IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 20: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

this show leaves me breathless

Author: ssto from New York, USA
11 November 2012

i'd hardly give 10 to a movie, let alone a TV show.

'homeland' though, definitely deserves highest marks. there has never been a US TV show that would shake me this much, make me actually think what is happening, what is causing a person to act this way, leave me wondering "is he lying, or is this the truth", "does he really love her" and so on.

'homeland' actually makes me feel for the characters, which is simply astonishing. the story is so unpredictable and so deep that there is probably material for a few more seasons, yet (for Lost's sake) i regretfully hope all ends with season 2.

the cast is wonderful, the only two weak characters for me are brody's son and cia's director, estes. Claire Danes plays her role in a magnificent way that is probably hard to find in theaters, let alone a TV show. Damian Lewis's character is absolutely unpenetratable. mid-season 2 i still cannot tell how he's going to react to this or that and what path will he take, not to mention is he lying, telling the truth, or half-truth. still cannot be sure if he'll turn out a monster or maybe do "right thing" (although we know he believes he IS doing it)

ah....simply enjoying 'homeland' - and actually i never intended to sit and watch it, based on the premise of a POW returning home, but it is a beautiful piece of TV art - altogether the story, acting and production

cannot wait for the next episode, yay :)

24 of the real world

Author: millatm3
18 October 2012

This show is like what 24 could've been had it been based in reality. It also shows that you don't need multiple murders and torturing in every episode to make terrorism/counter-terrorism gripping and suspenseful. Claire Danes plays crazy like a champ, and even though the emotional bits can start to get annoying, she is usually right and that makes you root for her. Damian Lewis does a fabulous guilty-conscience/conflicted veteran type. The CIA should actually recruit Mandy Patinkin to interrogate terrorist. The only stereotypical character is David Estes, the angry black chief who wants all the credit and doesn't want to upset his political connections.

Hero or traitor?

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
7 May 2012

When US Marine Sgt. Nicolas Brody is released after being held prisoner by Al-Qaeda for eight years he is treated like a hero; only one person doesn't believe it. CIA operations officer Carrie Mathison has heard that Al-Qaeda had managed to turn an American prisoner and as Brody is the only one they had who survived she is convinced that far from being a hero Brody is in fact a traitor and a very real threat to the security of the United States. Because she is so convinced she sets up an unauthorised surveillance operation against him but that finds no concrete evidence against him. As the series progresses the evidence appears to suggest he is guilty one moment then innocent the next. When it is learnt that there was another American former Al-Qaeda prisoner at large in the States even Carrie accepts that she was wrong about Brody. The hunt is now on for the second suspect, a marine sniper, before he can strike against his presumed target… the president.

This thriller had me gripped from the first episode and each week I looked forward to seeing what would happen next. Throughout the series I was constantly reassessing my view on Brody's loyalty as new evidence emerged. Claire Danes does a fine job as Carrie Mathison; a bi-polar woman obsessed with finding out the truth even if it means bending a few rules. Damien Lewis is equally good as Brody; a man trying to come to terms with returning to family life after eight years in captivity… who might just be a traitor. Other notable cast members include Morena Baccarin, who plays Brody's wife; David Harewood, who played Carrie's boss and Mandy Patinkin, who played her mentor Saul Berenson. While I found this drama to be excellent it won't be to everybody's taste; if you object to violence, nudity or swearing this is not for you!

The final episode left things open for another season; however should it not materialise the ending still works; just in a more ominous way than one would expect… that said I do hope we get more of this quality drama.

Subversive.

Author: SirBreeze from Croatia
22 April 2012

I can see where this series pisses off Americans and especially those of right-wing political views, or ex-Marines or extremist patriots. The idea of a war hero becoming a sleeper for the other side is deeply unsettling and controversial: coming from a country still feeling the effects of a war ended almost 2 decades ago, I can tell you it's a universal feeling. That's the main point that makes this show subversive. But there's much more.

The CIA agent bordering on rogue, the family drama of faith and faithfulness, cynical politicians and heartless agents – it all makes for great drama and heated discussions from all sides of the political spectrum – because this show is impossible to watch without considering political undertones. And the actors deliver, giving very human performances amid this flurry of potentially controversial topics. My favorite here is definitely Mandy Patinkin, who is very convincing as a man who is in the process of realizing that his work has entirely taken over his life and marriage without him really noticing and is getting to grips with it. I really hope that season two will give us more of this fine actor.

Claire Danes has come a long way and she is surprisingly good in her complex and emotional role. Damian Lewis delivers as well, while Morena Baccarin seems to be struggling with her role, just as her character is struggling with the situation she is in.

The show is excellently written and apart from the military-related inaccuracies, there really are no plot holes some reviewers are quick to point out. Yes, a psychotic CIA agent would be an outrage in real life, but so would veteran terrorists and FBI SWAT killing two praying Muslims. That's what makes drama and art. The final episode was a real cliffhanger that leaves you wanting more and thinking about all the ways the story can go. If you have a problem with the ending or the plot, then this show is not your problem, but some other issues.

I'm giving this show 8/10, just for the hope that they will deliver the great expectations we have for season 2.

Exceptionally good, unpredictable & a joy to watch!

Author: Lidia Sh
5 July 2013

I got absolutely hooked on the show! Having watched a number of series and films, I tend to predict the ending of any thriller, action etc, but when I am wrong or I don't know what to expect - that's when I get particularly hooked on the show/film. Homeland, for sure, made it interesting for me in every single episode and left me hanging for more. Not a lot of shows have such a great suspense through out! I waited anxiously for every episode :)

I also absolutely love the acting of the main characters who replicate raw emotions exceptionally well. Cant wait for season 3 and I hope it stays on the same level!

