IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 23: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Interesting concept destroyed by very weak writing

Author: userseven from Bucharest, Romania
12 September 2013

What is wrong with this picture? The organization and the ALL operatives are portrayed as utter incompetents just filling their seats. You don't need to be even remotely close to the subject to guess that this is not how things go down in the real world with the real guys. Also this apparent lack of solid procedures or good judgment of any kind is in fact the main source of story meat for the series. You only needed a man with half a brain in the first episode going "wait just a second here". And BAM, no more series, we can carry one with our boring life.

The main two protagonists also seem to go all over the place in the wrong way. There is not even a single instance where Carrie comes off as brilliant agent, deserving of the badge. They try at some point to pull the "rainman" card on her but it comes out wrong, cheap and it gets even more confusing afterward, perpetually rising the question "why is she still around to blew interrogations and generally irritate everyone?". Brody shifts a lot between the omnipotent bad guy that lies at polygraph test like a breeze, lies and uses his family and the good guy with major problems after his 8 year ordeal at the hand of the enemy you should feel for. At the end of season 2 you have long decided that he is a jerk that could get written off at any point without loss.

BTW, where are his flashbacks from his time as POW? Gone before anything good came out of them. But in Homeland there are A LOT of this kind of roads that lead absolutely nowhere but end in disappointment.

But in the end what I particularly dislike is the missed opportunity. You have a very good concept, you have a very solid cast and then you hire what seems to be a crack writing team of fifth graders to fumble around and imagine plots and twists. A job well done sirs, cookies for everyone!

Great when I first started watching it, but looking back it makes little sense

Author: Peter Harris from Massachusetts, USA
17 July 2013

I watched the first season in 2 days and really liked it (not loved it, but it was good). I still have not gotten back to it and watched season 2, though. But though I enjoyed watching it, when I think about it, this show is pretty bad. The plot is all over the place, Carrie is a bitch, first Brody seems like he might be a terrorist, then maybe not, then yeah, he's probably a terrorist, then Carrie f#cks him (seriously, what the HELL?) then he seems like a cool guy and then he's not. It really seems like the writers have zero idea where they are going with this.

Still haven't gotten around to the second season since there are so many better shows to watch. I probably will watch it at some point, but I'm in no hurry.

Religious Propaganda

Author: roqash_roqi from Pakistan
18 October 2013

Well i have started watching this series hoping it would be a thrilling story and after watching 1st season i am quite satisfied with the story line of the series but the main propaganda in this series is to degrade Islam and all Muslim countries...

There should be a code of conduct to avoid targeting a specific religion or country in any film or series...

So in my opinion this series is solely based on targeting and degrading the Islamic religion which is inhumane behavior and quite shameful...

The terrorists have no religion or faith as to kill someone is to kill all humanity...

It's neither intelligent nor well-written

Author: bbbl67 from Ottawa, Canada
13 June 2012

I know when we watch a work of fiction, that we have to suspend our disbelief, but they are just asking way too much of it here from us. There are so many plot holes in this thing. I have watched the first 6 episodes of 12 so far, and I don't think it's going to get much better. The CIA agents must be buffoons here, making such basic mistakes that would've gotten a mall security guard fired.

I watched the story mainly to see Maurena Baccarin, and Damian Lewis. Claire Danes is of secondary interest to me. I've been a fan of Damian Lewis since his series, Life. I've been a fan of Maurena Baccarin, since her days on Firefly & SG-1 (not so much on V, however).

I do enjoy the acting, just don't like the writing.

Feedback

Author: mghn1978
15 July 2014

I was one of the fans of this serial, however in recent episodes, my country, Iran had been shown in a very different way, which I am not happy with. My beautiful city, Tehran, had been shown like Arabian cities, it had been shown that in Tehran, people are wearing frightening Hijab and they are attacking others which is %100 wrong. we are civilized people and have powerful culture, there may be some political problems between my country and others, however it does not mean that we lost our humanity. Tehran is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and people are not at all like the one in the last episodes of Homeland.I highly have request from producers to show the reality about each place they are producing film about, in this case people who are watching these movies, will have a clear idea about other countries and their culture and habits. Thank You

Its horrible

Author: (octahexx) from Sweden
8 October 2013

Have you ever been to a super-mall and run into a kid screaming and kicking pouting its lip with tears and snot flying everywhere to get what it wants?

Imagine that kid growing up unaltered and you have the main character Carrie.

The plot is linear and flat. The characters are cardboard 2d flat. The environment is uninteresting.

