IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Great Show

Author: john smith from United States
2 August 2013

This is one great show. It keeps you interested throughout the series and is awesome to learn about the war and how the CIA operates. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. I feel like it always has a big cliffhanger at the end of each episode. Nick Brodie is a character where sometimes you love him and then at times you don't know what you think of him. Although it doesn't have a ton of action it still has a ton of suspense. I can't wait for the next season. The girl who plays Kerry is a very good actor and really keeps the show going. It doesn't need that much action to be great because it has a very good plot that you cant get to too much detail or it will give it away. I love this show and it kept me hooked all the way through. I felt like I never got bored Through this show. I do not think it is better then Breaking Bad but it is one of my favorite shows of all time. I highly recommend catching up on this to see the next season which is coming soon.

Great thriller with lots of drama and suspense! 8

Author: manusanchez90 from Spain
29 April 2013

I used to watch many TV series as a child, both cartoon and real image ones: "Scooby-Doo", "Johny Bravo", "The Simpsons", "Spider-Man"; "Smallville", "C.S.I. Miami", "The X-Files", "Hercules: the legendary journeys", "The A-Team" and "Baywatch" were my favorite. I do not follow many of the current ones. I think there are too many of them and most are too long (too many seasons and chapters). Anyway, I decided to begin watching "Homeland" thanks to a flatmate. I have liked it since the first chapter began. I just saw the first season and the first six from the second one. By now, I think the first seasons is a bit better, but they are both very good. "Homeland" is based on another TV series from Israel which I have never seen. "Homeland" is a mix of drama, action and intrigue. It contains good dialogues and a fine acting from every actor even though none is famous. The starring actor is the English Damian Lewis, the most well-known in the cast. He plays a quite believable role. The plot is full of twists and surprises and almost no chapter is empty, so in each one, something relevant occurs. Another strong point is that there are still just two seasons with twelve chapters each with an average length of 50 minutes. That is why I can say that time and direction are well-managed. I will not reveal anything about the plot except that it is about a U.S. soldier who is rescued from Iraqi terrorist in Iraq after several years as a prisoner. Then, the C.I.A. suspects he is on their side. The spectator never really knows what goes on and the plot is as confusing as entertaining. It is true that sometimes, there are too many dialogues and that the acting from some is not the best, but it is excellent anyway. I recommend "Homeland" to all those who like to watch TV series and thrillers. 8.

