IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 28: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Not very real

Author: najax9829 from United States
27 November 2014

Claire Dane's character is sooooooooooo unreal. No CIA agent will allow herself to be car laid with someone they suspect. No CIA agent would still be employed with such disregard for authority and disrespect she shows her superiors. Only Mandy Patinkin is a real actor in this series. I watched season 1 this past week to get familiar with the show and after the fifth episode I realized I lost5 hours of my life I can never get back. The wife calls her husband by his last name and the daughter I just wanted to slap. There are too many holes in the story, the major on is what is the plot other than the war on terrorism. There is a mole in the agency and no ones seems to address this with any urgency. Why is the vice president so important and no president at all on the scene for anything. As hokey as 24 was, this is not much better. Take it from one that has worked in this field for 20 years, this is not that real.

Good enough to watch but EXTREMELY poorly directed i guess

Author: mohiburrasoolwarraichs from Pakistan
23 July 2015

I have some points that i would like to tell:(keeping in mind that it is a DRAMA, and that it was MY choice to watch it) 1)The series is good , i am watching season 4, but i find MANY flaws (as seen from the eyes of a Muslim,Pakistani n Drama loving person) in the series like,

i)The facts , the delivery of Muslims and there actions is completely wrong, and i am not talking about the terrorism, political agendas, differences or things like that what i am talking about is the FACTS like the method of how Muslims greet, how we pray etc. its all wrong as seen when Brody is praying and as seen in numerous interactions between Muslims and other Muslims And/or Non- Muslims. Come on these are simple things HOW CAN YOU GET them WRONG (Islam Being one of the Largest Religions of the WORLD).... it just shows how badly an extremely well written drama can be directed.

ii)The series shows Tehran and Islamabad, whereas i can guarantee you that it's not filmed in any of the 2 cities(or countries) , BECAUSE , the roads, infrastructure, vehicles,(even taxis) are all wrong people are all posers maybe not even 1 percent real Pakistani or Irani people. AND the LANGUAGE, OMG!! no one speaks Urdu like that NO ONE, the URDU is SO BAD that i wanted to throw up, What would happen if a native English speaker hears someone saying "PAALEEESS, PASS me DA SALT, PAALEESS" ...it is THAT bad...

iii)The director shouldn't be allowed to make such a HUGE mistake again, this is just so bad.The only reason to watch is because of the story, spy stuff, and political tension... but still i would recommend The Blacklist and Person of Interest if you don't want to be disappointed

Should have ended after two seasons

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
6 October 2014

Homeland should have ended after two seasons. It started very well: the military background, intrigue, mind games, double-cross and triple-cross. Plus you had all sorts of personal issues, especially with Carrie.

Season 2 was more of the same, though with more focus on the characters and less new background introduced.

Season 3 was where I started to lose interest. It had some interesting plot developments and twists, but mostly seemed to drift. Even the twists often just seemed to be for twist's sake. Then they killed off the main character...

Got through one hour of Season 4 and gave up. Just seems tired, formulaic and offering nothing new.

Proof that TV producers don't know when to pull the plug and let a good series end with dignity.

After two Episodes Homeland shows promise: Can show use Lewis effectively?

Author: clotblaster from United States
17 October 2011

Damian Lewis is a strong candidate for best male actor in English speaking countries today. If you've not seen him in Life, you are missing not just consistently excellent performances by him, but also a great show that was stupidly cancelled after only two seasons. In Homeland he is playing a totally different character and though it looks easy to some, his character calls for emotionally repressed, possibly anguished man and it's very hard to bury emotions, whether as an act or as real.

I've only seen the first two episodes, but that's all that have come out so far. I think and hope this show will evolve in a dramatically compelling direction and that it doesn't waste the incredible talent of Mr. Lewis. I recommend this show, broadcast on Showtime without commercials and all episodes available as they come out on In Demand, at least from my cable company. I have given 8 because they're are some plausibility problems, but like much in fiction, cinema or book, the viewer/reader must suspend his sense of disbelief and take the reality of the show as it presents itself. I see problems with too much unreality as the show progresses, but the writers and producers seem to set on verisimilitude, not far-out, over-the-top versions of the so-called real world.

How did this show win an Emmy and a Golden Globe???????

Author: jeremyyoung-jay from US
25 September 2012

Honestly this show is the first thing that's compelled me to write a review. I'd like to consider myself a well educated film goer. And after I finished breaking bad, weeds, game of thrones I needed something new to get into. Being that Homeland had just won an Emmy I was like "oh yea i remember seeing previews for that show last year, apparently it's pretty good". And apparently people are just as dumb and poorly educated as I thought.

The first two or three episodes honestly had me intrigued, then the further I delved into the monotonous garbage can that is homeland the more I hated life. Being that this series has been praised by basically everyone, each episode leaves you with the hope that something monumental will happen eventually. But the plot lines are just sooooo slowly formed you never get any sense of suspense or anxiety or anything that makes you tell your friends "If you haven't seen this, rethink your life". The dialogue sucks, and Claire Danes honestly just affirms the point that women should never ever be involved with operational security. She comes off as pathetic and absolutely insane. Probably during the 8th episode I thought to myself "ohhhhh I get it now the entire writing crew is smoking crack and watching re-runs of 24". THe most confusing part of the whole movie was why in the world does Claire Danes Begin to lust after an alleged terrorist? She's like some queen B CIA agent but no wait she also a female and clearly completely irrational and crazy in the grand scheme of things. She's obviously hott and semi-promiscuous and would have little to no problem at all finding a post deployment military man in D.C., It's just non-sensical garbage.

