IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 27: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Yawnnnnnnland

Author: Uttam HV from Mumbai
7 October 2012

WARNING: Viewers are getting tricked into watching the series for following reasons 1. The plot seems very interesting. 2. The fact that it swept the board at Emmy awards.

The series is filled with massive loop holes, unjustified story-line and ultra-slow pace. It also has the most anti-climactic and outrageous finale which will leave you fuming for putting up with a whole season of annoying smirk faced Sergeant Brody.

Most overrated series ever.

For people who still wanna watch it and get frustrated- I cannot think of anything but saying "I told you so"

Over-hyped and overstretched

Author: Eye-dle from London, England
28 September 2012

Note: This is a very personal review based on a week-long viewing of whole series 1 of "Homeland".

As depicted in the series, the CIA is incapable of making correct (logical) deductions from the information they collect. Politicians see war as campaign tactics. Soldiers are either killing machines or gormless pawns. Depending on your dominant hemisphere, "Homeland" is either the most vivid and topical description of America at war or the least captivating series about the American war machine ever made.

The characters are all against fiction. By that I mean, they all lack the probable yarn that makes the audience want to spend 44 minutes with them. I won't even mention the caricature of Middle Easterners who are either sex-addict oil-princes or omnipotent brainwashing terrorists! This is of course if you view the story of a POW Marine turned terrorist as a poor depiction of American war (paranoid) machine.

However, if you view this as a study of America at war (with all its implications), then the characters are not only credible: they are flesh-and-bone bores just like you and I. The CIA's inefficiency in the show becomes a plausible reflection of the the intelligence services' shortcomings. The politicians are no longer ambitious liars but mirrors of all candidates to a public office. The series asks the audience to choose between those two conflicting views.

And I, for one, think that is the real raison d'etre of this over-hyped show. Hence the low score. It's not a series, it's a conceptual juggle.

Excellent drama

Author: vink0286 from Netherlands
19 September 2011

Excellent drama with very good acting all around. The story has the potential to keep us guessing what is really going on for some time I think. The story about an American marine that gets saved after being held captive for years by terrorists is engaging and well thought out. The only weak link in this is the storyline of the husband and wife that just seems to be a little bit forced. Its also good to see Mandy Patinkin again who I think is a wonderful actor. Damian Lewis is as always giving his all with moments of brilliance. Only Claire Danes looks likes she does not completely believe what she is saying but I am sure that she will grow into her role. I hope the writers can keep up the standard of the first episode. 8/10 from me and hoping it will get more in the future. 1 and 3/4 thumbs up!!

What a Show! Politically coherent, plausible, intellectual, dramatic,,, what else can I say?

Author: brian-burchell from Canada
1 January 2016

What is most startling about this series, and in particular this newest 2015 season, is that this is not a show for the intellectually challenged. The plot is complex, the characters are dynamic and fluid, and the story-lines are completely plausible with regard to real-life events. These are all earmarks of a show that is doomed to be supplanted by the Seinfeld crowd. Generally speaking the viewing public don't seem to want to work hard to follow the plot lines.. This definitely seems to be an exception because MY God this is a good show. It is intelligent. It is absolutely coherent and faithfully follows history, albeit fantasized history. This show absolutely could be real. It doesn't seem to be pushing a particular ideology but rather seems to be a story of political intrigue. Acting is superb, Story is completely believable, action and drama is exciting and edge-of-your-seat exciting. This show is the antithesis of Seinfeld. What is amazing to me is contrary to most shows that force you to think, this show is still on and has not been canceled in favor of some brainless tripe.. Thank you viewing public for recognizing true brilliance.

A show that stays with you long after the final credits

Author: klamut1960 from Amherst, NY
24 December 2015

I have been watching Homeland since the beginning and have found every season to be among the best television I've ever seen. The characters are complex, flawed and human, the psychological suspense makes your skin crawl and the performances are astounding. Clare Danes and Mandy Pantinkin are the heart of the show, but every season has introduced new characters that we grow to care about, fear, or even despise. The show addresses the real issues that confront the world today - terrorism, national security and does an excellent job showcasing the viewpoints of both sides. Nothing is "black and white" - there are always shades of gray, which make the show fascinating, both as a thriller and as a character study, particularly of Carrie and Saul, the main protagonists.

