IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

More of the same old, same old.

Author: zeroro123
23 September 2012

This show may have superb acting and an interesting cast, but it's just simply not enough for me to want to keep watching. Plot holes, continuity troubles, and predictable storytelling make this show fall face first where it otherwise could have soared. It merely plays off of other "thrilling", "high-energy" shows of times past (such as "24","The Shield", etc.)and expects the audience to not realize they've seen it all before. Originality is not encouraged by the writers of this show, rather, comfortable familiarity. What's worse is they're actually being praised for this by receiving emmys and recognition. Prepare yourselves for the next iteration of the same show next fall, Tuesdays at 6/7 central.

An average show with some glaring errors

Author: viv-1435 from Ramadi, Iraq
25 October 2014

I thought this show was average at best and didn't quite live up to all the hype that it attracted when it was first released. There are way too many loose ends in the plot and for me most of the actors didn't do their best job. Few things that make this show stupid:

1. Carrie Mathison: Her personality, stunts, shenanigans. I mean, do CIA agents really behave like cranky teenagers? How does someone so emotionally unstable even land such a job? And...CIA or Military, an order is an order! But Carrie will have none of it. Her colleagues themselves had to shoot her to make things clear. LOL

With her petite frame she dodges bullets on rooftops in Beirut, gets slammed face first onto a tank by one of the world's deadliest terrorists, is 20 meters from an exploding briefcase but ends up fine. Is she secretly also a Navy SEAL?

Also, whats up with her facial expressions? Confused, Angry, Tense...all mixed up! Textbook psycho woman, but still somehow an active CIA agent.

There are loads of other things that make absolutely no sense.

2. Peter Quinn threatening his boss David Estees. Makes CIA look like a drug cartel where anyone can hold a gun to anyone. He threatened the Director of the bloody CIA in his own house. And got away with it LMAO!

3. Majid Javadi, the 2nd highest dude in the Iranian intelligence murders his wife and daughter in law in cold blood in a residential area in the USA? Are you kidding me? There were a million discreet ways to do that, but an experienced intelligence officer couldn't think of any? Please.

4. At the end of Season 3, Fara is an innocent but talented girl who has just joined the CIA. Come season 4 and she's in Islamabad. On the streets. With no protection from the agency or the embassy. So she became a field agent in like 3 months? What did her already p*ssed off dad have to say about that?

5. A total of 5 dudes pretty much run the entire show at the CIA. And they always give in to Carrie's incessant rants.

6. The fake accents in Pakistan. Oh my God! I died laughing at that one. I guess nobody bothered to do any research about how Urdu is not Hindi.Many of the Pakistani characters were actually Indian. But what was on screen was not even Hindi. It sounded ridiculously funny!

The only true saving grace for Homeland is Mandy Patinkin. His performance was exceptional and deserves applause. Otherwise this show is mediocre and the writing, horrible.

.. two out of three

Author: bjarias from United States
12 July 2014

For the first two seasons it was some of the finest drama that cable TV has to offer, with many of the greatest acting performances you'll see on screen. Claire Danes is scary unbelievable in the high quality of her work in this production… everyone involved was terrific. But then season three came along and they took it completely off track, it became less European-like spy-thriller, and much more Hollywood, with an ultimate ending leaving it totally unsatisfying when considering the wonderful full-cast character development created over the course of the first couple dozen incredible episodes. Maybe they get back to good form in the upcoming season, but it will be one hell-of-a-challenge considering the way they blew the story-line all apart in the last dozen episodes. Right now it's total melodrama, and not even a very interesting example of the genre.

Breathtaking, edge-of-the-seat, addictive.

Author: Abhishek 5 from India
4 July 2014

If you haven't watched Homeland yet, its hard for you to IMAGINE what the show can offer with a P.O.W., a CIA officer & the theme of national security. When I first read an intro for the show, I didn't know how long the show will be able to keep my interest for it, alive. But now, addiction has replaced interest!

You will LOVE the show if you like: high octane thrillers, 'gosh, what will happen next?' dramas, potent story-telling & slow, yet intense suspense and similar themes. It's an addicting cocktail of these & much more.

If you judge shows by awards...it has won 5 Golden Globes & numerous Emmys in just two seasons!

Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis) is absolutely brilliant as the POW and so is Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes) as a CIA case officer. The main theme remains Carrie's suspicion about Brody - whether he 'turned' when in captivity and consequently does he pose a threat to national security. But, don't be fooled by the simplistic description...as different layers of the storyline are revealed & characters take shape, the story diversifies & yet intensifies without losing the original plot or track. As I said above, it's difficult to guess how such a straight-forward looking theme can be supplied with such potency (by the Emmy-winning brilliant writing) that it continues to appeal & intrigue almost endlessly. Aptly-timed & brilliantly directed revelations, intriguing background stories & beautifully written personal lives of characters - all assist the central theme & end up making a breathtaking package. The ensemble of supporting actors (especially Mandy Patinkin as Saul Berenson) are really good too.

