IMDb > "Storage Wars" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Storage Wars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Storage Wars" More at IMDbPro »

Storage Wars is FAKED

Author: jimdavisa from United States
5 June 2012

I know for a fact that SW is full of crap, I went to a few auctions and over heard Barry talking to a camera person last month, Barry is not a collector at all he doesn't even buy the storage units the producers pay it for him, he is just a friend of the producer tom beers, I was so upset to hear this, I stayed after the auction and they staged the 'so called item' that Hester found, they send the actor off and make him come back after they plant it...WTF!!!!....and to top this off all the actors get PAID for each episode, apparently thousands....stay behind after the auction and you can see how they fake it after the auction finishes....SOOOOO mad at the show for lying...I am never watching this again!!!!!

This show is not real but FAKE

Author: Mustang92 from United States
4 January 2013

I'll be honest with you. I really, really enjoyed this show. I thought, like Pawn Stars or other similar shows, this show was real. That is, the items found in the lockers were real. The on-camera interviews that the cast give? I think any astute person can tell a lot of that is scripted, and the "conflicts" between the various characters are scripted, as many reality shows do. But I thought the *finds* in the lockers were real.

Given we now learn this hasn't been the case, through Dave Hester's lawsuit against the show and A&E, I feel severely cheated. If the producers wanted (or needed) to plant crap in lockers to be sure each episode had exciting things in it, then don't pretend these are real finds. Make up a different show. "Oddities in Beverly Hills" perhaps, where we travel to someone's home and pick through crap they put in their garage 30 years ago. Or whatever.

This is REALLY sleazy of the "Storage Wars" producers, and this is REALLY sleazy of A&E. I think maybe there should be more lawsuits against this show, besides Hester's...

Liked it at first ...

Author: SnoopyStyle
20 May 2014

I liked this show at the beginning. It has fascinating characters like the arrogant Dave Hester, the eccentric 'collector' Barry Weiss, the Sheets father and son, and young couple Brandi and Jarrod. There is an exciting bidding process. This is also a treasure hunt.

Now comes the problems. The first problem I noticed was the pumping up of the bids. It's exciting to bid higher and higher prices. The show fell into that trap. Once they started to bid higher, they can't seem to stop. The prices became ridiculous. Like an addict, the highs stop being exciting. It is such an obvious annoying setup that the bidding half of the show is now unwatchable.

The show was always prone to faking. The pieces were priced with questionable appraisals. The fact that the characters were paid by the show is not really news. Then planting pieces really blew up. I was willing to accept a few pieces, but the wide spread planting really hurts. It's obvious that things are rigged when every week, exactly 3 of the 4 teams get lockers while 1 team walks away empty handed. EVERY TIME.

The bidding process is now very boring. The characters are wearing a little thin. Dave Hester got booted for possibly complaining about planting of pieces. I still like to see the different buys whether planted or not. Overall, it's not the same anymore. It may have been a 7 at the beginning but it is no more than a 5 now and dropping.

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com

Author: Tss5078 from United States
27 June 2012

Two years ago, A&E's Storage Wars came out of nowhere and quickly became one of the highest rated shows on cable. The show is extremely addictive and I watch it religiously, but why? Most people think it has something to with the mystery about what's behind the door or the hunt for buried treasure, as usual; I have a different take on things. The reason this show is as popular as is it, is the buyers themselves. Reality TV is about watching real people in real situations. We like to see people who are just like us, struggling to survive, fighting with people at work, etc. The cast of Storage Wars are people that we can relate to and more than that, they are interesting as hell. Every week I can't wait to see what Barry does, who Dave's gonna make mad, and what inappropriate thing Jarrod is going to say to his wife. I believe the show's popularity has little to do with what's behind the door. It's the unique and interesting cast that keeps us coming back for more. The truth is that doesn't matter if it's storage auction buyers, meter maids, or hand fisherman, what we want is people we like and can easily relate to in different situation both inside and out of the office, and Storage Wars provides that and then some.

Storage Wars

Author: wlmiller78 from South Carolina
24 October 2011

I love this show! I would love it even more if Dave were not a part of it! Dave has the worst attitude of any person I have ever seen. For someone to deliberately want to affect someones livelihood is just pure devilish! Barry on the other hand is hilarious!! He makes us laugh on about every episode we watch! He would be SO much fun to hang out with. ;) We also like Brandy and Jarrod, they are in it for their business and to make a living, and it seems they enjoy the auction too. Darrell and his son make a good team, it's nice to know a father and son can work and enjoy their time together. I do have one question though, who comes up with how much they have made? For example when Dave said something was a certain price does it is even sell for that?? Thanks!

