IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 32: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

It grows on you ...

Author: Razvan Rogoz from Romania
28 December 2015

After the first two episodes of Homeland I wasn't really that captivated. It seemed interesting but it was also paced really, really, really slow. The characters were not interesting (yet), the story hinted at something but not enough to spark interest and I was about to give up.

However, I've decided to keep watching. There are few movies with an 8.4 average on IMDb. Now I've almost finished season 1 and I like it, very much. The action picked up and it is moving far faster. It shocks you exactly in the right moments. I am curious about what is going to happen.

I'm not going to give details because 80% of what keeps me watching is pure curiosity. However, I must tell you that it is a very nice political / spy thriller, a combination of House of Cards with a psychological thriller.

So yes, watch it. There are many "WTF" moments in this movie, in a good sense. Just give it a chance and watch at least half a season. It gets better, promise.

A show that stays with you long after the final credits

Author: klamut1960 from Amherst, New York
24 December 2015

I have been watching Homeland since the beginning and have found every season to be among the best television I've ever seen. The characters are complex, flawed and human, the psychological suspense makes your skin crawl and the performances are astounding. Clare Danes and Mandy Pantinkin are the heart of the show, but every season has introduced new characters that we grow to care about, fear, or even despise. The show addresses the real issues that confront the world today - terrorism, national security and does an excellent job showcasing the viewpoints of both sides. Nothing is "black and white" - there are always shades of gray, which make the show fascinating, both as a thriller and as a character study, particularly of Carrie and Saul, the main protagonists.

This last season was especially haunting, particularly the final episode. I know I will be re-watching the entire season - it's that good. So glad the show has been renewed. Bravo to Showtime for continuing to provide us with intelligent, thought provoking television.

No Kids, No Family, Just Intrigue, Please!

Author: Leftbanker from Spain
1 December 2015

It seems like this series has learned from its mistakes, namely not to have children in the mix of the story. The first couple of seasons were pretty dreadful, at least when they dealt with Brody's teenage daughter. So many series suffer from this Meadow Soprano syndrome. I judge characters by how much I enjoy seeing them on screen. His daughter and then later the baby were way below my enjoyment radar. By the fourth season Homeland had switched to a pure action genre and its quality quadrupled, in my book. No babies and no teenagers and none of their boring and insignificant problems, just intrigue on a high level.

I could use this review as a boilerplate for reviews of a lot of series of this nature. Breaking Bad went slightly off the rails dealing with his family garbage. I hated every scene with his mush-mouth son and his baby. His wife was also mostly a drag on the story. I sort of get what they were doing by that didn't make it even remotely interesting for me. I hated Tony Soprano's retarded family. I wish that at least I would have been given the satisfaction of seeing Meadow and AJ gunned down in cold blood in the series last scene. His wife would have been a nice addition to the dead list as well.

Good ... but highly inaccurate.

Author: Fresh_cuts from Italy
28 November 2014

Before I start with my notes. I must say,"Homeland" has a very firm and well planned plot. The cast is excellent, every member of it fits right in.

However, I've spent quiet sometime in the Meddle East and learned a thing or two about the region's complexity and it came to my attention the numerous inaccuracies and misunderstandings in the show's attempt to portray and emulate the complex nature, history and culture of Islam and the Meddle East. These inaccuracies and misunderstandings personifies typical western ignorance. For instance, in season 3, when Iran suddenly became the number one threat to US national security. viewers were under the impression that the Iran and Al-Qaeda had a substantial long term Cooperative relationship. which had never happened in real life. Because, within Islam, Al- Qaeda as an organization, belongs to the Sunni school. While Iran on the other hand, belongs to the Shiite one. each school claims that their set of beliefs is incontrovertibly true. Each school also claims that the other one is lost. Therefore, Iran and Al-Qaeda cannot work together. Which brings me to this notion. On the course of the show's second & third seasons, I had not once, witnessed or heard any reference to the Sunni-Shiite dispute. On the contrary, the show portrayed Islam as a one big monolithic religion.

Another thing I've noticed is that it's clear that the writers of the show didn't bother them selves to do a research on Arabic. For example, in season 3, in the scene where Carrie was standing in a room in front of a board, and on that board there were a lot of things placed on it by Carrie to estimate Brody's whereabouts. There was a large map, pictures, notes, a scrap paper from allegedly prominent meddle eastern newspaper. anyway, What caught my eye is that all the Arabic text on that scrap paper was written from left to right, and every character in that text was written separately. That is not the case. Its axiomatic that Arabic words and texts starts from right to left, and characters in Arabic words are joined together. Speaking of languages, I've also witnessed on the show the constant mix up and confusion between Arabic and Farsi (Persian), which is to be honest, very sloppy for a show of this magnitude.

One last thing I'd like to refer to is the show's disregard to the region's customs and traditions.

