IMDb > "Homeland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Homeland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Homeland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Intriguing Drama with an immensely talented cast.

Author: Akshit Markan from India
12 October 2011

If you wanted to see a gripping thriller with incredible characters, you have come to the perfect place. 'Homeland' is the new Showtime Drama that entertains you throughout and never lets you go, thus succeeding in slipping in some really unexpected twists in the plot. With writers who've previously written for '24', the show does look inspired when it comes to keeping the audience in the dark.

The show is blessed with a small but amazing cast whose performance is worth every penny. Claire Danes plays an intense CIA analyst who believes that recently recovered P.O.W. (Damian Lewis) is plotting to attack America. Her character is unstable and makes it hard for the audience to believe her which adds to the beauty of the script. Damian Lewis, on the other hand, plays the 'guy in uniform' with ease as he did splendidly in 'Band of Brothers'. The show hasn't revealed much about Damian's character and I have a feeling they wouldn't do that any time soon, since it keeps the suspense going.

The pilot was top-notch and certainly the best that premiered this fall. If the show continues to be intriguing and maintains the high quality of the pilot, it can surely be a genius.

10 stars at least for now.

A brilliant first season leaves me pining for more.

Author: endemoniada-1 from Sweden
19 December 2011

Wow, yeah, so a lot of people watched the final episode and thought the show sucked. Maybe they're right, a lot of them also seem to share the same problems with it, from the ending being disappointing to it being a "propaganda show" AGAINST the USA.

First of all, whatever the political aspirations of the show's creators, this is a fantastically solid, well-acted and directed first season of a show that feels like what 24 should have been from the start. Tight-knit, down-to-earth suspense with an actually realistic premise. As for the supposed "propaganda", it's time the people in the US hear what the rest of the world has been thinking for a decade now. No, really, we actually don't think it's absolutely ridiculous that 10 years of retaliatory wars in the Middle East will spawn some kind of blowback. This show explores what we've all been thinking, but American patriotism makes it shameful to admit. I find that incredibly strong and encouraging, and it makes me watch it not because I hate American, but because I enjoy and appreciate truth.

As for the acting, I sincerely hope Claire Danes will receive proper recognition. Especially in the last few episodes towards the end, her performance has been among the strongest on TV in years. Lately, only Brian Cranston's amazing tour-de-force in Breaking Bad has topped it. Damian Lewis, too, delivers like I've rarely seen. Far from the caricatures of Muslim terrorists Americans apparently would like to see, he sincerely and convincingly acts out the role of the man who is emotionally sure of what he wants, but not brainwashed enough to think is the absolute only way to achieve it. Desperation can make anyone rationalize their goals, but not always be enough for that final push.

Now I eagerly await the second season, amid the angry and upset cries of all the people who can only accept fantasy that supports their own, real homeland.

Powerful, sophisticated drama

Author: kkay3 from United States
11 December 2011

Who said American television couldn't produce an edgy, compelling drama that captivates an audience? Homeland is spell-binding, packed with enough twists and turns to keep even a seasoned mystery writer wondering. Superb acting and a script that manages to avoid the usual clichés. Kudos to the writers! I found myself debating the civil liberties vs. national security issues that are so artfully posed each week.Claire Danes, Damien Lewis and Mandy Patinkin inhabit their characters.The producers also refrained from populating the cast with impossibly beautiful people who are unlikely candidates for clandestine operatives. The performances are nuanced and exquisitely wrought.They raise serious questions about the sacrifices both personal and physical that are required in the world of espionage, and the political consequences of using "heroes" for cynical ends. This show and its ensemble cast are MUSTS for Emmy recognition.

Why am I watching this?

Author: Vincent Nguon from France
5 November 2012

- Overstretched plot - VERY unlikeable characters (especially the main character) - So many useless scenes - Not enough story-driven - Plot-holes - Unrealistic fiction

What appeared to be a great idea on paper: "a POW has been turned" is becoming a dramatic soap opera... I was expecting something 24-like because of the writers but nothing is common, no action, no twists, no cliffhangers, no nothing. I hate Carrie, Saul, Brody's wife, I kinda like Brody (props to his daughter's acting) who is supposed to be the bad guy... who apparently is going to be led straight to the VP office.

I don't even know why I'm watching but I think I will stop soon if nothing happens. I started because of the hype, but I shouldn't have.

The only thing I like about this show is that you can start watching and do something else on the side you wont miss a lot.

And finally: WHY WOULD YOU F*** SOMEONE YOU THOUGHT COULD BE A TERRORIST???

