IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 33: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Mandy Patinking & Claire Danes Chemistry!!!! Wow!!!

Author: closesquarters from Wisconsin
17 December 2012

How can I say anything negative about Homeland. One of, and arguably the best drama action series ever filmed.

Mandy Patinkin... you are amazing! If you don't win best supporting actor in the next Emmy Awards... something is wrong with the system. And your bizarre chemistry with Claire Danes is not something to be ignored. You two on camera together absolutely command the attention of viewers... (It's weirdly powerful stuff). Congrats to you two and keep up the good work. I just love when things come together perfectly... and Homeland is just the ticket in this case.

Looking forward to awards for the fruits of your labor... and to season 3 of Homeland.

Take care!

Top-notch acting and extremely gripping

Author: ATEreviews from United Kingdom
5 May 2015

I finished series 3 last night and I cannot believe how good this show was. I had heard of the hype but had somehow not seen any trailers or reviews on it prior to viewing. From the opening scene of series 1 the show grips you, you are hooked instantly and within the first 5 minutes the pace for the entire show is set. I won't go through each series and summarise them as that would give things away, I will instead explain what makes this show so great overall and why I consider it one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Pacing and Direction: As I said earlier from the opening scenes the pacing is set and it sticks to that throughout the entire show. It is incredibly fast paced, so many scenarios come and go but not once does it feel rushed, everything feels very polished and perfectly constructed. The action scenes are all well shot with minimal 'shaky cam' and feel well-choreographed. The choice of music is also very well done and help sets the scenes perfectly, whether it's to add excitement, tension or distress.

Characters and Acting: Possibly the greatest aspect of the entire show is the creation of characters and the people who were chosen to play them. Every single person, and I mean every single one, is faultless. Not one character doesn't fit or doesn't feel necessary; they all have a purpose they are all developed well and all acted sublimely. Carrie is a very detailed character who shows all sides to her personality that you could imagine, the stress who plays her is easily the strongest out of all the cast. Saul, Estes & Brody are the other main characters of the show and all occupy a large amount of screen time. They are all equally strong and well developed. The character development is very strong and you find yourself very connected to many of the characters and this is what makes this show so successful.

Storyline: So much goes on that you really have to keep focused or you will miss something key, so much changes and it develops and changes very frequently. The initial storyline is that of a US Marine who was captured and tortured for 8 years in Iran. He is captured and brought back to America where he is seen as a hero. Carrie however (a member of the CIA) suspects that he has been turned by his captives and has come back to America to carry out Terrorist activities against his country. That is how this roller-coaster of a journey begins and I will not say anymore as to not ruin anything!

Countless times I found myself binging on this show, easily watching 5-6 episodes at a time, it really is that addictive! If I had to pick any negatives it would be that sometimes scenarios can feel a little convenient and there are some minor plot holes but nothing that discourages me from giving this a top rating. It is much better than I initially expected and I would definitely recommend this to anyone! Go and watch it!

Excellent season 1 finale

Author: lagrabavana from United States
20 December 2011

Generally people write review after watching pilot episode but i am writing after season 1 finale because i think just by watching one episode a show cant be judged properly.

This is an amazing TV series and all episodes are very well written and acted. All the actors are very convincing. Every episode has something new to offer. It is full of thrill and surprises.

The last episode of season 1 may be one of the most well crafted episode. The moments are so tensed that they are sometime unbearable to watch.

Hats off to everybody who was involved in creating such a TV series.

Most Pathetic Season by ShowTime

Author: topgun634 from US
11 February 2015

Season 4 was the most pathetic. the writer and director should at least think what fabricated tales they have been forecasting. It has hurt the sentiments of local populace in Pakistan. The series should be immediately banned. Season 4 was the most pathetic. the writer and director should at least think what fabricated tales they have been forecasting. It has hurt the sentiments of local populace in Pakistan. The series should be immediately banned. Season 4 was the most pathetic. the writer and director should at least think what fabricated tales they have been forecasting. It has hurt the sentiments of local populace in Pakistan. The series should be immediately banned.

Ridiculous Stereotypes Galore

Author: deltaop from Rawalpindi, Pakistan
14 August 2015

I am going to be honest here. I wasn't very interested in the show from the start. It was over-acted, ridden with ridiculous plot holes and seemingly unrealistic scenarios. I watched it for cheap thrills; in between shows I liked or when I had nothing better to do.

All this changed when the show brought in the ridiculous agenda of stereotyping Muslims. From Tehran to Beirut, capitals of beautiful, progressive Muslim nations were depicted as absolute hellholes, laden with preconceived Western notions about Muslims.

Despite all that, I still watched the show on and off though. Never with any sort of interest, but to see how low its portrayal of the world's second largest religion could get. Personally, for me, the lowest point came with the start of Season 4 when Carrie comes to Pakistan.

