IMDb > Born to Race (2011) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Born to Race

Born to Race (V) More at IMDbPro »

Excellent for small budget film

Author: SeanDean from United States
23 September 2011

Better researched and more authentic than the first couple F&F movies, just less action.

I don't know where I found this movie, but I was expecting it to be terrible after reading the summary, yet it was surprisingly good. The acting was better than you get from half of the big studio releases lately, and despite the made-for-TV feel, and fairly predictable story, it all came together well didn't feel hokey or anything.

Even someone who knows a lot about cars can enjoy it because they apparently had some tech people involved who weren't idiots.

I gave it an 8 because it was way better than any attempt in this genre with a limited budget.

Great Movie but already done

Author: Slow-0 from United States
23 September 2011

I saw this movie on the cable video store and it caught my eye. I'm a car guy and have seen the Fast & Furious franchise movies amongst others. The movie starts off like F&F movie, in particular Tokyo Drift, with the LA Street Race scene. The kid ruins his life and makes a turn around, I'll leave it at that and you can get more from the synopsis.

What makes this movie great is they do use a mixture of Domestic and Import cars. The opening credits have one race with a late model mustang and late model Monte Carlo, which then has your imports. There are more scenes like that including a new 5.0, the last generation camaro, and some oldies, including a street race with a Belair and a Grand National. This Definitely something that does stand out from the other movies by not having just imports or having one single American muscle car.

Also another plus is the final scenes of the movie take place at the race strip, which in my opinion and through out this movie, is trying to get the underlying message that knuckleheads need to start taking this race scene back to the track instead of the streets.

Another point which no one has pointed out is the use of the 2011 Mustang in this movie. Older car buffs might see this. 20 yrs ago the, the competition was the Late Model 5.0 and the Buick Grand National, which are seen in this movie. The director does show that this rival lives on with the new 5.0 Mustang and now with the WRX Subaru. Just a little something to note, nothing to write home about.

Overall this movie is definitely worth renting or buying whether your a fan of the illegal race scene or fan of the F&F franchise. The movie holds its own and is not a let down like the Asylum movies "Street Racer" and "200 MPH"

OMG It's Diet Fast N Furious

Author: felixismyname from Oxford, England
16 September 2011

I've just finished watching this film and I am now going to put FnF5 on to purge my system of this Disney channel style film.

The plot takes hints of FnF - Toyko Drift , Kid gets caught racing by the cop's , mum's had enough and sends him off to live with his father , who he just happens to have not have seen for the last five years. The father is in this case an ex racer who blew it all and now sees his younger self in his son.

You then have your stereotype American high school with the cliché "bad guy" and his loyal goons. As per usual there is a girl who was with the bad guy and ends up with our hero ( Who is no Brian Walker no matter how hard they try ). A few twists and turns , an accident caused by sabotage and some self discovery mixed in with bonding with the father.

I'm going to stop there with the story and get into what these films should be about , and that's the cars and the racing. Now the race scenes are OK , but they lack the style and edge we have come to love with the FnF films. The hero's car , a very lovely 2004 Subaru Impreza "Hawk eye" is pretty cool and praise the lord the have the correct engine sound for it! The bad guy has a black 2011 Mustang , I mean common is this what they think as new and original?? It's the whole import v American V8 card being thrown down and played again "yawn".

To sum this film up , it lacks the depth and edge that FnF has been giving us for nearly 10 years , the actors are really B Movie standard , the script has come from a template from night school , so to sum it up , it's Diet Fast n Furious because all the good bits have been taken out and what we end up having is a disappointment and it tastes funny.

Born to race, but does it get a podium finish?

Author: dan_miller888 from Los Angeles, CA
7 May 2012

Ever since the mainstream success of 2001's "The Fast and the Furious", street racing movies have been a recurring subject for big and small film studios alike. Despite the relative popularity of movies in this vein, they tend to draw the ire of "gearheads" (or petrolheads, for those across the pond) due to their questionable representation of cars, car culture, racing, and automotive technology. Whether it be nonsensical techno-babble, or impossible-to-reconcile vehicle physics, there tends to be a deluge of blind idiot errors or silly oversights that annoy those of us whose hearts pump synthetic oil rather than blood.

No movie is wholly immune to such things, but thankfully, "Born to Race" averts the aforementioned TFATF-esque ludicrousness. The research has clearly been done when it comes to the techno-babble strewn throughout the film. Moreover, car culture and drag racing is more or less accurately represented where other movies fall flat. The American muscle cars shown aren't the typical triumvirate of Mustang, Camaro, and Charger/Challenger (though these are certainly featured within). A Buick Grand National plays a significant role in the film, and is a recurring sight throughout, and there are scenes exhibiting an Oldsmobile 442, Chevrolet Bel Air and Nova, and even the Lil' Red Express 1979 Dodge D150 drag truck. In summation, the cars, car jargon, and car culture has a greater, more accurate representation than most Hollywood racer films.

