until now).

Thanks a lot to all!

An average show with some glaring errors

Author: viv-1435 from Ramadi, Iraq
25 October 2014

I thought this show was average at best and didn't quite live up to all the hype that it attracted when it was first released. There are way too many loose ends in the plot and for me most of the actors didn't do their best job. Few things that make this show stupid:

1. Carrie Mathison: Her personality, stunts, shenanigans. I mean, do CIA agents really behave like cranky teenagers? How does someone so emotionally unstable even land such a job? And...CIA or Military, an order is an order! But Carrie will have none of it. Her colleagues themselves had to shoot her to make things clear. LOL

With her petite frame she dodges bullets on rooftops in Beirut, gets slammed face first onto a tank by one of the world's deadliest terrorists, is 20 meters from an exploding briefcase but ends up fine. Is she secretly also a Navy SEAL?

Also, whats up with her facial expressions? Confused, Angry, Tense...all mixed up! Textbook psycho woman, but still somehow an active CIA agent.

There are loads of other things that make absolutely no sense.

2. Peter Quinn threatening his boss David Estees. Makes CIA look like a drug cartel where anyone can hold a gun to anyone. He threatened the Director of the bloody CIA in his own house. And got away with it LMAO!

3. Majid Javadi, the 2nd highest dude in the Iranian intelligence murders his wife and daughter in law in cold blood in a residential area in the USA? Are you kidding me? There were a million discreet ways to do that, but an experienced intelligence officer couldn't think of any? Please.

4. At the end of Season 3, Fara is an innocent but talented girl who has just joined the CIA. Come season 4 and she's in Islamabad. On the streets. With no protection from the agency or the embassy. So she became a field agent in like 3 months? What did her already p*ssed off dad have to say about that?

5. A total of 5 dudes pretty much run the entire show at the CIA. And they always give in to Carrie's incessant rants.

6. The fake accents in Pakistan. Oh my God! I died laughing at that one. I guess nobody bothered to do any research about how Urdu is not Hindi.Many of the Pakistani characters were actually Indian. But what was on screen was not even Hindi. It sounded ridiculously funny!

The only true saving grace for Homeland is Mandy Patinkin. His performance was exceptional and deserves applause. Otherwise this show is mediocre and the writing, horrible.

Best I've seen in years

Author: bullzeyeno1 from United States
12 January 2012

This is my first review on IMDb (unless I posted long ago and forgot). I wanted to express how much I enjoyed Homeland's first season. Though it shares the same creators as "24", I was not aware of that fact until after I watched the finale and while there are certainly some similarities, I think they have created a series in "Homeland" that for the most part breaks the mold of the TV thriller.

What particularly stands out to me is the idea of using two primary perspectives: one of the cat (Carrie) and one of the supposed mouse (Brody). The result of such a decision is that both characters are humanized. The audience is given an opportunity to share in their qualities and flaws alike. I'm not sure I've seen this before on screen in a show where you are given a window into both sides of a game in which there is presumably one good side and one bad side. In literature, I've only seen this setup in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

The acting is also excellent. Claire Danes (whom I admittedly haven't seen since Romeo + Juliet) is thrilling as the manic, obsessive CIA analyst who embarks on a personal mission to find the truth. Damien Lewis (whom I have heard of but never personally seen) is borderline chilling as he readjusts to life in the US after 8 years of near-total isolation in a dark room in Iraq. I also cannot move on without commending Mandy Patinkin for his work as Saul Berenson. Comparatively, we know little about his character beyond his failing marriage, but it is easy to embrace him as the calming force in Carrie's life.

As it is a TV serial, most every episode ends with an obligatory twist/turn or revelation about one of the characters. Unlike other shows (often including 24), these revelations are not contrived or unrealistic. This is a series that is measured and calculated, so for those expecting another 24, the number of dead bodies is few.

I can say that the one grievance I have (and it may very well be true of most shows/movies) is that Carrie often seems the only person in the entire CIA capable of putting pieces together. All in all, it is an outstanding procedural drama that often keeps you at the edge of your seat.

Excellent season 1 finale

Author: lagrabavana from United States
20 December 2011

Generally people write review after watching pilot episode but i am writing after season 1 finale because i think just by watching one episode a show cant be judged properly.

This is an amazing TV series and all episodes are very well written and acted. All the actors are very convincing. Every episode has something new to offer. It is full of thrill and surprises.

The last episode of season 1 may be one of the most well crafted episode. The moments are so tensed that they are sometime unbearable to watch.

Hats off to everybody who was involved in creating such a TV series.

Brilliant Mixture

Author: gravenholt60 from United States
19 December 2011

One of the most interesting mixtures of characters and plot lines that I have seen. The main story is well developed, with interesting side stories that twist the main concept into a convoluted and emotional drama. It isn't until the season develops that you become convinced that the Sargent is in fact a terrorist, and yet, in this latest episode he fails to blow himself up! The actors are excellent, the writing is great, and the pacing is perfect... what happens next?I love the fact that the show plays upon the two-sided nature of the bipolar condition, the 'manic' side of which is often accompanied by intense emotions and mental clarity. Very interesting and ground breaking television in my opinion. I am looking forward to every episode.

Author: kikkapi20 from usa
17 January 2015

This is how it goes, and the author did the following, pick a real life political situation and twist it around while drunk or under drugs. Add some facts with lots of impossible imaginary incidents, then wake up from the hangover to see all is wrong and does not add up. It is all about over sized terrorists, CIA screw ups and characters that are lost and jumping places. You cannot fool educated viewers with all this crap, like shooting a scene in Morocco with men dressed as Jordanians and women dressed like Egyptians and say it is Beirut. The author, producer, and director should have done more research to convince us, it is another "24" but here Jack Bauer is a Psycho - Cuckoo blonde named Carie Do not waste your time on this, slow boring and does not add up!

