IMDb > Aftershock (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Narrative failure

Author: Harold Boss from Melbourne
20 May 2013

Unfortunately this movie looks a lot better in the trailer than it actually is. I'm giving it points for defying expectations but essentially this is a big flop of a movie. The narrative is unconventional to say the least. It spends a staggering 30minutes introducing three serious douchebags. One American, two Chileans. Not explained how they came to be roving around Chile, but they have money and not a lot of responsibility. You would imagine that after thirty minutes these guys are going to be the major characters. Surprise! Only one of these guys survives any distance into the disaster and during the latter half of the movie the main characters are three girls who are considerably less fleshed out than the guys we met first off.

That's not the only narrative flaw. Why is there such an effort made to introduce the girl with the wu-tang tattoo. Is she going to feature in the rest of the film? Nope. Are any of the character backgrounds actually important to the story or how they act under pressure? Not really. How come during the cable car crash (whatever it is) a crowded street suddenly becomes utterly deserted?

I guess the main purpose of this story is to show us that during a disaster death comes randomly, even to people who think they are the lead characters.

Pleasantly Surprised

Author: Robert Thorpe from United States
10 May 2013

I would not call this a horror film. A dark disaster film is more appropriate. The film is fun, lively and well done and acted. If not for a oddly timed and inappropriate character reveal that just makes you scratch your head and go huh? It was fun. The reveal was not even needed, especially when it did happen. It literally took me out of the film until it was resolved.

If your looking for something on the dark end, with horror type feel then check it out. It was good. It flowed really well and made sense how the characters got from one place to another. Well structured and honest.

Two Genres For The Price of One

Author: Greg (gregmoroberts@yahoo.com) from Oakville, Ontario
13 September 2012

Ahhhh Chile. The women, the night life, the gorgeous greenery of the terrain. Chile is beautiful country. That is partly why American Gringo (Eli Roth) and pals Ariel (Ariel Levy) and Pollo (Nicolas Martinez) love it so much. Their adventures in Chile would be the envy of any man. And when the trio hook up with three smoking hot women, Kylie, Irina and Monica (Lorenza Izzo, Natasha Yarovenko and Andrea Osvart, respectively), the whole potential adventure fun meter goes off the chart. The six friends find themselves having such a good time that they agree to all travel together to the coastal town of Valparaiso. As the night becomes early morning, the group find themselves enjoying the dance clubs the city has to offer. But their night of reckless unabandon turns into terror when an 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits the city turning their paradise into a mound of death and ruins where our protagonists must survive everything from looters, escaped convicts and the constant aftershocks in the earthquake's wake. Aftershock is written and directed by Nicols Lpez (Eli Roth takes a co-writing credit) who uses true stories of the real 8.8 magnitude earthquake that hit Chile in 2010 as the basis for his survival film. Shot in Chile, many of the scenes were set in areas that still remain in ruin after the powerful disaster. This gives an authentic and realism feel to a film that is as hard to believe as it would be as plausible to accept. The first half of the film is a disaster movie true and true. We spend a good time getting to know our characters and I would suggest that knowing Eli Roth was involved will give audiences the patience in knowing that the set up is worth the pay off. When the earthquake hits, the chaos begins and bodies (and their parts) are thrown around screen in wild grotesqueness. As the six main characters attempt to escape onto the street, the devastation engulfs them. But they must quickly gather themselves in fear of a tsunami warning that is ringing throughout the city. Running, screaming and reacting to the city in ruins takes us to past the half way mark of Aftershock. But then director Lpez switches gears and Aftershock becomes a horror movie with evil characters and murders rampaging through the streets in search of women and blood. The script penned by Lpez and Roth continues to surprise throughout. Every death comes as a shock and how they pass is even more shocking. Don't bother guessing who will survive as the script has no 'untouchables' and everyone is fair game. Eli Roth accepts his first top billing role and plays the nerd, gringo perfectly. Bloodsoaked and searching for safe haven, he is the personality that propels the first quarter of the film only to pass off his full frame attention to actor Nicols Martnez and the rest of the surviving team. There are plenty of Roth-isms to be found in Aftershock. The violence and gore is violent and gory. People are impaled, burned, shot and murdered with axes. And the final scene was something that we are sure Eli had his hands all over relishing in the idea of closure. Aftershock was a crowd favorite at the Toronto International Film Festival Midnight Madness showing and it is easy to see why. Fans get a bit of everything parts disaster movie, parts horror, parts thriller, parts titillating comedy. We enjoyed ourselves immensely in the adventure. We were involved enough with our characters that didn't care that it switched focus (and genre's) halfway through. We are just glad that we survived the screening and we can't wait to watch it again. A result of the word-of-mouth at the festival got Aftershock a distribution deal with Dimension Films. No release date has been set, but you can expect to see Aftershock hit theatres before long.

