IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Am I the only one who HATES this show?

Author: richwgriffin-227-176635 from United States
25 September 2012

I guess I am the only one who absolutely hates this show. I've watched 3 episodes only (it's all I could bear to watch) - dull, boring, poorly acted (Danes and Lewis won Emmys for their - ahem - performances?). The pacing is deadly - it's also remarkably visually flat. And what is the point of this show? A complete waste of time. I am curious as to what others think the politics of this show is? What is the P.O.V.? I know others love this show so it may be just a case of my disliking where others are at psychologically at this dangerous time in history. I don't like a single one of the characters on this show! Also, less than 3 million people watch this show? (That's 3 million more than should, LOL!). O.K., only 1 star for this piece of junk!

good but really nothing that extraordinary

Author: nanofcb from France
27 September 2012

Mmm I think that the shows starts good but after that they just overstretched the story with just unexplained twists.

the good part extends from the pilot to the 6/7 episode, after that parking lot sex it just goes stupidly wrong. I mean how the hell a CIA agent will go out and sleep with somebody she's suspecting to be a freaking terrorist FFS and how does a trained CIA agent believes the words of someone that just admitted to her face that he was lying, oh just because she fell in love with him, yeah you heard right, a CIA Agent fell in love with the man she was convinced he was a terrorist just a few days ago.

Oh and please,to the writers of this show and others in general, stop using the "bipolar" thing just to solve your plot writing issues, it's really getting old and lame.

Not talking about the disappointing ending, Overstretched Plot is Freaking OVERSTRETCHED. Don't believe the hype.

Brilliant

Author: Arik_P from Ireland
2 January 2012

This is a masterpiece of TV thriller/action/drama . Sharp, sophisticated, clear and crisp. Excellent performance of the entire cast.It's realistic tense, action packed 12 hours of just well made TV.!The storyline is crafted in such a brilliant way that from the first episode ,one can not wait to see how the drama concludes. I said realistic , as the cast so brilliantly fit in to their characters. Mandy Patinkin's performance is outstanding as the voice of sanity throughout the events.Claire Danes is having a double role as the CIA agent and as being Bipolar . Finally Damian Lewis:The creators could not have found anyone better to play Nicholas Brody.

Decent show spoiled by too many errors

Author: Dev Dev from Malaysia
3 February 2012

Any show that sets itself out as a 'real world' scenario should at least make some attempt to get its story straight.

Throughout the whole season, there were so many 'mistakes' that made me just want to stop watching.

*spoilers* E.g. 1. FBI raids into a dark building and shoots without thinking. There were people doing morning prayers in that building. Why would it be pitch black again?

2. A good explanation was given by Brody about the requirements of the faith to cleanse their hands and feet. Yet when he was praying with the son of the terrorist, both of them were wearing shoes INSIDE the house while praying.

3. Why does his wife keep calling him Brody?

4. Vice president is coming just days after a bomb explosion, and security is tight, but ONLY on the day of the event? I guess the police must think that terrorists don't actually attempt to sneak in the night before. I have shitty police here, but even they manage to shine a spotlight at the rear seat of my car for any given check.

5. Guy confesses to you that he's been lying about EVERYTHING he told (under oath?). 1 minute later you find out his most recent story about his partner dying is totally not true. Your decision? Totally drop any doubt you may have about him since you now love him.

This is one of those few shows where I was actually rooting for Brody to blow himself and everyone in that room up just because the good guys are such bumbling idiots.

Really nothing to recommend

Author: skyflyer7 from United Kingdom
12 November 2012

I've watched only the first five episodes so far, and i'm starting to think that's enough. I hoped this series would be pretty good. Although, so far i've felt totally disappointed with it. I didn't have high expectations of it but i had hoped it would at least be moderately entertaining. The show is entirely made up of unlikeable characters. Literally all the main characters are annoying. The CIA agent is a completely unbelievable character that makes it virtually impossible to suspend your disbelief and get into the (weak) story. Her part is poorly acted and scripted and is probably the biggest turn-off of the series for me. Sergeant Brody is so dull, boring and often (again) unlikeable i am left not caring if he's turned or not, which seems to be the supposed mystery of the whole thing. There's very little story so far. It seems like every now and again, one of the main characters will start speaking Arabic (as if that in itself implicates them as a possible terrorist) which seems to be trying to serve as a "twist" to draw the series out. What seems to have been forgotten is you can't "twist" a story that isn't there yet! That said, anyone who thought Lost was good will probably think this is too, being seemingly of the same formula. I notice others compare Homeland unfavourably to 24. Personally, i'm not a fan of 24. but i can see why fans of that wouldn't like this. There's zero action in Homeland. I can only imagine the most paranoid and xenophobic of viewers really getting into this (which is probably why it won awards). I only gave this 3 rather than zero because i haven't seen it all. As my flatmates are watching it, i'll prob sit in and catch some more and update this review if need be.

Flawless TV

Author: GaiaOnlyKnows from United Kingdom
26 December 2011

This series is truly great television. On every single level it works and the judgemental aspect of my brain can only give up finding something to criticise. First of all the show deals with the subject of terrorism in a very mature way, there is no ideology behind the script and every perspective is treated fairly. The characters have a real depth rarely seen on screen which is backed up by a lot of very solid acting. Indeed, the conflicting elements to the central characters which makes the show so great would unlikely be pulled off without actors of the calibre of Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Mandy Patinkin and Morena Baccarin (also particular kudos to the daughter played by Morgan Saylor - one to watch out for in the future). Not only do you watch these characters go through some truly weird and strained circumstances, you really feel it too. The story also has a depth and complexity to it that has only been seen in shows such as The Wire, Lost, The Sopranos and Generation Kill. There are no plot holes that distract from the often quite tense narrative and despite what you think of the overall subject I would be surprised if this show didn't totally suck you in. This is a very real, well thought out and well executed show. Two big thumbs up to everyone involved. For everybody else - go watch it.

