IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Author: The Couchpotatoes from Belgium
17 February 2015

It goes beyond my comprehension that people hate this show. They must all be American brainwashed patriots. Seriously get over it, it's just a show and it's a good one. I absolutely love this show, the actors are all very believable in their roles, the storyline is exceptional, full of twists that keeps you on the edge of your seat during the whole show. At the end of every episode I already want to watch the next one as soon as possible. Everything that you think happens in real life when you think about CIA, espionage, terrorists and so on passes the register. Conspiracies, paranoia, double-crossing, betrayal, false promises etc. Clair Danes puts down a brilliant performance playing an unstable CIA analyst. To me the whole series is full of action and suspense. One of the best series!

Ridiculous Stereotypes Galore

Author: deltaop from Rawalpindi, Pakistan
14 August 2015

I am going to be honest here. I wasn't very interested in the show from the start. It was over-acted, ridden with ridiculous plot holes and seemingly unrealistic scenarios. I watched it for cheap thrills; in between shows I liked or when I had nothing better to do.

All this changed when the show brought in the ridiculous agenda of stereotyping Muslims. From Tehran to Beirut, capitals of beautiful, progressive Muslim nations were depicted as absolute hellholes, laden with preconceived Western notions about Muslims.

Despite all that, I still watched the show on and off though. Never with any sort of interest, but to see how low its portrayal of the world's second largest religion could get. Personally, for me, the lowest point came with the start of Season 4 when Carrie comes to Pakistan.

Continuing with the same tradition, Homeland depicted Pakistan's capital, Islamabad, as a grimy dump where sewers run amok, gunfights and blasts occur on every corner and women shuffle around clad in extremely restrictive coverings. Even Urdu, the local language was used in an absolutely trivial manner with no attention paid to grammar and connotation.

Well, I invite the creators and writers of Homeland to come visit Islamabad for once. They will realize how far it is from the shantytown in South Africa where they shot the whole season. There would be wide paved roads sans potholes, greenery everywhere, tall mountains overlooking skyscrapers and planned residential areas along with women in dresses they chose to wear. In short, Homeland's depiction of Islamabad, and the Pakistani society in general, is as far away from reality as can be.

With what I have said so far, I am not running away from the notion of terrorism. Yes it exists, in pockets throughout the Muslim world. But you can't blame and stereotype a religion followed by billions to be inherently responsible for it. Extremists exist in every religion and every country. Stereotyping and pigeon-holing will only force Homeland's audience into seeing the whole Muslim community in that light - lacking progress and being anachronistic. An overwhelming majority of Muslims are not like that.

Conclusively, I believe even Fox News couldn't have painted a better mural of Islamophobia than what the team of Homeland have done.

Interesting story, well acted, but very stereotypical and inaccurate

Author: WoundedCamel from United Kingdom
28 March 2014

For a while, Homeland had been on my list of TV shows to watch but I only got around to it last week. I started watching the series with an open mind and raced through the first season in a matter of days. I started the second season but after the first couple of episodes I just had to stop due to the stereotypical portrayal of Muslims as well as the fact that the the writers had obviously not done adequate research into the subject matter.

Now this is isn't to say I didn't enjoy what I watched. I found the acting to be excellent and the story very gripping, but the series' shortcomings really put me off.

As a Muslim myself, I was not at all insulted by anything in the show but the portrayal of Muslims really saddened me more than anything else. Muslim men were portrayed as stereotypical hard headed misogynists while the women were portrayed as contemptuous, rebellious individuals hell bent on defying their husbands. I'm sorry but these are just silly stereotypes designed to appeal to the (I'm assuming) largely European/American viewer base of the show.

The other thing that put me off the show was its inaccuracy. The show fails to acknowledge the differences between the various Islamic sects and basically portrays Muslims as a single unified group. Although I wish this were the case, it sadly isn't. The largely Sunni Al-Qaeda group would definitely not be cavorting with the Shia Hezbollah who they see as "heathens". Furthermore there are subtle differences between the way either sect prays which were not at all addressed. This definitely shows that the writers did not take any time to actually research the subject matter they aimed to portray.

