IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 27: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Senseless plot full of subtle racial profiles

Author: Joe Khoury from Texas
5 October 2012

You watch the show and learn nothing at all. In fact, it is a mediocre series disguised as good TV but filled with subtle racial profiles that feed into false generalizations. It is nowhere close to winner series like Mad Men. It's actually surprising that the whole premise of the show was given thumbs up in view of the vain message behind it. But again, who says the masses crave less superficial plots. In my opinion, Homeland is barely a notch above the senseless production that caused riots around the world a few weeks ago. One is just more subtle than the other, but the subliminal messages behind both of them are similar. They're meant to sow misunderstanding and establish certain stereotypes. One hopes the public is smarter than that.

regarding the third season finale

Author: michaela_endomela from Israel
16 December 2013

I can't believe Brody's dead! I shouldn't watch the season, it was bad and wrecked the first 2 seasons. Without Brody the show isn't interesting. something is missing and that's him. Brody was the one that made the show good. Every episode I waited for his scenes with Carrie, that were the best. Claire Danes is excellent but she's like the mind in Homeland. Brody is (or was) the soul. and now he's missing... I need to write 10 lines minimum to get published but I think I made my point. It was a depressing ending and I think that there aren't any reasons to watch the show anymore. A big disappointment.

Interesting concept destroyed by very weak writing

Author: userseven from Bucharest, Romania
12 September 2013

What is wrong with this picture? The organization and the ALL operatives are portrayed as utter incompetents just filling their seats. You don't need to be even remotely close to the subject to guess that this is not how things go down in the real world with the real guys. Also this apparent lack of solid procedures or good judgment of any kind is in fact the main source of story meat for the series. You only needed a man with half a brain in the first episode going "wait just a second here". And BAM, no more series, we can carry one with our boring life.

The main two protagonists also seem to go all over the place in the wrong way. There is not even a single instance where Carrie comes off as brilliant agent, deserving of the badge. They try at some point to pull the "rainman" card on her but it comes out wrong, cheap and it gets even more confusing afterward, perpetually rising the question "why is she still around to blew interrogations and generally irritate everyone?". Brody shifts a lot between the omnipotent bad guy that lies at polygraph test like a breeze, lies and uses his family and the good guy with major problems after his 8 year ordeal at the hand of the enemy you should feel for. At the end of season 2 you have long decided that he is a jerk that could get written off at any point without loss.

BTW, where are his flashbacks from his time as POW? Gone before anything good came out of them. But in Homeland there are A LOT of this kind of roads that lead absolutely nowhere but end in disappointment.

But in the end what I particularly dislike is the missed opportunity. You have a very good concept, you have a very solid cast and then you hire what seems to be a crack writing team of fifth graders to fumble around and imagine plots and twists. A job well done sirs, cookies for everyone!

Feedback

Author: mghn1978
15 July 2014

I was one of the fans of this serial, however in recent episodes, my country, Iran had been shown in a very different way, which I am not happy with. My beautiful city, Tehran, had been shown like Arabian cities, it had been shown that in Tehran, people are wearing frightening Hijab and they are attacking others which is %100 wrong. we are civilized people and have powerful culture, there may be some political problems between my country and others, however it does not mean that we lost our humanity. Tehran is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and people are not at all like the one in the last episodes of Homeland.I highly have request from producers to show the reality about each place they are producing film about, in this case people who are watching these movies, will have a clear idea about other countries and their culture and habits. Thank You

It grows on you ...

Author: Razvan Rogoz from Romania
28 December 2015

After the first two episodes of Homeland I wasn't really that captivated. It seemed interesting but it was also paced really, really, really slow. The characters were not interesting (yet), the story hinted at something but not enough to spark interest and I was about to give up.

However, I've decided to keep watching. There are few movies with an 8.4 average on IMDb. Now I've almost finished season 1 and I like it, very much. The action picked up and it is moving far faster. It shocks you exactly in the right moments. I am curious about what is going to happen.

I'm not going to give details because 80% of what keeps me watching is pure curiosity. However, I must tell you that it is a very nice political / spy thriller, a combination of House of Cards with a psychological thriller.

So yes, watch it. There are many "WTF" moments in this movie, in a good sense. Just give it a chance and watch at least half a season. It gets better, promise.

