IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 23: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

More of the same old, same old.

Author: zeroro123
23 September 2012

This show may have superb acting and an interesting cast, but it's just simply not enough for me to want to keep watching. Plot holes, continuity troubles, and predictable storytelling make this show fall face first where it otherwise could have soared. It merely plays off of other "thrilling", "high-energy" shows of times past (such as "24","The Shield", etc.)and expects the audience to not realize they've seen it all before. Originality is not encouraged by the writers of this show, rather, comfortable familiarity. What's worse is they're actually being praised for this by receiving emmys and recognition. Prepare yourselves for the next iteration of the same show next fall, Tuesdays at 6/7 central.

Subtly raciest TV series

Author: asabbagh from United Arab Emirates
18 September 2012

I am shocked that Orbit Showtime Middle East premium TV provider has chosen this TV series, because of how it portrayed 1.3 Billion Muslims and 300 Million Arabs. The reasons for my comments are: - The first episode where the lady is selecting the "Hareem" for the prince:

1. Where is this coming from? the meaning of Hareem is the wives of the man which is limited to 4 wives. This was depicted as prostitute for 2 years contract.

2. Second, the lady asks her of she minds anal sex. Islam forbids anal sex. So it is strange to associate this "religious" Amir with all this nonsense - The officer Brody is a "suspect" and his privacy is violated constantly, because he is became Muslim?

This Series promote discrimination against Muslim and spread wide misconception about Muslims and Arabs. If that is the goal of this Series, I think they are achieving it and I will keep my mouth shut.

Finally!

Author: us_Jordan7 from United States
4 October 2011

Finally a captivating series for my generation. 22 years old and LOVE current events/military. I actually found myself glued to this series just by seeing the trailer. I can't wait for next weeks episode. This is a psychological-thriller to the T. I feel that the series wouldn't be as captivating if it wasn't for Claire Danes' character and the question of her mental stability. The script and characters really provide a great cat and mouse game.

In response to ScapegoatsOfTheEmpire, The Marine Corps does not salute when indoors and are to remove their covers upon entering anything indoors. They are only required to salute a CO if they are under arms. Which he was not. I just wanted to clarify that, to prevent anyone from thinking otherwise.

great TV show...amazing direction and best actors..

Author: MANOJ KUMAR YADAV from India
1 December 2014

In this episode they will just blow you up You will be thinking that everything is going well and good, then suddenly something will happen which will stun you.. Can't wait for the next episode....

For the whole series i ll rate it as 9.2.I watched this series after walking dead and before that i watched breaking bad , i was thinking which series i should then after searching for whole day i downloaded this series.and from the very first episode it was amazing and exciting unlike breaking bad or walking dead and other series who would take 4 or 5 odd episodes to make their plot going or even 1 season.but this series. ...i don't have even words..so do watch this TV series. .

Obama's favorite TV show.

Author: Francisco Lameiras from Portugal
28 November 2014

Yeah,it's true. Homeland is actually US President's favorite show.How can a president give support to a TV show so polemic about his country like Homeland is about United States,you ask. Well i can't tell you the reason why is that but i do understand that Obama's "movieaholic" side talks louder when it comes to this special TV show. Homeland is such an emotive and sensational story about Carrie who is a CIA chief that has her life completely focused on her job and her country.The main action theme? This so common but interesting - ISIS vs US Government. So every episode is full of life with all it's madness, decision and risk that follows this confront putting you on the side of US,like we are used to.Still we can't forget the way that the producers explores all the dark side of this man and women work on the field (CIA people) it might be a bit to deep, making it polemic in one way but quite real in another. I gave it 10 and i'm sure that a lot of people that follows this show think the same as well. It's just brilliant!

Exceptional Television Series

Author: RyanCShowers from United States
4 July 2014

Often lauded as one of the best debut seasons in television history, "Homeland" season 1 contains exceptionally written stand-alone episodes, while forming a juxtapose with its developed leading characters. The first episode of the series is one of my favorite pilots of any television show, an eventful installment that showcases significant moments executed to their full potential. With season 1, it's almost as if the writers, directors, and actors were not aware of genius in their creation, which they branded with pragmatic approach (conversations and character development instead of thunderous action). For example, "The Weekend" benefits from Carrie's murky, twisted feelings for Brody, told in a delicate, quiet manner. Though obviously the nature of the season is serialized, the episodes in season 1 feel complete, as if there are twelve different stories being told, a admirable quality for a beginning television season. Season 1 ends as strongly as it begins with "Marine One," from the throbbing tension of Brody's choice with the vest to the brilliance of the closing images of Carrie's treatments. The central question that Homeland season 1 entangles within its audience (Is Brody a Terrorist?) is aptly investigated, lucidly written and remains the center of the first season's greatness.

