IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Excellent drama

Author: vink0286 from Netherlands
19 September 2011

Excellent drama with very good acting all around. The story has the potential to keep us guessing what is really going on for some time I think. The story about an American marine that gets saved after being held captive for years by terrorists is engaging and well thought out. The only weak link in this is the storyline of the husband and wife that just seems to be a little bit forced. Its also good to see Mandy Patinkin again who I think is a wonderful actor. Damian Lewis is as always giving his all with moments of brilliance. Only Claire Danes looks likes she does not completely believe what she is saying but I am sure that she will grow into her role. I hope the writers can keep up the standard of the first episode. 8/10 from me and hoping it will get more in the future. 1 and 3/4 thumbs up!!

8.5......Meh.........

Author: kikkapi20 from usa
17 January 2015

This is how it goes, and the author did the following, pick a real life political situation and twist it around while drunk or under drugs. Add some facts with lots of impossible imaginary incidents, then wake up from the hangover to see all is wrong and does not add up. It is all about over sized terrorists, CIA screw ups and characters that are lost and jumping places. You cannot fool educated viewers with all this crap, like shooting a scene in Morocco with men dressed as Jordanians and women dressed like Egyptians and say it is Beirut. The author, producer, and director should have done more research to convince us, it is another "24" but here Jack Bauer is a Psycho - Cuckoo blonde named Carie Do not waste your time on this, slow boring and does not add up!

Homeland. H for Horrible.

Author: adriaan_ten_bosch from Netherlands
13 January 2015

What a piece of Cr*p this first season. All fake and not one single moment makes you happy. Not once you get the feeling the CIA is actually on to something or making a difference. The series makes you follow Carrie Mathison, the main character. The series is constructed so you identify with her and you want her to succeed. This happens NOT ONCE. throughout the episodes, Carrie gets very close to solving the problems but nobody in the CIA believes her. This is idiotic. its the CIA's f####g job to investigate the things Carrie comes up with but still everybody thinks she's crazy. and NO, its wont get better and NO, things won't solve itself in the last episode. In the end, everything becomes even more fake and the season leaves you empty-handed and unsatisfied. 12hrs of my life wasted on this B*LLCR*P.

highly NOT recommended

Author: chupixpanoramix
31 December 2014

This show is a typical high grade (imdb ratings) hype that is very common on this site. A lot of people is attracted by its high ratings, they think its a must see and then high rate is given without any critical thought.

Ratings aside, here is some focus points that could be useful to potential viewer:

characters - i am afraid that it is very hard to connect to any of the leading roles in this show which is a huge handicap. You wont be rooting for no one here.

storyline - if you care about consistency in a show move on this is not your thing. The spins, holes in plot and u-turns will make you angry.

realism - when a show deals with serious and controversial things like espionage, terrorism, USA-Islam relations you better be realistic. If you ask me this show is ignorantly ridiculous.

the drama element - the writers really tried to over overwhelm viewers with dramatical moments but they seems forced and artificial. If you compare this show with for instance Breaking Bad, where even a silence is making you bite your nails you'll get what i mean.

To conclude - if your criteria has been raised while watching The wire, Breaking bad, Mad men or House of cards you'll be disappointed. Don't let the ratings fool you, Homeland is not in the same league like the mentioned shows and is full of dull, chaotic and even ignorant moments.

Great when I first started watching it, but looking back it makes little sense

Author: Peter Harris from Massachusetts, USA
17 July 2013

I watched the first season in 2 days and really liked it (not loved it, but it was good). I still have not gotten back to it and watched season 2, though. But though I enjoyed watching it, when I think about it, this show is pretty bad. The plot is all over the place, Carrie is a bitch, first Brody seems like he might be a terrorist, then maybe not, then yeah, he's probably a terrorist, then Carrie f#cks him (seriously, what the HELL?) then he seems like a cool guy and then he's not. It really seems like the writers have zero idea where they are going with this.