This is one show you should watch irrespective of which genre of television you prefer/like. Why? Simply because its quite different & unconventional in its treatment of subjects, storyline & characters.

If you've watched all seasons already, you've done the right thing. If you left the series mid-way, start again - you don't know what the next episode holds. And if you still haven't started watching the show, START TODAY!

9/10 !

(First Season)...Fluctuates from Fine to Fair

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
28 May 2014

At Times a Truly Gripping Political/Espionage/War Show that did have a bit of Struggle Maintaining the Intrigue for All of the 12 Episodes of the First Season. There are Times when Things get a bit Soapy and Some of the Behavior Stretches Credulity a Bit. But it is Melodramatic TV so Some of that can be Expected.

It Rebounds Nicely when it Falls into that Aforementioned Malaise with what Everyone Wants to See, Spies and Action, Double Crosses and Authority Figures (especially Government Agencies) Breaking Bad.

The Show is Sometimes Clever and at Other Times Clunky. It Sputters here and there and it does seem to Labor Occasionally, but not to the Overall Enjoyment. The Casting is Good and All the Actors to Their Best to Bring Things Along with Believability and Quirky Charm.

The Flashbacks Tend to be Instructive but a bit Overdone going for Pathos Mostly and a Background for Current Events Behavior. The Arab Bad Guys are given Enough Sympathy to be more than One Dimensional. The United States is also Burdened with its Share of Evil Doings, some say too much, but Everything in the Show is a bit Heavy Handed.

Overall, it is Overrated but Slightly Better than Average for a Cable TV Series. The First Season was Good Enough for a Second and the Ending of Season One is both Disappointing and Enticing which is Typical of the Season in General. it Fluctuates from Fine to Fair and Back Again. The Rhythm is Off at Times but it does Manage to Bounce Back and since it has 12 Episodes Per there is a lot of Room for a Corrective Course.

Please don't make a season 4. IT ENDS PERFECTLY THIS WAY.

Author: amoooooor from Egypt
25 January 2014

I just finished watching season 3 of Homeland an American series based on an Israeli series called Prisoners of war. The story is new and it takes you to intelligence agencies fight, this time inside the USA. The series was full of problems when it came to address the Muslim characters. I hope I would get to see the day when American movie makers would even google the way Muslims talk and pray. The way the Muslim character prayer in the series is more of a Hindu than a Muslim.

The story line is really solid and you remain interested at every part of the series. All actors taking part in the production are mediocre, except for Claire Danes. She excelled into showing this motivated yet disturbed character she played. You swing between hating her into being in love with her character through out the story line.

I have no intention into adding any spoilers in here, but I just wished Showtime had decided to bringing Homeland into a close after season 3. The way this season ended could have made the series the best among American TV productions to come in terms with the audience. TV in America is totally dependent on money and ratings they don't mind to ruin their art sometimes for the sake of more dough. I liked Homeland (especially the third season) so much I definitely would sanely choose not to watch the next season.

Annoying characters and a far-fetched, dragging and dull plot.

Author: karlakolumna-456 from Germany
2 September 2014

I actually started watching this series first when it first came out - and I'm somewhat surprised that "Homeland" survived this many seasons and has such a good rating overall....

I watched the first 10 episodes of season 1 and I gotta say I am far from impressed. Which is to say: I was immensely bored and couldn't bring myself to keep watching.

Because. Well, many reasons.

The plot is not only totally far-fetched (as I'm sure a number of reviewers have mentioned before me), but didn't manage to hold my attention for more than roughly 5 episodes. But I soldiered bravely on for another 5 with the only result being that I. Was. Frustrated. Beyond hell. The plot moves such slowly that even my non-existing plants are growing faster than this. Sure, one just watched an 50 min episode, but essentially NOTHING has happened. How other reviewers can call it a "gripping mystery, thriller, drama" is beyond me, because (as I mentioned before): boring.

And don't get me started on that Carrie FBI person! That character is totally annoying, unbelievable, stupid, pigheaded, obsessive and so, soo much more I can't even begin to explain How Much I Hate Her. She oversteps all boundaries and rules and laws only to point the finger on the bad, bad US- soldier-turned-traitor-terrorist, and in the name of anti-terrorism and patriot act and what-the- hell-not she justifies spying on a whole American family 24/7 and watches even the most private and intimate moments, has no qualms watching them literally f * ck and sh * t (excuse my French) -- all that even unauthorised by the FBI at all (later on). Which sorry, anti-terrorism or not is just WRONG.

