IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 28: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Crisp and Engrossing

Author: tickin from Canada
8 October 2011

I've only seen the pilot but it was exceptional viewing. Not for children though.

If they continue to allow the writers and actors to flex their muscles this show will shine. There is a professional quality to Homeland that I haven't seen in a long time. The direction was subtle but commanding, the actors were ace, and the writing was poignant without once hinting at the maudlin.

Hopefully the studio won't cut the creative/professional legs off this one just as it starts running.

Very engrossing stuff.

Over-hyped and overstretched

Author: Eye-dle from London, England
28 September 2012

Note: This is a very personal review based on a week-long viewing of whole series 1 of "Homeland".

As depicted in the series, the CIA is incapable of making correct (logical) deductions from the information they collect. Politicians see war as campaign tactics. Soldiers are either killing machines or gormless pawns. Depending on your dominant hemisphere, "Homeland" is either the most vivid and topical description of America at war or the least captivating series about the American war machine ever made.

The characters are all against fiction. By that I mean, they all lack the probable yarn that makes the audience want to spend 44 minutes with them. I won't even mention the caricature of Middle Easterners who are either sex-addict oil-princes or omnipotent brainwashing terrorists! This is of course if you view the story of a POW Marine turned terrorist as a poor depiction of American war (paranoid) machine.

However, if you view this as a study of America at war (with all its implications), then the characters are not only credible: they are flesh-and-bone bores just like you and I. The CIA's inefficiency in the show becomes a plausible reflection of the the intelligence services' shortcomings. The politicians are no longer ambitious liars but mirrors of all candidates to a public office. The series asks the audience to choose between those two conflicting views.

And I, for one, think that is the real raison d'etre of this over-hyped show. Hence the low score. It's not a series, it's a conceptual juggle.

No Kids, No Family, Just Intrigue, Please!

Author: Leftbanker from Spain
1 December 2015

It seems like this series has learned from its mistakes, namely not to have children in the mix of the story. The first couple of seasons were pretty dreadful, at least when they dealt with Brody's teenage daughter. So many series suffer from this Meadow Soprano syndrome. I judge characters by how much I enjoy seeing them on screen. His daughter and then later the baby were way below my enjoyment radar. By the fourth season Homeland had switched to a pure action genre and its quality quadrupled, in my book. No babies and no teenagers and none of their boring and insignificant problems, just intrigue on a high level.

I could use this review as a boilerplate for reviews of a lot of series of this nature. Breaking Bad went slightly off the rails dealing with his family garbage. I hated every scene with his mush-mouth son and his baby. His wife was also mostly a drag on the story. I sort of get what they were doing by that didn't make it even remotely interesting for me. I hated Tony Soprano's retarded family. I wish that at least I would have been given the satisfaction of seeing Meadow and AJ gunned down in cold blood in the series last scene. His wife would have been a nice addition to the dead list as well.

The show is amazing!!! till season 4...

Author: alaaaldinnawi from Beirut, Lebanon
14 November 2015

Guys, don't be hurry, read me to the end, I read somewhere that it's the favorite series to president Obama,so, I bought the series, I watched the only first episode then Iam hooked !!! Great acting, huge producing , and perfect directing... all are genuine, even the beginning song , and Iam sure you will love it, its like "Person of Interest" series in action acting , "CSI" in analyzing,"Breaking bad" in mystery and human conflict in dealing with their Conscious disorders, its a smart show, dedicated for smart viewers..

I recommend you to watch, do not listen to bad critics, Iam sure they hate politics,and tactics...its great show for great minds..

.. two out of three

Author: bjarias from United States
12 July 2014

For the first two seasons it was some of the finest drama that cable TV has to offer, with many of the greatest acting performances you'll see on screen. Claire Danes is scary unbelievable in the high quality of her work in this production… everyone involved was terrific. But then season three came along and they took it completely off track, it became less European-like spy-thriller, and much more Hollywood, with an ultimate ending leaving it totally unsatisfying when considering the wonderful full-cast character development created over the course of the first couple dozen incredible episodes. Maybe they get back to good form in the upcoming season, but it will be one hell-of-a-challenge considering the way they blew the story-line all apart in the last dozen episodes. Right now it's total melodrama, and not even a very interesting example of the genre.

Claire Danes character needs to be improved

Author: randularulze from auckland
3 July 2014

Claire Danes character is just stupid cry baby who, she doesn't have any characteristic of a CIA operative. she needs to look more realistic. CIA doesn't go and beg for information they manipulate them or threat them they don't offer to suck they're dicks for god sake. make it more like the mentalist or like the blacklist because you got a awesome plot going on with a screwed up bitch for the main character. please try and make Claire Danes character more interesting. because showtime never fails don't make this your biggest blunder.Claire Danes character is just stupid cry baby who, she doesn't have any characteristic of a CIA operative. she needs to look more realistic. CIA doesn't go and beg for information they manipulate them or threat them they don't offer to suck they're dicks for god sake. make it more like the mentalist or like the blacklist because you got a awesome plot going on with a screwed up bitch for the main character. please try and make Claire Danes character more interesting. because showtime never fails don't make this your biggest blunder.

Great up until season 2

Author: shineon91
11 June 2014

Homeland is an example of a series which shows that everything can go wrong when too much confidence leads to terrible scenario decisions..Through the first two seasons the show gained a lot of respect from the public as a result of a strong scenario, a story that was thoroughly unwrapped and exceptional acting(which was depicted on the receiving awards).But somehow season 3 came out to be the worst possible addition to this show..Suddenly the scenario was weakened, the story was repeatable and it was clear that the absence of Brody in the first half was fading the charm of the series. The reappearance of Brody was like a 'life kiss' for this season, but surprisingly the writers had other plans in the end..Brody was killed and so the hopes of the viewers for this show..Season 4 is going to be a disaster,even if it comes out with a nice new story. Homeland is Brody, without him it's just another show, and frankly a mediocre one..

