IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Worst series ever.

Author: grm009 from United States
27 December 2014

The first season left me looking forward to the second. By the end of the second, the plot has become so preposterous and so idiotic, I'm sorry I wasted my time watching any of it. The plot meanders here and there, people get killed, accidents happen, here and there, and to what end? The answer is to keep the show going mindlessly for another season or two. I'm finished. Every American character is a government employee, except for wives and children. Every Muslim is a terrorist. The worst part of the series is the fact that whoever wrote the script obviously had no idea where he was going to go at the start. This has to be (I hope) the nadir of Claire Danes' acting career where she repeats the same horrible affectations-mouth quivering between grimace and grin, and an idiotic wide-eyed look where her corneas become dots in the middle of the whites of her eyes. I'll chalk that up to incompetent directing. The main characters- Carrie and Brody- are deeply despicable, amoral characters who have the same predictable conversations feeding each others' delusions over and over again. The worst part of it is that the producers of this pretentious garbage seem to expect that the viewers have forgotten all about their deeds and have somehow transformed them into sympathetic characters. There isn't a moment of irony, or self-reflection in the entire series. I do think I see a look in Mandy Patinkin's face where he's thinking "This turkey's even worse than Criminal Minds." Go and watch The Assets and see how it's done when it's done really well.

A good political thriller filled with action and suspense..

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
17 October 2014

Homeland is now in its 4th season. The first 3 was all about a young female CIA operations officer, with lots of personal issues, trying to prove that a rescued, longtime captured, hero U.S. soldier is a traitor, and the aftermath of that pursue.

Lots of tension, double-crossings, lies, manipulations and unexpected events happened in these 3 seasons. The realistic depiction of the shady world of CIA and global terrorism made this series to conquer almost universal acclaim.

The end of this cycle is absolute and concluded with the finale of the 3rd season.

In the 4th season the scenery changes but as far as I watched the same high values of the show still standing.

Overall: Recommended.

Its horrible

Author: (octahexx) from Sweden
8 October 2013

Have you ever been to a super-mall and run into a kid screaming and kicking pouting its lip with tears and snot flying everywhere to get what it wants?

Imagine that kid growing up unaltered and you have the main character Carrie.

The plot is linear and flat. The characters are cardboard 2d flat. The environment is uninteresting.

The good guys is Americas homeland security that consist of cellphones 2 random guys in swat gear and some backdrop characters who never gets to do anything other then make Carrie cry make her underlip shiver and push snot out with the tears flying.

They are all bumbling idiots unable to tie their own shoe laces. The biggest most advanced monitoring and security machine ever made in the human history is ignored.

There is no monitoring software,no satellites no helicopters no nothing. Just a handful of idiots with cellphones. Im actually surprised they didn't use steam engine trains or bicycles but was allowed to use cars!

The opposing side that comes from countries filled with sand and don't have running water or schools or hospitals or basically anything but sand and goat herders and poverty on the other hand can execute flawless plans under the nose of the biggest most well-funded paranoid military complex in the world.

The actors are not bad its not their fault,its how the show is written.

I have never ever hated a character from a TV show so much as Carrie.

If you can tie your own shoelaces and count to potato i honestly think this show is beneath you and would recommend The bridge instead that at least tries to develop characters and some kind of a plot.

Homeland. H for Horrible.

Author: adriaan_ten_bosch from Netherlands
13 January 2015

What a piece of Cr*p this first season. All fake and not one single moment makes you happy. Not once you get the feeling the CIA is actually on to something or making a difference. The series makes you follow Carrie Mathison, the main character. The series is constructed so you identify with her and you want her to succeed. This happens NOT ONCE. throughout the episodes, Carrie gets very close to solving the problems but nobody in the CIA believes her. This is idiotic. its the CIA's f####g job to investigate the things Carrie comes up with but still everybody thinks she's crazy. and NO, its wont get better and NO, things won't solve itself in the last episode. In the end, everything becomes even more fake and the season leaves you empty-handed and unsatisfied. 12hrs of my life wasted on this B*LLCR*P.

Religious Propaganda

Author: roqash_roqi from Pakistan
18 October 2013

Well i have started watching this series hoping it would be a thrilling story and after watching 1st season i am quite satisfied with the story line of the series but the main propaganda in this series is to degrade Islam and all Muslim countries...

There should be a code of conduct to avoid targeting a specific religion or country in any film or series...

So in my opinion this series is solely based on targeting and degrading the Islamic religion which is inhumane behavior and quite shameful...

The terrorists have no religion or faith as to kill someone is to kill all humanity...

