IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

(First Season)...Fluctuates from Fine to Fair

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
28 May 2014

At Times a Truly Gripping Political/Espionage/War Show that did have a bit of Struggle Maintaining the Intrigue for All of the 12 Episodes of the First Season. There are Times when Things get a bit Soapy and Some of the Behavior Stretches Credulity a Bit. But it is Melodramatic TV so Some of that can be Expected.

It Rebounds Nicely when it Falls into that Aforementioned Malaise with what Everyone Wants to See, Spies and Action, Double Crosses and Authority Figures (especially Government Agencies) Breaking Bad.

The Show is Sometimes Clever and at Other Times Clunky. It Sputters here and there and it does seem to Labor Occasionally, but not to the Overall Enjoyment. The Casting is Good and All the Actors to Their Best to Bring Things Along with Believability and Quirky Charm.

The Flashbacks Tend to be Instructive but a bit Overdone going for Pathos Mostly and a Background for Current Events Behavior. The Arab Bad Guys are given Enough Sympathy to be more than One Dimensional. The United States is also Burdened with its Share of Evil Doings, some say too much, but Everything in the Show is a bit Heavy Handed.

Overall, it is Overrated but Slightly Better than Average for a Cable TV Series. The First Season was Good Enough for a Second and the Ending of Season One is both Disappointing and Enticing which is Typical of the Season in General. it Fluctuates from Fine to Fair and Back Again. The Rhythm is Off at Times but it does Manage to Bounce Back and since it has 12 Episodes Per there is a lot of Room for a Corrective Course.

Please don't make a season 4. IT ENDS PERFECTLY THIS WAY.

Author: amoooooor from Egypt
25 January 2014

I just finished watching season 3 of Homeland an American series based on an Israeli series called Prisoners of war. The story is new and it takes you to intelligence agencies fight, this time inside the USA. The series was full of problems when it came to address the Muslim characters. I hope I would get to see the day when American movie makers would even google the way Muslims talk and pray. The way the Muslim character prayer in the series is more of a Hindu than a Muslim.

The story line is really solid and you remain interested at every part of the series. All actors taking part in the production are mediocre, except for Claire Danes. She excelled into showing this motivated yet disturbed character she played. You swing between hating her into being in love with her character through out the story line.

I have no intention into adding any spoilers in here, but I just wished Showtime had decided to bringing Homeland into a close after season 3. The way this season ended could have made the series the best among American TV productions to come in terms with the audience. TV in America is totally dependent on money and ratings they don't mind to ruin their art sometimes for the sake of more dough. I liked Homeland (especially the third season) so much I definitely would sanely choose not to watch the next season.

Not worth watching anymore

Author: rpete528 from United States
8 January 2014

This show was good when it first started. The idea of a POW returns home but is possibly a terrorist. The story idea was good but the series now is just all over the map. It got silly when the lead character, Carrie Mathison starts having sex with the return POW, Nicholas Brody. Her character is awful. She has sex with strangers, takes drugs for her mental instability, and she is either crying, yelling at Saul, or just making these awful distorted looking faces in every episode. It's above annoying to watch and I don't think Claire Danes is good for the lead role. Actually, the only likable character is Damian Lewis and he is the villain...we think. He's a bad guy, then he's a good guy (maybe), then he's a bad guy.....geez enough already. I loved him as Captain Winters in Band of Brothers and he pretty much is the only one that makes the show worth watching. The man can surely act. Then the show starts involving the daughter of the Brody's. She has issues and so forth and her character is almost as annoying as Claire Danes. Just a whiney snotty kid who seems like she is stoned half the time. Her acting is dry and not good. I don't know how many people auditioned for her role but they picked the wrong person. The show has come to an end for me. There is nothing to keep this interesting anymore and they should just end this thing already.

Season 1 was Brilliant

Author: Harley Green from United States
6 January 2013

Season 2, I'm finding it to be ineptly written. No offense, you guys wrote an incredible first season, but this second season was so out-there for Brody and Carrie, that I couldn't buy into anything.

Brody a Congressman? Nope, not buying it. Way too soon to have his character in such a position. Carrie back at the CIA? Nope, sorry, would the real CIA have such a person in the field again? No way.

