IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 33: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Complex story but very bad writing and acting

Author: lodi-szabolcs from -
11 March 2014

I hoped for a really exciting spying and conspiracy. The spy-work i got, but characters are really unrealistic. The main character is an agent, who has almost in every scene a nervous break down and cries. Really cries. And she messes up so many times, that i find its really unrealistic that she's still "in" the action. Who writes stuff like this? Its not the actors fault, its the screenwriters. The character a mentally unstable CIA agent who goes many times after her own head, against orders and jeopardizes missions many times and after every time, they just through in something in, like she found some Intel on some paper or chip, and everybody forgives her. I find that very unrealistic. The main story about a maybe-turned prisoner of war it self is good. You never know who's on who's side. But the bad character writing overshadows the hole thing. Sad to say: very very bad characters….

well balanced thriller which keeps you on your toes by intelligently designed plots and results

Author: Adeel Ahmed from Pakistan
27 January 2013

few days ago i was at my friend's place when i first heard of this show 'homeland' and my very first question was 'whats the plot?'. while he was letting me in on the plot i was like here we go! another biased American show glorifying the military and the CIA. but when i started watching it, to my utmost surprise, it wasn't biased. for once somebody in the holly wood has tried to shed some light on that side of the story which is deliberately swept under the carpet. one of the few reasons why 'homeland' just recently won the golden globe and has a wide viewership is because it doesn't take sides but let you choose and decide for yourself who has been wronged and who is doing wrong! one may find minor flaws in the story at times but all in all it's nice to watch.

Not very real

Author: najax9829 from United States
27 November 2014

Claire Dane's character is sooooooooooo unreal. No CIA agent will allow herself to be car laid with someone they suspect. No CIA agent would still be employed with such disregard for authority and disrespect she shows her superiors. Only Mandy Patinkin is a real actor in this series. I watched season 1 this past week to get familiar with the show and after the fifth episode I realized I lost5 hours of my life I can never get back. The wife calls her husband by his last name and the daughter I just wanted to slap. There are too many holes in the story, the major on is what is the plot other than the war on terrorism. There is a mole in the agency and no ones seems to address this with any urgency. Why is the vice president so important and no president at all on the scene for anything. As hokey as 24 was, this is not much better. Take it from one that has worked in this field for 20 years, this is not that real.

Every character is annoying

Author: Beyzoshgs from Turkey
19 November 2014

i started to watch this show because i thought Claire Danes would not play in a bad production. The show has a good plot but the characters are very annoying. Carrie is so much annoying that i can't stand her ( Danes is a very good actress-). She ruins every plan, acts as if she owns USA, she always thinks she knows everything best, her gestures are so annoying that i cant stand her. if cia is just a little bit like this show than they are ruling an amusement park not a country. On the other hand, Brody and his wife Jessica has no characters, no moral issues or anything. They are both very annoying. She sleeps with his best friend and that is okey for everybody. And why does Jessica calls her husband Brody all the time? His name is Nicholas? Why would a wife calls her husband with his surname? i want to mention an other point ,if you know how to pray as a Muslim you would know that Brody prays wrongly, he should have learned how to before the shoots.By the way, i have to say that a real Muslim does not kill, does not drink, and doesn't cheat, the terrorists you call Muslim are not Muslim. The clever people can figure out what religion they have/haven't.

The viewing public must be terribly hungry for entertainment...

Author: maximilian2000 from Greece
7 February 2014

...otherwise how can they truly say that this average-at-best show is so terrific! The best way I can describe it is "a quality production, with a soap-opera level of drawn-out plots which makes it excruciatingly slow, and a plot which seems to have come out of an average spy book off the shelf". The entire 3-season plot can be described in 2 pieces of paper. That's how soap operas last years on end. And don't get me started on Brody's family. There's a filler if I ever saw one. There isn't a single second of family time that has ANYTHING to do with the overall plot. They were just trying to fill in hours. Shame on the sub-average writers, shame on the rest of us who truly WASTED so many hours of our life to NOT be entertained one bit by this sub-average show. Live a little people!.. Not worth your valuable time.

Simply excellent!

Author: frolicfrog from France
27 December 2011

Hi,

This show is truly excellent! I can't wait to see the next episode, which is rare to me... ;-)

Many possibilities open and so many questions we have in mind while all seem possible. Much much better than 24 or some other shows around the same subject.

In France, TV shows are always about cops, never about terrorism. Why ? In England, they are some good shows but very often very slow, too slow. Homeland is simply perfect (until now).

Thanks a lot to all!

Cheers.

Jumping the shark...

Author: pismo10 from United States
20 March 2017

Been watching for years and this season, 2017, Season 6, is very weak. Quinn was a powerful interesting character and has become a freak. Carrie was also a powerful interesting character and has become a whiner. Dar is a freak. Sal has a minor role now. The president elect is very weak, unlikeable, and being manipulated easily.. "When you run out of story ideas, turn it into a soap opera.." This philosophy is the death blow to many, many series and Homeland is no exception. It is jumping the shark as we speak..sadly

Homeland = big collection of unlikeable characters

Author: s k from United States
2 May 2015

This show is laughable from the point of view of unlikeable characters, non-believable story arcs, and questionable at best acting.

