IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Claire Danes

Author: ashley anderson (aprilshere@gmail.com) from United States
28 November 2012

Claire Danes is awful for this part. the show concept is overrated and she is too scripted. Ann Hathaway did a good job on SNL mocking her. I loved her in My So called Life but that is it. She has not impressed me since. Damian Lewis is great and I almost think he is the only good part of the show. I have not seen any of season 2 so hopefully i will see some improvement in her acting and the shows actual core. It must have some thing that is getting peoples attention. I still need 3 more lines and have nothing more to say about this show. So I will just type until I have 10 lines and I hope someone thinks that this is funny and interesting.

It's neither intelligent nor well-written

Author: bbbl67 from Ottawa, Canada
13 June 2012

I know when we watch a work of fiction, that we have to suspend our disbelief, but they are just asking way too much of it here from us. There are so many plot holes in this thing. I have watched the first 6 episodes of 12 so far, and I don't think it's going to get much better. The CIA agents must be buffoons here, making such basic mistakes that would've gotten a mall security guard fired.

I watched the story mainly to see Maurena Baccarin, and Damian Lewis. Claire Danes is of secondary interest to me. I've been a fan of Damian Lewis since his series, Life. I've been a fan of Maurena Baccarin, since her days on Firefly & SG-1 (not so much on V, however).

I do enjoy the acting, just don't like the writing.

A First Class Start on a New Series

Author: gradyharp from United States
3 October 2011

Episode 1 of the hew series for television HOMELAND has been aired and form the initial episode it appears that this will be an intensely interesting, psychological thriller. All of the ingredients seem to be present - fine writing (Alex Gansa, Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff), fast paced direction by Michael Cuesta, and a very strong cast including Claire Danes in one of her most challenging roles, Damian Lewis and Mandy Patinkin.

The concept is very much in The public eye at this point - a study of how terrorists are followed and found and how the US Intelligence Service functions. The first episode introduces all of the main characters and fleshes out in a single episode the clues for all of the complicated substories and subplots that the series promises. After eight years absence Sgt. Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis) was thought MIA but is discovered in a filthy cell in Iraq ad brought back to the US in a Marine Victory parade. Brody had been captured with another Marine who was beaten to death and the reasons why Brody survived and his fellow Marine didn't makes CIA agent Carrie Anderson (Claire Danes) suspicious - could Brody have sold out to Iraqi bad guy Abu Nazir (Navid Negahban) and that is how he survived torture and captivity? Anderson is driven to see if her concept is correct, gains the backing of her boss Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin, and successfully fills Brody's house with surveillance equipment so his every move can be observed. The sidebars include the fact that in Brody's absence his wife Jessica (Morena Baccarin) has fallen in love with Brody's best friend, and in the intense questioning and shock of being back home Brody begins to remember events of his capture and imprisonment including the fact that he was the one who beat his fellow Marine to death at the behest of Abu Nasir. Brody's physical condition and body language also give signs that perhaps Anderson's concepts that Brody sold out to Abu Nazir and is plotting an attack on America are viable. The stinger is that Anderson is discovered as being on antipsychotic medication since a young girl - making her contributions to intelligence under suspicion. And so we are left with many possibilities for stories that will play out until this season's run ends in December.

It appears that this is a very strong series, but then some of the premiere shows of other series held great promise only to become ho-hum as the season ended. Let's hope this isn't the case: the three main characters are so strong it would be a shame if their stories became diluted.

Grady Harp

Its horrible

Author: (octahexx) from Sweden
8 October 2013

Have you ever been to a super-mall and run into a kid screaming and kicking pouting its lip with tears and snot flying everywhere to get what it wants?

Imagine that kid growing up unaltered and you have the main character Carrie.

The plot is linear and flat. The characters are cardboard 2d flat. The environment is uninteresting.

The good guys is Americas homeland security that consist of cellphones 2 random guys in swat gear and some backdrop characters who never gets to do anything other then make Carrie cry make her underlip shiver and push snot out with the tears flying.

They are all bumbling idiots unable to tie their own shoe laces. The biggest most advanced monitoring and security machine ever made in the human history is ignored.

There is no monitoring software,no satellites no helicopters no nothing. Just a handful of idiots with cellphones. Im actually surprised they didn't use steam engine trains or bicycles but was allowed to use cars!

The opposing side that comes from countries filled with sand and don't have running water or schools or hospitals or basically anything but sand and goat herders and poverty on the other hand can execute flawless plans under the nose of the biggest most well-funded paranoid military complex in the world.

The actors are not bad its not their fault,its how the show is written.

I have never ever hated a character from a TV show so much as Carrie.

If you can tie your own shoelaces and count to potato i honestly think this show is beneath you and would recommend The bridge instead that at least tries to develop characters and some kind of a plot.