Season 1 Grade: A

First welcomed with positive praise, but quickly turned on by Internet backlash, I had my doubts before watching season 2 of "Homeland," as I was so fond of the first season. To my great pleasure, season 2 proved an enormous surprise. The plot was amplified from the first season and felt logical as it followed the first season's groundwork. Season 1 felt like the prologue to season 2's booming fireworks. The immaculate structure is thorough, compact, and concise. One event leads to another, and another, and another. The confidence gained from season 1 is evident in the successful ambitions of season 2. The premiere was respectable and answered most of the questions left unresolved from season 1, but the key moment that hooked me into season 2 was the astonishing Beirut is Back climactic sequence with Carrie being chased through her informant's apartment. Then began the series' finest and most rewarding run of episodes through "Q&A," which floored me with its astounding acting and writing. Though there was a negligible lag after "Q&A," the last half of the season concerning Abu Nazir was thoroughly engrossing and suspenseful. "The Choice" showed the scope of the series and put to rest two terrific seasons of television surrounding Nazir. I cannot compliment season 2 enough. It enthusiastically invested me in the sharply executed story.

Season 2 Grade: A+

Season 3 is vastly inferior to the preceding season and rigorously flawed. The show creators tarnish their pristine reputation by cluttering the first five episodes with sloppy ideas without realizing the season's reputation was going to suffer perpetually. Episodes 2 and 4 fall so far that you wonder if the show is even worth salvaging. The season had its moments where it coerced me into pensive reflections ("The Tower of David" comes to mind as it retraces its roots juxtaposing and comparing the situations of the two leads), but left the brevity of season 1 and powerhouse of season 2 to be desired. It feels like the writers had notions of complexities, but the creativity was not kept under control. As a result they spend episodes 7 through 12 trying to make the best out of the nonsensical and illogical cards they dealt themselves. Thankfully, the season got better with each episode once they regained the thrilling tone and a simplified the narrative. "One Last Thing" was the first time "Homeland" resembled the seasons 1 and 2 "Homeland," and each episode that followed stood strongly. The way I envision season 3 figuratively is someone being dropped to the bottom of a well, breaking every bone in their body, slowly regaining strength, and climbing to the top of the well. It took them all twelve episodes to climb to the top of the well and the moving finale, "The Star," reinstated "Homeland" to the praise of which it's capable. "The Star" is a bit rushed and vaguely flawed, they regain their punch and thankfully send Brody off on a positive note and turn the page for a new story to begin in season 4.

Season 3 Grade: B

The most striking elements of Homeland are the extraordinary leading actors, Claire Danes and Damian Lewis. Throughout the series, neither actor gave an inadequate performance, but each flourish and limp in distinctive areas. In season 1, Danes' brash work was less interesting to me (though "The Vest" is one overwhelming piece of acting) than Damian Lewis' captivating and emotionally authentic oeuvre in the first season. Lewis breaks the stereotype (for me) that males don't get the same gust of wind in emotional scenes as female actors. In season 2, Danes was fortunately relinquished from the chains of Carrie's instability and was able to play her with more truth and evoke more empathy from the audience. Toned back for the better, Danes rocked the second season and lead it with heroism. Lewis was once again reliable, but did not shine as brightly as Danes. In season 3, neither actor is helped by the material, in fact Lewis' work is middling due to his competent talent and the diminished, undeveloped view of Brody from the writer's room. Danes is always compelling, less so when Carrie's trapped in the psyche ward, but knocks the audience to their knees with a sensational performance in "The Star."

Homeland: What now?

Author: Bleke01 from Norway
1 July 2014

Seeing the third season for the first time, the episodes left me with little, and I was both confused and disappointed. The portrayal of Sgt. Brody from the always brilliant Damian Lewis was gone, and we were left with the Brady bunch. Not a typo!

Xander, I believe said it best. The son is like a boy scout, and the mother has a milf-thing going for her, and Dana is just non-descript, being a part of the perfect family. And the ever annoying Maverick Mike gets somehow involved in this. How ever as the season progress we see less and less of time, and we got more and more of the taste of the CIA.

The continues questions of who is a traitor, who is on whose sides, and how USA is going to stop terrorist gets toned down. I guess the show started to become more like how the intelligence business is in some state of a normalcy. We get to see more of the inner workings of the CIA, and we see how they work, and how they try to get result.

