IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

If CIA operates anything like HOMELAND we're doomed!

Author: C. Scott from east coast, US
14 January 2013

Sounds interesting until you watch it, and if you're like me you tend to pick it's bones like turkey on Thanksgiving. Carrie has an affair with Brody to get closer to gathering information, but she actually falls for him, then has a nervous breakdown & acts all jittery & crazy. Yet she's still allowed to be in charge & hold her rank in the CIA while crying at every drop of a hat? Puleeeese! And the Brody character is not only titled an American hero, but he's a Congressman scouted to be the Vice President's running mate. That in itself would be a lot on his plate, but where does he find time to plot terrorist activities, stay abreast of military & presidential affairs, while hiding from press who usually dog any political appointee, and sneak off from his wife & kids while running off to meet Carrie for weekends in little cabins in the woods? Puleeeese! Mandy Pantikin co-stars as Saul,whose been with the CIA 35 years. He trained Carrie & placed her in the field, and though not her boss anymore, he's still protective of her & she looks to him as a mentor. However, she rarely takes his advice these days & constantly runs off on tangents which, in real life, would either get her killed or most likely stripped of rank & fired. I really like Pantikin but sad to see him take on a role of such a complacent character. Give him some spit & fire! Puleeeeese!! I'm bored with it now & probably will drop it altogether. Hopefully before the next time (otherwise pretty) Claire Danes' cry face freezes that way...

An annoyingly stupid depiction...

Author: Cook E. Munster from United States
24 December 2012

Annoying characters, meaningless drama and absolutely no attention to detail.

This show would have you believe that the major CIA operations are based on the whims and fancies of an out of control, emotionally unstable over grown child. What a joke! The whole series is characterized by painful stupidity and unbelievable laxness on the part of both terrorists and CIA operatives.

There is one scene where a terrorist lies down ON TOP of the backseat of a car with a blanket over himself and the driver never notices. Even when she is stopped at a police check point by a cop with a torch (security for the vice president) no one notices anything!!! Really?

In addition to all the stupidity, the show is also borderline offensive to Arabs.

I wish I had not bought the whole damn season on amazon.

THE WIRE still reigns supreme as (by far) the best drama ever.... ...is there no one else?

Flawless TV

Author: GaiaOnlyKnows from United Kingdom
26 December 2011

This series is truly great television. On every single level it works and the judgemental aspect of my brain can only give up finding something to criticise. First of all the show deals with the subject of terrorism in a very mature way, there is no ideology behind the script and every perspective is treated fairly. The characters have a real depth rarely seen on screen which is backed up by a lot of very solid acting. Indeed, the conflicting elements to the central characters which makes the show so great would unlikely be pulled off without actors of the calibre of Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Mandy Patinkin and Morena Baccarin (also particular kudos to the daughter played by Morgan Saylor - one to watch out for in the future). Not only do you watch these characters go through some truly weird and strained circumstances, you really feel it too. The story also has a depth and complexity to it that has only been seen in shows such as The Wire, Lost, The Sopranos and Generation Kill. There are no plot holes that distract from the often quite tense narrative and despite what you think of the overall subject I would be surprised if this show didn't totally suck you in. This is a very real, well thought out and well executed show. Two big thumbs up to everyone involved. For everybody else - go watch it.

Much better than 24

Author: iGlad from United Kingdom
18 October 2011

people have tried to compare it to 24 but its much better than that even i loved the show, why? because it's much more believable and convincing. The scripting is great the dating is great the sub plots are great and the main plot is something we cannot put our finger on it, is he or isn't he? I love the way it's going and i have my views on which i'll keep to myself. I think Claire Danesas being slightly unhinged and manic is brilliant as that actually helps her to get the job done in a strange kind of way.

Excellent show, which the main networks couldn't or wouldn't be able to produce..........

Marathoned over 2 days: my thoughts...

Author: DaelinX from Denmark
20 December 2011

Okay, firstly, I gotta say, I watched the entire series believing that there would only be one season and the story would be finished by the finale episode. This is because I saw that IMDb listed the show's running period as (2011) only and not the usual (2011-), meaning its ongoing - when did they change that? That was kinda stupid of me, I guess. Anyway, I see that the show's been renewed for a second season, which is great, because this show is very good. Just a heads up, though, that my false belief kinda affected my view of the show while I was watching it, especially the last episode where I was expecting everything to wrap up.

Like I said, this show is good, very good. Its basically what AMC's Rubicon should have been like. Its very much in the same vein, with the themes of paranoia, conspiracy theories and dealing with the whole intelligence business. Only in Homeland, stuff actually happens, the plot moves along and it keeps you interested. Rubicon had a good premise but literally nothing happened on that show and that's why it got cancelled. Homeland has a bit "tinfoil hat" premise too, but the story and characters are so complex, you accept that in favor of just being entertained. Both Damien Lewis's and Claire Danes's respective characters are in danger of becoming cliché, but because they are so complex and so well acted, you find yourself drawn to these people. The all-important guessing of whether Brody is turned or not is not just a question of if, but also why or why not. And Carrie Mathison is not just some government suit with a patriotic zeal to root out the terrorist conspiracy - her obsession comes from somewhere darker, as well. Mandy Patinkin is pretty close to being a show-stealer too, with his laser-wit and deeply caring Saul.

The middle episodes are probably the highlight of the season. That's when most seems to be at stake for the main characters and before the big reveal on the whole 'turned' question. After that, the story kinda looses some of its momentum (still exciting, though) and the finale episode could be called anti-climactic by some, but I was still thrilled by the very last scene, which (when re-viewed with the facts straight) set up the second season nicely.