Great up until season 2

Author: shineon91
11 June 2014

Homeland is an example of a series which shows that everything can go wrong when too much confidence leads to terrible scenario decisions..Through the first two seasons the show gained a lot of respect from the public as a result of a strong scenario, a story that was thoroughly unwrapped and exceptional acting(which was depicted on the receiving awards).But somehow season 3 came out to be the worst possible addition to this show..Suddenly the scenario was weakened, the story was repeatable and it was clear that the absence of Brody in the first half was fading the charm of the series. The reappearance of Brody was like a 'life kiss' for this season, but surprisingly the writers had other plans in the end..Brody was killed and so the hopes of the viewers for this show..Season 4 is going to be a disaster,even if it comes out with a nice new story. Homeland is Brody, without him it's just another show, and frankly a mediocre one..

way to many faults

Author: davies73-959-258650 from Norway
27 March 2014

This is my first review, but i felt i had to question how this show could have such a high rating. Most of my favorite shows have good ratings, and i picked this show because it had great ratings.

I have watched 3 seasons, and I can not believe how bad it is. The main character is completely unrealistic. She has a severe mental disability, treats everyone she works with as badly as you possibly can, she even get shot by her own agency when she compromises an ongoing operation, lies to her superiors and coworkers whenever she likes and breaks every rule and regulation along the way. This show could be good for two seasons if you take out the lead character, but once you reach season three the show is so unrealistic that I can not see any way it could be saved.

I do hope they cut this travesty of a show, but I would really like to know how people could rate it so highly and would welcome some feedback about what people who see the faults like in the show.

Should have ended after two seasons

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
6 October 2014

Homeland should have ended after two seasons. It started very well: the military background, intrigue, mind games, double-cross and triple-cross. Plus you had all sorts of personal issues, especially with Carrie.

Season 2 was more of the same, though with more focus on the characters and less new background introduced.

Season 3 was where I started to lose interest. It had some interesting plot developments and twists, but mostly seemed to drift. Even the twists often just seemed to be for twist's sake. Then they killed off the main character...

Got through one hour of Season 4 and gave up. Just seems tired, formulaic and offering nothing new.

Proof that TV producers don't know when to pull the plug and let a good series end with dignity.

Best show

Author: johnturtlebaum711 from United States
19 June 2012

can't get enough... please bring on the next season. I am having withdrawals.. this is such a good show that i almost would rather rent the dvds then to watch each episode. I can't stand to wait for the next one.. all the characters are great the character playing brody was so good in band of brothers i'm glad to see he is getting more attention. im not a claire danes fan but i actually don't mind her in this show... she is so fantastic that I forgot. even the more energetic scenes are not cheesy at all. also curious to see how they do the next season give me more homeland soon plllllleeeeassseee!!!!!! wonder if brody is going to finally give up his contacts.

Homeland's Season 2 Overall

Author: manos-26 from Thessaloniki, Greece
21 July 2013

Homeland is a masterpiece. It started with a really strong 1st season that made you stay tuned no matter what. However many fans of the show found that the second season fell short of their expectations and that a few episodes during the end of the season lacked plausibility. Well I have to totally disagree with them and say that Homeland's 2nd season is a masterpiece as well.

I have to admit that as approaching to the finale, some episodes seemed a little extreme and hyperbolic. But after watching the 2nd season finale I have to say that I take everything back! So many things were explained and in the most unexpected way. Every weird moment suddenly transformed into a well-written requirement that lead to this triumphant closure.

Hating episodes is easy but it's the big picture that we must see. It is true that every episode must be able to stand alone but let's don't forget that Homeland is a serial drama. And serial dramas have transition episodes. After all what Homeland's writers pulled is impressive. Make transition episodes action packed!

Propagana yes, distorted yes, but still the best show on TV

Author: bobbobwhite from san ramon ca
15 April 2013

Claire Danes is the best actor in the best series on TV, thus she is outstanding and unparalleled. She has always totally inhabited her characters, and she is a worthy successor to Meryl Streep's esteemed title as World's Best Chameleon actor. She is absolutely believable in every scene. She is Carrie, CIA agent extraordinaire, and no one else. Mandy Patinkin, as her boss, is also at the top of his game here.

Yes, this so dangerous, foreboding and often creepy CIA tale about terrorism and its horrible personal fallout is wonderful TV and shows what can be done in a quality cable TV series with a complex tale that cannot be unwound in a 2 hour movie. It takes many hours of story to unpeel all the layers of the strange onion that is the CIA, or at least the entertainment version of it. Red herrings abound throughout, moving from "is it that guy?" to another guy in a flash, keeping us guessing who is doing all that national security damage that this CIA says is always critical and crucial and deadly, and always consumes the full life of any agent at the expense of all else, and even makes some of them ill or crazy or even traitors.

No opinions are stated here on whether the story is realistic and whether the events and personal interactions depicted truly happen in the real CIA. Of course the story is dramatized, as much of real CIA work is numbingly boring and mundane, but of course who would watch that?

The story, supporting cast, mood lighting and soundtrack, locations, and camera work are so outstanding that they rival the best feature film work. Of course, odd story twists, dramatic effects, and chew the scenery acting also abound here, but so much of it is necessary to propel the story for a full series and keep it threatening and scary with no comforting let up, ever.

This level of TV quality is what everyone always thought TV could be if it really tried. And, after watching this accomplished series, you will never again trust that strange neighbor of yours. You know, the one who comes and goes at such odd hours. Hmmm.