This last season was especially haunting, particularly the final episode. I know I will be re-watching the entire season - it's that good. So glad the show has been renewed. Bravo to Showtime for continuing to provide us with intelligent, thought provoking television.

Good ... but highly inaccurate.

Author: Fresh_cuts from Italy
28 November 2014

Before I start with my notes. I must say,"Homeland" has a very firm and well planned plot. The cast is excellent, every member of it fits right in.

However, I've spent quiet sometime in the Meddle East and learned a thing or two about the region's complexity and it came to my attention the numerous inaccuracies and misunderstandings in the show's attempt to portray and emulate the complex nature, history and culture of Islam and the Meddle East. These inaccuracies and misunderstandings personifies typical western ignorance. For instance, in season 3, when Iran suddenly became the number one threat to US national security. viewers were under the impression that the Iran and Al-Qaeda had a substantial long term Cooperative relationship. which had never happened in real life. Because, within Islam, Al- Qaeda as an organization, belongs to the Sunni school. While Iran on the other hand, belongs to the Shiite one. each school claims that their set of beliefs is incontrovertibly true. Each school also claims that the other one is lost. Therefore, Iran and Al-Qaeda cannot work together. Which brings me to this notion. On the course of the show's second & third seasons, I had not once, witnessed or heard any reference to the Sunni-Shiite dispute. On the contrary, the show portrayed Islam as a one big monolithic religion.

Another thing I've noticed is that it's clear that the writers of the show didn't bother them selves to do a research on Arabic. For example, in season 3, in the scene where Carrie was standing in a room in front of a board, and on that board there were a lot of things placed on it by Carrie to estimate Brody's whereabouts. There was a large map, pictures, notes, a scrap paper from allegedly prominent meddle eastern newspaper. anyway, What caught my eye is that all the Arabic text on that scrap paper was written from left to right, and every character in that text was written separately. That is not the case. Its axiomatic that Arabic words and texts starts from right to left, and characters in Arabic words are joined together. Speaking of languages, I've also witnessed on the show the constant mix up and confusion between Arabic and Farsi (Persian), which is to be honest, very sloppy for a show of this magnitude.

One last thing I'd like to refer to is the show's disregard to the region's customs and traditions.

To be frank. Before I watched the show. I really thought that "Homeland" as a show made by a cable TV network would have more edge than other spy shows made by commercial networks, but I guess I was wrong. so, in conclusion, I'll till anybody considering watching the show and not so keen on details, to go for it. He or she will have a great time. On the other hand, I'll till anybody considering watching the show and seeks perfection to not waste his or her time.

a show that doesn't know what it wants to be

Author: hoergeraet
19 May 2014

This review does not contain any spoilers, but I ticked the box anyway just to be safe. So it's fine for you to read on, there are no spoilers in this review.

I honestly wanted to like this show, and I did kind of like the first season although even then I didn't quite agree with all the accolades and praise heaped on the show.

And then it completely veered off track - all the while it kept pretending that it was "quality television", which it really isn't. The characters are never fleshed out enough for me to care about any of them; the ridiculous forced "realism" got on my nerves early on and it went downhill from there; the plot twists are ludicrously contrived and are used only to move the characters around.

All in all, this is a show that doesn't know what it wants to be. Sometimes, the show pretends to be all about relationships, but it never deeply explores any of that. Then it suddenly wants to be a spy thriller, but suffers from laughably bad characterization, writing and (for the most part) acting.

I'm giving it 5 stars because it's not Burn Notice, but anything above 5/10 is pure fanboyism.

Oh yes, and Brody dies. I lied about the spoilers before. But I didn't lie since I ticked the box. "Spoiler alerts" are for the feeble-minded who care more about "big plot revelations" than about the substance of the story and the way it is told.

Typical TV Drama stuff - bailed almost instantly

Author: ahljnj from United States
12 October 2015

After friends telling me to watch Homeland for years ("This is the kind of show you'll love!"), I just started watching the pilot this morning. I gave up after a record breaking 15 minutes. In my brief viewing, I saw her receive orders to "let it go", abandon her vehicle on the street, and sneak into an Iraqi prison to talk to a terrorist awaiting execution. Cut to 10 months later, so obviously no repercussions for her. Arrives at the briefing that only she's always late for - no repercussions. Discussion of how we surgically killed 13 insurgents and found a missing presumed dead American, a win for the good guys...turned it off.