If CIA operates anything like HOMELAND we're doomed!

Author: C. Scott from east coast, US
14 January 2013

Sounds interesting until you watch it, and if you're like me you tend to pick it's bones like turkey on Thanksgiving. Carrie has an affair with Brody to get closer to gathering information, but she actually falls for him, then has a nervous breakdown & acts all jittery & crazy. Yet she's still allowed to be in charge & hold her rank in the CIA while crying at every drop of a hat? Puleeeese! And the Brody character is not only titled an American hero, but he's a Congressman scouted to be the Vice President's running mate. That in itself would be a lot on his plate, but where does he find time to plot terrorist activities, stay abreast of military & presidential affairs, while hiding from press who usually dog any political appointee, and sneak off from his wife & kids while running off to meet Carrie for weekends in little cabins in the woods? Puleeeese! Mandy Pantikin co-stars as Saul,whose been with the CIA 35 years. He trained Carrie & placed her in the field, and though not her boss anymore, he's still protective of her & she looks to him as a mentor. However, she rarely takes his advice these days & constantly runs off on tangents which, in real life, would either get her killed or most likely stripped of rank & fired. I really like Pantikin but sad to see him take on a role of such a complacent character. Give him some spit & fire! Puleeeeese!! I'm bored with it now & probably will drop it altogether. Hopefully before the next time (otherwise pretty) Claire Danes' cry face freezes that way...

An annoyingly stupid depiction...

Author: Cook E. Munster from United States
24 December 2012

Annoying characters, meaningless drama and absolutely no attention to detail.

This show would have you believe that the major CIA operations are based on the whims and fancies of an out of control, emotionally unstable over grown child. What a joke! The whole series is characterized by painful stupidity and unbelievable laxness on the part of both terrorists and CIA operatives.

There is one scene where a terrorist lies down ON TOP of the backseat of a car with a blanket over himself and the driver never notices. Even when she is stopped at a police check point by a cop with a torch (security for the vice president) no one notices anything!!! Really?

In addition to all the stupidity, the show is also borderline offensive to Arabs.

I wish I had not bought the whole damn season on amazon.

THE WIRE still reigns supreme as (by far) the best drama ever.... ...is there no one else?

Much better than 24

Author: iGlad from United Kingdom
18 October 2011

people have tried to compare it to 24 but its much better than that even i loved the show, why? because it's much more believable and convincing. The scripting is great the dating is great the sub plots are great and the main plot is something we cannot put our finger on it, is he or isn't he? I love the way it's going and i have my views on which i'll keep to myself. I think Claire Danesas being slightly unhinged and manic is brilliant as that actually helps her to get the job done in a strange kind of way.

Excellent show, which the main networks couldn't or wouldn't be able to produce..........

Marathoned over 2 days: my thoughts...

Author: DaelinX from Denmark
20 December 2011

Okay, firstly, I gotta say, I watched the entire series believing that there would only be one season and the story would be finished by the finale episode. This is because I saw that IMDb listed the show's running period as (2011) only and not the usual (2011-), meaning its ongoing - when did they change that? That was kinda stupid of me, I guess. Anyway, I see that the show's been renewed for a second season, which is great, because this show is very good. Just a heads up, though, that my false belief kinda affected my view of the show while I was watching it, especially the last episode where I was expecting everything to wrap up.

Like I said, this show is good, very good. Its basically what AMC's Rubicon should have been like. Its very much in the same vein, with the themes of paranoia, conspiracy theories and dealing with the whole intelligence business. Only in Homeland, stuff actually happens, the plot moves along and it keeps you interested. Rubicon had a good premise but literally nothing happened on that show and that's why it got cancelled. Homeland has a bit "tinfoil hat" premise too, but the story and characters are so complex, you accept that in favor of just being entertained. Both Damien Lewis's and Claire Danes's respective characters are in danger of becoming cliché, but because they are so complex and so well acted, you find yourself drawn to these people. The all-important guessing of whether Brody is turned or not is not just a question of if, but also why or why not. And Carrie Mathison is not just some government suit with a patriotic zeal to root out the terrorist conspiracy - her obsession comes from somewhere darker, as well. Mandy Patinkin is pretty close to being a show-stealer too, with his laser-wit and deeply caring Saul.

The middle episodes are probably the highlight of the season. That's when most seems to be at stake for the main characters and before the big reveal on the whole 'turned' question. After that, the story kinda looses some of its momentum (still exciting, though) and the finale episode could be called anti-climactic by some, but I was still thrilled by the very last scene, which (when re-viewed with the facts straight) set up the second season nicely.

I'm really looking forward to what will happen in season two, for as I say, I thought this one was all there was right until the cut-to-black of the final scene, where I then checked the show's Wikipedia page. Now the ending definitely makes more sense. As for the story, the cat is pretty much out of the bag on the big question of turned/not turned and the future of our heroine is looking not so bright, so where the story will go next, I shall wait to see.

Easy 9/10 based on the acting of the main cast and the thrilling story.

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]