IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Homeland Needs a Parachute - Oxygen is Thin Up Here

Author: Unbilled_Role from United States
28 December 2012

I watched Homeland with anticipation during the first season. This program grew predictable and less believable by the start of Season 2. Here are some of the strengths and weaknesses of this show:

Wonderful acting by all of the teens, particularly Morgan Saylor (his daughter)

It's a mixed bag with Danes in the lead. Her expressions are overly-animated, irritating, and flat. This in itself provides a distraction in nearly every episode. I've seen her do better in other roles.

There is not much chemistry between the 2 leads. (Carrie and Brody). Their emotional bond feels plastic and stereotypical. I find this to be one of the most disappointing aspects of Homeland.

Rupert Friend and Damian Lewis both do a very fine job. But Lewis' responses are sometimes so abrupt, that it diffuses the power of his persona.

Patinkin gives a lovely delivery, and his character is a nice counterpoint to Carrie. His periodic Hebrew prayers are featured with an obvious healing presence, but this throws the spiritual balance off.

It seems like this show is promoting pro-Israel viewpoints. As others have said, I also sense a political agenda in this program. With the exception of the Danny Galvez character, I can find no other positive role models for Middle Eastern men or women portrayed in this show.

* SPOILER alerts for Season 2 are below *

The writing in certain scenes bubbles over with nonsense. In one key scene, Carrie is entering a building to capture a deadly enemy. But one thing is off -- she just happens to forget to bring a weapon. And her proclivity for self-destruction in the face of imminent danger becomes foolish and tiresome after a while. In another climatic scene, Brody reveals his involvement in aiding the enemy. But he reveals his true past in all of about 10 minutes with Carrie... the sheer brevity of this scene was deflating and anti-climatic.

Season 3 of Homeland, anyone? I'm not feeling too motivated at this point.

Could somebody give me an aspirin, and a cup of mint tea? Skip the sugar.

I don't understand the hype

Author: sacredheartband from United Kingdom
26 March 2012

First, let me say that the acting is of an incredibly high degree, but I can't for the life of me understand the other reviews.

I don't find it edgy, overly-compelling or even that well written, there are plot holes everywhere. So much is written that is convenient - I've just not found it anything like I expected (from other reviews here).

I like everything from The West Wing to NCIS, and it could have been something in-between - but it lacks the intelligence of the former, and the entertainment of the latter.

Shame. But as a series it is watchable, even if - like me - it's from a comfy position, and not at the edge of ones seat.....

A First Class Start on a New Series

Author: gradyharp from United States
3 October 2011

Episode 1 of the hew series for television HOMELAND has been aired and form the initial episode it appears that this will be an intensely interesting, psychological thriller. All of the ingredients seem to be present - fine writing (Alex Gansa, Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff), fast paced direction by Michael Cuesta, and a very strong cast including Claire Danes in one of her most challenging roles, Damian Lewis and Mandy Patinkin.

The concept is very much in The public eye at this point - a study of how terrorists are followed and found and how the US Intelligence Service functions. The first episode introduces all of the main characters and fleshes out in a single episode the clues for all of the complicated substories and subplots that the series promises. After eight years absence Sgt. Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis) was thought MIA but is discovered in a filthy cell in Iraq ad brought back to the US in a Marine Victory parade. Brody had been captured with another Marine who was beaten to death and the reasons why Brody survived and his fellow Marine didn't makes CIA agent Carrie Anderson (Claire Danes) suspicious - could Brody have sold out to Iraqi bad guy Abu Nazir (Navid Negahban) and that is how he survived torture and captivity? Anderson is driven to see if her concept is correct, gains the backing of her boss Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin, and successfully fills Brody's house with surveillance equipment so his every move can be observed. The sidebars include the fact that in Brody's absence his wife Jessica (Morena Baccarin) has fallen in love with Brody's best friend, and in the intense questioning and shock of being back home Brody begins to remember events of his capture and imprisonment including the fact that he was the one who beat his fellow Marine to death at the behest of Abu Nasir. Brody's physical condition and body language also give signs that perhaps Anderson's concepts that Brody sold out to Abu Nazir and is plotting an attack on America are viable. The stinger is that Anderson is discovered as being on antipsychotic medication since a young girl - making her contributions to intelligence under suspicion. And so we are left with many possibilities for stories that will play out until this season's run ends in December.

It appears that this is a very strong series, but then some of the premiere shows of other series held great promise only to become ho-hum as the season ended. Let's hope this isn't the case: the three main characters are so strong it would be a shame if their stories became diluted.

Grady Harp

worst ever ending !!!!!!!!!!

Author: damudum from United States
18 December 2011

total waste of TV time. if you want viewers for next season give us some meat....i hate when producers think if they leave you hanging you will automatically turn in to next season. if your series is good you will want to watch the next. people wont remember you left them "hanging on the edge" too much life happens and too many TV show to tune in too. OK shes crazy OK they don't believe her. seen it before. let me guess they are going to find the black dude, she's going to wake up and eventually remember what she hoped to not forget, she's not going to get her job back but go on to do something "roge copish" but show them all she was right by season 3. but season 2 he is going to inch his way closer and closer to the president episode by episode with a "days of our lives feel" please............. on to the next one..............................................