The Truth Behind the Doors...Spoiler Alert

Author: waid2525 from Earth
28 April 2014

This is a typical reality show that presents a false reality. They bank on getting you hooked with the oh look what's in the box...CUT TO COMMERCIAL. The truth is Dave Hester one of the shows primary bidders has filed a lawsuit against the show for planting items in lockers because honestly the whole business is very boring they are even accused of paying for plastic surgery for one of the girls to add sex appeal and rigging the auctions. Seriously not making this up. The show is boring and obviously rigged and faked. They ruined what could have been a neat little series with the Reality Show shenanigans. Just thought you should know what you are really seeing.

Fallen Giant

Author: jontyboy345 from london, england
8 August 2014

Two years ago I would say Storage Wars was my favourite TV show. The people in it- the junk- the unique items- Dan's distinctive auction style- everyone hated Dave- it was great. Yes its staged and scripted in parts but no-one cared. It was such a winning formula there have been numerous spin-offs and millionaires made in the process. However there is one key question- one big element to the show that can make or break it....are the lockers genuine or have they been tampered with pre-auction? Surely if items were placed in lockers for the show the show would be totally pointless, right? Well after Dave suggested that's how the show worked for me it was the final nail in the coffin. My thoughts before that were that they would film tons of auctions and only show the ones which had an interesting appraisable item in them. If it were to be the case where the appraisable item was actually planted in there- the show would have committed the cardinal sin- lying to the viewers about the whole point of the show. Dave is now back in Storage Wars- I assume to save it- and must have been given serious cash to do so, which he has said yuuup to. Its too late though. Even the biggest star and much copied format can't save it. My prediction: Storage Wars final show to be made in 2014. Watch this space

It's fake, we get it

Author: Peter Thomassen from Denmark
13 March 2013

Guys, calm down. It's a reality show, of course it's fake. Even though it's fake, it's extremely entertaining. You always want to see what they find, even though the producers planted it. How fun would it be if they didn't find anything in the lockers? It would be a bad show, like every other reality program that isn't fake. If you can even name one. Overall it's an enjoyable show, nothing too special, but i'd say it's worth your time. The producers did a great job of finding characters to appear in the show, for example: Barry, Jarod and Dave. It's always fun watching them bid, or even cheering a bit yourself in your living room. It's a good show that will keep you hooked at least a season.

Storage Wars - a mix bag of reality and WWF

Author: sharon_sf from Israel
4 September 2014

Storage Wars is about buyers who buy storage units of people who couldn't afford to keep them or left them from any other reason.

the "rules of the show are :

1. each week 3 of 4 buyers will by unit, without seeing what's in them, beside how they look from the outside.

2. 1 will go home without buying anything.

3. they will all find some antiques, or valuable collectables, that were not expected to be find in the unit.

4. then they immediately get appraisal from an expert. usually that will find out that the finding worth a lot.

5. for the other items they find, they will appraisal them by themselves :

usually they will expect a profit that is 2 times , from the real price that they will sell it (if they sell it at all).

players : 2 typical rednecks (father + son), a weird collector (the shows clown), the young married couple (not really married), and the veteran mogul (the bad guy). there are more players but they are less significant.

the mvps : the collector : barry and the mogul : dave.

season 1 - 3 : all player present (the best years). season 4 - 5 (most of 5) the mogul left and was replaced by a fat German dude and is dumb wife. season 5 - the collector left to his own show - without the best players the show lost its fun and entertainment factor.

pro & cons : + entertainment and fun : season 1-3. - "salting" - the production is WWF the entire show take the credibility out of the reality.

We get it, it's fake but FUN

Author: proac_fan from Canada
4 July 2013

This show is a guilty pleasure. Of course you have to suspend belief to enjoy it. Who really thinks anyone would leave 300K worth of art in a storage locker but couldn't afford the small monthly fees? The locks are all brand spanking new and obviously just put on the lockers. The reason to watch, is the interaction between the "stars" on the show. Barry is always quick witted and hilarious. I love to see just what vehicle he'll drive to the next auction. Brandi is the eye candy. Hester is the heel everyone loves to hate. Darryl' is the not too bright anti-Hester. Not a fan of some of the newest additions but I still find myself watching this if I pass by it on the dial.