Let's see if I can call the series: Danes' character - seen it a hundred times - the rule-breaking rebel that really cares, very emotional, maybe unprofessional, never listens, never called on it. CIA - doing God's work in a dangerous world. Middle East - very foreign, full of very foreign potential terrorists, the Call to Prayer always in the air. Situations and resolutions - suspension of disbelief required.

How'd I do?

Top-notch acting and extremely gripping

Author: ATEreviews from United Kingdom
5 May 2015

I finished series 3 last night and I cannot believe how good this show was. I had heard of the hype but had somehow not seen any trailers or reviews on it prior to viewing. From the opening scene of series 1 the show grips you, you are hooked instantly and within the first 5 minutes the pace for the entire show is set. I won't go through each series and summarise them as that would give things away, I will instead explain what makes this show so great overall and why I consider it one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Pacing and Direction: As I said earlier from the opening scenes the pacing is set and it sticks to that throughout the entire show. It is incredibly fast paced, so many scenarios come and go but not once does it feel rushed, everything feels very polished and perfectly constructed. The action scenes are all well shot with minimal 'shaky cam' and feel well-choreographed. The choice of music is also very well done and help sets the scenes perfectly, whether it's to add excitement, tension or distress.

Characters and Acting: Possibly the greatest aspect of the entire show is the creation of characters and the people who were chosen to play them. Every single person, and I mean every single one, is faultless. Not one character doesn't fit or doesn't feel necessary; they all have a purpose they are all developed well and all acted sublimely. Carrie is a very detailed character who shows all sides to her personality that you could imagine, the stress who plays her is easily the strongest out of all the cast. Saul, Estes & Brody are the other main characters of the show and all occupy a large amount of screen time. They are all equally strong and well developed. The character development is very strong and you find yourself very connected to many of the characters and this is what makes this show so successful.

Storyline: So much goes on that you really have to keep focused or you will miss something key, so much changes and it develops and changes very frequently. The initial storyline is that of a US Marine who was captured and tortured for 8 years in Iran. He is captured and brought back to America where he is seen as a hero. Carrie however (a member of the CIA) suspects that he has been turned by his captives and has come back to America to carry out Terrorist activities against his country. That is how this roller-coaster of a journey begins and I will not say anymore as to not ruin anything!

Countless times I found myself binging on this show, easily watching 5-6 episodes at a time, it really is that addictive! If I had to pick any negatives it would be that sometimes scenarios can feel a little convenient and there are some minor plot holes but nothing that discourages me from giving this a top rating. It is much better than I initially expected and I would definitely recommend this to anyone! Go and watch it!

Homeland = big collection of unlikeable characters

Author: s k from United States
2 May 2015

This show is laughable from the point of view of unlikeable characters, non-believable story arcs, and questionable at best acting.

Never before have I seen such flat affect from so many characters.

Dana is insufferable. She's like some EMO teenager on too many sedatives.

Estes is equally insufferable. I don't think I've seen him smile once in two seasons.

Saul is the same. Deadpan. Expressionless. Emotionless. Ridiculous.

Then there's the obnoxious Jess. Whiny. Hypocritical. Loathsome.

Then there's Carrie. Good lord...somebody order up some more E.C.T. Please. (I swear...when she was going in for some "procedure", I thought she was going in for a lobotomy, not E.C.T.)

Then there's Mike. Totally forgettable.

Then there's Lauder...a PTSD on steroids.

Then there's Virgil, the obedient lap dog.

About the only tolerable character is Quinn, until he tanks because of his "love" for Carrie. (Wise up, dude. She's a psychopath.)

And then...there are the stupid, humorless, non-believable story arcs that are annoying at best, and the cheap soap-opera melodrama vs real drama.

And then there's the pacing...which is like watching paint dry.

And then there's the writing...which is as laughable as the one dimensional cut out characters.

Added all up...this show is not only less than the sum of its parts, the parts themselves are less than they should be.

What a grossly over-hyped, over-rated series.