IMDb > "Storage Wars" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Storage Wars" More at IMDbPro »

Storage Wars is FAKED

Author: jimdavisa from United States
5 June 2012

I know for a fact that SW is full of crap, I went to a few auctions and over heard Barry talking to a camera person last month, Barry is not a collector at all he doesn't even buy the storage units the producers pay it for him, he is just a friend of the producer tom beers, I was so upset to hear this, I stayed after the auction and they staged the 'so called item' that Hester found, they send the actor off and make him come back after they plant it...WTF!!!!....and to top this off all the actors get PAID for each episode, apparently thousands....stay behind after the auction and you can see how they fake it after the auction finishes....SOOOOO mad at the show for lying...I am never watching this again!!!!!

This show is not real but FAKE

Author: Mustang92 from United States
4 January 2013

I'll be honest with you. I really, really enjoyed this show. I thought, like Pawn Stars or other similar shows, this show was real. That is, the items found in the lockers were real. The on-camera interviews that the cast give? I think any astute person can tell a lot of that is scripted, and the "conflicts" between the various characters are scripted, as many reality shows do. But I thought the *finds* in the lockers were real.

Given we now learn this hasn't been the case, through Dave Hester's lawsuit against the show and A&E, I feel severely cheated. If the producers wanted (or needed) to plant crap in lockers to be sure each episode had exciting things in it, then don't pretend these are real finds. Make up a different show. "Oddities in Beverly Hills" perhaps, where we travel to someone's home and pick through crap they put in their garage 30 years ago. Or whatever.

This is REALLY sleazy of the "Storage Wars" producers, and this is REALLY sleazy of A&E. I think maybe there should be more lawsuits against this show, besides Hester's...

Liked it at first ...

Author: SnoopyStyle
20 May 2014

I liked this show at the beginning. It has fascinating characters like the arrogant Dave Hester, the eccentric 'collector' Barry Weiss, the Sheets father and son, and young couple Brandi and Jarrod. There is an exciting bidding process. This is also a treasure hunt.

Now comes the problems. The first problem I noticed was the pumping up of the bids. It's exciting to bid higher and higher prices. The show fell into that trap. Once they started to bid higher, they can't seem to stop. The prices became ridiculous. Like an addict, the highs stop being exciting. It is such an obvious annoying setup that the bidding half of the show is now unwatchable.

The show was always prone to faking. The pieces were priced with questionable appraisals. The fact that the characters were paid by the show is not really news. Then planting pieces really blew up. I was willing to accept a few pieces, but the wide spread planting really hurts. It's obvious that things are rigged when every week, exactly 3 of the 4 teams get lockers while 1 team walks away empty handed. EVERY TIME.

The bidding process is now very boring. The characters are wearing a little thin. Dave Hester got booted for possibly complaining about planting of pieces. I still like to see the different buys whether planted or not. Overall, it's not the same anymore. It may have been a 7 at the beginning but it is no more than a 5 now and dropping.

The Truth Behind the Doors...Spoiler Alert

Author: waid2525 from Earth
28 April 2014

This is a typical reality show that presents a false reality. They bank on getting you hooked with the oh look what's in the box...CUT TO COMMERCIAL. The truth is Dave Hester one of the shows primary bidders has filed a lawsuit against the show for planting items in lockers because honestly the whole business is very boring they are even accused of paying for plastic surgery for one of the girls to add sex appeal and rigging the auctions. Seriously not making this up. The show is boring and obviously rigged and faked. They ruined what could have been a neat little series with the Reality Show shenanigans. Just thought you should know what you are really seeing.

Unrealistic Show

Author: glover-chris83 from Maryland
5 July 2013

After watching Auction Hunters i looked for more similar type shows.

This show is about a couple of terrible auction hunters that spend more time overbidding each other than making any real money. I'd love to see what they really made on the sales rather than over estimated values.

This show is about what you could expect on world series of poker. Only entertainment is watching this guy Dave be a jackass. I would have love to have seen them stick it too him by letting the units go to him after he bids it up instead of overpaying for junk units. i gave up after 6 episodes.