Brilliant

Author: Arik_P from Ireland
2 January 2012

This is a masterpiece of TV thriller/action/drama . Sharp, sophisticated, clear and crisp. Excellent performance of the entire cast.It's realistic tense, action packed 12 hours of just well made TV.!The storyline is crafted in such a brilliant way that from the first episode ,one can not wait to see how the drama concludes. I said realistic , as the cast so brilliantly fit in to their characters. Mandy Patinkin's performance is outstanding as the voice of sanity throughout the events.Claire Danes is having a double role as the CIA agent and as being Bipolar . Finally Damian Lewis:The creators could not have found anyone better to play Nicholas Brody.

Flawless TV

Author: GaiaOnlyKnows from United Kingdom
26 December 2011

This series is truly great television. On every single level it works and the judgemental aspect of my brain can only give up finding something to criticise. First of all the show deals with the subject of terrorism in a very mature way, there is no ideology behind the script and every perspective is treated fairly. The characters have a real depth rarely seen on screen which is backed up by a lot of very solid acting. Indeed, the conflicting elements to the central characters which makes the show so great would unlikely be pulled off without actors of the calibre of Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Mandy Patinkin and Morena Baccarin (also particular kudos to the daughter played by Morgan Saylor - one to watch out for in the future). Not only do you watch these characters go through some truly weird and strained circumstances, you really feel it too. The story also has a depth and complexity to it that has only been seen in shows such as The Wire, Lost, The Sopranos and Generation Kill. There are no plot holes that distract from the often quite tense narrative and despite what you think of the overall subject I would be surprised if this show didn't totally suck you in. This is a very real, well thought out and well executed show. Two big thumbs up to everyone involved. For everybody else - go watch it.

Slow and formulaic

Author: a1_andy_11 from United Kingdom
5 November 2012

Homeland has been receiving rave reviews and I can't see why. It's predictable, corny and incredibly slow at times. Our lead character is a troubled, stubborn, renegade agent who constantly disobeys her Superiors (she also can't stop shouting). This formula has been used in every buddy cop show ever made. Not to mention shows like The Shield, 24, etc. Although this time I found myself siding with the villain. Clare Danes makes for a very annoying and unlikeable Jack Bauer clone who over acts every scene with the same three facial expressions.

The middle east is portrayed in the usual black and white over the top Hollywood style. Then comes the slow pacing, with hollow characters going through predictable motions the viewer has too much time to realise not enough effort went into the story. 24 got away with insane plot holes because it was so fast paced, the viewer is on a roller-coaster ride.

Damian Lewis is a good actor but he has nothing to work with here. As is Mandy Patinkin, their talent is wasted on this shoddy 24 clone.

Am I the only one who HATES this show?

Author: richwgriffin-227-176635 from United States
25 September 2012

I guess I am the only one who absolutely hates this show. I've watched 3 episodes only (it's all I could bear to watch) - dull, boring, poorly acted (Danes and Lewis won Emmys for their - ahem - performances?). The pacing is deadly - it's also remarkably visually flat. And what is the point of this show? A complete waste of time. I am curious as to what others think the politics of this show is? What is the P.O.V.? I know others love this show so it may be just a case of my disliking where others are at psychologically at this dangerous time in history. I don't like a single one of the characters on this show! Also, less than 3 million people watch this show? (That's 3 million more than should, LOL!). O.K., only 1 star for this piece of junk!

good but really nothing that extraordinary

Author: nanofcb from France
27 September 2012

Mmm I think that the shows starts good but after that they just overstretched the story with just unexplained twists.

the good part extends from the pilot to the 6/7 episode, after that parking lot sex it just goes stupidly wrong. I mean how the hell a CIA agent will go out and sleep with somebody she's suspecting to be a freaking terrorist FFS and how does a trained CIA agent believes the words of someone that just admitted to her face that he was lying, oh just because she fell in love with him, yeah you heard right, a CIA Agent fell in love with the man she was convinced he was a terrorist just a few days ago.

Oh and please,to the writers of this show and others in general, stop using the "bipolar" thing just to solve your plot writing issues, it's really getting old and lame.

Not talking about the disappointing ending, Overstretched Plot is Freaking OVERSTRETCHED. Don't believe the hype.

Brilliant work! Catchy and deep. Can't wait to see more.

Author: Marek P from United States
17 September 2011

The cast looks like it connects very well. Story as of episode 1 is very interesting, dark, and open to many different ways to keep it going. There is one main story throughout the episode, but with many side stories that seem to start of a little slowly. It gets you wondering and trying to connect the dots every minute of the show. It's like the TV series "Life", but without the funny part and in with good drama. To be more specific it reminds me a little bit of Bourne Trilogy but twisted a little bit. Much recommended to anyone between 18-30 years of age or anyone who likes to watch media about CIA work. Not a lot of action just yet, but it is cooking up to be a good one.

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]