To be frank. Before I watched the show. I really thought that "Homeland" as a show made by a cable TV network would have more edge than other spy shows made by commercial networks, but I guess I was wrong. so, in conclusion, I'll till anybody considering watching the show and not so keen on details, to go for it. He or she will have a great time. On the other hand, I'll till anybody considering watching the show and seeks perfection to not waste his or her time.

.. two out of three

Author: bjarias from United States
12 July 2014

For the first two seasons it was some of the finest drama that cable TV has to offer, with many of the greatest acting performances you'll see on screen. Claire Danes is scary unbelievable in the high quality of her work in this production… everyone involved was terrific. But then season three came along and they took it completely off track, it became less European-like spy-thriller, and much more Hollywood, with an ultimate ending leaving it totally unsatisfying when considering the wonderful full-cast character development created over the course of the first couple dozen incredible episodes. Maybe they get back to good form in the upcoming season, but it will be one hell-of-a-challenge considering the way they blew the story-line all apart in the last dozen episodes. Right now it's total melodrama, and not even a very interesting example of the genre.

Interesting Idea

Author: mnsmb7 from Overland Park, KS
1 January 2017

While I was initially drawn to the show for the first two seasons because of the drama and the newness that wore off pretty quickly after. I honestly could no longer stand Claire Danes as sad as it is. I think her acting was great but her actual character in the show was so obnoxious that I couldn't stand it another minute. I pushed through because everyone said it was a good show, and I agree that the plot and storyline does provide entertainment but there are much better TV dramas to watch than this. If an espionage show is what you're after I would recommend watching the Americans over this. I really liked Adam Brody's character and Saul was great as well. I just simply got tired of the show and couldn't make it past season 3 due to Carrie Matthison.

Hope this helped because the plot and idea were great but fell flat after a few seasons. Maybe you will find something worthwhile to continue watching in the show but the extreme neurotic and almost schizophrenic acting Claire Danes portrayed ruined it.

I liked Season 1, and LOVED Season 2!

Author: NiChib500 from Switzerland
9 December 2016

Homeland (S1) started of pretty good. I first had some prejudice that it might be full of patriotic clichés (based on the story, with a rescued POW...) but luckily that wasn't the case at all. It's pretty much the opposite, with quite a few new angles on the whole situation. So S1 was already a joy to watch, but then S2 came... and, wow, this even lifted Homeland a whole level higher! After that brilliant second season I continued watching all the way through the third one - I still liked the show, but after that I personally put Homeland to "R.i.P.". Might sound weird, but this is my way of paying respect to a really great entertainment product: leave it be (if it's obviously going downwards) and keep ye ole good memories :)

dumb propaganda

Author: namob-43673 from Malta
8 October 2016

Another one of those American propaganda shows. Trust the government, and America is great. U.S. is the only one fighting terrorism etc etc

I fully admit, never watched passed 1st season, except for a couple of episodes here and there. I can't. The show is horrible. Extremely bad acting and a horrible script coming directly from DOD. I'll probably be put on a watch-list for giving this horrible show a 1, but it does not deserve anything better.

Nothing is good with this crap, unless you like it when war is peace and ignorance is strength. Only mindless drones and fully indoktrinated American nationalists can like this show.

What a Show! Politically coherent, plausible, intellectual, dramatic,,, what else can I say?

Author: brian-burchell from Canada
1 January 2016

What is most startling about this series, and in particular this newest 2015 season, is that this is not a show for the intellectually challenged. The plot is complex, the characters are dynamic and fluid, and the story-lines are completely plausible with regard to real-life events. These are all earmarks of a show that is doomed to be supplanted by the Seinfeld crowd. Generally speaking the viewing public don't seem to want to work hard to follow the plot lines.. This definitely seems to be an exception because MY God this is a good show. It is intelligent. It is absolutely coherent and faithfully follows history, albeit fantasized history. This show absolutely could be real. It doesn't seem to be pushing a particular ideology but rather seems to be a story of political intrigue. Acting is superb, Story is completely believable, action and drama is exciting and edge-of-your-seat exciting. This show is the antithesis of Seinfeld. What is amazing to me is contrary to most shows that force you to think, this show is still on and has not been canceled in favor of some brainless tripe.. Thank you viewing public for recognizing true brilliance.

Mandy Patinking & Claire Danes Chemistry!!!! Wow!!!

Author: closesquarters from Wisconsin
17 December 2012

How can I say anything negative about Homeland. One of, and arguably the best drama action series ever filmed.

Mandy Patinkin... you are amazing! If you don't win best supporting actor in the next Emmy Awards... something is wrong with the system. And your bizarre chemistry with Claire Danes is not something to be ignored. You two on camera together absolutely command the attention of viewers... (It's weirdly powerful stuff). Congrats to you two and keep up the good work. I just love when things come together perfectly... and Homeland is just the ticket in this case.

Looking forward to awards for the fruits of your labor... and to season 3 of Homeland.

Take care!