IMDb > "Portlandia" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Portlandia"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Portlandia" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Above the standards for a sketch show

Author: salvodaze from Turkey
28 February 2011

Sketch shows are generally not my thing since they tend to follow a tradition of being campy. Portlandia, on the other hand, is damn straight (and most importantly consistently) funny. I mean where else could I look to see a smart parody of a radical feminist lesbian played by a feminist lesbian? Or catch a glimpse of Kaia Wilson as a cafe customer during a sketch? I realize that these are partially (OK so the latter, completely) personal reasons to enjoy the show only more. However I think that anyone who enjoys absurd comedy with some social criticism would really appreciate the show.

I don't believe that creativity and the will to work on it comes by easily, so call me old fashioned but when I see someone showing a good bit of it, I support it.

Portlandia defines a generation. Let me rephrase.

Author: jjnoahjames (jjnoahjames@hotmail.com) from United States
13 February 2011

Portlandia is a sketch comedy show that contains two main characters played by Fred Armisen of SNL fame and Carrie Brownstein of popular band Sleater Kinney. These two come up with rad skits in which they play Hippy Vegans, Cult members, Cos Play characters, and Yuppies just to name a few. Every episode contains famous actors, which add to the fun!!

Port goes stageless! SNL, and Kids in The Hall take place on stages or sets. Port does not. This gives it a more authentic reality show feel which makes it more accessible and less artificial.

This show makes me feel like I know these people or grew up with them. They make fun of things me and my friends make fun of. Everyday young adults, who understand punk, politics, indie rock, college life, and getting over all of that will relate.

Portlandia is a 9 1/2 star show yet it's not over the top. It's not pretentious. This is why Port is for now. This generation. It's almost like a consistently funny SNL. An SNL that doesn't make fun of pop culture but rather everyday life. Therefore it's easy to laugh at again and again.

Though it's great Port lacks just little in two areas rewatchability and characters. If they could just some more stable characters and focus a little bit more on consistent relationships (non sketch stuff) to give the audience something to look forward to than maybe next season it will be a 10.

"Just one more episode ..."

Author: dunks58 from Australia
9 September 2012

If you like sketch comedy but have not yet discovered this series, take my advice - see this show. 'Portlandia' is, for me at least, the best American sketch comedy series I've seen since 'Upright Citizens Brigade'.

I don't know how accurately it depicts Portland and its denizens, but I do know that (A) it really makes me want to visit there and (B) it really, really makes me laugh.

Carrie Brownstein is new to me as comedian, though I of course know her musical work with indie darlings Sleater-Kinney. The brilliantly versatile Fred Armisen has deservedly earned a big fan base (including my family) through his work on SNL. Yet, who could have predicted that this combination of talent, in such an off-the-wall concept, could work so well? It really does, and I want to congratulate all associated with the series, notably the legendary Lorne Michaels for once again nurturing talents like Fred and Carrie and giving them the chance to do a great show like this.

Once you get the style and shape of the show, you'll be hooked. The sketches are, for the most part, really good and some (e.g. Chicken Farm, One More Episode of Galactica) are destined to become enduring classics.

The stars (in their multiple roles) are ably assisted by a fine cast of supporting performers and a BIG highlight of the series is the many surprising and hilarious cameo appearances, including people like Edward James Olmos, Aimee Mann and Greg Louganis (playing themselves) and of course the wonderful Kyle McLachlan as the Mayor. These bits work not only because of who the stars are, but also because in just about every case they are perfect for and in the sketch (c.f. Eddie Vedder's great cameo in the "boyfriend's tattoo" sketch).

Thanks Fred and Carrie and all the cast and crew - it's been a real delight to discover such a clever, quirky, inventive comedy series that consistently takes unexpected turns, gives a lot of laughs, and leaves you wanting more every time.

First season: 10 stars...Second season - 2 stars

Author: qormi from United States
1 January 2012

This show completely cracks me up. The strange characters portrayed by these talented people are too funny. The subtle humor and lack of a laugh track is something that is lacking on television. The mayor is a total pretentious jerk that probably reminds a lot of us of our bosses. The bizarre humor in the show is completely original and unrelenting. I hate it when they have back-to-back episodes on Saturday mornings because I can't get out of bed - can't turn it off. The bookstore women, the cult, the dumpster divers, the gender-reversed couple, the Portland "Thinkers"....too funny. It's the best thing to hit television since "Fernwood 2 Nite", circa 1975. This just in...the second season sucked. I removed 4 stars.

