Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Page 1 of 46:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Good Tales Be Told By Dead Men

Author: Muhammad_ND from Iraq
1 June 2017

After the ordeal of On Stranger Tides comes a sequel that sets sails in a truly amazing and beautiful fashion.

First off the film is a great send up compared to the weakest link in the series, On Stranger Tides. The cast, effects, and story line are great. The film as a whole is amazing.

Once again we get Johnny Depp as the ever funny and intoxicated Captain Jack Sparrow. His performance is hilariously outrageous. He is very good and funny within the film. Unlike his performance in Stranger Tides his acting a characterization of the titular captain seems to have great passion and not the feeling of a called in performance.

Again my personal favorite character returns to the 5th film is Geoffrey Rush as the amazingly interesting Captain Hector Barbossa. Within the Hector still rides high as the captain at the helm of the Queen Ann's Revenge. When we meet up with him in the film he has become very wealthy and rich from trade and knocking off ships. He then joins a false alliance with the films hardcore villain, Captain Salazar. Rush's performance as the titular captain is great and very touching. A sad note for many including me is that this is barbossa's last appearance in the series. He dies towards the end of the film, in a very courageous and brave manor, trying to save his long lost daughter Carina Smith, played by Kaya Scodelario.

Next We get are new villain, Captain Salazar, played by Javier Bardem. Bardem's performance as the tortured Captain Salazar is one for the ages. His performance is gut renchingly creepy and at the same time sympathetic in a dark sort of way. His story goes like this, he was a might Spanish general who hunted and killed thousands of pirates across the sea. During one of his showdowns he was confronted by a very young (Thanks to great CGI) Jack Sparrow. He is then tricked by Jack and his ship is sent into the Devil's Triangle where he and his crew are cursed to stay forever, or at least until Jack screws up and let's them free.

Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan return for a very brief time span in this entry but their presence is very well known. Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom return as their titular characters from the previous installments. Will, now five years after 16 years after he became the captain of the Flying Dutchman is covered in barnacles and coral, still not as bad as old fish face, Davy Jones. Keira Knightley shows up towards the climax of the movie where here and will can finally reunite again after the trident of Poseidon is broken and all of the curses in the see are destroyed. Though they are in the film for a very brief time frame their presence is quite uplifting and good, a true treat would be to see them have bigger roles in up incoming installments.

Are new characters are Brenton Thwaites and of course Kaya Scodelario as the two young leads of the film. Thwaite's plays Henry Turner, the son of Will and Elizabeth, who in the film is sixteen. Within the film, he wants to free his father from the dreaded curse of being bound to the Dutchman. In doing so he needs the trident of Poseidon. Thwaite's plays Henry in a very natural way. He seems in place in the film and does a very good job. Then we have Kaya Scodelario as Carina Smith. Smith is a women of science. She believes in the simple and factual way of life. Later in the film we learn that she is the daughter of Barbossa, who had her at a very young age along time ago. Their relationship, Geoffrey Rush's and Kaya Scodelario's is very sweet and subtle. through the film you can feel Barbossa's pain of knowing who his daughter is and her not knowing who her father is. Scodelario plays Carina superbly and is one the new standout performances.

On a minor charter level we have a new British antagonist, General Scarfeild played by the brilliant and underrated Australian actor David Whenham. Though in the film for a short period, Scarfeild is an interesting charter and chews the scenes he is in. Another new charter is the films new voodoo witch played by Golihifteh Farahani. In the film she is the friend of Barbossa and give him valuable information. She is creepy and interesting as her character.

From a film making stand point, the film looks great. The colors in the film are magnificent, the ships and sea faring parts are extraordinary, and the special effects are freaking amazing, Salazar and his crew are beautiful in a creepy dead rotted pirate way. The two new directors did a very good job, way better then Rob Marshall directing On Stranger Tides.

On an overall look, Pirate of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales is an amazing film. The acting is spectacular. The Visuals are splendid and the story is very impressive. I loved the film, my one complaint would be that Barbossa Dies. He was my favorite character in the series. Well, anyways, the film was a great fun-filled ride and i personally can't wait until the next one.

Rest in Peace Captain Barbossa, until we meet again!

Two-Peg legs up!

Jack Sparrow Returns!

Author: mikenontonmulu from Indonesia
25 May 2017

Finally a Pirates of the Caribbean movie that I felt quite at par with the original one. I felt in this movie, the elements of entertainment were quite abundant. Unlike in the 4th installment, I think this one is funnier, more thrilling and gave the sense of happiness at the end. This time,, the movie was not solely telling the story of Jack Sparrow. Instead the other characters, especially Henry and Carina were given quite a lot screen time. It was nice to see Jack Sparrow's charm and wit plus his insistence of helping other people.