Stupid

Author: daimon-193-511685
22 December 2014

Its been said in other reviews in more detail, but I just saw the last episode of season four and I just had to throw my 2 cents in (what the episode was worth): my God this show has become stupid. Its taken me a couple of seasons of yelling at the TV, but finally, I'm done. Hey, maybe I'm the stupid one for watching this long. OMG, when Carrie's mother told her that the guy at her house was her brother, I half expected a dramatic pause and some soap opera music to play. Truth be told, the whole season was replete with unbelievable scenarios. The head of the CIA and the former head of said organization together in Islamabad at the same time with the craziest most unbalanced station Chief possible. Really! I forgave all the plot holes initially because it was an interesting premise and had a good start; but four seasons of these holes. I will not watch next season. I just don't think I can watch Carrie's chin quiver on the verge of tears four times an episode again.

Senseless plot full of subtle racial profiles

Author: Joe Khoury from Texas
5 October 2012

You watch the show and learn nothing at all. In fact, it is a mediocre series disguised as good TV but filled with subtle racial profiles that feed into false generalizations. It is nowhere close to winner series like Mad Men. It's actually surprising that the whole premise of the show was given thumbs up in view of the vain message behind it. But again, who says the masses crave less superficial plots. In my opinion, Homeland is barely a notch above the senseless production that caused riots around the world a few weeks ago. One is just more subtle than the other, but the subliminal messages behind both of them are similar. They're meant to sow misunderstanding and establish certain stereotypes. One hopes the public is smarter than that.

Over-hyped and overstretched

Author: Eye-dle from London, England
28 September 2012

Note: This is a very personal review based on a week-long viewing of whole series 1 of "Homeland".

As depicted in the series, the CIA is incapable of making correct (logical) deductions from the information they collect. Politicians see war as campaign tactics. Soldiers are either killing machines or gormless pawns. Depending on your dominant hemisphere, "Homeland" is either the most vivid and topical description of America at war or the least captivating series about the American war machine ever made.

The characters are all against fiction. By that I mean, they all lack the probable yarn that makes the audience want to spend 44 minutes with them. I won't even mention the caricature of Middle Easterners who are either sex-addict oil-princes or omnipotent brainwashing terrorists! This is of course if you view the story of a POW Marine turned terrorist as a poor depiction of American war (paranoid) machine.

However, if you view this as a study of America at war (with all its implications), then the characters are not only credible: they are flesh-and-bone bores just like you and I. The CIA's inefficiency in the show becomes a plausible reflection of the the intelligence services' shortcomings. The politicians are no longer ambitious liars but mirrors of all candidates to a public office. The series asks the audience to choose between those two conflicting views.

And I, for one, think that is the real raison d'etre of this over-hyped show. Hence the low score. It's not a series, it's a conceptual juggle.

Don't believe the hype

Author: Steve Mitchell from United Kingdom
28 April 2012

I don't really know what all the fuss was about. I found the whole thing predictable and formulaic. Each episode was stretched out and meandered along so much that I never felt any tension whatsoever and the ending was, quite frankly, a major disappointment. Six hours could easily have been taken out without any damage to the plot or storyline and it would have been better served as a 4 part self-contained drama; you know, the kind of thing the BBC do really well. It was like a cross between "The Manchurian Candidate" and "The Day of the Jackal", but not as good as either. It's a shame because I like all three of the main actors. Claire Danes' bi-polar character was just another gimmicky cop/FBI agent/CIA agent/Detective that you've seen a thousand times before. I took a break from "Breaking Bad" (wich is anything but predictable and formulaic)to watch this and wish I hadn't wasted my time on it. I don't think I'll bother with the second series.

Starts of good, then crashes and burns

Author: inc-133-70013
14 December 2014

Reviews say that Carrie is unlikeable as a lead. I watched first two seasons and didn't understand why, I liked her very much. Vigilante intelligence operative isn't unlikeable thing, we all love Jack Bauer...

But when you get to season 3, you suddenly realize that her "I just saw jar full of spiders eating each other" - type of facial expression is basically all that she does, aside from whining and screaming. And it really gets abrasive. But it's all that happens in this show. Actual action and plot twisting is so scarcely peppered in, that it doesn't really redeem all the yelling and crying. And boy is this show depressive.

Makes you wonder why characters don't choose a different line of work.

Introduction of character named Peter Quinn was last hope of actually cool and able character to cheer for, but by Season 4, he joins the whine train and spends all the time doing nothing but being sad.

It would probably work if characters were believable. But they're actually strangely distant. By season 4, it's still unclear if Carrie and Saul are friends or just colleagues. Tiny shows of emotion here and there are ruined in next 10 minutes. Brody family drama started off strong and then just... faded into half-executed ideas. Carrie's and Brody's "love"-theme is too weird to even digest. It's supposed to be secret love between public enemies, but any other book or movie on this topic is thousand times better.

So, Homeland. A show that wants to be a drama and action/espionage show, but ends up being neither. Just tons of people being disgruntled and sad.