This is a good edge of your seat movie

Author: dattatek from Canada
21 May 2013

This movie should be a lot higher than 4.5...It starts off like a typical comedy fun movie then takes a drastic turn with the disaster...Then the movie turns into a gripping thriller type movie that had a lot of things happen i would never expect...It kept me glued to the screen. There is so much crap out there these days that this is certainly a nice change to see...Most of the reviews here certainly don't baseanything on the entertainment factor which this movie certainly packs a punch in. I believe it should be at least rated 6 for that alone.Maybe because it is fairly new it has had a chnace to rate higher...But I honestly do not understand all off the negative comments. Please give it a watch an let me know.

An edge of your seat spine tingler

Author: sinnerofcinema from United States
11 May 2013

I read a so - so review of this film in the L.A. Weekly and several things caught my attention. Im not sure what movie the reviewer saw but it definitely was not "Aftershock". Not sure if main stream reviewers find it necessary to destroy anything that goes against the grain. As far as this picture is concerned, all I have to say is "GO SEE IT!!". It an incredible film with some very real scenarios about things that would really happen would there be an aftershock in a country say... Chile... or any other country for that matter where such an enormous disaster would cause social turmoil. The characters were real and the situations were even more intense leaving the audience fixed to their seats until the very bitter end. Unfortunately when I went to see this film, there were only three or four cats in the five o clock showing of this film on a Saturday...not good. But then, a lot of these great films are not getting the chance and exposure needed to succeed in an already over saturated marketplace. However, I do highly recommend you give this film a chance. It will grip you and toss you around like a bad ass roller coaster ride..so with that said... enjoy the show!

Underrated, overlooked disaster horror in the vein Hostel

Author: amesmonde from Novelist of The Final Version
12 January 2014

On their last night out a group of travellers find themselves fighting for survival when an earthquake devastates South America.

Probably due to an abundance of sub-par modern style horrors debatably 2012's Aftershock is sorely underrated and overlooked. Reminiscent of the character build up that came with Eli Roth's own Hostel director Nicolás López delivers a hard hitting freely traditionally shot (no found footage here) well executed, gritty disaster film which successfully shocks with its unnerving set ups and exceptional special effects.

The cast are on fine form Natasha Yarovenko as Irina,Lorenza Izzo (Kylie) and Nicolás Martínez and Pollock re notable with with Roth himself putting in a good innings as a nameless dad referred to as Gringo. While it is gratuitous it's fitting to the story and tone as with the aforementioned as the leads try to survive the earthquakes aftershocks falling buildings, collapsing tunnels and the social unrest which ensues by escapee prisoners before a tsunami hits Chile.

It's well paced with fine cinematography by Antonio Quercia and music Manuel Riviero helps it capture some of the original magic which Roth's first outing did. Even though the ending scene may come as no surprise there are a few twists to peak interest.

While not a horror in the traditional sense with graphic amputations, rape, drugs, a human torch, shooting and murders to name a few, granted it will make the regular viewer wince but it's well written and sharply directed by López - forget the endless copycat films of the same sub-genre if you rated Hostel and part 2 this sleeper isn't one to miss.

Dora the explorer was more entertaining..

Author: denesn from Hungary
13 May 2013

Just finished watching it and i have to say, Aftershock is probably the worst movie i've ever seen. I've read other peoples reviews and it got me thinking; did they watch the same move as i did?! First of all the acting is painfully bad. So bad it almost made me want to throw something at the screen. The characters are really annoying (i was actually rooting for mother nature or the prisoners to catch and kill them all.*spoiler alert*they did,hurray) I don't even know what else to say cause the 'acting' was so awful it made me forget everything else about the movie. Only good thing was the beautiful music at the ending credits and the final 5 seconds when the tsunami chased down Miss Party killer. That's all.