This movie provided some background story of Jack while he was young, which was very interesting to see. The movie was filled with lots of fun and laughter but also few brief touching moments. The story was good and there were some surprises too. As a high budget movie, the movie was filled with very good special effects (some done by the Industrial Light Magic). I totally loved the effects of the deads (Salazar's crews), his ship and of course the very cool special effects at the end.

I also felt that the movie did not have any dull moment. From beginning till the end, there were always something interesting to see. My wife and I were entertained throughout the whole movie which was having a duration of a little over 2 hours. Amazingly, due to the sense of excitement, my wife was able to hold going to the bathroom till finished. I guess she forgotten about it while watching.

Actually, even though I looked forward to see this movie, I was a bit skeptical at first about whether this one would be good enough. I felt that the 4th one was a little bit dull, and also a bit forced. The story for that one did not feel strong enough and certainly did not give a lot of impression. But this one really felt it was worthy of giving another sequel after this. Especially if you wait till the very end, after the end-credit scene, where we were given something interesting to ponder. Might be the potential story for the sequel? Perhaps if this one is successful enough.

I believe this one really worth to see. I am happy to see Johnny Depp in this movie which I hope would be a commercial success for him. Since his past few movies were unfortunately not really successful ones. Maybe people grew tired of his acting as unusual characters. So if you are looking for something fun, light, interesting movie with funny charming pirate and treasure hunt story, you should definitely watch this one. I am confident you would be entertained like my wife and I were.

For my complete review, pls have a look in michaelnontonmulu.blogspot.co.id

Oh My God I Am So Effing Disappointed I Cannot Believe What I Have Just Seen

Author: Will Wineinger
28 May 2017

(Gonna try not to cuss) I will start by saying I was/am fanatical about all three of the first ones. Yes the original is still the best, but the second is almost every damn bit as good. The plot was creative enough that it felt necessary, the writing was on par with the first, and Davy Jones is SO freaking good oh my god he is literally my favorite villain of all time (save for Agent Smith). The third one has its flaws (though I really can't think of any besides Keira Knightley's acting being occasionally over the top), but as a whole it's a WONDERFUL movie. Like sweet Jesus, Hans Zimmer's freaking score for that movie alone is goddamn legendary. And as a result I totally bought into the romance between Will & Elizabeth and really just felt an emotional connection to the whole series because of it (much like the emotion Howard Shore's music invokes for LotR). But what makes the third one so impressive is how well it handles ALL of that crazy plot while still introducing great new sh*t like the Brethren Court.

But I'm not here to talk about how great the original trilogy was. Odds are, most of you liked them too. What I want to talk about briefly before I tear Dead Men Tell No Tales to shreds, is On Stranger Tides. From what I gather, the fourth installment was/is NOT very popular. I like it. And I'll tell you why. While it didn't have the same epic sense of scale and adventure and romance and everything that made the first three so great, IT STILL HAD GOOD WRITING. It was clever, and witty, and funny as ever. And this is because Ted & Terry were still writing them, not FRICKING Jeff Nathanson. OMFG I'll get to him later. I would urge you though to go back and give On Stranger Tides another chance, especially if you've now seen the fifth installment. I think you'll find that even though it doesn't quite hold up against the first three it still FEELS like a Pirates of the Caribbean, and for all the reasons that Dead Men Tell No Tales did not, and here they are:

1) Johnny Depp has completely lost it. It's like he forgot how to play Jack Sparrow. There were seriously times watching him when I thought he was more Mad Hatter than he was Jack Sparrow. And it's so sad to watch. The old Jack was an idiot sure, but he was always clever, he was always suave, always cool. In this he's just silly. It's embarrassing. I'm serious when I say he acts like the Mad Hatter, you'll see what I mean. In the fourth one he at least still felt like Jack Sparrow.

2) Zimmer's so called "protege" Geoff Zanelli is so forgettable. I was actually trying to listen for his music but the only times the music stood out was when he was rehashing Zimmer's themes. And some of you may be like *sissy voice "oh that's all Zimmer did was rehash Badelt's themes". BISH PLEASE. Not only did he make Badelt's original theme sound even better, he introduced so many new ones (Jack's theme, Davy Jones' theme, Will & Elizabeth's theme). Even On Stranger Tides added a fun new Spanish twist to the old stuff.

3) Salazar, Henry, & Carina are also all completely forgettable. They're worse than Blackbeard (who I actually quite liked), Philip, and Syrena. There is hardly ANY character development for them and what little there was felt SO forced. I feel terrible for them (especially Thwaites and Bardem) because they're not bad actors (Bardem is actually a fantastic actor) but they just got saddled with one of the WORST freaking scripts of all time, which brings me to my final and primary complaint with the fifth installment.

