IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Stupid

Author: daimon-193-511685
22 December 2014

Its been said in other reviews in more detail, but I just saw the last episode of season four and I just had to throw my 2 cents in (what the episode was worth): my God this show has become stupid. Its taken me a couple of seasons of yelling at the TV, but finally, I'm done. Hey, maybe I'm the stupid one for watching this long. OMG, when Carrie's mother told her that the guy at her house was her brother, I half expected a dramatic pause and some soap opera music to play. Truth be told, the whole season was replete with unbelievable scenarios. The head of the CIA and the former head of said organization together in Islamabad at the same time with the craziest most unbalanced station Chief possible. Really! I forgave all the plot holes initially because it was an interesting premise and had a good start; but four seasons of these holes. I will not watch next season. I just don't think I can watch Carrie's chin quiver on the verge of tears four times an episode again.

With Brody Lost the Direction Lost....

Author: prismatic_19 from Pakistan
29 November 2014

I have been a huge fan of "Homeland" and despite the fact that Homeland throughout its seasons have been depicting my home country (Pakistan) as a prehistoric barbaric state, i admired the twists and resilience of characters. But with Brody killed in Iran, it appears as if their is not much left in the show.

The direction in 4th season kind of blew my mind. I mean they could just fly in to Islamabad and shoot their episode, instead of creating a lame Islamabad somewhere in Washington's suburbs. Their are no rickshaws in Islamabad. The Washroom is not called Paakhana. Coffee House is not called "Chaiwalla". Their is no ISlamabad Bazaar in Islamabad. People don't use Urdu and neither understand it in Waziristan agency and thousands of other hilariously lame things. The Homeland team could do some research before airing this ill-crafted season. I am sorry but these are the facts.

The drone queen Miss Carrie gets out of her mind on the death of an American but she hardly gives a **** when she kills 40 tribal kids and women in a drone strikes... with such paradoxes i don't know what the homeland team want to prove.

Not very real

Author: najax9829 from United States
27 November 2014

Claire Dane's character is sooooooooooo unreal. No CIA agent will allow herself to be car laid with someone they suspect. No CIA agent would still be employed with such disregard for authority and disrespect she shows her superiors. Only Mandy Patinkin is a real actor in this series. I watched season 1 this past week to get familiar with the show and after the fifth episode I realized I lost5 hours of my life I can never get back. The wife calls her husband by his last name and the daughter I just wanted to slap. There are too many holes in the story, the major on is what is the plot other than the war on terrorism. There is a mole in the agency and no ones seems to address this with any urgency. Why is the vice president so important and no president at all on the scene for anything. As hokey as 24 was, this is not much better. Take it from one that has worked in this field for 20 years, this is not that real.

Interesting story, well acted, but very stereotypical and inaccurate

Author: WoundedCamel from United Kingdom
28 March 2014

For a while, Homeland had been on my list of TV shows to watch but I only got around to it last week. I started watching the series with an open mind and raced through the first season in a matter of days. I started the second season but after the first couple of episodes I just had to stop due to the stereotypical portrayal of Muslims as well as the fact that the the writers had obviously not done adequate research into the subject matter.

Now this is isn't to say I didn't enjoy what I watched. I found the acting to be excellent and the story very gripping, but the series' shortcomings really put me off.

As a Muslim myself, I was not at all insulted by anything in the show but the portrayal of Muslims really saddened me more than anything else. Muslim men were portrayed as stereotypical hard headed misogynists while the women were portrayed as contemptuous, rebellious individuals hell bent on defying their husbands. I'm sorry but these are just silly stereotypes designed to appeal to the (I'm assuming) largely European/American viewer base of the show.

The other thing that put me off the show was its inaccuracy. The show fails to acknowledge the differences between the various Islamic sects and basically portrays Muslims as a single unified group. Although I wish this were the case, it sadly isn't. The largely Sunni Al-Qaeda group would definitely not be cavorting with the Shia Hezbollah who they see as "heathens". Furthermore there are subtle differences between the way either sect prays which were not at all addressed. This definitely shows that the writers did not take any time to actually research the subject matter they aimed to portray.

