IMDb > Zero Dark Thirty (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Zero Dark Thirty

Zero Dark Thirty More at IMDbPro »

Interleaved...
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 7.4.
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 7.4.
Page 2 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]
Index 353 matching reviews (654 reviews in total)

worst movie on last 5 years...

Author: assistec24 from Portugal
10 January 2013

One need patience to watch this. To see the country who bring us the modern democracy using the KGB "tools" - and all of this for nothing - make me sick. Same parts of this "movie" remember me the black-and-withe Nazi propaganda documentaries. Shooting female civilian in the back its not a heroic act. Not even in a war. Never was. I have some doubts about what real happened on that night in Pakistan. Why the most wanted was not taken alive. Submitted to a Court. Show him to the world and let the American people to judge him. Interrogate him. Using the law to make justice. Nothing of this was answered. All the movie its like a very bad documentary about assassination and torture .

I finish this with only a sad sentence: on a scale from 1 to 10 I give a big 0 (zero).

Awful movie don't waste your time

Author: Dave Lam from Toronto, Ontario
9 January 2013

Do not watch this, it was a complete waste of time, if your looking for something better I suggest watching the Seal Team 6 movie, which is based on the same concept of this movie. This movie is long boring and such a waste of time, I never write reviews but this movie was so bad I had to let everyone know not to watch it. Terrible just Terrible. The plot is so slow, the acting isn't good at all. The characters portrayed in this doesn't seem as accurate as they should be, as the characters make senseless decisions. If I was a CIA operative I'm sure I would be much more intelligent than the people portrayed in this movie. I was actually happy when one of the operatives got blown up because this movie was just terrible.

Oscar? No way. This movie shouldn't even exist.

Author: Bilal Zaman from Abbottabad, Pakistan
29 January 2013

I think this movie has shown the reality of USA. They not even try to fool the people but they also show that they are innocent and are doing right thing while they themselves are evil inside. I saw this whole operation from my home. There were lots of gun fires and blasts for like 5-10 minutes. The bird didn't crash by itself. It was shot down. I went there and even saw the ashes few days later. The place is called Abbott-Abad and its not 45 minutes drive from Islamabad. I Have a 1500 CC Honda civic and it takes me at least 2 hours. We speak Urdu not Arabic. As about this operation, I think its only a drama to show the people that USA has done it finally. Foolish Americans can believe their government if they want to otherwise they should seek out for the truth on their own. Because thats all I can say to you, nothing that looks right, is actually right. It is twisted world esp since Zionists have gotten power over USA. This movie could have hit a lot of audience and they might be praising it but Oscar? puff.... no way. I can make a better movie if I have money.

Did Osama Bin Laden exist?

Author: twayburn-767-267763 from Houston, Texas
2 January 2015

Given the probable false-flag nature of 9-11 as a justification for new predatory imperialism in the Middle East and subversion of the Constitution at home, it is likely that Osama Bin Laden did not exist. Thus, the film is at best propaganda and possibly pure falsehood - certainly not art. If he existed as a spokesperson, he is easily replaced. If he was an actual person wielding power, there is an endless line of thugs to replace him. My guess is that he was a fictional character played by an actor. If the government were forthright, they would have provided reasonably believable proof that the dead man - if there was one - at least looked like the actor in the videos.

Kathryn Bigelow has done it again!!!

Author: muchsmile from United States
15 January 2013

She made a sub-standard movie and gained recognition that the movie did not deserve. How she manages to pull that off two movies in a row, I have no clue. No character development and plausible storytelling. Your main character who is supposed to be a 'killer from Washington' does nothing but standing around. She is a diligent, hard-working agent, but that is just like the next guy in the movie. Her female co-worker doesn't like her in one scene, and they are the best friend the next scene. Her male co-worker doesn't respect her one scene and become her faithful friend who will pull strings and travel to Saudi just to get her some phone number. I am not saying that can't happen over few years of working together, but the plausible storytelling would tell us how such a tight relationship came about.

Junior analyst like her meeting a senior officials and giving one-liner with profanity or writing how many days they are doing nothing on the windows may work nice to decorate your heroine as a bad-A right before she raids the villain's house and kill 200 men with her bare hands in 90s action flick. But if you wanna pass as an artistically well-made movie inspired by true events that shaped our way of life, you should take this movie making seriously and try to portray our men and women in clandestine service and their working environment in a bit more accurate manner. Just as people served in a military were disappointed in the implausibility of movie "The Hurt Locker", this movie passes as an average drama mixed with a bit of an action and a boredom. It probably doesn't deserve 1 star, but it was placed to offset higher stars it doesn't deserve.

such a worst depiction of Pakistan

Author: Namrah Erum from Pakistan
27 February 2015

being very truthful, i have watched another worst movie,totally wrongly depicted Pakistan. In fact, i can prove, that this movie has been shot in India, instead of Pakistan. Producer even didn't do a very basic homework for this movie for the culture of Pakistan. We don't speak Arabic, not all the men wear a big turbine, not all the women wear a shuttle-cock Burqa. Urdu is our national language. and last but not the least, our sign boards on the roads are in Urdu or English, not in Hindi. Please stop showing this worst picture of our country. Everyone knows, who is behind the anarchy and chaos in Pakistan. and we have the best intelligence and army, we don't need foreign forces to carry on operations in our country. really a worst production ever.

This film will not help to make a better world. No...