Review of Season 2 Finale

Author: jshedro-571-713442 from United States
2 January 2013

SPOILER ALERT: If you watch "Homeland" and haven't seen the Season 2 finale I do not recommend reading this review. Aired Sunday, December 22nd, the Showtime series "Homeland's" season 2 finale was both a success and a disappointment. "Homeland" is the story of Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis), who was an American P.O.W. for 8 years in Afghanistan After succumbing to Al-Qaeda leader, Abu Nazir's (Navid Negahban) bribes of hospitality, Brody begins working for those who saw America as the enemy. Throughout season 2 of the series, Brody begins working as a double agent in favor of his home country and attempts to assist the C.I.A. in taking Nazir down and stopping potential threats to the nation. Taking place directly after the successful killing of Abu Nazir, the season 2 finale of "Homeland" shows Brody finally feeling free of all the pressure that comes from being a double agent. No longer held under Nazir's firm grasp, Brody feels that he is able to start his life over again and can finally be with the love of his life, C.I.A. operative, Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes). Here lies the episode's disappointing qualities. About 35-40 minutes of the hour long special was about the rekindling of Brody and Carrie's love life. This relationship between the two main characters is not new to this series; in fact it is a major story arc that has been seen countless times thus far. However, the cheesiness of the character's relationship is an element that is new to "Homeland." The Brody and Carrie scenes of Sunday night's episode were almost difficult to watch. The dialogue between the characters is something one would expect to find in a novel by Nicholas Sparks, not in an episode of one of the most exciting series of the year. The major element of the season finale that worked was the huge plot twist, which was a 9/11-esque terrorist attack on the C.I.A. headquarters that killed over 200 people. The attack was a bomb that was planted in Brody's car and left dangerously close to the C.I.A.'s building. Of course making the primary suspect of the attack "former" terrorist, Nicholas Brody. Surviving the bombing and claiming to have had nothing to do with the attack, Brody goes on the run with the help of the only person inclined to believe him, Carrie. While this plot twist did make the episode better and definitely left the viewer in awe, I cannot say that it was entirely unexpected. The episode definitely did not seem to be heading in the direction of a fatal terrorist attack, but ironically enough, the message of "Nothing can prepare you for what is about to happen" that was found in last week's coming attractions, is what prepared me for this plot twist. That, and my personal disbelief that the season finale of a show as great as "Homeland" could be so damn boring (which it would have been, if this attack had not happened). In fact, the best part of the episode's plot twist is that it caused Brody to go on the run and by doing so, allowed for the abysmal love scenes between Brody and Carrie to come to an end. More seriously though, even if the plot twist was a bit predictable, it was still what caused "Homeland's" season 2 finale to not only become watchable, but enjoyable as well. The scene of the attack was exciting and who doesn't love a great cliffhanger? Was Brody involved in the attack on the C.I.A. headquarters? If not, then who was? There are plenty of the unanswered questions that can only be resolved by sticking with "Homeland" and seeing what the writers give us next season. "Homeland's" season finale was definitely not without flaws, however, it successfully left viewers wanting more.

well balanced thriller which keeps you on your toes by intelligently designed plots and results

Author: Adeel Ahmed from Pakistan
27 January 2013

few days ago i was at my friend's place when i first heard of this show 'homeland' and my very first question was 'whats the plot?'. while he was letting me in on the plot i was like here we go! another biased American show glorifying the military and the CIA. but when i started watching it, to my utmost surprise, it wasn't biased. for once somebody in the holly wood has tried to shed some light on that side of the story which is deliberately swept under the carpet. one of the few reasons why 'homeland' just recently won the golden globe and has a wide viewership is because it doesn't take sides but let you choose and decide for yourself who has been wronged and who is doing wrong! one may find minor flaws in the story at times but all in all it's nice to watch.

Mandy Patinking & Claire Danes Chemistry!!!! Wow!!!

Author: closesquarters from Wisconsin
17 December 2012

How can I say anything negative about Homeland. One of, and arguably the best drama action series ever filmed.

Mandy Patinkin... you are amazing! If you don't win best supporting actor in the next Emmy Awards... something is wrong with the system. And your bizarre chemistry with Claire Danes is not something to be ignored. You two on camera together absolutely command the attention of viewers... (It's weirdly powerful stuff). Congrats to you two and keep up the good work. I just love when things come together perfectly... and Homeland is just the ticket in this case.

Looking forward to awards for the fruits of your labor... and to season 3 of Homeland.

Take care!

Favorite show

Author: Anthony Sheets from United States
16 June 2012

When I see Homeland on showtime, I always get excited for the second season. Sargent Brody(Damian Lewis) is one scary character. Great acting, it was a thrill to watch him each episode. Carrie Mathison(Claire Danes) Is a trip. Claire Danes, a woman not very big is the film business, gives a spectacular performance. She is now on my radar and has proved she can act. All supporting characters, sub-stories, and the main story about a P.O.W. gone for 8 years, now returns and suspected to be turned, working for the biggest terrorist threat, Abu Nazir. Homeland will truly have you guessing and second guessing what you first thought. A show for everyone to watch.