Despite all these negative points, Homeland is a well acted show with an interesting story but is in no way an accurate portrayal of Muslims, which deeply saddens me. I feel the show had a lot of potential but was marred by these faults.

regarding the third season finale

Author: michaela_endomela from Israel
16 December 2013

I can't believe Brody's dead! I shouldn't watch the season, it was bad and wrecked the first 2 seasons. Without Brody the show isn't interesting. something is missing and that's him. Brody was the one that made the show good. Every episode I waited for his scenes with Carrie, that were the best. Claire Danes is excellent but she's like the mind in Homeland. Brody is (or was) the soul. and now he's missing... I need to write 10 lines minimum to get published but I think I made my point. It was a depressing ending and I think that there aren't any reasons to watch the show anymore. A big disappointment.

Homeland Needs a Parachute - Oxygen is Thin Up Here

Author: Unbilled_Role from United States
28 December 2012

I watched Homeland with anticipation during the first season. This program grew predictable and less believable by the start of Season 2. Here are some of the strengths and weaknesses of this show:

Wonderful acting by all of the teens, particularly Morgan Saylor (his daughter)

It's a mixed bag with Danes in the lead. Her expressions are overly-animated, irritating, and flat. This in itself provides a distraction in nearly every episode. I've seen her do better in other roles.

There is not much chemistry between the 2 leads. (Carrie and Brody). Their emotional bond feels plastic and stereotypical. I find this to be one of the most disappointing aspects of Homeland.

Rupert Friend and Damian Lewis both do a very fine job. But Lewis' responses are sometimes so abrupt, that it diffuses the power of his persona.

Patinkin gives a lovely delivery, and his character is a nice counterpoint to Carrie. His periodic Hebrew prayers are featured with an obvious healing presence, but this throws the spiritual balance off.

It seems like this show is promoting pro-Israel viewpoints. As others have said, I also sense a political agenda in this program. With the exception of the Danny Galvez character, I can find no other positive role models for Middle Eastern men or women portrayed in this show.

* SPOILER alerts for Season 2 are below *

The writing in certain scenes bubbles over with nonsense. In one key scene, Carrie is entering a building to capture a deadly enemy. But one thing is off -- she just happens to forget to bring a weapon. And her proclivity for self-destruction in the face of imminent danger becomes foolish and tiresome after a while. In another climatic scene, Brody reveals his involvement in aiding the enemy. But he reveals his true past in all of about 10 minutes with Carrie... the sheer brevity of this scene was deflating and anti-climatic.

Season 3 of Homeland, anyone? I'm not feeling too motivated at this point.

Could somebody give me an aspirin, and a cup of mint tea? Skip the sugar.

A First Class Start on a New Series

Author: gradyharp from United States
3 October 2011

Episode 1 of the hew series for television HOMELAND has been aired and form the initial episode it appears that this will be an intensely interesting, psychological thriller. All of the ingredients seem to be present - fine writing (Alex Gansa, Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff), fast paced direction by Michael Cuesta, and a very strong cast including Claire Danes in one of her most challenging roles, Damian Lewis and Mandy Patinkin.

The concept is very much in The public eye at this point - a study of how terrorists are followed and found and how the US Intelligence Service functions. The first episode introduces all of the main characters and fleshes out in a single episode the clues for all of the complicated substories and subplots that the series promises. After eight years absence Sgt. Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis) was thought MIA but is discovered in a filthy cell in Iraq ad brought back to the US in a Marine Victory parade. Brody had been captured with another Marine who was beaten to death and the reasons why Brody survived and his fellow Marine didn't makes CIA agent Carrie Anderson (Claire Danes) suspicious - could Brody have sold out to Iraqi bad guy Abu Nazir (Navid Negahban) and that is how he survived torture and captivity? Anderson is driven to see if her concept is correct, gains the backing of her boss Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin, and successfully fills Brody's house with surveillance equipment so his every move can be observed. The sidebars include the fact that in Brody's absence his wife Jessica (Morena Baccarin) has fallen in love with Brody's best friend, and in the intense questioning and shock of being back home Brody begins to remember events of his capture and imprisonment including the fact that he was the one who beat his fellow Marine to death at the behest of Abu Nasir. Brody's physical condition and body language also give signs that perhaps Anderson's concepts that Brody sold out to Abu Nazir and is plotting an attack on America are viable. The stinger is that Anderson is discovered as being on antipsychotic medication since a young girl - making her contributions to intelligence under suspicion. And so we are left with many possibilities for stories that will play out until this season's run ends in December.

