IMDb > Struck by Lightning (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

random story but great

Author: Swish ieee from United Kingdom
22 December 2012

This movie will touch those who feel a bit lost in life. The movie began with Chris Colfer's character being killed by lightning, and it may have been the most random and unlikely event to take place realistically and you will feel sceptical about how this will all play out during the movie but by the end of it, re-watching this scene is extremely sad.

Yes, it is a high school movie, bringing in all the clichéd cliques and stereotypes but never in a cheesy manner. All characters play a minor role but ultimately this is Chris Colfer's movie. He plays a great, passionate and driven kid and this only makes his fate more sad. Rebel Wilson does a fun job in playing the odd girl who perhaps is the only person who truly likes Chris' character, Carson.

There is a focus on Carson's relationship with his mother an alcoholic and depressed women, who was left by Carson's father during their marriage. Without saying much it is quite emotional towards the end. It is a great movie, sending a strong message on ambition, future, life and friendship. Watch it, but be warned, it is not a cheesy high school movie, nor will it leave you in a uplifted but emotional state as in the Perks of Being a Wallflower.

"It doesn't matter if you're stuck in the past or if you're trying to forget the past; what matters is what you do with the present"- Struck by Lightning.

Carson Philips wants to be a journalist and blackmails half the student body to join his literary magazine to better his chances of getting into his dream college.

Author: katerinakahl
30 April 2012

This coming of age film was well written and showed one of the other sides of Actor/Writer/Producer Chris Colfer. He originally wrote it when he was about 18 and dipped into some very complicated matters such as divorce. I would recommend this to anyone of any age. Some matters, although they seem very childlike (like blackmailing others to get what you want), touch on some serious aspects such as how schools are run. Although it is unlikely for someone to get struck by lightning and die spontaneously, it does bring awareness to many problems. Rebel Wilson is incredible in this. Even in the end when half the theater was balling their eyes out and i had the equivalent of a glass full of water on my sweater from crying, she made everyone laugh literally out loud. Her one liners were all her; she was doing improv for pretty much the whole move. Recap: EVERYONE NEEDS TO WATCH THIS. its not sappy but its sad, its hilarious, and it touches one important subjects.

Highly Recommended

Author: virginiacitygirl from United States
31 October 2012

I saw this at a film festival and understood immediately why it got an early comparison to John Hughes movies. Like those, SBL doesn't talk down to its audience, nor is it sweet in the slightest. There are lots of one-liners and snarky little jokes that zip by quickly and naturally, fully expecting the audience to catch them without having to be hit over the head. Even the tender moments (and there are quite a few of them) are flavored with a dash of vinegar.

Personally I was surprised by how empathetic lead character Carson Phillips was. He's a self important little snot, but I could easily recognize a deep core of frustration at the heart of his bitter snark. Carson's problem is not that he doesn't care, it's that he cares too much, about everything, and can't understand why other people don't. (Or won't) He can't relate to his peers - except for a shy, quirky girl named Malerie (Rebel Wilson) - and the adults in his life regularly let him down. Everyone around him seems to be either clinging to the past or stubbornly locked into the present, while all Carson wants is a chance to get out of his little town, spread his wings and embrace the future.

Allison Janney and Rebel Wilson have been getting much of the pre-release buzz, but this movie belongs to Chris Colfer all the way. From the first frame to the last, he is the driving force and he is excellent. People who want to write this off as starring "that kid from Glee" should give this movie a chance. I think they'll be pleasantly surprised. Glee and Kurt Hummel never even crossed my mind as I was watching and it took no effort at all to get lost in the narrative and enter into Carson's world for 90 minutes. The actors were all well cast and everyone seemed to really sink their teeth into these roles. And for a first-time writer, Colfer truly impressed me. The plot holds together well and both the teen and adult perspectives are believable and interesting.

Not your average Teen movie

Author: claire_smyth
24 December 2012

This film wasn't what I was expecting - but still enjoyed it.

A warning - don't expect it to be like Glee, it won't leave you feeling uplifted at the end. Having seen the trailer and Rebel Wilson, I assumed this was going to be a comedy, but its actually quite tragic and sad - there are few laughs though.

It actually reminds me of the film 'Orange County' (with Colin Hanks and Jack Black). Carson like Hank's character is trying to escape his difficult family circumstances and go to college and then on to a successful career. Orange County is a little more light hearted though.

Its a good effort by Chris Colfer and out of all the Glee cast I can see him being the most successful. He could be another Ryan Murphy in the making - only nice.

Colfer definitely outdid himself

Author: Abir Mohammad from United Kingdom
24 December 2012

Struck By Lightning was perfect on all levels, I can't believe how much I related to Carson; he is definitely one of my new favourite fictional characters ever. As an aspiring author myself, this film was so inspiring for me in terms of writing, it's really made me want to get out there and achieve my goals and not end up in a terrible life that I don't like. This film, although with the unrealistic storyline, was still so realistic on so many levels and I think this will remain a lifelong favourite of mine. Chris is so talented on so many levels.

I cannot wait for this to be released on DVD in this country so I can keep it forever.

As a big fan of his television show, Glee, I immediately fell in love with Chris and his character there. I also, as well as Kurt Hummel, identify myself with Carson so much. I am so glad that I saw this film.

Insightful and realistic lesson on life and growing up when Chris Colfer is not singing or dancing

Author: carson-chow
19 January 2013

When the Alzheimer's-afflicted grandmother says "I'm worried about my grandson", my heart starts to break and this terrible feeling lasts until the end of the movie.