The good guys is Americas homeland security that consist of cellphones 2 random guys in swat gear and some backdrop characters who never gets to do anything other then make Carrie cry make her underlip shiver and push snot out with the tears flying.

They are all bumbling idiots unable to tie their own shoe laces. The biggest most advanced monitoring and security machine ever made in the human history is ignored.

There is no monitoring software,no satellites no helicopters no nothing. Just a handful of idiots with cellphones. Im actually surprised they didn't use steam engine trains or bicycles but was allowed to use cars!

The opposing side that comes from countries filled with sand and don't have running water or schools or hospitals or basically anything but sand and goat herders and poverty on the other hand can execute flawless plans under the nose of the biggest most well-funded paranoid military complex in the world.

The actors are not bad its not their fault,its how the show is written.

I have never ever hated a character from a TV show so much as Carrie.

If you can tie your own shoelaces and count to potato i honestly think this show is beneath you and would recommend The bridge instead that at least tries to develop characters and some kind of a plot.

Crisp and Engrossing

Author: tickin from Canada
8 October 2011

I've only seen the pilot but it was exceptional viewing. Not for children though.

If they continue to allow the writers and actors to flex their muscles this show will shine. There is a professional quality to Homeland that I haven't seen in a long time. The direction was subtle but commanding, the actors were ace, and the writing was poignant without once hinting at the maudlin.

Hopefully the studio won't cut the creative/professional legs off this one just as it starts running.

Very engrossing stuff.

Over-hyped and overstretched

Author: Eye-dle from London, England
28 September 2012

Note: This is a very personal review based on a week-long viewing of whole series 1 of "Homeland".

As depicted in the series, the CIA is incapable of making correct (logical) deductions from the information they collect. Politicians see war as campaign tactics. Soldiers are either killing machines or gormless pawns. Depending on your dominant hemisphere, "Homeland" is either the most vivid and topical description of America at war or the least captivating series about the American war machine ever made.

The characters are all against fiction. By that I mean, they all lack the probable yarn that makes the audience want to spend 44 minutes with them. I won't even mention the caricature of Middle Easterners who are either sex-addict oil-princes or omnipotent brainwashing terrorists! This is of course if you view the story of a POW Marine turned terrorist as a poor depiction of American war (paranoid) machine.

However, if you view this as a study of America at war (with all its implications), then the characters are not only credible: they are flesh-and-bone bores just like you and I. The CIA's inefficiency in the show becomes a plausible reflection of the the intelligence services' shortcomings. The politicians are no longer ambitious liars but mirrors of all candidates to a public office. The series asks the audience to choose between those two conflicting views.

And I, for one, think that is the real raison d'etre of this over-hyped show. Hence the low score. It's not a series, it's a conceptual juggle.

Don't believe the hype

Author: Steve Mitchell from United Kingdom
28 April 2012

I don't really know what all the fuss was about. I found the whole thing predictable and formulaic. Each episode was stretched out and meandered along so much that I never felt any tension whatsoever and the ending was, quite frankly, a major disappointment. Six hours could easily have been taken out without any damage to the plot or storyline and it would have been better served as a 4 part self-contained drama; you know, the kind of thing the BBC do really well. It was like a cross between "The Manchurian Candidate" and "The Day of the Jackal", but not as good as either. It's a shame because I like all three of the main actors. Claire Danes' bi-polar character was just another gimmicky cop/FBI agent/CIA agent/Detective that you've seen a thousand times before. I took a break from "Breaking Bad" (wich is anything but predictable and formulaic)to watch this and wish I hadn't wasted my time on it. I don't think I'll bother with the second series.

Claire Danes character needs to be improved

Author: randularulze from auckland
3 July 2014

Claire Danes character is just stupid cry baby who, she doesn't have any characteristic of a CIA operative. she needs to look more realistic. CIA doesn't go and beg for information they manipulate them or threat them they don't offer to suck they're dicks for god sake. make it more like the mentalist or like the blacklist because you got a awesome plot going on with a screwed up bitch for the main character. please try and make Claire Danes character more interesting. because showtime never fails don't make this your biggest blunder.Claire Danes character is just stupid cry baby who, she doesn't have any characteristic of a CIA operative. she needs to look more realistic. CIA doesn't go and beg for information they manipulate them or threat them they don't offer to suck they're dicks for god sake. make it more like the mentalist or like the blacklist because you got a awesome plot going on with a screwed up bitch for the main character. please try and make Claire Danes character more interesting. because showtime never fails don't make this your biggest blunder.