IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A good political thriller filled with action and suspense..

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
17 October 2014

Homeland is now in its 4th season. The first 3 was all about a young female CIA operations officer, with lots of personal issues, trying to prove that a rescued, longtime captured, hero U.S. soldier is a traitor, and the aftermath of that pursue.

Lots of tension, double-crossings, lies, manipulations and unexpected events happened in these 3 seasons. The realistic depiction of the shady world of CIA and global terrorism made this series to conquer almost universal acclaim.

The end of this cycle is absolute and concluded with the finale of the 3rd season.

In the 4th season the scenery changes but as far as I watched the same high values of the show still standing.

Overall: Recommended.

Worst series ever.

Author: grm009 from United States
27 December 2014

The first season left me looking forward to the second. By the end of the second, the plot has become so preposterous and so idiotic, I'm sorry I wasted my time watching any of it. The plot meanders here and there, people get killed, accidents happen, here and there, and to what end? The answer is to keep the show going mindlessly for another season or two. I'm finished. Every American character is a government employee, except for wives and children. Every Muslim is a terrorist. The worst part of the series is the fact that whoever wrote the script obviously had no idea where he was going to go at the start. This has to be (I hope) the nadir of Claire Danes' acting career where she repeats the same horrible affectations-mouth quivering between grimace and grin, and an idiotic wide-eyed look where her corneas become dots in the middle of the whites of her eyes. I'll chalk that up to incompetent directing. The main characters- Carrie and Brody- are deeply despicable, amoral characters who have the same predictable conversations feeding each others' delusions over and over again. The worst part of it is that the producers of this pretentious garbage seem to expect that the viewers have forgotten all about their deeds and have somehow transformed them into sympathetic characters. There isn't a moment of irony, or self-reflection in the entire series. I do think I see a look in Mandy Patinkin's face where he's thinking "This turkey's even worse than Criminal Minds." Go and watch The Assets and see how it's done when it's done really well.

Religious Propaganda

Author: roqash_roqi from Pakistan
18 October 2013

Well i have started watching this series hoping it would be a thrilling story and after watching 1st season i am quite satisfied with the story line of the series but the main propaganda in this series is to degrade Islam and all Muslim countries...

There should be a code of conduct to avoid targeting a specific religion or country in any film or series...

So in my opinion this series is solely based on targeting and degrading the Islamic religion which is inhumane behavior and quite shameful...

The terrorists have no religion or faith as to kill someone is to kill all humanity...

Worst show I have ever seen.

Author: Ballzdeeper from United States
23 August 2013

Complete garbage...

Completely unrealistic. (do all of our soldiers turn into terrorists over collateral damage? Don't think so.) would the CIA hire a psycho and not know it? Definitely not. Their background checks are quite thorough.

Terrible plot holes. "i know Brody did it... I counted his ammo" but the writers are too dumb to remember that we have already seen him use more than the ammo they show missing.

If that wasn't enough, Claire Danes wriggling chin, big fat lips contorting into disgusting faces and her maniacal screaming episode after episode make this show completely unwatchable.

The industry is clearly a joke, because the only award this show should win is a cancellation.

Brilliant work! Catchy and deep. Can't wait to see more.

Author: Marek P from United States
17 September 2011

The cast looks like it connects very well. Story as of episode 1 is very interesting, dark, and open to many different ways to keep it going. There is one main story throughout the episode, but with many side stories that seem to start of a little slowly. It gets you wondering and trying to connect the dots every minute of the show. It's like the TV series "Life", but without the funny part and in with good drama. To be more specific it reminds me a little bit of Bourne Trilogy but twisted a little bit. Much recommended to anyone between 18-30 years of age or anyone who likes to watch media about CIA work. Not a lot of action just yet, but it is cooking up to be a good one.

Ridiculous!!! Producers should apologies to Lebanese people!

Author: chadys from Beirut
17 October 2012

I watched the first season of Homeland and I absolutely loved it. Couldn't wait to start the second season, but unfortunately, it started in Beirut! The scenes that the producers are projecting about Beirut is absolutely ridiculous!! It's far from the truth and makes me sick to even see our beloved capital portrayed in this disgusting manner ! It was misrepresentation at its most outrageous!!!

"The cars were those ancient and ropy Mercedes from central casting, but the reality is that there are probably more Porsche Cayennes per capita in Beirut than there are in Stuttgart.

Beirut airport looked like it was teleported to El Salvador, while the CIA's Carrie Mathison, played by Claire Danes, felt compelled to wear a hijab.

Yes, all the clichés were rolled out to ensure that Lebanon was portrayed as a hostile, western-hating and conservative Arab country. Why? Because that was the vibe the show's producers wanted."

The producers of the show should issue an official apology to Lebanon and its people for tarnishing the image of our capital! !