4) JEFF NATHANSON IS CANCER. I mean my biggest (only) concerns from the start (because let's be honest the trailer's gave NO hint that the movie would be this bad) were the fact that Zimmer wasn't composing and that JEFF NATHANSON, the idiot who ruined Indiana Jones, was writing it, but I NEVER thought he could have F'd up this movie, not as badly as he did. Like, the movie had SO much going for it. Salazar could have been another great villain to put alongside Jones and Barbossa, but he was totally wasted with minimal and poor dialogue. Carina Smith, a female astronomer, could have been a GREAT female character! And her romance with Henry could have been done BEAUTIFULLY! Instead, what did we get? Well, I won't spoil it for you but I will say there is one of the most forced, predictable, and painstakingly banal twists I've ever seen in a movie regarding her character.

So, as I said, I absolutely LOVED the first three, and I really did like the fourth one. Enough that I was very excited about what they could do with the next one (the fifth one). All my friends said the franchise was dead but I maintained that the fifth installment had the potential to be amazing (which it did). And I waited SIX GODDAMNED YEARS for this fifth one. And it, was just, god, awful. So bad that I actually now don't want to see another installment, and I will honestly probably never watch it again because it's so bad that it almost taints my love for the first four.

I tried to think of reasons to give it more than the lowest possible rating, any reason. And ALL I could think of was the visual quality that the two Norwegian directors brought to it, so good for them, I give the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean a whopping two stars.

Thank you. This has been my angrily hastened unedited review of Dead Men Tell No Tales.

I am a fan don't ask me.

Author: kocalkuzey from Istanbul, Turkey
27 May 2017

I was going to give a 10 simply due to opening scene but then movie started to slow a little bit.Also, unnecessarily, the stone lady on the head of the ship started to jump ship to ship and try to hunt Jack with a giant stone spear,in a sudden.Nonetheless, I will surely watch this movie again. Seeing Jack moving around is always worth watching the whole movie.So it is a smiling 8.

Fun!

Author: petarmatic from Sarajevo B&H
29 May 2017

I loved it! Yes, it is made for the family audiences but it really kept me going for two hours! It is an action filled adventure on the high seas from the times when Britannia ruled the waves. It has it all! Action, pirates, sailors, ghosts and what not, but it really is entertaining! You have no other option but to take your kids to this one, you will not be sorry.

I especially liked Mr. Bardem as Captain Salazar, his acting is a little bit better then the rest but every actor gave hundred percent for this film and it shows!

Since this is my review 400 for IMDb.com I have to take an opportunity to thank staff at the Multiplex Cinema City Sarajevo for being generally kind and professional. Not to forget Meeting Point Cinema as well. I also want to thank IMDb.com staff for letting MOST of my reviews pass.

I miss the old Jack.

Author: Henrik Haugen from Norway
23 May 2017

The fifth installment of the Pirates-series is by all means a step up from the fourth. In all film-series, when a sequel is released it's mandatory to compare it to the best one - which in this case arguably everyone agrees is the first one. That may be unfair, but it's the reality. Now.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge does give us some spectacular moments. The visual effects really is astonishing, and some of the scenes is beyond anything I have ever seen before. That's impressing. But that's not why I like Pirates of the Caribbean. What I expect (hope) from a Pirates-film is elegant and witty dialog, compelling sea- battles and Jack Sparrow on fire. And this last bit I think is the biggest reason why this one fails to deliver.

In my opinion, Johnny Depp has lost his way as captain Jack. And I think that's natural, after all, it's been 13 years since he first portrait the character. He's gotten older and that really shows. This, combined with a really poor script, regarding Jack at least, makes it all fall apart. Half the time he's completely drunk (really drunk, not just usual Jack-tipsy) and half the time he tells bad jokes which really is beneath a genius character like Jack Sparrow.

The film starts on a positive note. I had good hopes that it could go somewhere, but mid- way through the story starts to split up and it didn't really have a good rhythm to it. In addition I think there are a lot of characters that just don't do anything to the story or adds humor or dynamic.

The decision to bring back Orlando Bloom to play Will Turner is fundamentally a good one, but I'm so disappointed with he's involvement in the film. It seems Disney only took him back to promote the film and lure old fans back for more. If he's to be involved, he should have a major role.

Javier Bardem does a good job as villain, but nothing I will remember him by.

All in all, I would say that I am disappointed. I didn't have huge expectations to begin with, but where I thought the film would deliver, it just didn't. Basically it's a film for the technical wizards to show how much they can do in terms of visual effects , and they can do a lot. It's just not what I want.

