IMDb > "Storage Wars" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Storage Wars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Storage Wars" More at IMDbPro »

Storage Wars is FAKED

Author: jimdavisa from United States
5 June 2012

I know for a fact that SW is full of crap, I went to a few auctions and over heard Barry talking to a camera person last month, Barry is not a collector at all he doesn't even buy the storage units the producers pay it for him, he is just a friend of the producer tom beers, I was so upset to hear this, I stayed after the auction and they staged the 'so called item' that Hester found, they send the actor off and make him come back after they plant it...WTF!!!!....and to top this off all the actors get PAID for each episode, apparently thousands....stay behind after the auction and you can see how they fake it after the auction finishes....SOOOOO mad at the show for lying...I am never watching this again!!!!!

This show is not real but FAKE

Author: Mustang92 from United States
4 January 2013

I'll be honest with you. I really, really enjoyed this show. I thought, like Pawn Stars or other similar shows, this show was real. That is, the items found in the lockers were real. The on-camera interviews that the cast give? I think any astute person can tell a lot of that is scripted, and the "conflicts" between the various characters are scripted, as many reality shows do. But I thought the *finds* in the lockers were real.

Given we now learn this hasn't been the case, through Dave Hester's lawsuit against the show and A&E, I feel severely cheated. If the producers wanted (or needed) to plant crap in lockers to be sure each episode had exciting things in it, then don't pretend these are real finds. Make up a different show. "Oddities in Beverly Hills" perhaps, where we travel to someone's home and pick through crap they put in their garage 30 years ago. Or whatever.

This is REALLY sleazy of the "Storage Wars" producers, and this is REALLY sleazy of A&E. I think maybe there should be more lawsuits against this show, besides Hester's...

Liked it at first ...

Author: SnoopyStyle
20 May 2014

I liked this show at the beginning. It has fascinating characters like the arrogant Dave Hester, the eccentric 'collector' Barry Weiss, the Sheets father and son, and young couple Brandi and Jarrod. There is an exciting bidding process. This is also a treasure hunt.

Now comes the problems. The first problem I noticed was the pumping up of the bids. It's exciting to bid higher and higher prices. The show fell into that trap. Once they started to bid higher, they can't seem to stop. The prices became ridiculous. Like an addict, the highs stop being exciting. It is such an obvious annoying setup that the bidding half of the show is now unwatchable.

The show was always prone to faking. The pieces were priced with questionable appraisals. The fact that the characters were paid by the show is not really news. Then planting pieces really blew up. I was willing to accept a few pieces, but the wide spread planting really hurts. It's obvious that things are rigged when every week, exactly 3 of the 4 teams get lockers while 1 team walks away empty handed. EVERY TIME.

The bidding process is now very boring. The characters are wearing a little thin. Dave Hester got booted for possibly complaining about planting of pieces. I still like to see the different buys whether planted or not. Overall, it's not the same anymore. It may have been a 7 at the beginning but it is no more than a 5 now and dropping.

Unrealistic Show

Author: glover-chris83 from Maryland
5 July 2013

After watching Auction Hunters i looked for more similar type shows.

This show is about a couple of terrible auction hunters that spend more time overbidding each other than making any real money. I'd love to see what they really made on the sales rather than over estimated values.

This show is about what you could expect on world series of poker. Only entertainment is watching this guy Dave be a jackass. I would have love to have seen them stick it too him by letting the units go to him after he bids it up instead of overpaying for junk units. i gave up after 6 episodes.

I would advise anyone to watch Auction Hunters. Those guys were very particular about how much a unit might be worth by how much they could actually see. It is dumb to by a unit and pay 1700 with hope factor and "had a feeling".

The Truth Behind the Doors...Spoiler Alert

Author: waid2525 from Earth
28 April 2014

This is a typical reality show that presents a false reality. They bank on getting you hooked with the oh look what's in the box...CUT TO COMMERCIAL. The truth is Dave Hester one of the shows primary bidders has filed a lawsuit against the show for planting items in lockers because honestly the whole business is very boring they are even accused of paying for plastic surgery for one of the girls to add sex appeal and rigging the auctions. Seriously not making this up. The show is boring and obviously rigged and faked. They ruined what could have been a neat little series with the Reality Show shenanigans. Just thought you should know what you are really seeing.