I'm really looking forward to what will happen in season two, for as I say, I thought this one was all there was right until the cut-to-black of the final scene, where I then checked the show's Wikipedia page. Now the ending definitely makes more sense. As for the story, the cat is pretty much out of the bag on the big question of turned/not turned and the future of our heroine is looking not so bright, so where the story will go next, I shall wait to see.

Easy 9/10 based on the acting of the main cast and the thrilling story.

Thought Provoking Television

Author: JoeC345 from United States
8 August 2013

If you want to watch some inane shoot em up show about terrorism where America can do no wrong and always kills the enemy, there are plenty of those available. However if you want a more in depth look at the causalities of terrorist attacks and the people that devote their lives to preventing them, then Homeland is a show for you.

One thing that has bothered me for years in shows like 24 is the stereotypical views that they promote about the non-traditional Americans such as Muslims. Every single Islamic member that is shown in shows like 24 ends up having some ties to terrorism and is inherently evil. It doesn't stop there though, any deviation of what is thought to be the ideal American lifestyle leads to trouble in such single minded simplistic shows, but I digress.

This is a review about Homeland which is a surprisingly good entertainment. It starts with Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes in an astonishing performance) learning that an American POW has been turned and is now working for a terrorist organization. Later when an American POW, Gunnery Sergeant Nicolas Brody (Damian Lewis), is rescued she starts to think that he may have been the one she was warned about.

WIthout any proof or any real probable cause, she opens an investigation and begins tracking his movements to see if anything raises suspicions. Another bothersome thing about many other shows is the way the lead characters of those shows someone has the audacity and ability to flout both federal and state laws without any repercussions. Homeland does not let any of it's characters get off so easy. If any character is in the wrong in any way they are appropriately chastised for it. In addition to Claire Danes and Damian Lewis awards worthy performances, Mandy Patinkin's performance as upper level CIA officer and Carrie Mathison's mentor is phenomenal.

Not wanting to give away to much of this amazing plot I will end this review here. However I will say that even though the first few episodes of season one are a little slow, it is to be expected since automatically leading into the action is a good way to turn an astute brilliantly crafted show into another asinine action filled debacle.

Brilliant work! Catchy and deep. Can't wait to see more.

Author: Marek P from United States
17 September 2011

The cast looks like it connects very well. Story as of episode 1 is very interesting, dark, and open to many different ways to keep it going. There is one main story throughout the episode, but with many side stories that seem to start of a little slowly. It gets you wondering and trying to connect the dots every minute of the show. It's like the TV series "Life", but without the funny part and in with good drama. To be more specific it reminds me a little bit of Bourne Trilogy but twisted a little bit. Much recommended to anyone between 18-30 years of age or anyone who likes to watch media about CIA work. Not a lot of action just yet, but it is cooking up to be a good one.

season 4 is idiotic

Author: krzysiektom from Poland
19 December 2014

Unfortunately the writers for the season 4 took viewers and fans of the series for morons. The entire chain of events in Islamabad is idiotic and highly unrealistic. If US Embassies operated in such a loose and unprofessional manner, half of them all over the world would have been attacked or infiltrated. In a place like Pakistan the US Embassy is like a fortress and movements of all the personnel are monitored and so are the entrances to the flats of key embassy employees. Spoilers: Ambassador's husband(!?) sneaks into Carrie's flat and switches her pills!? And it works? And he knows the plans of the embassy building secret tunnel?? What?? And one of top Pakistani intelligence people cooperates with CIA Carrie against the wishes of his boss, because... he likes her and it's the right thing to do. What?? Bazukas smash the vehicles with Carrie and Saul to pieces, but surely they come out of it only with minor bruises. Hollywood stuff. The US Embassy's CIA operative goes AWOL and conducts an operation to kill a Pakistani terrorist on his own, against the orders from Carrie. And did I mention he shoots a US guard in the leg when they try to apprehend him. What?? What an unrealistic fairy tale.

Feedback

Author: mghn1978
15 July 2014

I was one of the fans of this serial, however in recent episodes, my country, Iran had been shown in a very different way, which I am not happy with. My beautiful city, Tehran, had been shown like Arabian cities, it had been shown that in Tehran, people are wearing frightening Hijab and they are attacking others which is %100 wrong. we are civilized people and have powerful culture, there may be some political problems between my country and others, however it does not mean that we lost our humanity. Tehran is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and people are not at all like the one in the last episodes of Homeland.I highly have request from producers to show the reality about each place they are producing film about, in this case people who are watching these movies, will have a clear idea about other countries and their culture and habits. Thank You

Worst series ever.

Author: grm009 from United States
27 December 2014

The first season left me looking forward to the second. By the end of the second, the plot has become so preposterous and so idiotic, I'm sorry I wasted my time watching any of it. The plot meanders here and there, people get killed, accidents happen, here and there, and to what end? The answer is to keep the show going mindlessly for another season or two. I'm finished. Every American character is a government employee, except for wives and children. Every Muslim is a terrorist. The worst part of the series is the fact that whoever wrote the script obviously had no idea where he was going to go at the start. This has to be (I hope) the nadir of Claire Danes' acting career where she repeats the same horrible affectations-mouth quivering between grimace and grin, and an idiotic wide-eyed look where her corneas become dots in the middle of the whites of her eyes. I'll chalk that up to incompetent directing. The main characters- Carrie and Brody- are deeply despicable, amoral characters who have the same predictable conversations feeding each others' delusions over and over again. The worst part of it is that the producers of this pretentious garbage seem to expect that the viewers have forgotten all about their deeds and have somehow transformed them into sympathetic characters. There isn't a moment of irony, or self-reflection in the entire series. I do think I see a look in Mandy Patinkin's face where he's thinking "This turkey's even worse than Criminal Minds." Go and watch The Assets and see how it's done when it's done really well.

Page 2 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]