Homeland (TV Series 2011– ) Poster

(2011– )

328 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Intriguing Drama with an immensely talented cast.
Akshit Markan12 October 2011
If you wanted to see a gripping thriller with incredible characters, you have come to the perfect place. 'Homeland' is the new Showtime Drama that entertains you throughout and never lets you go, thus succeeding in slipping in some really unexpected twists in the plot. With writers who've previously written for '24', the show does look inspired when it comes to keeping the audience in the dark.

The show is blessed with a small but amazing cast whose performance is worth every penny. Claire Danes plays an intense CIA analyst who believes that recently recovered P.O.W. (Damian Lewis) is plotting to attack America. Her character is unstable and makes it hard for the audience to believe her which adds to the beauty of the script. Damian Lewis, on the other hand, plays the 'guy in uniform' with ease as he did splendidly in 'Band of Brothers'. The show hasn't revealed much about Damian's character and I have a feeling they wouldn't do that any time soon, since it keeps the suspense going.

The pilot was top-notch and certainly the best that premiered this fall. If the show continues to be intriguing and maintains the high quality of the pilot, it can surely be a genius.

10 stars at least for now.
225 out of 329 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A brilliant first season leaves me pining for more.
endemoniada-119 December 2011
Wow, yeah, so a lot of people watched the final episode and thought the show sucked. Maybe they're right, a lot of them also seem to share the same problems with it, from the ending being disappointing to it being a "propaganda show" AGAINST the USA.

First of all, whatever the political aspirations of the show's creators, this is a fantastically solid, well-acted and directed first season of a show that feels like what 24 should have been from the start. Tight-knit, down-to-earth suspense with an actually realistic premise. As for the supposed "propaganda", it's time the people in the US hear what the rest of the world has been thinking for a decade now. No, really, we actually don't think it's absolutely ridiculous that 10 years of retaliatory wars in the Middle East will spawn some kind of blowback. This show explores what we've all been thinking, but American patriotism makes it shameful to admit. I find that incredibly strong and encouraging, and it makes me watch it not because I hate American, but because I enjoy and appreciate truth.

As for the acting, I sincerely hope Claire Danes will receive proper recognition. Especially in the last few episodes towards the end, her performance has been among the strongest on TV in years. Lately, only Brian Cranston's amazing tour-de-force in Breaking Bad has topped it. Damian Lewis, too, delivers like I've rarely seen. Far from the caricatures of Muslim terrorists Americans apparently would like to see, he sincerely and convincingly acts out the role of the man who is emotionally sure of what he wants, but not brainwashed enough to think is the absolute only way to achieve it. Desperation can make anyone rationalize their goals, but not always be enough for that final push.

Now I eagerly await the second season, amid the angry and upset cries of all the people who can only accept fantasy that supports their own, real homeland.
139 out of 201 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bet on the wrong horse
christian-h-e13 April 2017
Great show except how they bet on Hillary and wrote season six as if she had won and the Conservatives were the ones shouting "not my president" and coming up with the FAKE NEWS and the security services are hiding the TRUTH. LOL hilarious! Of course in reality the Dems are the ones screaming "not my president", focusing on fake Russia/Trump ties with zero evidence and Trump is the one fighting our intel bureaus who are manipulated by the Leftist propaganda and sock puppets.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If CIA operates anything like HOMELAND we're doomed!
C. Scott14 January 2013
Sounds interesting until you watch it, and if you're like me you tend to pick it's bones like turkey on Thanksgiving. Carrie has an affair with Brody to get closer to gathering information, but she actually falls for him, then has a nervous breakdown & acts all jittery & crazy. Yet she's still allowed to be in charge & hold her rank in the CIA while crying at every drop of a hat? Puleeeese! And the Brody character is not only titled an American hero, but he's a Congressman scouted to be the Vice President's running mate. That in itself would be a lot on his plate, but where does he find time to plot terrorist activities, stay abreast of military & presidential affairs, while hiding from press who usually dog any political appointee, and sneak off from his wife & kids while running off to meet Carrie for weekends in little cabins in the woods? Puleeeese! Mandy Pantikin co-stars as Saul,whose been with the CIA 35 years. He trained Carrie & placed her in the field, and though not her boss anymore, he's still protective of her & she looks to him as a mentor. However, she rarely takes his advice these days & constantly runs off on tangents which, in real life, would either get her killed or most likely stripped of rank & fired. I really like Pantikin but sad to see him take on a role of such a complacent character. Give him some spit & fire! Puleeeeese!! I'm bored with it now & probably will drop it altogether. Hopefully before the next time (otherwise pretty) Claire Danes' cry face freezes that way...
43 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent!
The Couchpotatoes17 February 2015
It goes beyond my comprehension that people hate this show. They must all be American brainwashed patriots. Seriously get over it, it's just a show and it's a good one. I absolutely love this show, the actors are all very believable in their roles, the storyline is exceptional, full of twists that keeps you on the edge of your seat during the whole show. At the end of every episode I already want to watch the next one as soon as possible. Everything that you think happens in real life when you think about CIA, espionage, terrorists and so on passes the register. Conspiracies, paranoia, double-crossing, betrayal, false promises etc. Clair Danes puts down a brilliant performance playing an unstable CIA analyst. To me the whole series is full of action and suspense. One of the best series!
34 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So let down
jessed-7891414 April 2017
I've kept up with this series since its first episode. I can't tell you how let down I feel at this point. In this season the writing has become so frustratingly predictable I am finding myself anticipating things before they happen. They've started an episode and several scenes with lame plot turning monologues that seem super lazy to me. In previous seasons, particularly 1-3, writers wove its story through each episode in a very intriguing way. Now I feel I am being spoon fed plot turns like I've never seen the show, simply put the intelligence of this show has gone way down. Also, this season took some real liberal stabs at predicting the political scene that you can see had to be altered as it went on, not a great way to write in my opinion. Sadly, I won't be watching this show any longer.

