IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 24: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Most Pathetic Season by ShowTime

Author: topgun634 from US
11 February 2015

Season 4 was the most pathetic. the writer and director should at least think what fabricated tales they have been forecasting. It has hurt the sentiments of local populace in Pakistan. The series should be immediately banned. Season 4 was the most pathetic. the writer and director should at least think what fabricated tales they have been forecasting. It has hurt the sentiments of local populace in Pakistan. The series should be immediately banned. Season 4 was the most pathetic. the writer and director should at least think what fabricated tales they have been forecasting. It has hurt the sentiments of local populace in Pakistan. The series should be immediately banned.

Great First Series, but then........

Author: madhatter1954 from United Kingdom
16 February 2014

We followed this avidly on TV from the start of the first Series, and recorded two episodes at a time because one episode wasn't enough. Couldn't praise it enough and the cliffhanger last episode left us gagging for the second Series. Enjoyed this series too to start with, but as it neared the end it was getting pretty watered down (and unbelievable). By the time the second Series ended and yet another cliffhanger (albeit not too finger breaking), we thought 'can we bothered with any more?'. Series 3 started and by then it had completely lost it's oomph! We never bothered getting through that series or any subsequent ones. Would have been MUCH better if the producers had stopped trying to wring money out of us and brought it to a climactic and satisfying end.

storyline

Author: dyonysos52 from Belgium
13 February 2013

first of all i'd like to mention that i like the show a lot,here in Belgium we just finished season one and i can't wait to see the other two seasons it stroke me however that some parts seem pretty unbelievable,captain mike's character for instance stroke me as highly improbable,he seems to have had a relationship with Jessica for the last two years,until here no problem but when brody returned home his continuing presence at the brody house seems unbelievable,it is repeatedly mentioned (daughter) that everybody knew about the relationship but didn't react because brody was supposed to be death but from the moment on that brody returned home the military would probably transfer him to the Philippines or Alaska,an officer with a subalterns wife??i don't think so the scene where brody (a Sargent) beats up mike ( a captain),both marines,in front of other marines and guests is close to impossible without some serious consequences !!

Homages in Homeland

Author: kkollwitz from Greenville SC
21 December 2012

My Fabulous Wife and I like to watch an episode of something each night on Roku or Netflix. Lately we've been watching Season 1 of Homeland, and I've noticed some homages to a few of my favorite movies.

The first homage I recognized is based on this line from 1974's Chinatown: "When Mulvihill here was sheriff of Ventura County, the rum runners landed hundreds of tons of booze on the beach and never lost a drop. He oughta be able to hold on to your water for you." (Jake Gittes) In one of the first couple of episodes of Homeland, Carrie (IIRC) makes a similar snide remark about a cop she thinks is corrupt, or at best, incompetent. She paraphrases the Chinatown line into a reference to illegal drugs.

Next is from 1972's The Godfather: "Hey, listen, I want somebody good - and I mean very good - to plant that gun. I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hands, alright?" (Sonny Corleone). In Homeland, Carrie and an FBI agent are arguing about a SWAT team fiasco. One of them uses the same vulgar imagery as Sonny to describe the hapless shooters.

In Episode 9, "Crossfire," a scene opens with a sniper in the woods. I pause the show, and tell Janet, "This is going to be an homage to Day of the Jackal (1973). He's going to set up a target on a tree, then zero in his scope. He'll take two shots, adjusting his scope after each one; then take a third shot which will hit the bull's eye." I press Play, and- he does just as I expected.

Later on the sniper fires another shot, this time with his rifle held steady by resting the barrel on a knife he has stuck into a tree. This is yet another Jackal homage, when the assassin steadies his rifle by tying the barrel against a tree.

Always fun to see that movie makers and I like the same movies.

one of the best action thrillers! don't listen to haters

Author: parham-shidi
25 November 2014

i'm only writing this because there were some negative reviews which were not fair and very stupid! first of all some people come and talk about locations and other things not being accurate in reply please pay attention to this point that in the last two seasons (1.Iran , 2.pakistan ) the first won't let Americans to make a movie in and the second is totally unsafe to do so! so they had to film it somewhere else.and it's almost impossible to make an other country the same as the original one, but they did a good job making a similar one.only Iranians and Pakistanis would know the difference. then somebody said why they don't have good accents and in the 4 season people were using Indian version of urdu , what do you expect? most of the actors and actresses are Indian( since pakistanis won't play in a show that shows the bad face of their country) and in the Iran season most of them were iranian national except for 1 or two which they had to use foreigners since obviously they couldn't have found more iranian actors.

in case of carrie being annoying ,i agree , her face and almost crying in every scene is bugging me as well. in CIA or any other intelligent agency, it's impossible to find the similar character.these people are like machines,they are trained this way to be able to operate in very complicated situations.i'm sure they don't cry when they talk. beside this small issue ,the plot is magnificent! i hope it will be a 10 season show. watch it!!!