Hamra street is one of the main bloodlines of Beirut, full of restaurants, pubs and nightclubs, probably more than times square or union square. Terrorists don't run around shooting people and meeting hezbollah in the middle of Hamra street, portrayed as one small alley with very old peugeot cars parkes sideways. it's a shame producers don't spend a little more time researching a place before tarnishing the image of a country, just like that...

Its horrible

Author: (octahexx) from Sweden
8 October 2013

Have you ever been to a super-mall and run into a kid screaming and kicking pouting its lip with tears and snot flying everywhere to get what it wants?

Imagine that kid growing up unaltered and you have the main character Carrie.

The plot is linear and flat. The characters are cardboard 2d flat. The environment is uninteresting.

The good guys is Americas homeland security that consist of cellphones 2 random guys in swat gear and some backdrop characters who never gets to do anything other then make Carrie cry make her underlip shiver and push snot out with the tears flying.

They are all bumbling idiots unable to tie their own shoe laces. The biggest most advanced monitoring and security machine ever made in the human history is ignored.

There is no monitoring software,no satellites no helicopters no nothing. Just a handful of idiots with cellphones. Im actually surprised they didn't use steam engine trains or bicycles but was allowed to use cars!

The opposing side that comes from countries filled with sand and don't have running water or schools or hospitals or basically anything but sand and goat herders and poverty on the other hand can execute flawless plans under the nose of the biggest most well-funded paranoid military complex in the world.

The actors are not bad its not their fault,its how the show is written.

I have never ever hated a character from a TV show so much as Carrie.

If you can tie your own shoelaces and count to potato i honestly think this show is beneath you and would recommend The bridge instead that at least tries to develop characters and some kind of a plot.

Stupid

Author: daimon-193-511685
22 December 2014

Its been said in other reviews in more detail, but I just saw the last episode of season four and I just had to throw my 2 cents in (what the episode was worth): my God this show has become stupid. Its taken me a couple of seasons of yelling at the TV, but finally, I'm done. Hey, maybe I'm the stupid one for watching this long. OMG, when Carrie's mother told her that the guy at her house was her brother, I half expected a dramatic pause and some soap opera music to play. Truth be told, the whole season was replete with unbelievable scenarios. The head of the CIA and the former head of said organization together in Islamabad at the same time with the craziest most unbalanced station Chief possible. Really! I forgave all the plot holes initially because it was an interesting premise and had a good start; but four seasons of these holes. I will not watch next season. I just don't think I can watch Carrie's chin quiver on the verge of tears four times an episode again.

Don't believe the hype

Author: Steve Mitchell from United Kingdom
28 April 2012

I don't really know what all the fuss was about. I found the whole thing predictable and formulaic. Each episode was stretched out and meandered along so much that I never felt any tension whatsoever and the ending was, quite frankly, a major disappointment. Six hours could easily have been taken out without any damage to the plot or storyline and it would have been better served as a 4 part self-contained drama; you know, the kind of thing the BBC do really well. It was like a cross between "The Manchurian Candidate" and "The Day of the Jackal", but not as good as either. It's a shame because I like all three of the main actors. Claire Danes' bi-polar character was just another gimmicky cop/FBI agent/CIA agent/Detective that you've seen a thousand times before. I took a break from "Breaking Bad" (wich is anything but predictable and formulaic)to watch this and wish I hadn't wasted my time on it. I don't think I'll bother with the second series.

Great show. Season 4 has some factual drawbacks

Author: Imtiaz P from Pakistan
23 March 2015

Season 4 of Homeland lives up to the riveting suspense it started with in the first season. The theme of prisoners of war developing affinity and empathy with their captors/enemy (Stockholm syndrome?) is cleverly reinvented in a new war zone; from Israel/Arab conflict to Taliban versus the West/CIA. This is where the otherwise impressive show is marred by details.

The locations, particularly Islamabad/Pakistan; most of the cast playing Afghan and Pakistani roles; local languages their accents and translations; appearances, costumes and uniforms; streets and signboards; and other depictions of the local culture leave a wide credibility gap and unwelcome distractions.

For example, a condolence from English to Urdu is translated as 'I apologize instead of: I am sorry.' Similar errors are many where the diction and syntax are alien to the region the characters are supposed to represent.

Another misrepresentation of cultural norms is a long embrace between a man and woman on the roof of a house in daylight and full view of the neighborhood. Haqqani's, a Taliban leader, return home and touching his wife in front of a crowd is another taboo which seeped through.

Except for few, most of the names given to characters are neither Pakistani nor Afghan. Islamabad street scenes, vehicles on the road and the surrounding landscape do not represent the original locale.

Not that I am going to stop watching rest of the show, but I do wish more attention was given to the above mentioned aspects of production.

Page 2 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]