Never before have I seen such flat affect from so many characters.

Dana is insufferable. She's like some EMO teenager on too many sedatives.

Estes is equally insufferable. I don't think I've seen him smile once in two seasons.

Saul is the same. Deadpan. Expressionless. Emotionless. Ridiculous.

Then there's the obnoxious Jess. Whiny. Hypocritical. Loathsome.

Then there's Carrie. Good lord...somebody order up some more E.C.T. Please. (I swear...when she was going in for some "procedure", I thought she was going in for a lobotomy, not E.C.T.)

Then there's Mike. Totally forgettable.

Then there's Lauder...a PTSD on steroids.

Then there's Virgil, the obedient lap dog.

About the only tolerable character is Quinn, until he tanks because of his "love" for Carrie. (Wise up, dude. She's a psychopath.)

And then...there are the stupid, humorless, non-believable story arcs that are annoying at best, and the cheap soap-opera melodrama vs real drama.

And then there's the pacing...which is like watching paint dry.

And then there's the writing...which is as laughable as the one dimensional cut out characters.

Added all up...this show is not only less than the sum of its parts, the parts themselves are less than they should be.

What a grossly over-hyped, over-rated series.

An average show with some glaring errors

Author: viv-1435 from Ramadi, Iraq
25 October 2014

I thought this show was average at best and didn't quite live up to all the hype that it attracted when it was first released. There are way too many loose ends in the plot and for me most of the actors didn't do their best job. Few things that make this show stupid:

1. Carrie Mathison: Her personality, stunts, shenanigans. I mean, do CIA agents really behave like cranky teenagers? How does someone so emotionally unstable even land such a job? And...CIA or Military, an order is an order! But Carrie will have none of it. Her colleagues themselves had to shoot her to make things clear. LOL

With her petite frame she dodges bullets on rooftops in Beirut, gets slammed face first onto a tank by one of the world's deadliest terrorists, is 20 meters from an exploding briefcase but ends up fine. Is she secretly also a Navy SEAL?

Also, whats up with her facial expressions? Confused, Angry, Tense...all mixed up! Textbook psycho woman, but still somehow an active CIA agent.

There are loads of other things that make absolutely no sense.

2. Peter Quinn threatening his boss David Estees. Makes CIA look like a drug cartel where anyone can hold a gun to anyone. He threatened the Director of the bloody CIA in his own house. And got away with it LMAO!

3. Majid Javadi, the 2nd highest dude in the Iranian intelligence murders his wife and daughter in law in cold blood in a residential area in the USA? Are you kidding me? There were a million discreet ways to do that, but an experienced intelligence officer couldn't think of any? Please.

4. At the end of Season 3, Fara is an innocent but talented girl who has just joined the CIA. Come season 4 and she's in Islamabad. On the streets. With no protection from the agency or the embassy. So she became a field agent in like 3 months? What did her already p*ssed off dad have to say about that?

5. A total of 5 dudes pretty much run the entire show at the CIA. And they always give in to Carrie's incessant rants.

6. The fake accents in Pakistan. Oh my God! I died laughing at that one. I guess nobody bothered to do any research about how Urdu is not Hindi.Many of the Pakistani characters were actually Indian. But what was on screen was not even Hindi. It sounded ridiculously funny!

The only true saving grace for Homeland is Mandy Patinkin. His performance was exceptional and deserves applause. Otherwise this show is mediocre and the writing, horrible.

Best I've seen in years

Author: bullzeyeno1 from United States
12 January 2012

This is my first review on IMDb (unless I posted long ago and forgot). I wanted to express how much I enjoyed Homeland's first season. Though it shares the same creators as "24", I was not aware of that fact until after I watched the finale and while there are certainly some similarities, I think they have created a series in "Homeland" that for the most part breaks the mold of the TV thriller.

What particularly stands out to me is the idea of using two primary perspectives: one of the cat (Carrie) and one of the supposed mouse (Brody). The result of such a decision is that both characters are humanized. The audience is given an opportunity to share in their qualities and flaws alike. I'm not sure I've seen this before on screen in a show where you are given a window into both sides of a game in which there is presumably one good side and one bad side. In literature, I've only seen this setup in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

The acting is also excellent. Claire Danes (whom I admittedly haven't seen since Romeo + Juliet) is thrilling as the manic, obsessive CIA analyst who embarks on a personal mission to find the truth. Damien Lewis (whom I have heard of but never personally seen) is borderline chilling as he readjusts to life in the US after 8 years of near-total isolation in a dark room in Iraq. I also cannot move on without commending Mandy Patinkin for his work as Saul Berenson. Comparatively, we know little about his character beyond his failing marriage, but it is easy to embrace him as the calming force in Carrie's life.

As it is a TV serial, most every episode ends with an obligatory twist/turn or revelation about one of the characters. Unlike other shows (often including 24), these revelations are not contrived or unrealistic. This is a series that is measured and calculated, so for those expecting another 24, the number of dead bodies is few.

I can say that the one grievance I have (and it may very well be true of most shows/movies) is that Carrie often seems the only person in the entire CIA capable of putting pieces together. All in all, it is an outstanding procedural drama that often keeps you at the edge of your seat.