Eeny meeny miny moe, catch Eli Roth by his toe

Author: McQualude from North Carolina
11 October 2013

Mother Nature lays the Smackdown on Chili. Something I like about Roth is that karma has no hold over his characters. It doesn't matter if you are a rich snob, a successful young mother, a rapist, or just a regular Joe; Roth and Nature are unfairly cruel. Act one is like a National Lampoon without nudity, basically a bunch of American tourists partying their asses off hoping to get laid. It's moderately entertaining but after 30 minutes you'll be double checking the description to make sure you didn't accidentally watch a romantic comedy and then the room shakes and zombie unicorns spew from the depths of hell and begin eating people. (okay, that didn't really happen) The last hour is a mad dash to safety. As tsunami sirens wail the only hope is a hospital on the hill and the only way up is a rickety old cable car that can only hold 6 people. (How did they build a hospital with only cable car access?) By this point you won't need reminding this is an Eli Roth horror movie, for better or worse, and you know it's going to be brutal. Is it good? It's okay. I was entertained but the first 30 minutes didn't add enough character development for me to care who lives and dies so it could have been tightened up a bit. A number of things were predictable but that isn't always a bad thing because it can add tension. Aftershock is brutal, it's mean spirited, it's unfair and no character is off limits. I was entertained.

Author: Peter Midknight
22 May 2013

Yes... and yes!!! You need to believe all the positive reviews! I have a huge grin taking up my whole face right now! That was fo-real! Whoa! powerful, powerful stuff. I was so skeptical to see what I thought was going to be a crap movie. Luckily I decided to believe the few that stood by this movie.

You have to see it. omg. Yes the effects could have been a tad and I mean a tiny bit better, but ho-boy that does not take away from the movie. though, this is a one time time watch. Do not skip it!

I was gripped. Yes it was a little slow but then it got amazing. I for one agree with the smooth build up. It was very fluffy vacation get-away with good friends, good times, then bam! After all, these crazy disasters usually strike without warning. I understand Eli Roth had something to do with the film and people say he was responsible for most of the gore, but wait a minute, the gore and tragedy are nowhere near this fluffy and nice in real life. I liked that Eli (if he was responsible for adding the realism) had sense to show us the real deal.

I really love how this movie shows us how fragile our civility is and how quickly it goes out the window and 'man' reverts back to its gorilla-cave-man true selves. I used to be a gov conspiracist and all that - down with corruption. But I'm damn opened arm to silly lies and deceptions when there's a choice between that and situations like in this movie. Once order is lost for just a few minutes, all hell breaks loose and this movie showed that flawlessly.

Rape and murder is the first thing on the menu. People are selfish and only wish to help themselves or to harm others.. without continuing the rant, I'll just say that it really puts a lot of things in perspective. As for the movie - stop reading this and go watch it, trust me! and don't skip ahead like some people suggest, the movie builds up and connects you to all the characters in just enough time that right when you say: okay enough partying, things are going well, I get it - bam! The movie kicks off. and the ending was perfect! beginning to end I had a hell of a ride and I'm so happy I saw this movie.

All I have to say is, when hell breaks loose, arm-up. A metal pipe or firearm will be more valuable than a med-kit. And thats a very sad fact that I hate to state.

this is a DISASTER movie..

Author: wdharvey11 from USA
21 September 2013

Some of the reviews here were expecting a horror movie, yet this is an updated version of the old disaster movies of the '70's, i.e. "Earthquake", "Towering Inferno", and "Poseidon Adventure". Personally, I thought the movie was well done. The "Prisoners" were stereotypically rapists and such...I don't know what prisoners are like in Chile...

Regardless, I'd recommend this movie if you like a disaster movie. Pretty good special effects, bad acting at times...but, what movie doesn't have all that, anyway?

Give it a shot...there's some gore, there's some cursing, there's a lot of violence. Not a total waste of time...excellent for a Saturday afternoon...

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]