I really wanted to like Season 2. I tried to bite the bullet and buy into the new realities of these characters, but you advanced their stories too much, too soon. I think you did so in order to keep the main storyline of Nazir in play, but you sacrificed too much of everyone else.

I'm not sure what the point of Dana's storyline was either. While Saylor is great at playing the angst-filled teen, I'm afraid it didn't add anything to the series.

The cast is still great. It's not their fault the second season fell short and flat for some viewers. Harewood's Estes will be missed. Perhaps Friend's Quinn will return for a season 3 so you won't lose as many viewers.

All the awards you won for Season 1 were all deserved, so I do not in any way want to downplay that. Good luck with season 3!

Complex story but very bad writing and acting

Author: lodi-szabolcs from Budapest
11 March 2014

I hoped for a really exciting spying and conspiracy. The spy-work i got, but characters are really unrealistic. The main character is an agent, who has almost in every scene a nervous break down and cries. Really cries. And she messes up so many times, that i find its really unrealistic that she's still "in" the action. Who writes stuff like this? Its not the actors fault, its the screenwriters. The character a mentally unstable CIA agent who goes many times after her own head, against orders and jeopardizes missions many times and after every time, they just through in something in, like she found some Intel on some paper or chip, and everybody forgives her. I find that very unrealistic. The main story about a maybe-turned prisoner of war it self is good. You never know who's on who's side. But the bad character writing overshadows the hole thing. Sad to say: very very bad characters….

Great Show

Author: john smith from United States
2 August 2013

This is one great show. It keeps you interested throughout the series and is awesome to learn about the war and how the CIA operates. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. I feel like it always has a big cliffhanger at the end of each episode. Nick Brodie is a character where sometimes you love him and then at times you don't know what you think of him. Although it doesn't have a ton of action it still has a ton of suspense. I can't wait for the next season. The girl who plays Kerry is a very good actor and really keeps the show going. It doesn't need that much action to be great because it has a very good plot that you cant get to too much detail or it will give it away. I love this show and it kept me hooked all the way through. I felt like I never got bored Through this show. I do not think it is better then Breaking Bad but it is one of my favorite shows of all time. I highly recommend catching up on this to see the next season which is coming soon.

Great thriller with lots of drama and suspense! 8

Author: manusanchez90 from Spain
29 April 2013

I used to watch many TV series as a child, both cartoon and real image ones: "Scooby-Doo", "Johny Bravo", "The Simpsons", "Spider-Man"; "Smallville", "C.S.I. Miami", "The X-Files", "Hercules: the legendary journeys", "The A-Team" and "Baywatch" were my favorite. I do not follow many of the current ones. I think there are too many of them and most are too long (too many seasons and chapters). Anyway, I decided to begin watching "Homeland" thanks to a flatmate. I have liked it since the first chapter began. I just saw the first season and the first six from the second one. By now, I think the first seasons is a bit better, but they are both very good. "Homeland" is based on another TV series from Israel which I have never seen. "Homeland" is a mix of drama, action and intrigue. It contains good dialogues and a fine acting from every actor even though none is famous. The starring actor is the English Damian Lewis, the most well-known in the cast. He plays a quite believable role. The plot is full of twists and surprises and almost no chapter is empty, so in each one, something relevant occurs. Another strong point is that there are still just two seasons with twelve chapters each with an average length of 50 minutes. That is why I can say that time and direction are well-managed. I will not reveal anything about the plot except that it is about a U.S. soldier who is rescued from Iraqi terrorist in Iraq after several years as a prisoner. Then, the C.I.A. suspects he is on their side. The spectator never really knows what goes on and the plot is as confusing as entertaining. It is true that sometimes, there are too many dialogues and that the acting from some is not the best, but it is excellent anyway. I recommend "Homeland" to all those who like to watch TV series and thrillers. 8.