Fantastic show

Author: Maniac-9 from St. Louis, MO
9 March 2012

Showtime has hit a home run with their new series Homeland starring Damian Lewis and Claire Danes. It's about a Marine Sergeant Nicholas Brody(Lewis) who was taken as a prisoner of war for the past 8 years that an CIA Agent Carrie Mathison(Danes) believes has been turned by Al Qaeda. While Brody comes home as a hero, Mathison has her doubts about him. Just such an intriguing idea for a show that unravels it's layers one by one learning a little bit more about the puzzle each and every episode. It's not till the end of the first season where you really even know where Brody really stands. Just such a great modern show that has some real life practicalities about it, like this stuff could actually take place in the current world climate.

Interesting in places...just

Author: B24 from Arizona
28 February 2013

The sole redeeming quality of the series thus far is that it avoids straying too far from Washington, D.C. Otherwise -- to steal a conceit borrowed from Happy Days -- it clearly jumped the shark a long time ago. To borrow still another aspect of televised dramas, I would say its nearest comparable series is one not usually associated with spy stories and the like. As I was watching it develop, so slowly that it was possible to skip some of the episodes and go three or four more without losing the thread, I was reminded less of the Bourne Supremacy or Manchurian Candidate and more of the soap opera Days of Our Lives. The main characters fail to remain 'in character' as it were but mutate in and out of each others' lives depending on a story line that meanders from one crisis to another.

There are some solid acting skills at work here from time to time, minus antic facial expressions of Claire Danes, so annoying one feels compelled to throw a shoe at the screen were it not for the fact she changes them so rapidly it would likely be misplaced.

Deserving of all the accolades

Author: ani-for-prez from India
9 October 2012

If you ask me why I love this show I would not know where to begin. But because of the large number of parallels to its polar opposite, the show "24", let me clear the air on how Homeland is everything "24" never was.

Homeland is the mature older sister to the hyperactive, immature and schizophrenic brother that was "24". "24" was a farce, posing as a realistic representation of espionage and tension when clearly, all it wanted to be was a showcase of how excellently America's reputed counter-terrorism forces can fumble a plan and how one man comes to the rescue. It was about this man, running about on a single day, trying to protect an immaculate and inconscientious President and the devastation and rampage he left in his wake. It was about how all foreign countries are the devil and are constantly plotting to turn the "great US and A" into a smoking crater and how this one man cuts a swathe of bodies in his adventure to stop said crater from happening. It was a massive ego boost to right-wing propagandists about how right they are to advocate the massacre of foreign lands and their evil, maniacal peoples. It was about how no person ever needs to visit the bathroom in a day and how they survive on 0 calories and how nothing seems to happen at three points every hour in their action-packed days, these peaceful periods lasting exactly 5 minutes. Just enough for us to be reminded of capitalism and its delights.

Homeland is no such buffoonery. It deals with very real subjects such as PTSD, inner conflict, terrorism and why they do it, imprisonment, true espionage and finally, the quest of a flawed and desperate woman trying to find answers. Terrorists are humans who have grievances and want to be heard but go about the wrong means of doing it. The man who returns home after 8 years of imprisonment has real problems one of which is connecting with his family who thought him dead. Spies do research, communicate and don't spout meaningless jargon to look intelligent.

Don't compare this to something as worthless as "24". Homeland is a serious that deserves recognition for its intelligence and originality and anyone who is a fan of television needs to watch this.

Spectacular drama...can suspense get better ?

Author: pavanratnaker
8 May 2012

Loved the concept from episode 1, but got a bit apprehensive about it a few episodes later..how wrong was I....the plot just gets better and better and not too complex that you can't understand. Superb performances from all the actors,what sometimes seemed like poor acting just made sense in the end. Have to say whoever was involved in casting should get a big pat on the back. The direction was spectacular, I'm always amazed about how a director manages to keep his/her wits when managing such a complex and constantly changing plot. The way the plot builds up and culminates in the end is mind blowing and not seen in any recent TV series of this genre. Now just can't wait to see the next series , also planning to see the original Israeli series to see how much it actually inspired this one. Anyone who loves a suspense/action drama..go for it and watch it now or you'll regret it !