IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 24: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Propagana yes, distorted yes, but still the best show on TV

Author: bobbobwhite from san ramon ca
15 April 2013

Claire Danes is the best actor in the best series on TV, thus she is outstanding and unparalleled. She has always totally inhabited her characters, and she is a worthy successor to Meryl Streep's esteemed title as World's Best Chameleon actor. She is absolutely believable in every scene. She is Carrie, CIA agent extraordinaire, and no one else. Mandy Patinkin, as her boss, is also at the top of his game here.

Yes, this so dangerous, foreboding and often creepy CIA tale about terrorism and its horrible personal fallout is wonderful TV and shows what can be done in a quality cable TV series with a complex tale that cannot be unwound in a 2 hour movie. It takes many hours of story to unpeel all the layers of the strange onion that is the CIA, or at least the entertainment version of it. Red herrings abound throughout, moving from "is it that guy?" to another guy in a flash, keeping us guessing who is doing all that national security damage that this CIA says is always critical and crucial and deadly, and always consumes the full life of any agent at the expense of all else, and even makes some of them ill or crazy or even traitors.

No opinions are stated here on whether the story is realistic and whether the events and personal interactions depicted truly happen in the real CIA. Of course the story is dramatized, as much of real CIA work is numbingly boring and mundane, but of course who would watch that?

The story, supporting cast, mood lighting and soundtrack, locations, and camera work are so outstanding that they rival the best feature film work. Of course, odd story twists, dramatic effects, and chew the scenery acting also abound here, but so much of it is necessary to propel the story for a full series and keep it threatening and scary with no comforting let up, ever.

This level of TV quality is what everyone always thought TV could be if it really tried. And, after watching this accomplished series, you will never again trust that strange neighbor of yours. You know, the one who comes and goes at such odd hours. Hmmm.

More of the same old, same old.

Author: zeroro123
23 September 2012

This show may have superb acting and an interesting cast, but it's just simply not enough for me to want to keep watching. Plot holes, continuity troubles, and predictable storytelling make this show fall face first where it otherwise could have soared. It merely plays off of other "thrilling", "high-energy" shows of times past (such as "24","The Shield", etc.)and expects the audience to not realize they've seen it all before. Originality is not encouraged by the writers of this show, rather, comfortable familiarity. What's worse is they're actually being praised for this by receiving emmys and recognition. Prepare yourselves for the next iteration of the same show next fall, Tuesdays at 6/7 central.

Subtly raciest TV series

Author: asabbagh from United Arab Emirates
18 September 2012

I am shocked that Orbit Showtime Middle East premium TV provider has chosen this TV series, because of how it portrayed 1.3 Billion Muslims and 300 Million Arabs. The reasons for my comments are: - The first episode where the lady is selecting the "Hareem" for the prince:

1. Where is this coming from? the meaning of Hareem is the wives of the man which is limited to 4 wives. This was depicted as prostitute for 2 years contract.

2. Second, the lady asks her of she minds anal sex. Islam forbids anal sex. So it is strange to associate this "religious" Amir with all this nonsense - The officer Brody is a "suspect" and his privacy is violated constantly, because he is became Muslim?

This Series promote discrimination against Muslim and spread wide misconception about Muslims and Arabs. If that is the goal of this Series, I think they are achieving it and I will keep my mouth shut.

Obama's favorite TV show.

Author: Francisco Lameiras from Portugal
28 November 2014

Yeah,it's true. Homeland is actually US President's favorite show.How can a president give support to a TV show so polemic about his country like Homeland is about United States,you ask. Well i can't tell you the reason why is that but i do understand that Obama's "movieaholic" side talks louder when it comes to this special TV show. Homeland is such an emotive and sensational story about Carrie who is a CIA chief that has her life completely focused on her job and her country.The main action theme? This so common but interesting - ISIS vs US Government. So every episode is full of life with all it's madness, decision and risk that follows this confront putting you on the side of US,like we are used to.Still we can't forget the way that the producers explores all the dark side of this man and women work on the field (CIA people) it might be a bit to deep, making it polemic in one way but quite real in another. I gave it 10 and i'm sure that a lot of people that follows this show think the same as well. It's just brilliant!