"Struck by Lightning" begins with the 17-year-old protagonist, Carson Phillips (played by Chris Colfer) getting killed by a bolt from the sky in the parking lot. As he recounts and narrates his final days when he was still alive, ambitious and walking around blackmailing his fellow classmates in school to contribute in his literary magazine with the help of his best, and only friend, Malerie (Rebel Wilson), we learn about his plans to get into Northwestern University and become the editor of the New Yorker and writer of the NY Times and LA Times, or even win the Nobel Peace Prize. Mainly, he just wants to leave this town he never leaves, or live a life he never lives.

Carson lives with his divorced mother, Sheryl (Allison Janney) an alcoholic who tells her son that she wishes she had an abortion in the 90s. His father, Neal (Dermot Mulroney) is about to remarry a pregnant local pharmacist, April (Christina Hendricks) who does not know the existence of his ex-wife and his son. There's also the adorable and aging grandmother (Polly Bergen) who no longer recognizes Carson, but still remembers the first story he wrote her "''Once upon a time there was a boy who wanted to fly'."

The movie is about Carson wanting to fly away from this hell hole he lives in, with almost no friends or no family that cares and loves him. It is heartbreaking to see him fail in the end, despite all his effort. He never reaches any of his goals, never says any goodbyes, and never even graduates highschool. But he did actually manage to escape from all the pain in his life: when he drives to see the sunset and ocean for the first time towards the end; when he gets killed by the lightning; and when he completes his final story to his grandmom ("Once upon a time there was a boy who flew.")

Everyone wants to say goodbye to him even when they know it's impossible. His mother repeatedly calls him when she finds out he is dead; Malerie wipes her teary eyes with tissue when she watches the old videos of Carson; grandmom leaves the scarf-blanket she has been knitting on the coffin; and every classmates he blackmailed attended his funeral. They are all witness to his struggle to leave and a boy who does not gives up until his last breath, leaving an emotional void in everyone's hearts.

This movie is a realistic lesson on life and growing up and captures the hardships involved. It may not be smart to kill off the central character in the opening scene but this is not a cheesy happy high school coming-of-age feel-good comedy. Chris Colfer, 22 years old, also wrote the screenplay and he proves himself that he can write and act when he is not singing and dancing as "Glee"'s Kurt Hummel The story is random and nevertheless entertaining most of the time. The film is fast-paced and witty but the narrative does not fully explores the potential of the relationships. However, I understand the reason with all the unfilled gaps because it's just life. We can't always expect to get what we want: closure, development, good-byes.

I am glad I watched this movie and it moved me so many times. In the end our tragic anti- hero Carson becomes the boy who flew but never flew away but what's more important is that he has had a meaningful journey in this insightful movie about life, future, hopes and dreams that never end.

Insightful movie that addresses that High School is temporary

Author: bigbookwrm1 from United States
6 January 2013

It is not a flawless film by any means, but few are. However it does address something that few movies about high school do; which is the dichotomy between students who live in the moment and think those years are the end all and be all, and those who see it as a finite time to get through for the longer (and hopefully better) future.

The main character's tragedy (among many) is not his ultimate fate but in that in seeking to get though the school years and not enjoying them (or what little there is to find happiness in) misses it, by being focused solely by getting out.

In contrast the other teenage characters (Rebel Wilson's being an exception) have blinders on; in terms of both acceptance of other people and of the existence of the larger world and that they will have to enter it and so forth.

Are there clichés? Yes, but high school students are much the same everywhere so that is an issue of reality and life and not the limitations of the screenwriter.

Are the scenes between Carson and the adults more compelling? Of course, but that is because adults by definition have more life experience (good and bad) to make them more intriguing.

Ultimately, the movie's flaws are minor compared to the whole. It is smart, dead on in observation (especially in regards to the parental and authority figures interaction with Carson and family dynamics), and the casting is brilliant, with one exception.

That would be Dylan McDermotte. Who, besides their mothers, can tell him apart from Dermut Mulroney?

Chris Colfer is just brilliant.

Author: barendbkj
7 July 2013

Struck by Lightning hit me hard, it touched me, made me laugh and left me relieved when it was finished. I have to say it was actually Rebel Wilson that made me want to watch this movie. She's as always hilarious no matter what she does. Chris Colfer is definitely one of the best young actors in Hollywood today and i think that the idea he had with Struck By Lightning came through in the end. Its about not standing back and not to let others push you around. To do everything you can to ensure your future (it is after all survival of the fittest). You won't be wasting your time...if you're into teen movies this is a must see. If they keep making movies like this I think there'll be a bright future ahead.

Loved it.

Author: Irena
6 January 2013

I must say, I expected completely different thing when I saw poster for this movie. However, it was not only better, but different than any other movie I watched recently. It shows how life is actually difficult for some teenagers, not those typical 'I am not prom queen, I'm so unpopular, nobody likes me, I want to get laid blah blah' stories. I really enjoyed acting, complete story is just amazing. I recommend everyone to see it, because it shows that there are far worse problems than wondering if you look good, or if you have boyfriend and other clichés that are mostly shown in teen movies. One more thing, previous review is obviously written by someone who does not appreciate Chris, and it is entirely wrong.

Amazing

Author: vitadrottningen from Sweden
14 July 2013

This movie was more than great. I can't really explain. It seemed strange in the beginning but then it all cleared. I'm a teenager myself and it's easy to feel what Criss want's me to feel. A quote from movie that really changed me, I think is "The thing i regret the most is waiting for life to begin". The reason why it made think a lot is because I do that. I wait for life begin. I don't live now, I wait say "when I get older I will..". But life is short and you can die in most unexpected ways ever. So from now on I will try to live and not wait for life to begin.

This movie really changed me, I really think.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]