All in all I really can't recommend that anyone watch this series. I felt that it was very poorly executed and has an underlying statement of "just shut up and watch." Honestly it really could have been good too. As another Reviewer said...... it should've have been a movie or at least just a 4 part miniseries. Or maybe half hour episodes instead of a hour each. I gave it 3 out 10 because like I said it was semi- watchable in the first few episodes. But its just soooo anti-climactic towards the end. It gets drawn out in the sense that some of the episodes simply leaves you with the yearning for some kind of gun fight or action in any form. But no, the only plot development we get in having to ponder how the hell did this woman become a CIA agent. Unbearable....................also i really wanted to to see Brody blow himself up and like the 30 other people but they couldn't even deliver that.

Jaw dropping

Author: Piyush Gupta
7 November 2011

I am watching a few new shows this season. I wanted to say this after just one episode but I was waiting to see if Showtime's "Homeland" is just one episode wonder. But after five back to back rocking episodes this is undeniable fact that HOMELAND is the show to watch out for this season. Homeland is developed by Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa, based on the Israeli series Hatufim(Prisoners of War) created by Gideon Raff. The series stars Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison, a CIA operations officer who has come to believe that an American Marine, who was held captive by Al-Qaeda as a prisoner of war, was turned by the enemy and now poses a significant risk to national security.

When this season was starting, Person of Interest was the show I had most hopes from. Why ? Well, firstly it is created by Jonathan Nolan and it featured one of my favorite TV actors Michael Emerson (Lost fame). Also it prompted CBS to move CSI in over 10 years to a new time slot. That is definitely something. This show is also awesome but homeland is on an altogether another level.

As far as Homeland goes, I had hopes but not too much because it had producers from "24". Don't get me wrong, I loved watching 24. Despite that I have to admit the show was quite over the top and had one man saving America over and over again every year. Homeland had a few similarities in terms of one hero (Claire Daines) trying to prove that other guy is wrong etc. etc. but this time they have done that much more subtly. Also she has her own set of problems to deal with and is not the "whitest" person around. The office politics even in a CIA office is done wonderfully. Now if they just let their writers to continue to flex their muscles this show will shine for a long time.

The strength of the show also lies in the superlative acting by the cast. Casting of both Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison and Damien Lewis as Nick Brody is perfect. The character of "Saul", played brilliantly by Mandy Patinkin, plays the figurative father to the hero. Morena Baccarin also plays her part with ease. Other supporting actors are also good. If you are looking to see a gripping thriller with incredible characters, you are at the right place. Enjoy !!

Mesmerizing

Author: larsyxa from Sweden
5 November 2011

To make it short. 30+ something hyper intelligent CIA officer with bipolar disorder (constantly under medication) blaming herself for 9/11, tries to redeem herself by uncovering a returned US marine captive conversion to Muslim terrorist?.

You pretty much get this clear during the first 2 episodes. Nicholas has been "away" for 8:ish years in some middle east country and is heroically rescued.

Clare Danes is a movie star but i think Carrie Mathison is her best character ever. To quote Craig Ferguson (during a sit down with Clare) "Its a very odd show...". Its hard to the describe it. Its straight forward a simple agency vs bad guys series, but its not.

Clare Danes has always been on my girls-I-wanna-meet-list, she just moved up to girls-I-wanna-marry-without-meeting-list (very short list 3 ;). Her performance is just dead on perfect.

P.S "I sense something, something i haven't felt since...." watching House for the first time.

Excellent Pilot, but Series?

Author: danielcheah from Malaysia
30 October 2011

I'm a big fan of a good pilot, that usually lets you picture what a series might turn out to be. I am skeptical as to whether such "terrorist-psycho-thriller" will make it in a TV series (drama). In truth, it is much more difficult to make it in a 2-3 season drama than to spin it as a 2hours movie. There is a tendency for such stories to end up being overly ludicrous. A little bit of controversy excites the audience, but when it is overly done, it becomes difficult for the writer to contain - and end it on a high note. Just ask Lost.

However with that skepticism in tact, I believe the pilot shows a lot of promise of what a good series this can turn out to be. From the pilot: I believe the script is brilliant, the acting is as good as it gets, and the premise of what the series is/will be centered on is top class. This is merely derived from the first episode. I wouldn't want to overrate this series, but it has the potential to be the first best "terrorist-psycho-thriller" series, or a nothing worth talking about.

Fingers crossed, and I for one, truly hope this ends well. Breaking bad is my favorite series of all time, and I for one hope this can come close.

I don't understand the hype

Author: sacredheartband from United Kingdom
26 March 2012

First, let me say that the acting is of an incredibly high degree, but I can't for the life of me understand the other reviews.

I don't find it edgy, overly-compelling or even that well written, there are plot holes everywhere. So much is written that is convenient - I've just not found it anything like I expected (from other reviews here).

I like everything from The West Wing to NCIS, and it could have been something in-between - but it lacks the intelligence of the former, and the entertainment of the latter.

Shame. But as a series it is watchable, even if - like me - it's from a comfy position, and not at the edge of ones seat.....

worst ever ending !!!!!!!!!!

Author: damudum from United States
18 December 2011

total waste of TV time. if you want viewers for next season give us some meat....i hate when producers think if they leave you hanging you will automatically turn in to next season. if your series is good you will want to watch the next. people wont remember you left them "hanging on the edge" too much life happens and too many TV show to tune in too. OK shes crazy OK they don't believe her. seen it before. let me guess they are going to find the black dude, she's going to wake up and eventually remember what she hoped to not forget, she's not going to get her job back but go on to do something "roge copish" but show them all she was right by season 3. but season 2 he is going to inch his way closer and closer to the president episode by episode with a "days of our lives feel" please............. on to the next one..............................................