IMDb > Karl Mulberry (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Karl Mulberry More at IMDbPro »

A charmer!

Author: Savannah B
20 September 2012

I was fortunate to catch this little short at the Comic Con Film Festival 2012 and was thoroughly charmed. It's a bit of a familiar story but the performances of the three leads, Paul Goetz, Tracey Evans and David Purdham, brought a quirky sweetness that was funny, heartfelt and completely genuine. Kudos to the director and casting director for finding these three.

And an extra special shout out to the composer. The score is truly, truly great. It does what every great score should; reflect the tone of the piece and its characters without being overpowering.

Beautifully shot and quickly paced. If you have a chance to catch "Karl Mulberry", I encourage you to do so. And stay to the end of the credits for some extra fun!

Charming and fun

Author: Casey Dillard
20 March 2012

Saw this film as part of the LA Comedy Shorts block at a festival. It was easily my favorite of the films in its set.

The slightly heightened reality of Karl's world was enjoyable and because it was never presented in a heavy-handed way it was quite believable.

The title character is flawed, likable and very real in his mixed emotions. And the actor, Paul Goetz, was a treat to watch, especially in his interactions with his mother (also a delightful performer). All of the main three characters were very easy to like. I would love to see more of them. It succeeded for me in a way that the films I heard it being compared to (Juno, Napoleon Dynamite) weren't quite able to.

Very nice journey!