Most Pathetic Season by ShowTime

Author: topgun634 from US
11 February 2015

Season 4 was the most pathetic. the writer and director should at least think what fabricated tales they have been forecasting. It has hurt the sentiments of local populace in Pakistan. The series should be immediately banned. Season 4 was the most pathetic. the writer and director should at least think what fabricated tales they have been forecasting. It has hurt the sentiments of local populace in Pakistan. The series should be immediately banned. Season 4 was the most pathetic. the writer and director should at least think what fabricated tales they have been forecasting. It has hurt the sentiments of local populace in Pakistan. The series should be immediately banned.

Claire Danes

Author: ashley anderson (aprilshere@gmail.com) from United States
28 November 2012

Claire Danes is awful for this part. the show concept is overrated and she is too scripted. Ann Hathaway did a good job on SNL mocking her. I loved her in My So called Life but that is it. She has not impressed me since. Damian Lewis is great and I almost think he is the only good part of the show. I have not seen any of season 2 so hopefully i will see some improvement in her acting and the shows actual core. It must have some thing that is getting peoples attention. I still need 3 more lines and have nothing more to say about this show. So I will just type until I have 10 lines and I hope someone thinks that this is funny and interesting.

A First Class Start on a New Series

Author: gradyharp from United States
3 October 2011

Episode 1 of the hew series for television HOMELAND has been aired and form the initial episode it appears that this will be an intensely interesting, psychological thriller. All of the ingredients seem to be present - fine writing (Alex Gansa, Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff), fast paced direction by Michael Cuesta, and a very strong cast including Claire Danes in one of her most challenging roles, Damian Lewis and Mandy Patinkin.

The concept is very much in The public eye at this point - a study of how terrorists are followed and found and how the US Intelligence Service functions. The first episode introduces all of the main characters and fleshes out in a single episode the clues for all of the complicated substories and subplots that the series promises. After eight years absence Sgt. Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis) was thought MIA but is discovered in a filthy cell in Iraq ad brought back to the US in a Marine Victory parade. Brody had been captured with another Marine who was beaten to death and the reasons why Brody survived and his fellow Marine didn't makes CIA agent Carrie Anderson (Claire Danes) suspicious - could Brody have sold out to Iraqi bad guy Abu Nazir (Navid Negahban) and that is how he survived torture and captivity? Anderson is driven to see if her concept is correct, gains the backing of her boss Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin, and successfully fills Brody's house with surveillance equipment so his every move can be observed. The sidebars include the fact that in Brody's absence his wife Jessica (Morena Baccarin) has fallen in love with Brody's best friend, and in the intense questioning and shock of being back home Brody begins to remember events of his capture and imprisonment including the fact that he was the one who beat his fellow Marine to death at the behest of Abu Nasir. Brody's physical condition and body language also give signs that perhaps Anderson's concepts that Brody sold out to Abu Nazir and is plotting an attack on America are viable. The stinger is that Anderson is discovered as being on antipsychotic medication since a young girl - making her contributions to intelligence under suspicion. And so we are left with many possibilities for stories that will play out until this season's run ends in December.

It appears that this is a very strong series, but then some of the premiere shows of other series held great promise only to become ho-hum as the season ended. Let's hope this isn't the case: the three main characters are so strong it would be a shame if their stories became diluted.

Grady Harp

More of the same old, same old.

Author: zeroro123
23 September 2012

This show may have superb acting and an interesting cast, but it's just simply not enough for me to want to keep watching. Plot holes, continuity troubles, and predictable storytelling make this show fall face first where it otherwise could have soared. It merely plays off of other "thrilling", "high-energy" shows of times past (such as "24","The Shield", etc.)and expects the audience to not realize they've seen it all before. Originality is not encouraged by the writers of this show, rather, comfortable familiarity. What's worse is they're actually being praised for this by receiving emmys and recognition. Prepare yourselves for the next iteration of the same show next fall, Tuesdays at 6/7 central.

Yawnnnnnnland

Author: Uttam HV from Mumbai
7 October 2012

WARNING: Viewers are getting tricked into watching the series for following reasons 1. The plot seems very interesting. 2. The fact that it swept the board at Emmy awards.

The series is filled with massive loop holes, unjustified story-line and ultra-slow pace. It also has the most anti-climactic and outrageous finale which will leave you fuming for putting up with a whole season of annoying smirk faced Sergeant Brody.

Most overrated series ever.

For people who still wanna watch it and get frustrated- I cannot think of anything but saying "I told you so"