Continuing with the same tradition, Homeland depicted Pakistan's capital, Islamabad, as a grimy dump where sewers run amok, gunfights and blasts occur on every corner and women shuffle around clad in extremely restrictive coverings. Even Urdu, the local language was used in an absolutely trivial manner with no attention paid to grammar and connotation.

Well, I invite the creators and writers of Homeland to come visit Islamabad for once. They will realize how far it is from the shantytown in South Africa where they shot the whole season. There would be wide paved roads sans potholes, greenery everywhere, tall mountains overlooking skyscrapers and planned residential areas along with women in dresses they chose to wear. In short, Homeland's depiction of Islamabad, and the Pakistani society in general, is as far away from reality as can be.

With what I have said so far, I am not running away from the notion of terrorism. Yes it exists, in pockets throughout the Muslim world. But you can't blame and stereotype a religion followed by billions to be inherently responsible for it. Extremists exist in every religion and every country. Stereotyping and pigeon-holing will only force Homeland's audience into seeing the whole Muslim community in that light - lacking progress and being anachronistic. An overwhelming majority of Muslims are not like that.

Conclusively, I believe even Fox News couldn't have painted a better mural of Islamophobia than what the team of Homeland have done.

It's neither intelligent nor well-written

Author: bbbl67 from Ottawa, Canada
13 June 2012

I know when we watch a work of fiction, that we have to suspend our disbelief, but they are just asking way too much of it here from us. There are so many plot holes in this thing. I have watched the first 6 episodes of 12 so far, and I don't think it's going to get much better. The CIA agents must be buffoons here, making such basic mistakes that would've gotten a mall security guard fired.

I watched the story mainly to see Maurena Baccarin, and Damian Lewis. Claire Danes is of secondary interest to me. I've been a fan of Damian Lewis since his series, Life. I've been a fan of Maurena Baccarin, since her days on Firefly & SG-1 (not so much on V, however).

I do enjoy the acting, just don't like the writing.

More of the same old, same old.

Author: zeroro123
23 September 2012

This show may have superb acting and an interesting cast, but it's just simply not enough for me to want to keep watching. Plot holes, continuity troubles, and predictable storytelling make this show fall face first where it otherwise could have soared. It merely plays off of other "thrilling", "high-energy" shows of times past (such as "24","The Shield", etc.)and expects the audience to not realize they've seen it all before. Originality is not encouraged by the writers of this show, rather, comfortable familiarity. What's worse is they're actually being praised for this by receiving emmys and recognition. Prepare yourselves for the next iteration of the same show next fall, Tuesdays at 6/7 central.

Over-hyped and overstretched

Author: Eye-dle from London, England
28 September 2012

Note: This is a very personal review based on a week-long viewing of whole series 1 of "Homeland".

As depicted in the series, the CIA is incapable of making correct (logical) deductions from the information they collect. Politicians see war as campaign tactics. Soldiers are either killing machines or gormless pawns. Depending on your dominant hemisphere, "Homeland" is either the most vivid and topical description of America at war or the least captivating series about the American war machine ever made.

The characters are all against fiction. By that I mean, they all lack the probable yarn that makes the audience want to spend 44 minutes with them. I won't even mention the caricature of Middle Easterners who are either sex-addict oil-princes or omnipotent brainwashing terrorists! This is of course if you view the story of a POW Marine turned terrorist as a poor depiction of American war (paranoid) machine.

However, if you view this as a study of America at war (with all its implications), then the characters are not only credible: they are flesh-and-bone bores just like you and I. The CIA's inefficiency in the show becomes a plausible reflection of the the intelligence services' shortcomings. The politicians are no longer ambitious liars but mirrors of all candidates to a public office. The series asks the audience to choose between those two conflicting views.

And I, for one, think that is the real raison d'etre of this over-hyped show. Hence the low score. It's not a series, it's a conceptual juggle.

A captivating series that keeps you on the hook season after season

Author: Omid Moradshahi from St. Paul, Minnesota
23 June 2017

Homeland seems to reinvent itself every season, NOT relying on a cookie cutter approach for each season that brings about a cringing sense of monotony that some other series eventually hit after 3 seasons. This show intertwines worldwide terrorism and foreign policies that bleed into the USA's domestic security. Clare Danes offers up unbelievable presence throughout, sometimes making it near impossible to realize that her acting is not real. I highly recommend this series for anyone who hasn't started it yet!

-Omid Moradshahi Critic

Note to the Homeland writers

Author: gmburt from 85048
19 June 2017

Please do not have Carrie deliver this line ever again after she has screwed the pooch and ruined someone else's life in a major way: "I am so, so sorry." I foresee this happening when she is compelled to explain to Frannie why the mission was always more important than she was.

There are a lot of glaring errors in this show, but if you just enjoy it as viewing entertainment and don't take it too seriously, it's a pretty good show.

One thing I have to mention is the fact that Carrie, with her bipolar issues and medication, would never have been hired by the CIA in the place. So that right off is an unbelievable item inserted solely to generate artificial plot twists.

The other, numerous, flaws in the show are covered adequately by other reviewers.