Typical TV Drama stuff - bailed almost instantly

Author: ahljnj from United States
12 October 2015

After friends telling me to watch Homeland for years ("This is the kind of show you'll love!"), I just started watching the pilot this morning. I gave up after a record breaking 15 minutes. In my brief viewing, I saw her receive orders to "let it go", abandon her vehicle on the street, and sneak into an Iraqi prison to talk to a terrorist awaiting execution. Cut to 10 months later, so obviously no repercussions for her. Arrives at the briefing that only she's always late for - no repercussions. Discussion of how we surgically killed 13 insurgents and found a missing presumed dead American, a win for the good guys...turned it off.

Let's see if I can call the series: Danes' character - seen it a hundred times - the rule-breaking rebel that really cares, very emotional, maybe unprofessional, never listens, never called on it. CIA - doing God's work in a dangerous world. Middle East - very foreign, full of very foreign potential terrorists, the Call to Prayer always in the air. Situations and resolutions - suspension of disbelief required.

How'd I do?

Annoying characters and a far-fetched, dragging and dull plot.

Author: karlakolumna-456 from Germany
2 September 2014

I actually started watching this series first when it first came out - and I'm somewhat surprised that "Homeland" survived this many seasons and has such a good rating overall....

I watched the first 10 episodes of season 1 and I gotta say I am far from impressed. Which is to say: I was immensely bored and couldn't bring myself to keep watching.

Because. Well, many reasons.

The plot is not only totally far-fetched (as I'm sure a number of reviewers have mentioned before me), but didn't manage to hold my attention for more than roughly 5 episodes. But I soldiered bravely on for another 5 with the only result being that I. Was. Frustrated. Beyond hell. The plot moves such slowly that even my non-existing plants are growing faster than this. Sure, one just watched an 50 min episode, but essentially NOTHING has happened. How other reviewers can call it a "gripping mystery, thriller, drama" is beyond me, because (as I mentioned before): boring.

And don't get me started on that Carrie FBI person! That character is totally annoying, unbelievable, stupid, pigheaded, obsessive and so, soo much more I can't even begin to explain How Much I Hate Her. She oversteps all boundaries and rules and laws only to point the finger on the bad, bad US- soldier-turned-traitor-terrorist, and in the name of anti-terrorism and patriot act and what-the- hell-not she justifies spying on a whole American family 24/7 and watches even the most private and intimate moments, has no qualms watching them literally f * ck and sh * t (excuse my French) -- all that even unauthorised by the FBI at all (later on). Which sorry, anti-terrorism or not is just WRONG.

And to top it all she then thinks for some unfathomable reason that sleeping with in her eyes prime suspect of all that is bad, turned traitor and terrorist is the way to go.

Yay. Good idea, gurl! Why didn't I think of that before? Why didn't any self-respecting and law- abiding officer of the law think of that before!? F * ck your suspect to confession... (And in this case him supposedly being (or not being) a terrorist takes care of all possible arising problems when it comes to arresting and convicting. Because terrorism. And Iraq. (Gasp!)

Not to mention that after 10 years under excessive torture and captivity most people would break and go crazy, in my eyes at least, can't be held accountable for their actions. But this is a different topic altogether.. I could go on and on with my rant here -- both about "Carrie" and the plot -- but I'm willing to spare you guys and me at this point.

After having said all this, I must also mention that the actors do their jobs quite well. I've always liked Damien Lewis (which is why I started watching this series) and he certainly didn't disappoint. As for Clare Danes (playing "FBI agent Carrie"): I have never seen her in anything else (at least in a major role) before and therefore can't say if her interpretation of Carrie makes it that much worse or whether that character was exactly written and intended like that. (Probably the latter, but you never know.) Good acting, good camera team and all the technical stuff that goes into "movie-making" (you see, I am a pro in this area. Lol.) are about the only good thing the show has going for it. But a big enough budget probably usually leads to quality filming, I imagine. Plot-wise though? Yeah. No, sir. Just. Nope.

Interesting story, well acted, but very stereotypical and inaccurate

Author: WoundedCamel from United Kingdom
28 March 2014

For a while, Homeland had been on my list of TV shows to watch but I only got around to it last week. I started watching the series with an open mind and raced through the first season in a matter of days. I started the second season but after the first couple of episodes I just had to stop due to the stereotypical portrayal of Muslims as well as the fact that the the writers had obviously not done adequate research into the subject matter.

Now this is isn't to say I didn't enjoy what I watched. I found the acting to be excellent and the story very gripping, but the series' shortcomings really put me off.

As a Muslim myself, I was not at all insulted by anything in the show but the portrayal of Muslims really saddened me more than anything else. Muslim men were portrayed as stereotypical hard headed misogynists while the women were portrayed as contemptuous, rebellious individuals hell bent on defying their husbands. I'm sorry but these are just silly stereotypes designed to appeal to the (I'm assuming) largely European/American viewer base of the show.

The other thing that put me off the show was its inaccuracy. The show fails to acknowledge the differences between the various Islamic sects and basically portrays Muslims as a single unified group. Although I wish this were the case, it sadly isn't. The largely Sunni Al-Qaeda group would definitely not be cavorting with the Shia Hezbollah who they see as "heathens". Furthermore there are subtle differences between the way either sect prays which were not at all addressed. This definitely shows that the writers did not take any time to actually research the subject matter they aimed to portray.

Despite all these negative points, Homeland is a well acted show with an interesting story but is in no way an accurate portrayal of Muslims, which deeply saddens me. I feel the show had a lot of potential but was marred by these faults.