This is a totally new sight for the show. Everything started and ended with Brody before, now the entire world seems like a part of the puzzle, and the picture is much bigger. Up and till a certain moment the season was just great. Great suspense, drama and tension like ever before. The plan Saul initiated from the get go, seems like the move that Alex Gansa made. Homeland is going to change, quite radically, and I don't remember a main character being killed off so unsurprisingly and yet so dramatic and so crucial to the story.

I feel being trapped like Javadi, not unable to get away from the strong grip from Saul/Gansa that just can't say anything else that the season just turned out to be great.

Great performances, but slow start and disputable scenes

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia
19 June 2014

/refers to seasons 1-3/

I had heard lots of praise about this series but then when it was shown on our national TV, I had no opportunity to watch, thus I had to find time later. Having watched its 3 seasons, all episodes in a row, I can consider it good and giving plenty of food for thought, but still, not among the best I have seen so far.

Well, the cast is great and main characters elaborated, particularly Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison (outperforming all the others), Damian Lewis as Nicholas Brody, Mandy Patinkin as Saul Berenson, Morgan Saylor as Dana Brody, Tracy Letts as Senator Andrew Lockhart. Among real villains, however, there is no outstanding performance, and their presence on screen is rather limited. As regards second thoughts, I wonder if our protection and relative peace in the world come from constant non-obedience, officials with disorders, use of felonious traitors? Now, we have come to the script which is based on an Israeli series Hatufim (English title: Prisoners of War); apparently too much, as e.g. use of punitive squads/persons has been more "natural" and initiated by the government than in the U.S, the same applies to the role of Jews and Arabs within the country and high-level persons with personal and dubious agendas. In other words, tensions and drama are often created on the account of reality and credibility. As for excitement and twists/turns, Season 2 is the best.

Therefore, Homeland is a good series, but I have to admit I like House of Cards and The Blacklist, for example, more.

A great show that would be perfect if Carrie was portrayed better

Author: brendan-821-654855
16 June 2014

I really enjoy this show, it's well written, well acted... well almost.

Claire Danes' portrayal of Carrie Mathison is the one thing that really lets the show down.

The overly emotive portrayal starts to become really grating after a while, and then when her character lapses into genuine moments of psychotic breakdown, the impact is lost because it's not really that much different to how the character is portrayed when she's in a state of normalcy.

It also lifts you out of the show, because you find yourself regularly questioning how someone so obviously unstable could ever maintain a career in either the military or the intelligence field.

Just compare her character to that of Saul Berenson (played deftly by Mandy Patinkin) - he is supposed to be her mentor, the older and wiser mirror image of her, yet, clearly he has a temperament that is totally the opposite to Carrie's - and that's precisely the issue, because it is his temperament that makes him so expert and suited to the field of intelligence.

Carrie comes across more like a crazed conspiracy theorist than a boring data analyst whose methodical temperament makes her so good at intelligence gathering and interpretation.

It's a shame, because all of the other central characters, and even the lesser parts, are acted to perfection, and in a way that leaves you believing the plot that is unfolding in front of you.

Flawed, but entertaining, nonetheless

Author: Lawlass from United States
7 June 2014

I hesitated in purchasing the DVDs of this show, because I am not a fan of Claire Danes. But I heard so much hype about how great this series is, that I caved in and bought seasons one and two. I am almost finished with season two, and I have found Homeland to be vastly entertaining and intriguing.

I disagree with the reviews which criticize some of the slower-moving scenes, as being unnecessary or dull. I like the plot lines dealing with the family issues of the returning POW and believe that those moments have made Nicholas Brody an interesting, complex, character. Instead of being a robotic, Manchurian Candidate-like character, Brody's interactions with his family show the human, normal, side of a man whose conscience is in an erratic state of flux and peril. His daughter, who is a troubled teenager, is ironically, the stabilizing force for the more-troubled Marine. The actress who plays Brody's daughter is the scene-stealer of this show, outshining the much-hailed veteran acting cast.

The only downside of this program is Claire Danes, who is difficult to listen to when she delivers her lines, because she is so over-the-top and bordering on hysterics in nearly every scene. The fault for this probably lies more with the writers and director than the actress. While Danes is indeed playing a character who is suffering from some serious mental disorder, she cusses, yells, cries and contorts her face into ugly forms throughout every episode. It is simply unbelievable that the CIA would allow this person to even have a guest pass to its headquarters, let alone be an employee. Cannot the writers of the show give us some moments of an unwired Carrie with a quiet mind, such that her character becomes a bit more believable, or at least, likable?