Good ... but highly inaccurate.

Author: Fresh_cuts from Italy
28 November 2014

Before I start with my notes. I must say,"Homeland" has a very firm and well planned plot. The cast is excellent, every member of it fits right in.

However, I've spent quiet sometime in the Meddle East and learned a thing or two about the region's complexity and it came to my attention the numerous inaccuracies and misunderstandings in the show's attempt to portray and emulate the complex nature, history and culture of Islam and the Meddle East. These inaccuracies and misunderstandings personifies typical western ignorance. For instance, in season 3, when Iran suddenly became the number one threat to US national security. viewers were under the impression that the Iran and Al-Qaeda had a substantial long term Cooperative relationship. which had never happened in real life. Because, within Islam, Al- Qaeda as an organization, belongs to the Sunni school. While Iran on the other hand, belongs to the Shiite one. each school claims that their set of beliefs is incontrovertibly true. Each school also claims that the other one is lost. Therefore, Iran and Al-Qaeda cannot work together. Which brings me to this notion. On the course of the show's second & third seasons, I had not once, witnessed or heard any reference to the Sunni-Shiite dispute. On the contrary, the show portrayed Islam as a one big monolithic religion.

Another thing I've noticed is that it's clear that the writers of the show didn't bother them selves to do a research on Arabic. For example, in season 3, in the scene where Carrie was standing in a room in front of a board, and on that board there were a lot of things placed on it by Carrie to estimate Brody's whereabouts. There was a large map, pictures, notes, a scrap paper from allegedly prominent meddle eastern newspaper. anyway, What caught my eye is that all the Arabic text on that scrap paper was written from left to right, and every character in that text was written separately. That is not the case. Its axiomatic that Arabic words and texts starts from right to left, and characters in Arabic words are joined together. Speaking of languages, I've also witnessed on the show the constant mix up and confusion between Arabic and Farsi (Persian), which is to be honest, very sloppy for a show of this magnitude.

One last thing I'd like to refer to is the show's disregard to the region's customs and traditions.

To be frank. Before I watched the show. I really thought that "Homeland" as a show made by a cable TV network would have more edge than other spy shows made by commercial networks, but I guess I was wrong. so, in conclusion, I'll till anybody considering watching the show and not so keen on details, to go for it. He or she will have a great time. On the other hand, I'll till anybody considering watching the show and seeks perfection to not waste his or her time.

Top-notch acting and extremely gripping

Author: poopascoops from United Kingdom
5 May 2015

I finished series 3 last night and I cannot believe how good this show was. I had heard of the hype but had somehow not seen any trailers or reviews on it prior to viewing. From the opening scene of series 1 the show grips you, you are hooked instantly and within the first 5 minutes the pace for the entire show is set. I won't go through each series and summarise them as that would give things away, I will instead explain what makes this show so great overall and why I consider it one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Pacing and Direction: As I said earlier from the opening scenes the pacing is set and it sticks to that throughout the entire show. It is incredibly fast paced, so many scenarios come and go but not once does it feel rushed, everything feels very polished and perfectly constructed. The action scenes are all well shot with minimal 'shaky cam' and feel well-choreographed. The choice of music is also very well done and help sets the scenes perfectly, whether it's to add excitement, tension or distress.

Characters and Acting: Possibly the greatest aspect of the entire show is the creation of characters and the people who were chosen to play them. Every single person, and I mean every single one, is faultless. Not one character doesn't fit or doesn't feel necessary; they all have a purpose they are all developed well and all acted sublimely. Carrie is a very detailed character who shows all sides to her personality that you could imagine, the stress who plays her is easily the strongest out of all the cast. Saul, Estes & Brody are the other main characters of the show and all occupy a large amount of screen time. They are all equally strong and well developed. The character development is very strong and you find yourself very connected to many of the characters and this is what makes this show so successful.

Storyline: So much goes on that you really have to keep focused or you will miss something key, so much changes and it develops and changes very frequently. The initial storyline is that of a US Marine who was captured and tortured for 8 years in Iran. He is captured and brought back to America where he is seen as a hero. Carrie however (a member of the CIA) suspects that he has been turned by his captives and has come back to America to carry out Terrorist activities against his country. That is how this roller-coaster of a journey begins and I will not say anymore as to not ruin anything!

Countless times I found myself binging on this show, easily watching 5-6 episodes at a time, it really is that addictive! If I had to pick any negatives it would be that sometimes scenarios can feel a little convenient and there are some minor plot holes but nothing that discourages me from giving this a top rating. It is much better than I initially expected and I would definitely recommend this to anyone! Go and watch it!

Excellent!

Author: The Couchpotatoes from Belgium
17 February 2015

It goes beyond my comprehension that people hate this show. They must all be American brainwashed patriots. Seriously get over it, it's just a show and it's a good one. I absolutely love this show, the actors are all very believable in their roles, the storyline is exceptional, full of twists that keeps you on the edge of your seat during the whole show. At the end of every episode I already want to watch the next one as soon as possible. Everything that you think happens in real life when you think about CIA, espionage, terrorists and so on passes the register. Conspiracies, paranoia, double-crossing, betrayal, false promises etc. Clair Danes puts down a brilliant performance playing an unstable CIA analyst. To me the whole series is full of action and suspense. One of the best series!

