IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

It just gets slower and slower

Author: Pughnichi
6 February 2017

In short. Watch season 1 & 2, but quit whilst you're ahead.

It just continues to get slower and slower to the point whereby at season 6, I'm so frustrated each time an episode ends with nothing really of any substance that makes me want to watch more.

I'm 3, maybe 4 episodes in to the latest series and quite frankly, won't be tuning in next week.

Even the characters have become annoying and the acting much worse. Carrie has a constant worried look slapped across her face, Quinn is a mess and even Sol (who i used to really like) is a bit wet behind the ears.

I do get the sens its all building up to something...it just needs to get their quicker....Season 6 = epic fail.

5 stars based on a great 1st and second series.

regarding the third season finale

Author: michaela_endomela from Israel
16 December 2013

I can't believe Brody's dead! I shouldn't watch the season, it was bad and wrecked the first 2 seasons. Without Brody the show isn't interesting. something is missing and that's him. Brody was the one that made the show good. Every episode I waited for his scenes with Carrie, that were the best. Claire Danes is excellent but she's like the mind in Homeland. Brody is (or was) the soul. and now he's missing... I need to write 10 lines minimum to get published but I think I made my point. It was a depressing ending and I think that there aren't any reasons to watch the show anymore. A big disappointment.

Interesting concept destroyed by very weak writing

Author: userseven from Bucharest, Romania
12 September 2013

What is wrong with this picture? The organization and the ALL operatives are portrayed as utter incompetents just filling their seats. You don't need to be even remotely close to the subject to guess that this is not how things go down in the real world with the real guys. Also this apparent lack of solid procedures or good judgment of any kind is in fact the main source of story meat for the series. You only needed a man with half a brain in the first episode going "wait just a second here". And BAM, no more series, we can carry one with our boring life.

The main two protagonists also seem to go all over the place in the wrong way. There is not even a single instance where Carrie comes off as brilliant agent, deserving of the badge. They try at some point to pull the "rainman" card on her but it comes out wrong, cheap and it gets even more confusing afterward, perpetually rising the question "why is she still around to blew interrogations and generally irritate everyone?". Brody shifts a lot between the omnipotent bad guy that lies at polygraph test like a breeze, lies and uses his family and the good guy with major problems after his 8 year ordeal at the hand of the enemy you should feel for. At the end of season 2 you have long decided that he is a jerk that could get written off at any point without loss.

BTW, where are his flashbacks from his time as POW? Gone before anything good came out of them. But in Homeland there are A LOT of this kind of roads that lead absolutely nowhere but end in disappointment.

But in the end what I particularly dislike is the missed opportunity. You have a very good concept, you have a very solid cast and then you hire what seems to be a crack writing team of fifth graders to fumble around and imagine plots and twists. A job well done sirs, cookies for everyone!

Don't believe the hype

Author: Steve Mitchell from United Kingdom
28 April 2012

I don't really know what all the fuss was about. I found the whole thing predictable and formulaic. Each episode was stretched out and meandered along so much that I never felt any tension whatsoever and the ending was, quite frankly, a major disappointment. Six hours could easily have been taken out without any damage to the plot or storyline and it would have been better served as a 4 part self-contained drama; you know, the kind of thing the BBC do really well. It was like a cross between "The Manchurian Candidate" and "The Day of the Jackal", but not as good as either. It's a shame because I like all three of the main actors. Claire Danes' bi-polar character was just another gimmicky cop/FBI agent/CIA agent/Detective that you've seen a thousand times before. I took a break from "Breaking Bad" (wich is anything but predictable and formulaic)to watch this and wish I hadn't wasted my time on it. I don't think I'll bother with the second series.

Season 6 is the worst

Author: Tan Pham from United States
20 April 2017

I used to love this show. I watched all the seasons. The first four seasons were great. I didn't like s5 so much b/c Quinn became a veggie in that one. S6 was so horrible. There were so many useless episodes in s6 about Carrie and her daughter. Like who cares about her damn daughter. You don't need to waste a bunch of episodes showing her mom/daughter issues. When they killed Quinn off at the end I was kind of disappointed. Quinn was one of the main reasons I liked the show so much. I was really disappointed when they made Quinn into a retard in S5.