Still haven't gotten around to the second season since there are so many better shows to watch. I probably will watch it at some point, but I'm in no hurry.

Religious Propaganda

Author: roqash_roqi from Pakistan
18 October 2013

Well i have started watching this series hoping it would be a thrilling story and after watching 1st season i am quite satisfied with the story line of the series but the main propaganda in this series is to degrade Islam and all Muslim countries...

There should be a code of conduct to avoid targeting a specific religion or country in any film or series...

So in my opinion this series is solely based on targeting and degrading the Islamic religion which is inhumane behavior and quite shameful...

The terrorists have no religion or faith as to kill someone is to kill all humanity...

It's neither intelligent nor well-written

Author: bbbl67 from Ottawa, Canada
13 June 2012

I know when we watch a work of fiction, that we have to suspend our disbelief, but they are just asking way too much of it here from us. There are so many plot holes in this thing. I have watched the first 6 episodes of 12 so far, and I don't think it's going to get much better. The CIA agents must be buffoons here, making such basic mistakes that would've gotten a mall security guard fired.

I watched the story mainly to see Maurena Baccarin, and Damian Lewis. Claire Danes is of secondary interest to me. I've been a fan of Damian Lewis since his series, Life. I've been a fan of Maurena Baccarin, since her days on Firefly & SG-1 (not so much on V, however).

I do enjoy the acting, just don't like the writing.

Crisp and Engrossing

Author: tickin from Canada
8 October 2011

I've only seen the pilot but it was exceptional viewing. Not for children though.

If they continue to allow the writers and actors to flex their muscles this show will shine. There is a professional quality to Homeland that I haven't seen in a long time. The direction was subtle but commanding, the actors were ace, and the writing was poignant without once hinting at the maudlin.

Hopefully the studio won't cut the creative/professional legs off this one just as it starts running.

Very engrossing stuff.

Great show. Season 4 has some factual drawbacks

Author: Imtiaz P from Pakistan
23 March 2015

Season 4 of Homeland lives up to the riveting suspense it started with in the first season. The theme of prisoners of war developing affinity and empathy with their captors/enemy (Stockholm syndrome?) is cleverly reinvented in a new war zone; from Israel/Arab conflict to Taliban versus the West/CIA. This is where the otherwise impressive show is marred by details.

The locations, particularly Islamabad/Pakistan; most of the cast playing Afghan and Pakistani roles; local languages their accents and translations; appearances, costumes and uniforms; streets and signboards; and other depictions of the local culture leave a wide credibility gap and unwelcome distractions.

For example, a condolence from English to Urdu is translated as 'I apologize instead of: I am sorry.' Similar errors are many where the diction and syntax are alien to the region the characters are supposed to represent.

Another misrepresentation of cultural norms is a long embrace between a man and woman on the roof of a house in daylight and full view of the neighborhood. Haqqani's, a Taliban leader, return home and touching his wife in front of a crowd is another taboo which seeped through.

Except for few, most of the names given to characters are neither Pakistani nor Afghan. Islamabad street scenes, vehicles on the road and the surrounding landscape do not represent the original locale.

Not that I am going to stop watching rest of the show, but I do wish more attention was given to the above mentioned aspects of production.

Excellent!

Author: The Couchpotatoes from Belgium
17 February 2015

It goes beyond my comprehension that people hate this show. They must all be American brainwashed patriots. Seriously get over it, it's just a show and it's a good one. I absolutely love this show, the actors are all very believable in their roles, the storyline is exceptional, full of twists that keeps you on the edge of your seat during the whole show. At the end of every episode I already want to watch the next one as soon as possible. Everything that you think happens in real life when you think about CIA, espionage, terrorists and so on passes the register. Conspiracies, paranoia, double-crossing, betrayal, false promises etc. Clair Danes puts down a brilliant performance playing an unstable CIA analyst. To me the whole series is full of action and suspense. One of the best series!