And to top it all she then thinks for some unfathomable reason that sleeping with in her eyes prime suspect of all that is bad, turned traitor and terrorist is the way to go.

Yay. Good idea, gurl! Why didn't I think of that before? Why didn't any self-respecting and law- abiding officer of the law think of that before!? F * ck your suspect to confession... (And in this case him supposedly being (or not being) a terrorist takes care of all possible arising problems when it comes to arresting and convicting. Because terrorism. And Iraq. (Gasp!)

Not to mention that after 10 years under excessive torture and captivity most people would break and go crazy, in my eyes at least, can't be held accountable for their actions. But this is a different topic altogether.. I could go on and on with my rant here -- both about "Carrie" and the plot -- but I'm willing to spare you guys and me at this point.

After having said all this, I must also mention that the actors do their jobs quite well. I've always liked Damien Lewis (which is why I started watching this series) and he certainly didn't disappoint. As for Clare Danes (playing "FBI agent Carrie"): I have never seen her in anything else (at least in a major role) before and therefore can't say if her interpretation of Carrie makes it that much worse or whether that character was exactly written and intended like that. (Probably the latter, but you never know.) Good acting, good camera team and all the technical stuff that goes into "movie-making" (you see, I am a pro in this area. Lol.) are about the only good thing the show has going for it. But a big enough budget probably usually leads to quality filming, I imagine. Plot-wise though? Yeah. No, sir. Just. Nope.

Not worth watching anymore

Author: rpete528 from United States
8 January 2014

This show was good when it first started. The idea of a POW returns home but is possibly a terrorist. The story idea was good but the series now is just all over the map. It got silly when the lead character, Carrie Mathison starts having sex with the return POW, Nicholas Brody. Her character is awful. She has sex with strangers, takes drugs for her mental instability, and she is either crying, yelling at Saul, or just making these awful distorted looking faces in every episode. It's above annoying to watch and I don't think Claire Danes is good for the lead role. Actually, the only likable character is Damian Lewis and he is the villain...we think. He's a bad guy, then he's a good guy (maybe), then he's a bad guy.....geez enough already. I loved him as Captain Winters in Band of Brothers and he pretty much is the only one that makes the show worth watching. The man can surely act. Then the show starts involving the daughter of the Brody's. She has issues and so forth and her character is almost as annoying as Claire Danes. Just a whiney snotty kid who seems like she is stoned half the time. Her acting is dry and not good. I don't know how many people auditioned for her role but they picked the wrong person. The show has come to an end for me. There is nothing to keep this interesting anymore and they should just end this thing already.

Season 1 was Brilliant

Author: Harley Green from United States
6 January 2013

Season 2, I'm finding it to be ineptly written. No offense, you guys wrote an incredible first season, but this second season was so out-there for Brody and Carrie, that I couldn't buy into anything.

Brody a Congressman? Nope, not buying it. Way too soon to have his character in such a position. Carrie back at the CIA? Nope, sorry, would the real CIA have such a person in the field again? No way.

I really wanted to like Season 2. I tried to bite the bullet and buy into the new realities of these characters, but you advanced their stories too much, too soon. I think you did so in order to keep the main storyline of Nazir in play, but you sacrificed too much of everyone else.

I'm not sure what the point of Dana's storyline was either. While Saylor is great at playing the angst-filled teen, I'm afraid it didn't add anything to the series.

The cast is still great. It's not their fault the second season fell short and flat for some viewers. Harewood's Estes will be missed. Perhaps Friend's Quinn will return for a season 3 so you won't lose as many viewers.

All the awards you won for Season 1 were all deserved, so I do not in any way want to downplay that. Good luck with season 3!

Complex story but very bad writing and acting

Author: lodi-szabolcs from Budapest
11 March 2014

I hoped for a really exciting spying and conspiracy. The spy-work i got, but characters are really unrealistic. The main character is an agent, who has almost in every scene a nervous break down and cries. Really cries. And she messes up so many times, that i find its really unrealistic that she's still "in" the action. Who writes stuff like this? Its not the actors fault, its the screenwriters. The character a mentally unstable CIA agent who goes many times after her own head, against orders and jeopardizes missions many times and after every time, they just through in something in, like she found some Intel on some paper or chip, and everybody forgives her. I find that very unrealistic. The main story about a maybe-turned prisoner of war it self is good. You never know who's on who's side. But the bad character writing overshadows the hole thing. Sad to say: very very bad characters….