Absolutely brilliant and surprising

Author: Mohammad Talha from Pakistan
7 July 2017

I am a huge fan of Pirates of Caribbean franchise. I was desperately waiting for this 5th installment (Salazar revenge/Dead men tell no tails). I watched it in IMAX 3D. The movie is full of actions, adventures and there are a lot of surprises and you will not keep your eyes away even for a min. This franchise has some of the perfect special effect and CGI. Every character in the movie is referenced well and Jack is always ruling the sea. You are aware of the origin of Henry in the movie from the trailer that he is will turner son but you are not aware of the relation between carina and captain barbossa. That was just amazing and emotional as well. While watching I was like OMG what is going to happen next many times. It was very fun to watch. So far the best movie for year 2017. And I don't agree with the critics and a low rating on rotten tomatos. If you enjoyed and remember the movie as a memory then it is worth watching. 10/10 for story, effects, actions and comedy. Now waiting for its 6th installment.

A below average retread of previous pirates films

Author: alindsay-al from United Kingdom
31 May 2017

After not really caring for the last pirates of the Caribbean film I didn't have high expectations for this movie but I went and saw it and I was right to have these low expectations. The premise of the film sees the return of captain jack sparrow as he leads an expedition for the Trident of Poseidon while on the run from an old enemy. Johnny depp has become known for the role of jack sparrow and I think when in that character he usually delivers his best, that was until this film. He has some of the charisma and jack nuances in his performances that makes him entertaining, but this character is a shell of his former self. This is the least funny he has ever been, the least charming he has been and I ended up feeling like he phoned in this performance quite a bit. The supporting cast is pretty large but I will go over the main ones, Salazar played by Javier bardem is the main villain in this film and I thought he was a pretty decent villain. He is a little hard to understand at times but, he is pretty menacing in this film and I liked his back story that makes him also a little sympathetic but then he is menacing and it adds to his performance. Geoffrey rush is back as hector barbosa in this film and like always he is great, I wasn't the biggest fan of some of the things done with his character but rush always gives a fun charismatic performance that does make me smile. However, we get to the new characters played by Brendon thwaites and kaya scodelario who are both completely wooden and lacking. I didn't buy there chemistry at all and I didn't like the involvement of lore to try to make Them interesting because they really weren't. The story is very jumbled and a bit all over the place, similar to stranger tides there is just too many people going after this artifact that you don't even remember them all. The Salazar plot and trident plot feels like two different movies and the meshing just really didn't work. The script has a couple of laughs in it I can't deny that I laughed enough for passable. However, there was a lot of misses in this script with this possibly being the least funny of the films and definitely the film with the least drama and heart in it. The style of this film has some of the pirates action scenes that are very enjoyable especially towards the beginning of the film. But as the film progresses the action felt a bit hollow as I didn't really care about any of the characters. Overall this is the weakest pirates film in my opinion and unless you are a big fan of this franchise like me it isn't really worth a watch.

For the love of god stop this.

Author: Dean Carlyle from Washington, England
26 May 2017

Please for the love of god stop now. How is it possible for these to continue to get worse, and even more pertinently, why do I continue to see them. For the first time in a very long while I considered walking out of a film, and that was after about 15 minutes. I was bored stupid. They try to continually up the action set pieces in this franchise but just manage to make them more stupid, bombastic and confusing with muddied visuals, terrible pacing and stupidity from the characters. And some director really needs to get hold of Johnny Depp and get him to actually act and not merely caricature his original creation of the first pirates just upping the ticks and foibles. And as for the acting of the rest of the cast, Jesus. Even good actors seem to feel the need to Depp it up in this series, and the two new leads were so wooden they didn't need ships to cross the seas. Add to all that a god awful script full of pathetic dialogue and character motivation with a pee poor story arc and this turd may finally sink the franchise. Here's hoping.

I left before the film was done I was that bored

Author: Private from England
1 June 2017

The only good bit was David Wenham. Literally. And that is only because he is hot, lol.

Jack was so drunk and lost that I kept wondering if Johnny Depp had actually suffered some kind of a stroke, and had then continued to act as Jack regardless.

Geoffrey Rush, an amazing actor, seemed like he was humouring the script and reading lines like he was back in a children's play. There was none of Barbossa's old spirit.

Salazar could have been a sensational villain, had the direction been as good as the first three. However he just sounded like 13 year old trying to look and sound epic on You Tube, making a custom film.

This one was even worse than the last. I hated the 4th film because of it's poor direction, but at least there was a slight spark of character, no matter how distant. This one had nothing.

I cannot believe that the film was 2hrs long. I left before it was up, I got so bored and fidgety that I just couldn't carry on watching it that was how garbage it was. This is coming from a massive POTC fan.

Page 1 of 46:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]