They could've wrote the script a lot better in S6. When you watch S6, it's like you hope it's not another boring episode about her damn daughter issues. There's no suspense any more like the previous seasons.

started out good,now its just getting stupid

Author: Floorman1 from United States
1 November 2016

the show started out okay,but after watching the show i am about to call it quits.this show has gotten so stupid and so far away from how anything is really done that its almost unbearable now.the blonde is turning into a total basket case who isn't concerned for anything but getting screwed again,she is so far from how a real agent would handle themselves that i cant stand it.,The guy is a complete and total pussy that calling his character a complete failure is a major compliment and now the family and kids have started acting stupid too...its like none of the characters in this movie have any sense at all,the F B I should be "upset" at how they are portrayed in this movie. i don't know how many times you have to click submit,but this is my 5th time.

Started out awesome but soon turned dull and boring

Author: mike_moor from London England
23 January 2017

The first couple of seasons were really good, enjoyable, gripping and you were always wondering what is about to happen next. When they removed Damian Lewis it all turned dull and boring.

This kind of genre in books, TV & movies is usually where really interesting things happen all the time which ads color to the story lines and characters. Sadly the creators, writers and actors of this show lost touch with reality on what is interesting and entertaining and so a really cool show has become a boring chore to watch.

This genre affords the writers to do cool and outrageous things but sadly they choose to bore the audience.

Great show. Season 4 has some factual drawbacks

Author: Imtiaz P from Pakistan
23 March 2015

Season 4 of Homeland lives up to the riveting suspense it started with in the first season. The theme of prisoners of war developing affinity and empathy with their captors/enemy (Stockholm syndrome?) is cleverly reinvented in a new war zone; from Israel/Arab conflict to Taliban versus the West/CIA. This is where the otherwise impressive show is marred by details.

The locations, particularly Islamabad/Pakistan; most of the cast playing Afghan and Pakistani roles; local languages their accents and translations; appearances, costumes and uniforms; streets and signboards; and other depictions of the local culture leave a wide credibility gap and unwelcome distractions.

For example, a condolence from English to Urdu is translated as 'I apologize instead of: I am sorry.' Similar errors are many where the diction and syntax are alien to the region the characters are supposed to represent.

Another misrepresentation of cultural norms is a long embrace between a man and woman on the roof of a house in daylight and full view of the neighborhood. Haqqani's, a Taliban leader, return home and touching his wife in front of a crowd is another taboo which seeped through.

Except for few, most of the names given to characters are neither Pakistani nor Afghan. Islamabad street scenes, vehicles on the road and the surrounding landscape do not represent the original locale.

Not that I am going to stop watching rest of the show, but I do wish more attention was given to the above mentioned aspects of production.

Season 6 can't be anything but a bad dream

Author: James Walker from United States
9 March 2017

Just an odd shadow of what it used to be. All left wing all the time now- and not good left wing either... Just junk. Dar may as well start twirling a pedo mustache and doing a crazy villain laugh. Saul as the Jew who hate Judaism and Carrie the woman who just stopped a massive Islamic terror attack in Germany now dedicated to doing all she can to make sure that if they want to try such a thing in New York that it will be hard to stop them. A woman president elect who voted for the Iraq war but regrets it now (guess the writers guessed wrong here)... One of the cool things about previous seasons is that they seemed to exist in the world of the actual current president and leadership... This doesn't do that... It lives in a fictional creation more so than previous seasons and it reads like an apology letter for seasons past where Homeland got told they were too hard on Islamic terror. The only redeeming factor is Rupert Friend who plays Quinn. I remember reading once that a good actor is somebody who can take a terrible line or scene and still give a great performance. Rupert is that actor. He is the only reason to give any attention to this season.

Cheap background work

Author: kainuvainu from Boca Raton
15 July 2014

In this production there is no separation between Shia Muslims and Sunni Muslims. Al Gaida is a Sunni terrorist organization that would never be able to operate in Shia Muslim country.

Of course some shia countries support another form of terrorism e.g. Hizbollah. These two sects would never be able to unite there operations.

Why does this series shows such a simplified version of reality to American youth. It is a frightening future view if a tea party presidential candidate with Sarah Palin's expertize of foreign countries should run for the office and drag the U.S. again to a row of senseless wars.

However, it depends whether Chinese are willing to finance the U.S. military campaigns in the future.