IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 28: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

regarding the third season finale

Author: michaela_endomela from Israel
16 December 2013

I can't believe Brody's dead! I shouldn't watch the season, it was bad and wrecked the first 2 seasons. Without Brody the show isn't interesting. something is missing and that's him. Brody was the one that made the show good. Every episode I waited for his scenes with Carrie, that were the best. Claire Danes is excellent but she's like the mind in Homeland. Brody is (or was) the soul. and now he's missing... I need to write 10 lines minimum to get published but I think I made my point. It was a depressing ending and I think that there aren't any reasons to watch the show anymore. A big disappointment.

Claire Danes

Author: ashley anderson (aprilshere@gmail.com) from United States
28 November 2012

Claire Danes is awful for this part. the show concept is overrated and she is too scripted. Ann Hathaway did a good job on SNL mocking her. I loved her in My So called Life but that is it. She has not impressed me since. Damian Lewis is great and I almost think he is the only good part of the show. I have not seen any of season 2 so hopefully i will see some improvement in her acting and the shows actual core. It must have some thing that is getting peoples attention. I still need 3 more lines and have nothing more to say about this show. So I will just type until I have 10 lines and I hope someone thinks that this is funny and interesting.

A First Class Start on a New Series

Author: gradyharp from United States
3 October 2011

Episode 1 of the hew series for television HOMELAND has been aired and form the initial episode it appears that this will be an intensely interesting, psychological thriller. All of the ingredients seem to be present - fine writing (Alex Gansa, Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff), fast paced direction by Michael Cuesta, and a very strong cast including Claire Danes in one of her most challenging roles, Damian Lewis and Mandy Patinkin.

The concept is very much in The public eye at this point - a study of how terrorists are followed and found and how the US Intelligence Service functions. The first episode introduces all of the main characters and fleshes out in a single episode the clues for all of the complicated substories and subplots that the series promises. After eight years absence Sgt. Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis) was thought MIA but is discovered in a filthy cell in Iraq ad brought back to the US in a Marine Victory parade. Brody had been captured with another Marine who was beaten to death and the reasons why Brody survived and his fellow Marine didn't makes CIA agent Carrie Anderson (Claire Danes) suspicious - could Brody have sold out to Iraqi bad guy Abu Nazir (Navid Negahban) and that is how he survived torture and captivity? Anderson is driven to see if her concept is correct, gains the backing of her boss Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin, and successfully fills Brody's house with surveillance equipment so his every move can be observed. The sidebars include the fact that in Brody's absence his wife Jessica (Morena Baccarin) has fallen in love with Brody's best friend, and in the intense questioning and shock of being back home Brody begins to remember events of his capture and imprisonment including the fact that he was the one who beat his fellow Marine to death at the behest of Abu Nasir. Brody's physical condition and body language also give signs that perhaps Anderson's concepts that Brody sold out to Abu Nazir and is plotting an attack on America are viable. The stinger is that Anderson is discovered as being on antipsychotic medication since a young girl - making her contributions to intelligence under suspicion. And so we are left with many possibilities for stories that will play out until this season's run ends in December.

It appears that this is a very strong series, but then some of the premiere shows of other series held great promise only to become ho-hum as the season ended. Let's hope this isn't the case: the three main characters are so strong it would be a shame if their stories became diluted.

Grady Harp

Yawnnnnnnland

Author: Uttam HV from Mumbai
7 October 2012

WARNING: Viewers are getting tricked into watching the series for following reasons 1. The plot seems very interesting. 2. The fact that it swept the board at Emmy awards.

The series is filled with massive loop holes, unjustified story-line and ultra-slow pace. It also has the most anti-climactic and outrageous finale which will leave you fuming for putting up with a whole season of annoying smirk faced Sergeant Brody.

Most overrated series ever.

For people who still wanna watch it and get frustrated- I cannot think of anything but saying "I told you so"

Feedback

Author: mghn1978
15 July 2014

I was one of the fans of this serial, however in recent episodes, my country, Iran had been shown in a very different way, which I am not happy with. My beautiful city, Tehran, had been shown like Arabian cities, it had been shown that in Tehran, people are wearing frightening Hijab and they are attacking others which is %100 wrong. we are civilized people and have powerful culture, there may be some political problems between my country and others, however it does not mean that we lost our humanity. Tehran is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and people are not at all like the one in the last episodes of Homeland.I highly have request from producers to show the reality about each place they are producing film about, in this case people who are watching these movies, will have a clear idea about other countries and their culture and habits. Thank You

Excellent drama

Author: vink0286 from Netherlands
19 September 2011

Excellent drama with very good acting all around. The story has the potential to keep us guessing what is really going on for some time I think. The story about an American marine that gets saved after being held captive for years by terrorists is engaging and well thought out. The only weak link in this is the storyline of the husband and wife that just seems to be a little bit forced. Its also good to see Mandy Patinkin again who I think is a wonderful actor. Damian Lewis is as always giving his all with moments of brilliance. Only Claire Danes looks likes she does not completely believe what she is saying but I am sure that she will grow into her role. I hope the writers can keep up the standard of the first episode. 8/10 from me and hoping it will get more in the future. 1 and 3/4 thumbs up!!

What a Show! Politically coherent, plausible, intellectual, dramatic,,, what else can I say?