Review of Season 2 Finale

Author: jshedro-571-713442 from United States
2 January 2013

SPOILER ALERT: If you watch "Homeland" and haven't seen the Season 2 finale I do not recommend reading this review. Aired Sunday, December 22nd, the Showtime series "Homeland's" season 2 finale was both a success and a disappointment. "Homeland" is the story of Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis), who was an American P.O.W. for 8 years in Afghanistan After succumbing to Al-Qaeda leader, Abu Nazir's (Navid Negahban) bribes of hospitality, Brody begins working for those who saw America as the enemy. Throughout season 2 of the series, Brody begins working as a double agent in favor of his home country and attempts to assist the C.I.A. in taking Nazir down and stopping potential threats to the nation. Taking place directly after the successful killing of Abu Nazir, the season 2 finale of "Homeland" shows Brody finally feeling free of all the pressure that comes from being a double agent. No longer held under Nazir's firm grasp, Brody feels that he is able to start his life over again and can finally be with the love of his life, C.I.A. operative, Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes). Here lies the episode's disappointing qualities. About 35-40 minutes of the hour long special was about the rekindling of Brody and Carrie's love life. This relationship between the two main characters is not new to this series; in fact it is a major story arc that has been seen countless times thus far. However, the cheesiness of the character's relationship is an element that is new to "Homeland." The Brody and Carrie scenes of Sunday night's episode were almost difficult to watch. The dialogue between the characters is something one would expect to find in a novel by Nicholas Sparks, not in an episode of one of the most exciting series of the year. The major element of the season finale that worked was the huge plot twist, which was a 9/11-esque terrorist attack on the C.I.A. headquarters that killed over 200 people. The attack was a bomb that was planted in Brody's car and left dangerously close to the C.I.A.'s building. Of course making the primary suspect of the attack "former" terrorist, Nicholas Brody. Surviving the bombing and claiming to have had nothing to do with the attack, Brody goes on the run with the help of the only person inclined to believe him, Carrie. While this plot twist did make the episode better and definitely left the viewer in awe, I cannot say that it was entirely unexpected. The episode definitely did not seem to be heading in the direction of a fatal terrorist attack, but ironically enough, the message of "Nothing can prepare you for what is about to happen" that was found in last week's coming attractions, is what prepared me for this plot twist. That, and my personal disbelief that the season finale of a show as great as "Homeland" could be so damn boring (which it would have been, if this attack had not happened). In fact, the best part of the episode's plot twist is that it caused Brody to go on the run and by doing so, allowed for the abysmal love scenes between Brody and Carrie to come to an end. More seriously though, even if the plot twist was a bit predictable, it was still what caused "Homeland's" season 2 finale to not only become watchable, but enjoyable as well. The scene of the attack was exciting and who doesn't love a great cliffhanger? Was Brody involved in the attack on the C.I.A. headquarters? If not, then who was? There are plenty of the unanswered questions that can only be resolved by sticking with "Homeland" and seeing what the writers give us next season. "Homeland's" season finale was definitely not without flaws, however, it successfully left viewers wanting more.

well balanced thriller which keeps you on your toes by intelligently designed plots and results

Author: Adeel Ahmed from Pakistan
27 January 2013

few days ago i was at my friend's place when i first heard of this show 'homeland' and my very first question was 'whats the plot?'. while he was letting me in on the plot i was like here we go! another biased American show glorifying the military and the CIA. but when i started watching it, to my utmost surprise, it wasn't biased. for once somebody in the holly wood has tried to shed some light on that side of the story which is deliberately swept under the carpet. one of the few reasons why 'homeland' just recently won the golden globe and has a wide viewership is because it doesn't take sides but let you choose and decide for yourself who has been wronged and who is doing wrong! one may find minor flaws in the story at times but all in all it's nice to watch.

Mandy Patinking & Claire Danes Chemistry!!!! Wow!!!

Author: closesquarters from Wisconsin
17 December 2012

How can I say anything negative about Homeland. One of, and arguably the best drama action series ever filmed.

Mandy Patinkin... you are amazing! If you don't win best supporting actor in the next Emmy Awards... something is wrong with the system. And your bizarre chemistry with Claire Danes is not something to be ignored. You two on camera together absolutely command the attention of viewers... (It's weirdly powerful stuff). Congrats to you two and keep up the good work. I just love when things come together perfectly... and Homeland is just the ticket in this case.

Looking forward to awards for the fruits of your labor... and to season 3 of Homeland.

Take care!