Starts of good, then crashes and burns

Author: inc-133-70013
14 December 2014

Reviews say that Carrie is unlikeable as a lead. I watched first two seasons and didn't understand why, I liked her very much. Vigilante intelligence operative isn't unlikeable thing, we all love Jack Bauer...

But when you get to season 3, you suddenly realize that her "I just saw jar full of spiders eating each other" - type of facial expression is basically all that she does, aside from whining and screaming. And it really gets abrasive. But it's all that happens in this show. Actual action and plot twisting is so scarcely peppered in, that it doesn't really redeem all the yelling and crying. And boy is this show depressive.

Makes you wonder why characters don't choose a different line of work.

Introduction of character named Peter Quinn was last hope of actually cool and able character to cheer for, but by Season 4, he joins the whine train and spends all the time doing nothing but being sad.

It would probably work if characters were believable. But they're actually strangely distant. By season 4, it's still unclear if Carrie and Saul are friends or just colleagues. Tiny shows of emotion here and there are ruined in next 10 minutes. Brody family drama started off strong and then just... faded into half-executed ideas. Carrie's and Brody's "love"-theme is too weird to even digest. It's supposed to be secret love between public enemies, but any other book or movie on this topic is thousand times better.

So, Homeland. A show that wants to be a drama and action/espionage show, but ends up being neither. Just tons of people being disgruntled and sad.

Great when I first started watching it, but looking back it makes little sense

Author: Peter Harris from Massachusetts, USA
17 July 2013

I watched the first season in 2 days and really liked it (not loved it, but it was good). I still have not gotten back to it and watched season 2, though. But though I enjoyed watching it, when I think about it, this show is pretty bad. The plot is all over the place, Carrie is a bitch, first Brody seems like he might be a terrorist, then maybe not, then yeah, he's probably a terrorist, then Carrie f#cks him (seriously, what the HELL?) then he seems like a cool guy and then he's not. It really seems like the writers have zero idea where they are going with this.

Still haven't gotten around to the second season since there are so many better shows to watch. I probably will watch it at some point, but I'm in no hurry.

Feels like a draft of what could have been a really good show.

Author: Yaiza from Denmark
7 April 2013

This is a good show, no doubt, but to me it is a disappointment. I was expecting a smarter product, a serious depiction of a complex subject. Because they had it all: an interesting story, good actors, a huge production. Instead they deliver this flat soap-opera, full of clichés, bidimensional characters, weak concepts, predictable lines... Really disappointing! What a shame!

I'll throw some examples to illustrate my point. Regarding the characters, for instance: The mother, Jess: such a simple-minded housewife, selfish and cold. Can this be a real woman? It makes me think of Mad Men's Betty Draper; they have attributes in common, but Betty is 3D, so complex and subtle, whereas Jess is just an annoying character, boring to the limit. Then you have Mike. Is this a man or a monkey?! Can he think at all? Amazing. To say nothing of Dana, the daughter. In a bad mood for two seasons. Unbearable. And she has absolute power over practically every grown-up! WTH. And "the Arabs". All of them weird by nature, it seems. Com'on! And Ayleen. Do they really expect us to believe this character?! Insulting. And Saul ie the good guy. So good he's terribly predictable. I know you need to have a good guy in the story, but this is almost Disney!

Anyway. Then there is the way these characters talk and move. Carrie is exhaustive, overacted. Jess is such a perfect American housewife it makes you laugh. The CIA guys are so devoted is beyond reality. Those lines, please! Some dialogues are so Western-hero they are almost naif...

Of course the settings are great, and the effects, that kind of things. But when it comes to the cinematographic stuff, the script, the editing, it just seems this was a draft for what could have been a really good show. I wish the team behind "The Wire" could have had a look at that draft!

Homeland Needs a Parachute - Oxygen is Thin Up Here

Author: Unbilled_Role from United States
28 December 2012

I watched Homeland with anticipation during the first season. This program grew predictable and less believable by the start of Season 2. Here are some of the strengths and weaknesses of this show:

Wonderful acting by all of the teens, particularly Morgan Saylor (his daughter)

It's a mixed bag with Danes in the lead. Her expressions are overly-animated, irritating, and flat. This in itself provides a distraction in nearly every episode. I've seen her do better in other roles.

There is not much chemistry between the 2 leads. (Carrie and Brody). Their emotional bond feels plastic and stereotypical. I find this to be one of the most disappointing aspects of Homeland.

Rupert Friend and Damian Lewis both do a very fine job. But Lewis' responses are sometimes so abrupt, that it diffuses the power of his persona.

Patinkin gives a lovely delivery, and his character is a nice counterpoint to Carrie. His periodic Hebrew prayers are featured with an obvious healing presence, but this throws the spiritual balance off.

It seems like this show is promoting pro-Israel viewpoints. As others have said, I also sense a political agenda in this program. With the exception of the Danny Galvez character, I can find no other positive role models for Middle Eastern men or women portrayed in this show.

* SPOILER alerts for Season 2 are below *

The writing in certain scenes bubbles over with nonsense. In one key scene, Carrie is entering a building to capture a deadly enemy. But one thing is off -- she just happens to forget to bring a weapon. And her proclivity for self-destruction in the face of imminent danger becomes foolish and tiresome after a while. In another climatic scene, Brody reveals his involvement in aiding the enemy. But he reveals his true past in all of about 10 minutes with Carrie... the sheer brevity of this scene was deflating and anti-climatic.

Season 3 of Homeland, anyone? I'm not feeling too motivated at this point.

Could somebody give me an aspirin, and a cup of mint tea? Skip the sugar.