I would advise anyone to watch Auction Hunters. Those guys were very particular about how much a unit might be worth by how much they could actually see. It is dumb to by a unit and pay 1700 with hope factor and "had a feeling".

Nice Subway Ad...Bad TV Show

Author: Dick Trickle from United States
2 August 2015

What's with the Subway plug in the beginning of every other episode now? Season 1 and 2 were good, but it's been downhill from there. Dave was one of the best characters along with Barry.

But now what's with the barbie girl brunette? She can't even act. She clearly has no idea what she's doing and isn't in the business. So yea let's make up for it by making a bunch of annoying voices. At least be more subtle about being a plant. That doesn't help.

Overall this show has become overly scripted and fake, the characters have become increasing boring, dull and stupid, and finally made it's way onto the list of one of the worst "reality TV" shows ever.

It's fake, we get it

Author: Peter Thomassen from Denmark
13 March 2013

Guys, calm down. It's a reality show, of course it's fake. Even though it's fake, it's extremely entertaining. You always want to see what they find, even though the producers planted it. How fun would it be if they didn't find anything in the lockers? It would be a bad show, like every other reality program that isn't fake. If you can even name one. Overall it's an enjoyable show, nothing too special, but i'd say it's worth your time. The producers did a great job of finding characters to appear in the show, for example: Barry, Jarod and Dave. It's always fun watching them bid, or even cheering a bit yourself in your living room. It's a good show that will keep you hooked at least a season.

Kudos to the casting director

Author: geraldinewimsey from California
12 May 2017

It must have taken a focused and intense effort to come up with a cast of characters who are so convincingly rude, selfish, crude, tasteless, mean-spirited, arrogant and generally miserable human beings. In the first season or two, the programme was interesting and even amusing on occasion. It has gone precipitously downhill from there. Spouses and business partners insult and demean each other at every turn, occasionally taking a break to ridicule their competitors. And that man whose only line is "aaayup" to bid...needs to find a new schtick. It has become nearly impossible to like ANY of these people. Is that the point?

They literally do what they want whenever...

Author: intrepidami from United States
27 April 2017

... a core group of show bidders seemingly win 98% of all lockers. The tallying up of what is found is ludicrous! Whatever these people feel like saying stuff is worth. Rolls of T-paper I get $500 for those. Lately they stop adding up a locker as soon as something interesting pops out, with upwards of 90% of the rest of the unit not even looked at. This makes a lot of people suspect all the other stuff in the unit was a false front(200 boxes filled with air) However, I can remember when con man Barry allegedly bought a unit full of antiques and didn't go very far into the unit before he stopped appraising the value of stuff. But you could see a bunch of high end things he never bothered to mention.

It just happened again in the most recent episode with Daryl Sheets winning a locker full of gun stuff. They appraised about 4 boxes of stuff and you could see there was another 75 boxes! and then they acted like nothing was in the unit at the end of the show in the final tally except for a trap.

Is it faked? Most certainly. Are the appraisals legit? Most certainly not! They keep finding all this non antique stuff in used condition and then they go to some place that sort of deals with that item and they keep getting appraisals near the retail new price. It's ridiculous! On the same show a Re-pro coffee roaster was appraised for $500 that's literally hard to sell for $50. I thoroughly believe all these finds are "product placements" giving the show an excuse to go to showcase businesses that pay to be on the show! I'd like to point out something to viewers. There aren't big surprises in these storage auctions. Nobodies secretly driving a Maserati into one and the facility doesn't know its there! They have security cameras that they simply roll back when people default and then fast forward that particular camera. Small stuff in boxes, sure but not the big things they keep portraying.

storage wars

Author: larrync-27361
21 April 2017

As long as DAVE is in them I'm not interested he is just big asshole. Used to like this show way back when brandy ,jarrod, barry, mary,darrel now the new ones really suck there awful. Especially with Dave back. Bring back very one you had at beginning minus dave. Dave ruins this whole show with his smart comments. Everyone should know that the lockers are fixed it's like wrestling it's for entertainment, and when Dave is there it's not entertaining. GOODBYE STORAGE WARS IT'S OVER.