Cast: Mandy Patinkin is quite literally the only reason I have held on this long. He is a classic and I hope he ends up with another starring role after this one ends.

Rupert Friend really showed his chops in this show, I love the seasons where he was a bad ass and the guy you counted on. I hated this seasons version of Peter Quinn and hate to see him go.

Claire Danes has been super hit and miss for me in this show. I don't blame her for this seasons short comings. I feel like shes done a good job with a plot that keeps changing.

Damian Lewis was the reason I started watching this show to begin with. He was awesome as Nicholas Brody and I miss his acting.

F. Murray Abraham- I love hating this bad good guy. He is a great actor and his character development over this series has been really good.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An annoyingly stupid depiction...
Cook E. Munster24 December 2012
Annoying characters, meaningless drama and absolutely no attention to detail.

This show would have you believe that the major CIA operations are based on the whims and fancies of an out of control, emotionally unstable over grown child. What a joke! The whole series is characterized by painful stupidity and unbelievable laxness on the part of both terrorists and CIA operatives.

There is one scene where a terrorist lies down ON TOP of the backseat of a car with a blanket over himself and the driver never notices. Even when she is stopped at a police check point by a cop with a torch (security for the vice president) no one notices anything!!! Really?

In addition to all the stupidity, the show is also borderline offensive to Arabs.

I wish I had not bought the whole damn season on amazon.

THE WIRE still reigns supreme as (by far) the best drama ever.... ...is there no one else?
64 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Slow and formulaic
a1_andy_115 November 2012
Homeland has been receiving rave reviews and I can't see why. It's predictable, corny and incredibly slow at times. Our lead character is a troubled, stubborn, renegade agent who constantly disobeys her Superiors (she also can't stop shouting). This formula has been used in every buddy cop show ever made. Not to mention shows like The Shield, 24, etc. Although this time I found myself siding with the villain. Clare Danes makes for a very annoying and unlikeable Jack Bauer clone who over acts every scene with the same three facial expressions.

The middle east is portrayed in the usual black and white over the top Hollywood style. Then comes the slow pacing, with hollow characters going through predictable motions the viewer has too much time to realise not enough effort went into the story. 24 got away with insane plot holes because it was so fast paced, the viewer is on a roller-coaster ride.

Damian Lewis is a good actor but he has nothing to work with here. As is Mandy Patinkin, their talent is wasted on this shoddy 24 clone.
168 out of 262 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
good but really nothing that extraordinary
nanofcb27 September 2012
Mmm I think that the shows starts good but after that they just overstretched the story with just unexplained twists.

the good part extends from the pilot to the 6/7 episode, after that parking lot sex it just goes stupidly wrong. I mean how the hell a CIA agent will go out and sleep with somebody she's suspecting to be a freaking terrorist FFS and how does a trained CIA agent believes the words of someone that just admitted to her face that he was lying, oh just because she fell in love with him, yeah you heard right, a CIA Agent fell in love with the man she was convinced he was a terrorist just a few days ago.

Oh and please,to the writers of this show and others in general, stop using the "bipolar" thing just to solve your plot writing issues, it's really getting old and lame.

Not talking about the disappointing ending, Overstretched Plot is Freaking OVERSTRETCHED. Don't believe the hype.
100 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why am I watching this?
Vincent Nguon5 November 2012
  • Overstretched plot - VERY unlikeable characters (especially the main character) - So many useless scenes - Not enough story-driven - Plot-holes - Unrealistic fiction

What appeared to be a great idea on paper: "a POW has been turned" is becoming a dramatic soap opera... I was expecting something 24-like because of the writers but nothing is common, no action, no twists, no cliffhangers, no nothing. I hate Carrie, Saul, Brody's wife, I kinda like Brody (props to his daughter's acting) who is supposed to be the bad guy... who apparently is going to be led straight to the VP office.

I don't even know why I'm watching but I think I will stop soon if nothing happens. I started because of the hype, but I shouldn't have.

The only thing I like about this show is that you can start watching and do something else on the side you wont miss a lot.

And finally: WHY WOULD YOU F*** SOMEONE YOU THOUGHT COULD BE A TERRORIST???
162 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this