Despite all these negative points, Homeland is a well acted show with an interesting story but is in no way an accurate portrayal of Muslims, which deeply saddens me. I feel the show had a lot of potential but was marred by these faults.

highly NOT recommended

Author: chupixpanoramix
31 December 2014

This show is a typical high grade (imdb ratings) hype that is very common on this site. A lot of people is attracted by its high ratings, they think its a must see and then high rate is given without any critical thought.

Ratings aside, here is some focus points that could be useful to potential viewer:

characters - i am afraid that it is very hard to connect to any of the leading roles in this show which is a huge handicap. You wont be rooting for no one here.

storyline - if you care about consistency in a show move on this is not your thing. The spins, holes in plot and u-turns will make you angry.

realism - when a show deals with serious and controversial things like espionage, terrorism, USA-Islam relations you better be realistic. If you ask me this show is ignorantly ridiculous.

the drama element - the writers really tried to over overwhelm viewers with dramatical moments but they seems forced and artificial. If you compare this show with for instance Breaking Bad, where even a silence is making you bite your nails you'll get what i mean.

To conclude - if your criteria has been raised while watching The wire, Breaking bad, Mad men or House of cards you'll be disappointed. Don't let the ratings fool you, Homeland is not in the same league like the mentioned shows and is full of dull, chaotic and even ignorant moments.

Every character is annoying

Author: Beyzoshgs from Turkey
19 November 2014

i started to watch this show because i thought Claire Danes would not play in a bad production. The show has a good plot but the characters are very annoying. Carrie is so much annoying that i can't stand her ( Danes is a very good actress-). She ruins every plan, acts as if she owns USA, she always thinks she knows everything best, her gestures are so annoying that i cant stand her. if cia is just a little bit like this show than they are ruling an amusement park not a country. On the other hand, Brody and his wife Jessica has no characters, no moral issues or anything. They are both very annoying. She sleeps with his best friend and that is okey for everybody. And why does Jessica calls her husband Brody all the time? His name is Nicholas? Why would a wife calls her husband with his surname? i want to mention an other point ,if you know how to pray as a Muslim you would know that Brody prays wrongly, he should have learned how to before the shoots.By the way, i have to say that a real Muslim does not kill, does not drink, and doesn't cheat, the terrorists you call Muslim are not Muslim. The clever people can figure out what religion they have/haven't.

Complex story but very bad writing and acting

Author: lodi-szabolcs from Budapest
11 March 2014

I hoped for a really exciting spying and conspiracy. The spy-work i got, but characters are really unrealistic. The main character is an agent, who has almost in every scene a nervous break down and cries. Really cries. And she messes up so many times, that i find its really unrealistic that she's still "in" the action. Who writes stuff like this? Its not the actors fault, its the screenwriters. The character a mentally unstable CIA agent who goes many times after her own head, against orders and jeopardizes missions many times and after every time, they just through in something in, like she found some Intel on some paper or chip, and everybody forgives her. I find that very unrealistic. The main story about a maybe-turned prisoner of war it self is good. You never know who's on who's side. But the bad character writing overshadows the hole thing. Sad to say: very very bad characters….

An average show with some glaring errors

Author: viv-1435 from Ramadi, Iraq
25 October 2014

I thought this show was average at best and didn't quite live up to all the hype that it attracted when it was first released. There are way too many loose ends in the plot and for me most of the actors didn't do their best job. Few things that make this show stupid:

1. Carrie Mathison: Her personality, stunts, shenanigans. I mean, do CIA agents really behave like cranky teenagers? How does someone so emotionally unstable even land such a job? And...CIA or Military, an order is an order! But Carrie will have none of it. Her colleagues themselves had to shoot her to make things clear. LOL

With her petite frame she dodges bullets on rooftops in Beirut, gets slammed face first onto a tank by one of the world's deadliest terrorists, is 20 meters from an exploding briefcase but ends up fine. Is she secretly also a Navy SEAL?

Also, whats up with her facial expressions? Confused, Angry, Tense...all mixed up! Textbook psycho woman, but still somehow an active CIA agent.

There are loads of other things that make absolutely no sense.