(First Season)...Fluctuates from Fine to Fair

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
28 May 2014

At Times a Truly Gripping Political/Espionage/War Show that did have a bit of Struggle Maintaining the Intrigue for All of the 12 Episodes of the First Season. There are Times when Things get a bit Soapy and Some of the Behavior Stretches Credulity a Bit. But it is Melodramatic TV so Some of that can be Expected.

It Rebounds Nicely when it Falls into that Aforementioned Malaise with what Everyone Wants to See, Spies and Action, Double Crosses and Authority Figures (especially Government Agencies) Breaking Bad.

The Show is Sometimes Clever and at Other Times Clunky. It Sputters here and there and it does seem to Labor Occasionally, but not to the Overall Enjoyment. The Casting is Good and All the Actors to Their Best to Bring Things Along with Believability and Quirky Charm.

The Flashbacks Tend to be Instructive but a bit Overdone going for Pathos Mostly and a Background for Current Events Behavior. The Arab Bad Guys are given Enough Sympathy to be more than One Dimensional. The United States is also Burdened with its Share of Evil Doings, some say too much, but Everything in the Show is a bit Heavy Handed.

Overall, it is Overrated but Slightly Better than Average for a Cable TV Series. The First Season was Good Enough for a Second and the Ending of Season One is both Disappointing and Enticing which is Typical of the Season in General. it Fluctuates from Fine to Fair and Back Again. The Rhythm is Off at Times but it does Manage to Bounce Back and since it has 12 Episodes Per there is a lot of Room for a Corrective Course.

Please don't make a season 4. IT ENDS PERFECTLY THIS WAY.

Author: amoooooor from Egypt
25 January 2014

I just finished watching season 3 of Homeland an American series based on an Israeli series called Prisoners of war. The story is new and it takes you to intelligence agencies fight, this time inside the USA. The series was full of problems when it came to address the Muslim characters. I hope I would get to see the day when American movie makers would even google the way Muslims talk and pray. The way the Muslim character prayer in the series is more of a Hindu than a Muslim.

The story line is really solid and you remain interested at every part of the series. All actors taking part in the production are mediocre, except for Claire Danes. She excelled into showing this motivated yet disturbed character she played. You swing between hating her into being in love with her character through out the story line.

I have no intention into adding any spoilers in here, but I just wished Showtime had decided to bringing Homeland into a close after season 3. The way this season ended could have made the series the best among American TV productions to come in terms with the audience. TV in America is totally dependent on money and ratings they don't mind to ruin their art sometimes for the sake of more dough. I liked Homeland (especially the third season) so much I definitely would sanely choose not to watch the next season.

Top-notch acting and extremely gripping

Author: poopascoops from United Kingdom
5 May 2015

I finished series 3 last night and I cannot believe how good this show was. I had heard of the hype but had somehow not seen any trailers or reviews on it prior to viewing. From the opening scene of series 1 the show grips you, you are hooked instantly and within the first 5 minutes the pace for the entire show is set. I won't go through each series and summarise them as that would give things away, I will instead explain what makes this show so great overall and why I consider it one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Pacing and Direction: As I said earlier from the opening scenes the pacing is set and it sticks to that throughout the entire show. It is incredibly fast paced, so many scenarios come and go but not once does it feel rushed, everything feels very polished and perfectly constructed. The action scenes are all well shot with minimal 'shaky cam' and feel well-choreographed. The choice of music is also very well done and help sets the scenes perfectly, whether it's to add excitement, tension or distress.

Characters and Acting: Possibly the greatest aspect of the entire show is the creation of characters and the people who were chosen to play them. Every single person, and I mean every single one, is faultless. Not one character doesn't fit or doesn't feel necessary; they all have a purpose they are all developed well and all acted sublimely. Carrie is a very detailed character who shows all sides to her personality that you could imagine, the stress who plays her is easily the strongest out of all the cast. Saul, Estes & Brody are the other main characters of the show and all occupy a large amount of screen time. They are all equally strong and well developed. The character development is very strong and you find yourself very connected to many of the characters and this is what makes this show so successful.