The other large failing of many street racing-genre films is the catastrophically canned acting the leads and support dole out. While the script is nothing short of generic high school hero stuff, the acting is of an unusually high caliber. Lead Joseph Cross, of "Running With Scissors" fame, delivers a solid, if slightly weedy performance, and the big bad bully, played by Brando Eaton, does well with what he's given to work with. My personal favorite character, the father of the protagonist, played by veteran John Pyper-Ferguson, puts forth an excellent effort, managing to be lovable, despicable, and humorous all at once.

Where other street racer movies are a complete mess of poor acting and Wikipedia knowledge, Born to Race manages a solid cinema experience for a fraction of the cost of the big boys. I would recommend this film to any street racing/drag racing aficionados, as well as anyone who likes a decent high school hero drama-type story.

None of this far fetched stuff!

Author: Tyson Smith
28 September 2011

Very good movie, read a lot of intriguing predicaments about how bad it was going to be, But decided to watch it anyway. Less action then Fast and Furious movies, but none of this far fetched stuff, It's pure Japanese vs classic muscle, Acting is surprisingly good, Cars are decent, I highly recommend this film, Gave it a 9 due its lack of some racing. Hope to see a sequel of some sort! Set in a high school environment, really good for Teenagers to young adults. The movie has a few thrilling street racing moments, but for a film with a significantly small budget, it's quite good. If you loved Fast and Furious franchise, you'll love this. The Tuner vs Muscle climax is very exciting!

A movie I was able to enjoy

Author: jjmonns from United States
27 May 2012

I have a hard time watching movies and TV shows anymore because of the facts are invented and the actors don't act like real people. I hated the Fast N furious movies because they weren't realistic at all. This movie might not have all the splash and dash but it still has a lot of good stuff that (as a person who has driven a WRX STI) I can see really happening. It is low budget and there is evidence of this, it also follows the same formula that nearly all movies follow but it is better than most. You can tell they went into great depths to keep the technical parts accurate and the details of sounds matching the cars were done well too. Many cars, such as the mustang and STI have VERY distinctive sounds and it was good to see that they matched them correctly. The story is good and the characters act like real human beings. For a "B" movie its better than most "A" movies.

movie is quite enjoyable although predictable

Author: ibebriguy from Canada
18 September 2011

You won't regret seeing this movie if you enjoy car racing and seeing bullies get their just due. I must admit I enjoyed this movie, although it followed the usual template of obnoxious young bullies, father who is "mean" in his son's eyes for not giving in to every little whim of his son,and teenage romance. The acting was not first rate, but passable. I would have liked to see more hard core car racing beyond mountainside twists and turns and drag strip straightaways. For example, the "drifting" in the parking garages in "Tokyo Drift" was amazing, and not seen in this movie. Although the movie was not a great love story, not a great car movie, and not a great revenge movie against bullies, it somehow worked in the end , and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not too bad

Author: ecliptic-vpn from United States
17 September 2011

This movie pulled me in. I won't say "It's not too bad", I'll say "It's pretty good".

The movie targets teenagers. That said, don't compare it to the Fast and Furious movies. Take the Fast and Furious crew and go back 10 to 15 years to when they were in high school and living under mom and dad's roof... then, you have Born to Race.

The cast is not Hollywood's hottest stars, but they give a good performance. The script and car knowledge is accurate. The only negative I have is: it's predictable. The kid gets in trouble with the police, mom sends him off to live with his father, the kid and his dad don't get along, now there's trouble at the new school... Now for my spoiler: Why did the mother let the kid take his car with him to his father's house? Bad parenting!

Read some poor reviews and.....

Author: deryckbryan from Jacksonville, FL
2 September 2012

Some of you are just ignorant and don't know what your talking about, its sad.

This is a pretty dang good movie for having next to no budget. And there are cars in this movie that are actually awesome, built rides unlike another street racing movie series....

I need to write more, so ill just let you know that a few of you posted some very untrue statements, which was awesome. I wont call you out because it must be nice living in your ignorant bliss. Wish i could do that.

So if your reading these, just watch the movie, give it a chance, there are no big names, but there are some recognizable faces.

A movie for car geeks

Author: tony-clifton from Edmonton, Canada
14 September 2012

.. and that's not a bad thing. Most car movies out there are entertainment-only movies for the general audience, so they are full of hammy dialog, hammy acting, hammy directing and inaccuracies about cars.

This is fairly accurate about cars (not perfect, but not outrageous either), has some hammy dialog but the acting and directing are quite competent compared with the Fast and the Furious.

I highly recommend this film for lovers of cars and drag racing in particular. It's also good to see street racers take it to the track like they should; although there are scenes of irresponsible driving, those scenes don't go well for the main character and the movie leads the audience morally in the right direction: to the track.