2. Peter Quinn threatening his boss David Estees. Makes CIA look like a drug cartel where anyone can hold a gun to anyone. He threatened the Director of the bloody CIA in his own house. And got away with it LMAO!

3. Majid Javadi, the 2nd highest dude in the Iranian intelligence murders his wife and daughter in law in cold blood in a residential area in the USA? Are you kidding me? There were a million discreet ways to do that, but an experienced intelligence officer couldn't think of any? Please.

4. At the end of Season 3, Fara is an innocent but talented girl who has just joined the CIA. Come season 4 and she's in Islamabad. On the streets. With no protection from the agency or the embassy. So she became a field agent in like 3 months? What did her already p*ssed off dad have to say about that?

5. A total of 5 dudes pretty much run the entire show at the CIA. And they always give in to Carrie's incessant rants.

6. The fake accents in Pakistan. Oh my God! I died laughing at that one. I guess nobody bothered to do any research about how Urdu is not Hindi.Many of the Pakistani characters were actually Indian. But what was on screen was not even Hindi. It sounded ridiculously funny!

The only true saving grace for Homeland is Mandy Patinkin. His performance was exceptional and deserves applause. Otherwise this show is mediocre and the writing, horrible.

Cheap background work

Author: kainuvainu from Boca Raton
15 July 2014

In this production there is no separation between Shia Muslims and Sunni Muslims. Al Gaida is a Sunni terrorist organization that would never be able to operate in Shia Muslim country.

Of course some shia countries support another form of terrorism e.g. Hizbollah. These two sects would never be able to unite there operations.

Why does this series shows such a simplified version of reality to American youth. It is a frightening future view if a tea party presidential candidate with Sarah Palin's expertize of foreign countries should run for the office and drag the U.S. again to a row of senseless wars.

However, it depends whether Chinese are willing to finance the U.S. military campaigns in the future.

Should have ended after two seasons

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
6 October 2014

Homeland should have ended after two seasons. It started very well: the military background, intrigue, mind games, double-cross and triple-cross. Plus you had all sorts of personal issues, especially with Carrie.

Season 2 was more of the same, though with more focus on the characters and less new background introduced.

Season 3 was where I started to lose interest. It had some interesting plot developments and twists, but mostly seemed to drift. Even the twists often just seemed to be for twist's sake. Then they killed off the main character...

Got through one hour of Season 4 and gave up. Just seems tired, formulaic and offering nothing new.

Proof that TV producers don't know when to pull the plug and let a good series end with dignity.

Feels like a draft of what could have been a really good show.

Author: Yaiza from Denmark
7 April 2013

This is a good show, no doubt, but to me it is a disappointment. I was expecting a smarter product, a serious depiction of a complex subject. Because they had it all: an interesting story, good actors, a huge production. Instead they deliver this flat soap-opera, full of clichés, bidimensional characters, weak concepts, predictable lines... Really disappointing! What a shame!

I'll throw some examples to illustrate my point. Regarding the characters, for instance: The mother, Jess: such a simple-minded housewife, selfish and cold. Can this be a real woman? It makes me think of Mad Men's Betty Draper; they have attributes in common, but Betty is 3D, so complex and subtle, whereas Jess is just an annoying character, boring to the limit. Then you have Mike. Is this a man or a monkey?! Can he think at all? Amazing. To say nothing of Dana, the daughter. In a bad mood for two seasons. Unbearable. And she has absolute power over practically every grown-up! WTH. And "the Arabs". All of them weird by nature, it seems. Com'on! And Ayleen. Do they really expect us to believe this character?! Insulting. And Saul ie the good guy. So good he's terribly predictable. I know you need to have a good guy in the story, but this is almost Disney!

Anyway. Then there is the way these characters talk and move. Carrie is exhaustive, overacted. Jess is such a perfect American housewife it makes you laugh. The CIA guys are so devoted is beyond reality. Those lines, please! Some dialogues are so Western-hero they are almost naif...

Of course the settings are great, and the effects, that kind of things. But when it comes to the cinematographic stuff, the script, the editing, it just seems this was a draft for what could have been a really good show. I wish the team behind "The Wire" could have had a look at that draft!