Painfully dull and unfunny

Author: fistamamanbush from United States
17 June 2016

One of those safe shows you hear everyone raving about. I gave this several chances, as I wondered what I was missing. All of the gags are DOA, I've never once even smirked at this safe pablum. I think the popularity of this God awful show is that everything safe, and all the humor, if you can call it that, is aimed at millennials. The jokes are based on observational humor specifically hipster culture in portland, which is just hipster culture. The problem is that all all the gags are nerfed, there isn't a single biting, or sharp observation in this show. Every single "jab" at these hipster conventions is gentle and designed for the hipsters to laugh at, because they are in on the joke. Also, all the targets are stereotypes so broad, this show needn't take place in Portland as all the jokes are totally generic, and run for far too long. This show feels like SNL - lame sketches that overstay their welcome. Jesus they did an ENTIRE episode about a bit where a lady didn't want to eat Tsukemen a certain way and the noodles came to life in a painfully tedious and unfunny episode length sketch that should have lasted 3 minutes at most. This show is just bizzzzaaaad.

Painful to watch, and I'm from Portland

Author: spodhi from United States
13 February 2016

Portland is a unique place, to say the least. When this show first started, I had hoped for a show that captured the vibrancy of the NW. The show does touch on topics of interest from the area. People raising chickens in town...the love of micro brews...the music scene.

Unfortunately, it is just painful to try and watch!

Think of SNL. They often have just a couple of skits that make you laugh. The rest are just failing attempts. Portlandia feels as if they swept up SNL's leftovers that fell on the floor, changed to a Portland theme, and then tossed it at us. I truly hope that this show will end some day soon! It would also be great, if they could tell the viewers that this is TV and not real. It is amazing, how many people move here because of the show??? Maybe, they should do an episode about the brutally high rent, lack of jobs, 7 1/2 months of rain and the increasing dis like of hipsters by the city.

I have yet to laugh at this show, or be able to make it through a complete episode. Thumbs down!

Armisen and Brownstein at their finest

Author: GSF from United States
11 April 2015

I never would have guessed that punk rocker Carrie Brownstein was this funny, and as for Fred Armisen, after 12 years on SNL, I naturally assumed those to be the peak of Armisen's sketch comedy genius, but then: Portlandia.

The characters are memorable (i.e. Feminist bookstore ladies) and the sketches are spot on at capturing the essence of hipster culture, various more generalized societal woes and everyday struggles.

Excerpt from Shocking Art Supplies sketch: "We've got baby doll parts; you can put them together any way you want" "Here's a radical juxtaposition; the butt is in the front" "What does that say about society"

As an art student,I took to this one, however every episode is packed with hilarious critiques and comedic genius from the dynamic duo Armisen and Brownstein.

Very Enjoyable !

Author: meganddavies from United Kingdom
5 March 2015

After stumbling across this on Netflix I thought I'd give it a go, and I am very happy I did ! Armisen and Brownstein are a perfect duo who work well together and always manage to disappear fully into their characters. Whilst its not always laugh out loud funny (although I'm not sure that's exactly what they're aiming for anyway) I do always get a good giggle out of it. The show creates a wonderfully of-kilter world that is fun to dive in to for 20 minutes at a time, and immerse yourself in the little bubble that is Portlandia ! There's also some great cameos from stars such as Jeff Goldblum, Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader who always provide excellent comic relief, however Armisen and Brownstein do such a great job of pulling the show off on their own it's worth watching just to see them work together.

from the eyes of a native

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
27 September 2012

"Portlandia" is a parody of/homage to the City of Roses, depicting scenarios that look like typical Portland occurrences. "Saturday Night Live" cast member Fred Armisen and singer Carrie Brownstein play various characters that truly represent the city, with occasional guest stars. This is not a sitcom in the common sense. It's filmed on location, and the humor is sort of like the kind in Christopher Guest's movies. "Portlandia" isn't a masterpiece of a show, but it's a very fun look at my hometown. I can affirm that it's a pretty accurate portrayal. And a very funny one. This show probably won't be for everyone, but if you like quirky stuff then you'll probably enjoy it.

Brilliant

Author: scottrowley1643 from United States
7 February 2012

This is brilliant. It is so offbeat and quirky..very enjoyable. It may not be for everyone but you'll know right away if it's for you. The writing is so good. This isn't your ridiculous run-of-the-mill network comedy. You have met some of the characters before...self involved do-gooders, aged hippies, counter culture losers, the politically correct, protect the dogs but forget the people, people variously stuck in the 70s,80s and 90s all offbeat and most amusing. Portlandia will not appeal to people who enjoy: Jersey Shore, 2 1/2 Men, WWE. It may appeal to people who like: Walking Dead, Jericho, Breaking Bad. However, give it a go...you will know..."the dream of the 90s is alive in Portland".

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]