Nice Subway Ad...Bad TV Show

Author: Dick Trickle from United States
2 August 2015

What's with the Subway plug in the beginning of every other episode now? Season 1 and 2 were good, but it's been downhill from there. Dave was one of the best characters along with Barry.

But now what's with the barbie girl brunette? She can't even act. She clearly has no idea what she's doing and isn't in the business. So yea let's make up for it by making a bunch of annoying voices. At least be more subtle about being a plant. That doesn't help.

Overall this show has become overly scripted and fake, the characters have become increasing boring, dull and stupid, and finally made it's way onto the list of one of the worst "reality TV" shows ever.

"I can sell this piece of junk for a million"

Author: AsifZamir from Canada
23 November 2013

LOL. I wouldn't be able to survive in this business. I'll overpay, and I won't be able to sell the junk I buy. I don't know how these people do it. They buy lockers and then claim they can sell "this chair for $200 and that table for $500." To who? Who is buying this and how do you make a profit when you have so much overhead. Anyway like I say, I wouldn't survive.

Storage Wars is a reality TV show that is about auctions that take place for storage lockers that can contain very valuable items. The buyers have a few minutes to take a look at the contents of the said locker and then the auction begins. In one episode a corpse was found of a woman whose husband had murdered her.

Storage Wars is an interesting series, once you start watching it becomes more addictive as you get to know the characters and pretty soon you are just itching to see what they have discovered and if their buys are good ones. I like watching Storage Wars to pique my interest as well as be entertained and often think of what items of value are out there just waiting to be discovered. Just please don't try buying your own storage locker.

It's fake, we get it

Author: Peter Thomassen from Denmark
13 March 2013

Guys, calm down. It's a reality show, of course it's fake. Even though it's fake, it's extremely entertaining. You always want to see what they find, even though the producers planted it. How fun would it be if they didn't find anything in the lockers? It would be a bad show, like every other reality program that isn't fake. If you can even name one. Overall it's an enjoyable show, nothing too special, but i'd say it's worth your time. The producers did a great job of finding characters to appear in the show, for example: Barry, Jarod and Dave. It's always fun watching them bid, or even cheering a bit yourself in your living room. It's a good show that will keep you hooked at least a season.

Fallen Giant

Author: jontyboy345 from london, england
8 August 2014

Two years ago I would say Storage Wars was my favourite TV show. The people in it- the junk- the unique items- Dan's distinctive auction style- everyone hated Dave- it was great. Yes its staged and scripted in parts but no-one cared. It was such a winning formula there have been numerous spin-offs and millionaires made in the process. However there is one key question- one big element to the show that can make or break it....are the lockers genuine or have they been tampered with pre-auction? Surely if items were placed in lockers for the show the show would be totally pointless, right? Well after Dave suggested that's how the show worked for me it was the final nail in the coffin. My thoughts before that were that they would film tons of auctions and only show the ones which had an interesting appraisable item in them. If it were to be the case where the appraisable item was actually planted in there- the show would have committed the cardinal sin- lying to the viewers about the whole point of the show. Dave is now back in Storage Wars- I assume to save it- and must have been given serious cash to do so, which he has said yuuup to. Its too late though. Even the biggest star and much copied format can't save it. My prediction: Storage Wars final show to be made in 2014. Watch this space

Storage Wars

Author: wlmiller78 from South Carolina
24 October 2011

I love this show! I would love it even more if Dave were not a part of it! Dave has the worst attitude of any person I have ever seen. For someone to deliberately want to affect someones livelihood is just pure devilish! Barry on the other hand is hilarious!! He makes us laugh on about every episode we watch! He would be SO much fun to hang out with. ;) We also like Brandy and Jarrod, they are in it for their business and to make a living, and it seems they enjoy the auction too. Darrell and his son make a good team, it's nice to know a father and son can work and enjoy their time together. I do have one question though, who comes up with how much they have made? For example when Dave said something was a certain price does it is even sell for that?? Thanks!