Author: brian-burchell from Canada
1 January 2016

What is most startling about this series, and in particular this newest 2015 season, is that this is not a show for the intellectually challenged. The plot is complex, the characters are dynamic and fluid, and the story-lines are completely plausible with regard to real-life events. These are all earmarks of a show that is doomed to be supplanted by the Seinfeld crowd. Generally speaking the viewing public don't seem to want to work hard to follow the plot lines.. This definitely seems to be an exception because MY God this is a good show. It is intelligent. It is absolutely coherent and faithfully follows history, albeit fantasized history. This show absolutely could be real. It doesn't seem to be pushing a particular ideology but rather seems to be a story of political intrigue. Acting is superb, Story is completely believable, action and drama is exciting and edge-of-your-seat exciting. This show is the antithesis of Seinfeld. What is amazing to me is contrary to most shows that force you to think, this show is still on and has not been canceled in favor of some brainless tripe.. Thank you viewing public for recognizing true brilliance.

A show that stays with you long after the final credits

Author: klamut1960 from Amherst, NY
24 December 2015

I have been watching Homeland since the beginning and have found every season to be among the best television I've ever seen. The characters are complex, flawed and human, the psychological suspense makes your skin crawl and the performances are astounding. Clare Danes and Mandy Pantinkin are the heart of the show, but every season has introduced new characters that we grow to care about, fear, or even despise. The show addresses the real issues that confront the world today - terrorism, national security and does an excellent job showcasing the viewpoints of both sides. Nothing is "black and white" - there are always shades of gray, which make the show fascinating, both as a thriller and as a character study, particularly of Carrie and Saul, the main protagonists.

This last season was especially haunting, particularly the final episode. I know I will be re-watching the entire season - it's that good. So glad the show has been renewed. Bravo to Showtime for continuing to provide us with intelligent, thought provoking television.

Good ... but highly inaccurate.

Author: Fresh_cuts from Italy
28 November 2014

Before I start with my notes. I must say,"Homeland" has a very firm and well planned plot. The cast is excellent, every member of it fits right in.

However, I've spent quiet sometime in the Meddle East and learned a thing or two about the region's complexity and it came to my attention the numerous inaccuracies and misunderstandings in the show's attempt to portray and emulate the complex nature, history and culture of Islam and the Meddle East. These inaccuracies and misunderstandings personifies typical western ignorance. For instance, in season 3, when Iran suddenly became the number one threat to US national security. viewers were under the impression that the Iran and Al-Qaeda had a substantial long term Cooperative relationship. which had never happened in real life. Because, within Islam, Al- Qaeda as an organization, belongs to the Sunni school. While Iran on the other hand, belongs to the Shiite one. each school claims that their set of beliefs is incontrovertibly true. Each school also claims that the other one is lost. Therefore, Iran and Al-Qaeda cannot work together. Which brings me to this notion. On the course of the show's second & third seasons, I had not once, witnessed or heard any reference to the Sunni-Shiite dispute. On the contrary, the show portrayed Islam as a one big monolithic religion.

Another thing I've noticed is that it's clear that the writers of the show didn't bother them selves to do a research on Arabic. For example, in season 3, in the scene where Carrie was standing in a room in front of a board, and on that board there were a lot of things placed on it by Carrie to estimate Brody's whereabouts. There was a large map, pictures, notes, a scrap paper from allegedly prominent meddle eastern newspaper. anyway, What caught my eye is that all the Arabic text on that scrap paper was written from left to right, and every character in that text was written separately. That is not the case. Its axiomatic that Arabic words and texts starts from right to left, and characters in Arabic words are joined together. Speaking of languages, I've also witnessed on the show the constant mix up and confusion between Arabic and Farsi (Persian), which is to be honest, very sloppy for a show of this magnitude.

One last thing I'd like to refer to is the show's disregard to the region's customs and traditions.

To be frank. Before I watched the show. I really thought that "Homeland" as a show made by a cable TV network would have more edge than other spy shows made by commercial networks, but I guess I was wrong. so, in conclusion, I'll till anybody considering watching the show and not so keen on details, to go for it. He or she will have a great time. On the other hand, I'll till anybody considering watching the show and seeks perfection to not waste his or her time.

a show that doesn't know what it wants to be

Author: hoergeraet
19 May 2014

This review does not contain any spoilers, but I ticked the box anyway just to be safe. So it's fine for you to read on, there are no spoilers in this review.

I honestly wanted to like this show, and I did kind of like the first season although even then I didn't quite agree with all the accolades and praise heaped on the show.

And then it completely veered off track - all the while it kept pretending that it was "quality television", which it really isn't. The characters are never fleshed out enough for me to care about any of them; the ridiculous forced "realism" got on my nerves early on and it went downhill from there; the plot twists are ludicrously contrived and are used only to move the characters around.

All in all, this is a show that doesn't know what it wants to be. Sometimes, the show pretends to be all about relationships, but it never deeply explores any of that. Then it suddenly wants to be a spy thriller, but suffers from laughably bad characterization, writing and (for the most part) acting.

I'm giving it 5 stars because it's not Burn Notice, but anything above 5/10 is pure fanboyism.

Oh yes, and Brody dies. I lied about the spoilers before. But I didn't lie since I ticked the box. "Spoiler alerts" are for the feeble-minded who care more about "big plot revelations" than about the substance of the story and the way it is told.