Convoluted show

Author: Nithin Betegeri from United States
29 December 2012

The first season of this show is above average. The actors are very talented and do justice to the roles assigned. The creators of the show however are weak and frankly lack courage. They pretend to take risks with their characters but rely on sensationalism and emotions to fill up the show.

The second season already looks to be going Alias way. The lead character, Carrey is above the law and almighty. Even though she appears crazy, she knows deep down that laws of the land are for suckers and her intuition and love is what's right. If I speculate, the third season is to prove to the world that Brody is not wrong, then fourth will be about Saul, fifth about Carrey herself. Mike has to die in 5th season of course! Nothing will ever happen to the main characters ever and at the end of every season one of the side characters die, who would have shown up out of nowhere at the beginning of the season.

If you like Alias, Desperate Housewives or any such shows, you might like this as this is far more realistic

Best show on TV

Author: stephenl7797 from United States
3 November 2012

This is the best show on TV. It will keep you on the edge of your seat at the end of every episode and keep you coming back. The first few episodes are a little slow, but it eventually gets to be the most suspenseful show ever created IMO. The writing is perfect and everything you see will later come back. The plot is also probably the most intricate of all shows, though still easily followed. The characters are so realistic and you will go from not understanding them to fully understanding them and watch them develop. I can't believe it has just an 8.6, I'd put it up there with Breaking Bad for sure. Give it a chance!

Best Show on Television At The Moment

Author: eoghanscally
27 October 2012

Every week I anticipate a new episode of Homeland, and every week I'm highly satisfied. With a strong cast, this show never fails to deliver a heart stopping story-line.

With excellent writing and directing, Homeland shows that good T.V is still out there. Every week my heart beats so fast as the show reaches a climax and I am always satisfied with the conclusion, and left in agony for the next episode

I think the strongest point of the show is the acting, Claire Danes portrayal of Carrie Mathison, a CIA agent with a bi-polar disorder, who is the only one who believes the Marine Nicolas Brody is now a terrorist, is the most realistic acting I have ever seen on T.V. She brings something to the role which I think no other actress can, although I think there are too many scenes where we see her crying face, which is annoying.

Also Damian Lewis portrayal of Nicolas Brody a turned U.S Marine, now a terrorist after 8 years in captivity, is outstanding. He shows the real struggle a soldier faces when coming back from 8 years away from people and connecting with his family once more, and trying to hide his alter- ego terrorist.

With a superb cast, directing, and writing, Homeland is the show to watch, yes some parts are unrealistic, but its not a documentary, I only fear that it will soon get too unbelievable, but I have every faith in the writers. So get watching if you want your heart going 100 miles an hour..

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This

Author: Mike Boyd from New York, USA
15 March 2012

Claire Danes' acting is superb. I always thought she was a typical dumb blonde comedy actress, but in this series she is magnificent. The story line is very simple - is he a terrorist or isn't he? And Claire Danes is the one who knows more than most the truth. But even she gets fooled but then realises the truth again.

The series climax is completely spell-binding. And Claire Danes' character asks the daughter to telephone her dad to try to get him to change his mind, and although the daughter doesn't believe for a second he could be a terrorist, she still calls him and it is enough to make him change his mind.

And then the climax - she remembers the dead boy's name and that Brody knew him - he called out his name during the night. She remembers just as she is about to undergo electric shock treatment. Will she remember the link when she wakes up? What a fantastic series! Roll on series 2.

Thriller just like you want to see it, unpredictable and captivating

Author: JohnRayPeterson from Montreal, Canada
20 December 2011

The writing and directing of this TV series is top notch as many user reviews proclaim. The acting performances are most believable. The story feels like it has just leaped from the front pages of the NYTimes, Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune and even better, what you've seen on BBC World News or The Journal(DW-TV) and of course CNN; it's that contemporary in its premise. The writing team was successful in coming up with providing suspense and drama in every episode, all the while building up momentum to a 1½ hour finale that was well worth the wait and which has us yearning for more next season; try combining the pull of the series '24' and 'Breaking Bad'. It was that addictive. If you haven't seen it, don't miss the reruns and rent the DVDs when they are released.

As a fan of Claire Danes, since performances in 'The Rainmaker' and especially 'Temple Grandin', I was eagerly awaiting the series. Her character Carrie, in this 'Homeland' series, required just the talent and skill such role needed and at which she excels; she plays a CIA field operative with uncanny perception, totally dedicated and purpose driven but burdened by bipolar disorder and a director, David Estes played by David Harewood, who stifles her efforts and that of her immediate supervisor and mentor Saul Berenson, played by Mandy Patinkin. Carrie's only support comes from Saul and Virgil, a colleague who is played superbly by David Marciano. If you watched and liked Patinkin in the series 'Criminal Minds', you'll be happy to see him in his role as Saul; I was glad he played that particular character as Carrie's mentor.

The other main character, Brody, played by Damian Lewis, was for me a challenge, because he is one of those actors who (let's face it, we all have likes and dislikes) turns me off; which viewer does not have actors they are a fan of and actors they are NOT. I still watched the series despite that prejudice, based on all the other fine points of Homeland. His role was an important one and so I won't say I enjoyed his part for reasons I just explained, however I must admit that in the final episode he was, it pains me to admit, so convincing and performed so well, I will continue to watch the next season, still hoping for the same experience from the series and his demise (very doubtful unfortunately for me).

I don't wish to spoil the experience by revealing any of the final episode but I'll say this much: There are at least three "Holy Sh*t" scenes, if you get the meaning of that expression. The very last shot (it's with Claire Danes, thankfully) is a guaranteed mother of all cliff-hangers; it bests the most famous one from many years ago, simply referred to as the 'Who shot JR?'.