Author: e-abecassis from Czech Republic
20 January 2013

The only question I have in me is: Is this movie done to shock and ask why America is spiting on human rights? or is it to justify it? Technically the movie is fine and the actors good as it succeeded to make me dislike them. It is a pity that the message is so unclear. Ah no yes ... message is torture helped us to fight evil...

Shocking... leaving a lot of questions to me. Disgusting display and pseudo "justification" of human rights violation... poor world. IF this film depicts reality these people should be prosecuted in Nuremberg... I was used to movies without scenario. But this has a scenario and it follows real event I am afraid.

As a conclusion, as showing usage of torture getting result without highlighting the immorality and illegality of torture, I unfortunately imagine this film will "justify" torture in the eyes of younger audience. I have read very hard and justified reviews here.

This film will not help to make a better world. No...

A winning team for a CIA narrative

Author: hellhigh from France
24 January 2013

Mrs. Bigelow is obsessed with obsession. Blue Steel, Point Break, the Hurt Locker, now Zero Dark Thirty. The background of the story changes, but the story remains the same. Behind different faces, the same obsessive character. The obsession portrayed in her films actually is quite simplistic and straightforward, but anyhow, in our time her "oeuvres" are considered as deep, realistic, and arty. After an adrenaline fix come the inevitable frustration and emptiness of living, Mrs. Bigelow shows it to us over and over again; her hero has a conniving streak in him/her, but a hero nevertheless. She's so focused on her obsessed character, it's easy for her to claim that the Iraq war film she made was apolitical, and ZDT, a political thriller, has no political agenda.

Mr. Boal is a journalist. When he begins to write stories for the big screen, we praise his "journalistic approach", and we can easily forget that, as most journalists these days in the US, Mr. Boal is an embedded journalist.

Unlike the Hurt Locker, which, by opening with a quote from Chris Hedges, gives a false impression of an antiwar movie, ZDT is at least honest. At the very beginning it gives us a warning:

"Based on first-hand accounts of actual events"

Aka what CIA told us and what CIA wants you to see.

The decade-long war on terror seen through a CIA agent's eyes, the whole film is shaped into a CIA narrative. As Mrs. Bigelow wrote in her LA Times article, defining ZDT's raison d'être:

"we should never discount and never forget the thousands of innocent lives lost on 9/11 and subsequent terrorist attacks. We should never forget the brave work of those professionals in the military and intelligence communities who paid the ultimate price in the effort to combat a grave threat to this nation's safety and security."

How many times do you hear this from a CIA/Pentagon/WH spokesperson?

Yes never discount and never forget the victims of 9/11, we heard their voices; we saw the London bus bombing survivors bloody faced, eager to share their story. But we can well forget hundreds of thousands innocent civilians killed by US forces in the past ten years, not single one of them had a place in this film. We saw angry Pakistanis gathered in front of American embassy, jumping like savages. But we would not see those CIA drone strikes, bombing Pakistani wedding, killing women and children. "They hate us for our freedom!" we saw Mayor Bloomberg repeat Bush's line. Yes never forget the brave work of those professionals in the CIA, they worked their ass out torturing terrorists, what a psychological trauma it would be watching so many naked men every day? But we can certainly forget there was also innocent people got kidnapped, tortured by these brave professionals. Forget torture is a war crime, we got Ben Laden.

"Those of us who work in the arts know that depiction is not endorsement." Mrs. Bigelow defends her film in her LA Times piece. No Mrs. Bigelow, your film is not art. There's no art without truth.

Author: stargellmn from United States
19 January 2013

Knowing this movie was nominated for best picture, I was afraid that I was losing my mind after seeing it, since what I saw in the theater was: one dimensional characters being frustrated about not being able to do anything, inter-cut with a newsreel about current events, followed a ridiculously overdone operation to kill a couple people in a house.

No doubt this is a difficult story to tell dramatically, since it's about people who are doing a job that is passive by nature. But what was striking is how completely devoid it was of character. Courtroom dramas trade in the same stock, but even the most pedestrian episode of Boston Legal or LA Law contain more compelling characters than anyone in this movie.

And most movies about real events overcome the inherent story problems by provoking thought in the audience about the events themselves. What they lack in dramatic momentum, they make up for in unsettling questions. But it was amazing how completely empty this film was of anything resembling a question about what was going on. It was as if Kathryn Bigelow thought she was just "presenting reality" to the audience.

In 50 years, people are going to look back at this movie in the same way that we look at the jingoistic WWII Hollywood features now - as empty fare designed to prop up our fragile national psyche. Maybe that's what people need right now. But let's not pretend it's a quality film.

Horrible Research Done

Author: Sabrina Portman
6 January 2014

I am probably barking up the wrong tree here, but what kind of ultimate crap is this? Five minutes in and I was angry already. Is this movie supposed to justify the torture under Bush and Obama's command? That dude with the curls was a total douche bag, a psychopath. Torture a man one day, offer him a cigarette the next. That's not 'work', that's psychopathy and it should not be justified in a lame *ss movie.

Oh right, yeah, Pakistanis don't speak Arab.

The makers of these movie never did any proper research. They just asked the government, made notes, and went from there. Excellent research, right. First hand accounts, right! The worst part is that people believe this cow dung. So I guess Pakistan is next on the invasion list? Or is it Syria after all? Or maybe Iran? Hmmm!!! Last but not least, what are Mercutio and that Cool Guy With the Eye Brows doing in this crap movie?

Page 2 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]