It appears that this is a very strong series, but then some of the premiere shows of other series held great promise only to become ho-hum as the season ended. Let's hope this isn't the case: the three main characters are so strong it would be a shame if their stories became diluted.

Grady Harp

Senseless plot full of subtle racial profiles

Author: Joe Khoury from Texas
5 October 2012

You watch the show and learn nothing at all. In fact, it is a mediocre series disguised as good TV but filled with subtle racial profiles that feed into false generalizations. It is nowhere close to winner series like Mad Men. It's actually surprising that the whole premise of the show was given thumbs up in view of the vain message behind it. But again, who says the masses crave less superficial plots. In my opinion, Homeland is barely a notch above the senseless production that caused riots around the world a few weeks ago. One is just more subtle than the other, but the subliminal messages behind both of them are similar. They're meant to sow misunderstanding and establish certain stereotypes. One hopes the public is smarter than that.

Yawnnnnnnland

Author: Uttam HV from Mumbai
7 October 2012

WARNING: Viewers are getting tricked into watching the series for following reasons 1. The plot seems very interesting. 2. The fact that it swept the board at Emmy awards.

The series is filled with massive loop holes, unjustified story-line and ultra-slow pace. It also has the most anti-climactic and outrageous finale which will leave you fuming for putting up with a whole season of annoying smirk faced Sergeant Brody.

Most overrated series ever.

For people who still wanna watch it and get frustrated- I cannot think of anything but saying "I told you so"

Good ... but highly inaccurate.

Author: Fresh_cuts from Italy
28 November 2014

Before I start with my notes. I must say,"Homeland" has a very firm and well planned plot. The cast is excellent, every member of it fits right in.

However, I've spent quiet sometime in the Meddle East and learned a thing or two about the region's complexity and it came to my attention the numerous inaccuracies and misunderstandings in the show's attempt to portray and emulate the complex nature, history and culture of Islam and the Meddle East. These inaccuracies and misunderstandings personifies typical western ignorance. For instance, in season 3, when Iran suddenly became the number one threat to US national security. viewers were under the impression that the Iran and Al-Qaeda had a substantial long term Cooperative relationship. which had never happened in real life. Because, within Islam, Al- Qaeda as an organization, belongs to the Sunni school. While Iran on the other hand, belongs to the Shiite one. each school claims that their set of beliefs is incontrovertibly true. Each school also claims that the other one is lost. Therefore, Iran and Al-Qaeda cannot work together. Which brings me to this notion. On the course of the show's second & third seasons, I had not once, witnessed or heard any reference to the Sunni-Shiite dispute. On the contrary, the show portrayed Islam as a one big monolithic religion.

Another thing I've noticed is that it's clear that the writers of the show didn't bother them selves to do a research on Arabic. For example, in season 3, in the scene where Carrie was standing in a room in front of a board, and on that board there were a lot of things placed on it by Carrie to estimate Brody's whereabouts. There was a large map, pictures, notes, a scrap paper from allegedly prominent meddle eastern newspaper. anyway, What caught my eye is that all the Arabic text on that scrap paper was written from left to right, and every character in that text was written separately. That is not the case. Its axiomatic that Arabic words and texts starts from right to left, and characters in Arabic words are joined together. Speaking of languages, I've also witnessed on the show the constant mix up and confusion between Arabic and Farsi (Persian), which is to be honest, very sloppy for a show of this magnitude.

One last thing I'd like to refer to is the show's disregard to the region's customs and traditions.

To be frank. Before I watched the show. I really thought that "Homeland" as a show made by a cable TV network would have more edge than other spy shows made by commercial networks, but I guess I was wrong. so, in conclusion, I'll till anybody considering watching the show and not so keen on details, to go for it. He or she will have a great time. On the other hand, I'll till anybody considering watching the show and seeks perfection to not waste his or her time.