Great story told by the wrong people...

Author: footballfanno268869 from Sydney, Australia
3 March 2014

This show had all the makings of an instant classic but somewhere between season 1 and season 2 the writers must have started smoking crack and the story totally makes no sense after that.

If the storyline was taken in another direction it would have been a great show. It's hard to watch at times with too many boring side stories, and it takes too long to build up to a major event that then doesn't happen and the story then heads in another direction.

I kept watching hoping that the storyline improve because the acting is there, the characters are likable, and the premise is outstanding, but the writing and storyline fail this show.

There is also no attention to detail and has some unrealistic scenarios but it's biggest failing is the storyline that leaves you scratching your head.

The show needs more emphasis on catching the terrorist and the work of the CIA and less emphasis on boring side stories.

Lewis, Danes and Patinkin deserve recognition for their acting.

Author: Jack Donaghy from New York
24 November 2013

At first, I was utterly repulsed by the over-Americanized, patriotic and self-righteous plot of the show and given my low tolerance for these kinds of "we are the good guys" gimmicks, I would have stopped watching immediately. However, I was unable to stop watching which ultimately meant that it was worth watching. While the show most assuredly carries typical patriotic undertones it also exposes the vulnerability of each character's convictions. Claire Danes does an outstanding job playing her role as a mentally unstable women with self-damaging convictions ( and lets be honest, a total nut job). It is difficult not to notice the overt stereotyping, whether it be the all American secret spy fighting for justice or the radical illogical terrorist fighting for vengeance. The writing does take effort in order to create a depth into its characters but undermines obvious parallels drawn between what is shown as good and bad, or ethical and unethical. It also takes far to many liberties with hard justice. In simple terms, the show overly idealized the natural disposition of individuals (primarily the protagonists) to save the world-- far too altruistic. This tends to result in far to many cliché scenes with "black-sheep" agents refusing to abide the book. There are also far far too many emotionally saturated scenes, making some part unbearable to watch simply because of the overly-meaningful looks and tears. The acting for the most part is exceptional. As the show progresses there is definite movement towards the unexpected thriller scenes and less predictable drama.

Fine Cast

Author: yalemangeller2222 from United States
2 August 2013

(spoiler) This is an amazing cast. Claire does well. All the acting is good. I enjoy this show. I was hesitant at first because I don't have time to watch many shows; however, this one was worth the time. I am happy that I was persuaded to watch. I found one aspect a bit upsetting; however, it does not detract from the entertainment and the relaxation one derives from watching this show. Blair Danes does a good job as does the rest of the cast. She is surrounded by fine actors. The edit is good. The music is fast forward and appealing. All in all most of my friends and I like this show. There are a few who could do without it. I think it is entertaining.

Exploding Muslim myths, not Promoting them

Author: Jess Grant from United States
22 April 2013

My wife and I love this show. One of its best features is its moral ambiguity, such as when Abu Nazir (the Bad Guy) mutters about the madrassa drone bombing that killed his son, "and they call us terrorists." Brody's anger at VP Walden for lying about the bombing, and his condemnation of him as a "war criminal," is a healthy antidote to the jingoistic pap we're fed every day in the news. Brody's motive to avenge Isa's murder offers patriotic Americans some much-needed perspective on political "blowback" against the U.S.

Other examples of this subversive aspect include: Dana correcting her classmate on the difference between Arabs and Persians; Brody's silent fury at Jess for desecrating his copy of the Koran; Carrie's request that the FBI agent remove his shoes in the mosque; and the fact that, of Aileen and Fareek, it's the blonde American who's driving the terrorism, not the brown-skinned Arab. All these scenes weigh against the usual demonization of Islam in this country.

Well-written and wonderfully cast, we are totally hooked.

Great show

Author: The_deer_hunter_rdn from Italy
18 April 2013

I thought season 1 was enjoyable, nothing special, it just seemed a bad copy of 24. But season 2 ... WOW ! It's just great. The plot is great, the twists make the series breathtaking, and even the love story between Carry and Brody make sense and is well built( I usually don't like love stories in this kind of series ). I also love how the series shows us indirectly how things work on the upper floors of the government, where we realize that we are aware of like only 5 % of what happenes in our government. The acting by Damian Lewis was fantastic, i thought he was great and I can't wait for season 3 to air, hoping it is as good as this one.