Great up until season 2

Author: shineon91
11 June 2014

Homeland is an example of a series which shows that everything can go wrong when too much confidence leads to terrible scenario decisions..Through the first two seasons the show gained a lot of respect from the public as a result of a strong scenario, a story that was thoroughly unwrapped and exceptional acting(which was depicted on the receiving awards).But somehow season 3 came out to be the worst possible addition to this show..Suddenly the scenario was weakened, the story was repeatable and it was clear that the absence of Brody in the first half was fading the charm of the series. The reappearance of Brody was like a 'life kiss' for this season, but surprisingly the writers had other plans in the end..Brody was killed and so the hopes of the viewers for this show..Season 4 is going to be a disaster,even if it comes out with a nice new story. Homeland is Brody, without him it's just another show, and frankly a mediocre one..

highly NOT recommended

Author: chupixpanoramix
31 December 2014

This show is a typical high grade (imdb ratings) hype that is very common on this site. A lot of people is attracted by its high ratings, they think its a must see and then high rate is given without any critical thought.

Ratings aside, here is some focus points that could be useful to potential viewer:

characters - i am afraid that it is very hard to connect to any of the leading roles in this show which is a huge handicap. You wont be rooting for no one here.

storyline - if you care about consistency in a show move on this is not your thing. The spins, holes in plot and u-turns will make you angry.

realism - when a show deals with serious and controversial things like espionage, terrorism, USA-Islam relations you better be realistic. If you ask me this show is ignorantly ridiculous.

the drama element - the writers really tried to over overwhelm viewers with dramatical moments but they seems forced and artificial. If you compare this show with for instance Breaking Bad, where even a silence is making you bite your nails you'll get what i mean.

To conclude - if your criteria has been raised while watching The wire, Breaking bad, Mad men or House of cards you'll be disappointed. Don't let the ratings fool you, Homeland is not in the same league like the mentioned shows and is full of dull, chaotic and even ignorant moments.

Annoying characters and a far-fetched, dragging and dull plot.

Author: karlakolumna-456 from Germany
2 September 2014

I actually started watching this series first when it first came out - and I'm somewhat surprised that "Homeland" survived this many seasons and has such a good rating overall....

I watched the first 10 episodes of season 1 and I gotta say I am far from impressed. Which is to say: I was immensely bored and couldn't bring myself to keep watching.

Because. Well, many reasons.

The plot is not only totally far-fetched (as I'm sure a number of reviewers have mentioned before me), but didn't manage to hold my attention for more than roughly 5 episodes. But I soldiered bravely on for another 5 with the only result being that I. Was. Frustrated. Beyond hell. The plot moves such slowly that even my non-existing plants are growing faster than this. Sure, one just watched an 50 min episode, but essentially NOTHING has happened. How other reviewers can call it a "gripping mystery, thriller, drama" is beyond me, because (as I mentioned before): boring.

And don't get me started on that Carrie FBI person! That character is totally annoying, unbelievable, stupid, pigheaded, obsessive and so, soo much more I can't even begin to explain How Much I Hate Her. She oversteps all boundaries and rules and laws only to point the finger on the bad, bad US- soldier-turned-traitor-terrorist, and in the name of anti-terrorism and patriot act and what-the- hell-not she justifies spying on a whole American family 24/7 and watches even the most private and intimate moments, has no qualms watching them literally f * ck and sh * t (excuse my French) -- all that even unauthorised by the FBI at all (later on). Which sorry, anti-terrorism or not is just WRONG.

And to top it all she then thinks for some unfathomable reason that sleeping with in her eyes prime suspect of all that is bad, turned traitor and terrorist is the way to go.

Yay. Good idea, gurl! Why didn't I think of that before? Why didn't any self-respecting and law- abiding officer of the law think of that before!? F * ck your suspect to confession... (And in this case him supposedly being (or not being) a terrorist takes care of all possible arising problems when it comes to arresting and convicting. Because terrorism. And Iraq. (Gasp!)

Not to mention that after 10 years under excessive torture and captivity most people would break and go crazy, in my eyes at least, can't be held accountable for their actions. But this is a different topic altogether.. I could go on and on with my rant here -- both about "Carrie" and the plot -- but I'm willing to spare you guys and me at this point.

After having said all this, I must also mention that the actors do their jobs quite well. I've always liked Damien Lewis (which is why I started watching this series) and he certainly didn't disappoint. As for Clare Danes (playing "FBI agent Carrie"): I have never seen her in anything else (at least in a major role) before and therefore can't say if her interpretation of Carrie makes it that much worse or whether that character was exactly written and intended like that. (Probably the latter, but you never know.) Good acting, good camera team and all the technical stuff that goes into "movie-making" (you see, I am a pro in this area. Lol.) are about the only good thing the show has going for it. But a big enough budget probably usually leads to quality filming, I imagine. Plot-wise though? Yeah. No, sir. Just. Nope.