Storyline: So much goes on that you really have to keep focused or you will miss something key, so much changes and it develops and changes very frequently. The initial storyline is that of a US Marine who was captured and tortured for 8 years in Iran. He is captured and brought back to America where he is seen as a hero. Carrie however (a member of the CIA) suspects that he has been turned by his captives and has come back to America to carry out Terrorist activities against his country. That is how this roller-coaster of a journey begins and I will not say anymore as to not ruin anything!

Countless times I found myself binging on this show, easily watching 5-6 episodes at a time, it really is that addictive! If I had to pick any negatives it would be that sometimes scenarios can feel a little convenient and there are some minor plot holes but nothing that discourages me from giving this a top rating. It is much better than I initially expected and I would definitely recommend this to anyone! Go and watch it!

Not worth watching anymore

Author: rpete528 from United States
8 January 2014

This show was good when it first started. The idea of a POW returns home but is possibly a terrorist. The story idea was good but the series now is just all over the map. It got silly when the lead character, Carrie Mathison starts having sex with the return POW, Nicholas Brody. Her character is awful. She has sex with strangers, takes drugs for her mental instability, and she is either crying, yelling at Saul, or just making these awful distorted looking faces in every episode. It's above annoying to watch and I don't think Claire Danes is good for the lead role. Actually, the only likable character is Damian Lewis and he is the villain...we think. He's a bad guy, then he's a good guy (maybe), then he's a bad guy.....geez enough already. I loved him as Captain Winters in Band of Brothers and he pretty much is the only one that makes the show worth watching. The man can surely act. Then the show starts involving the daughter of the Brody's. She has issues and so forth and her character is almost as annoying as Claire Danes. Just a whiney snotty kid who seems like she is stoned half the time. Her acting is dry and not good. I don't know how many people auditioned for her role but they picked the wrong person. The show has come to an end for me. There is nothing to keep this interesting anymore and they should just end this thing already.

Homeland = big collection of unlikeable characters

Author: s k from United States
2 May 2015

This show is laughable from the point of view of unlikeable characters, non-believable story arcs, and questionable at best acting.

Never before have I seen such flat affect from so many characters.

Dana is insufferable. She's like some EMO teenager on too many sedatives.

Estes is equally insufferable. I don't think I've seen him smile once in two seasons.

Saul is the same. Deadpan. Expressionless. Emotionless. Ridiculous.

Then there's the obnoxious Jess. Whiny. Hypocritical. Loathsome.

Then there's Carrie. Good lord...somebody order up some more E.C.T. Please. (I swear...when she was going in for some "procedure", I thought she was going in for a lobotomy, not E.C.T.)

Then there's Mike. Totally forgettable.

Then there's Lauder...a PTSD on steroids.

Then there's Virgil, the obedient lap dog.

About the only tolerable character is Quinn, until he tanks because of his "love" for Carrie. (Wise up, dude. She's a psychopath.)

And then...there are the stupid, humorless, non-believable story arcs that are annoying at best, and the cheap soap-opera melodrama vs real drama.

And then there's the pacing...which is like watching paint dry.

And then there's the writing...which is as laughable as the one dimensional cut out characters.

Added all up...this show is not only less than the sum of its parts, the parts themselves are less than they should be.

What a grossly over-hyped, over-rated series.

highly NOT recommended

Author: chupixpanoramix
31 December 2014

This show is a typical high grade (imdb ratings) hype that is very common on this site. A lot of people is attracted by its high ratings, they think its a must see and then high rate is given without any critical thought.

Ratings aside, here is some focus points that could be useful to potential viewer:

characters - i am afraid that it is very hard to connect to any of the leading roles in this show which is a huge handicap. You wont be rooting for no one here.

storyline - if you care about consistency in a show move on this is not your thing. The spins, holes in plot and u-turns will make you angry.

realism - when a show deals with serious and controversial things like espionage, terrorism, USA-Islam relations you better be realistic. If you ask me this show is ignorantly ridiculous.

the drama element - the writers really tried to over overwhelm viewers with dramatical moments but they seems forced and artificial. If you compare this show with for instance Breaking Bad, where even a silence is making you bite your nails you'll get what i mean.

To conclude - if your criteria has been raised while watching The wire, Breaking bad, Mad men or House of cards you'll be disappointed. Don't let the ratings fool you, Homeland is not in the same league like the mentioned shows and is full of dull, chaotic and even ignorant moments.